I just ordered a KS 18xl

kasenutty

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Having not yet ridden the 16X, I have to speculate. The Tesla is a fantastic wheel, kind of forgotten about because of all the flurry of new wheels. Very nimble and high performance.

I'm anticipating the 16X to be closer to the ACM than the Tesla. Primarily due to the weight (all of the those batteries) and width (all of those batteries, and thick tire). The added component which I can't predict how it will affect the ride, is the 3-inch tire.

So I think the Tesla will be more nimble and faster than the 16X. But how the shell hits your legs, and the pedal height, really affect the riding characteristics. The 16X may still ride closer to the Tesla than the squat ACM. Really can't predict.

I think the Tesla still holds its own against any wheel here or forthcoming. If range isn't a factor, I'm not sure the 16X would be a compelling "upgrade" over the Tesla unless you love the style and wide tire. If range is eh, than maybe I'd go for the 18XL to get the 18-inch experience.

Tough choices that I'm glad I don't have to make. The one mitigating factor is that regardless of the wheel you get, it's going to be great wheel.

This is the thing, and why I'm unsure. 

Though it looks like the XL would be the best choice for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Tough choices that I'm glad I don't have to make. The one mitigating factor is that regardless of the wheel you get, it's going to be great wheel.

And you can always buy yet another wheel...right?😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olav said:

I just saw you are from Norway. This might help you out. www.e-wheels.no have the KS18XL or were incomming last I checked. It is a shop in Drammen and they advertise you can test ride a wheel before you buy it. They seem cheap too. As for reputation I don't know in that reguard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Olav said:

Yeah, I sense through the Internet wires that you need to try an 18-inch wheel :)

It has to be asked, why not consider the MSX? The KS18XL is superior in build quality, and does ride a bit more like a smaller wheel, but the MSX is a great cruising wheel with its immense tire and impressive power. It has a reputation of being a reliable wheel.

Just trying to make your choices a bit harder ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

I just saw you are from Norway. This might help you out. www.e-wheels.no have the KS18XL or were incomming last I checked. It is a shop in Drammen and they advertise you can test ride a wheel before you buy it. They seem cheap too. As for reputation I don't know in that reguard.

They're the ones I bought the Tesla from :)

But they don't have the best reputation though :blink:, but as you say, they're cheap.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That was just a plain and deep down evil move :ph34r::w00t2:a pure wheel.monster you are Mr. "Mortimer" @Marty Backe

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Olav said:

They're the ones I bought the Tesla from :)

But they don't have the best reputation though :blink:, but as you say, they're cheap.

I smell a test ride is in order. :popcorn:

So what can you share about their reputation issues?

Edited by Unventor

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I sense through the Internet wires that you need to try an 18-inch wheel :)

It has to be asked, why not consider the MSX? The KS18XL is superior in build quality, and does ride a bit more like a smaller wheel, but the MSX is a great cruising wheel with its immense tire and impressive power. It has a reputation of being a reliable wheel.

Thanks.... :P

I like the safety-features KS gives, and I like the look of the KS a little bit better than the MSX.

@Unventor: You're closer to e-wheels/Drammen than me ;) (nearly half the driving time I would need to get there). So a test ride is unlikely :( (We all don't live in Oslo :P;))

Edited by Olav
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Olav said:

So I'm also thing along the lines on the XL. But would then have to get the XL-plates as well (as I believe the norwegian seller doesn't sell it with the big plates). Buying it of off Speedyfeet would be significantly more expensive (about 25% with todays rates, before shipping...).

To my knowledge...NO european seller is selling it with the big pedals....

If you want a special offer for the 18XL...contact 1radwerkstatt.de! By Mail...refer to me!

Tell them about your need for the big pedals and ask them todo a complete offer....

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You have a lot to look forward to. You think that your 16S is a little rocket (which it is from your perspective). But it's a dog relative to the modern wheels. I'm not saying this to offend (I'm sure you understand), but to make you salivate over the wheel choices you have in front of you. Good times lay ahead :w00t2:

HOW DARE THEE! Yeah, you're right, lmfao. I went on a group ride on saturday. My first ever. And I just...i couldnt even believe the power. I swear i just saw peoples after images, lol. It was a struggle keeping up on the street with the organizers msuperX. He just ate all road and sidewalk imperfections and took off. Even when riding casually so we could keep up, you could tell his wheel just offered so much power in the way in handled. It was crazy. I havent tried them, but i can tell that these newer wheels are something else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

@seage i can feel what you’re saying. Before the video from kuji came out i was totally convinced that iam gonna go with the 18xl, after a few weeks of research. 

But when i saw the 16x i thought oh shit here we go again, i went back and forth, but at the end i thought naa I’ll stick with the 18xl mainly because the 16x is coming out to late and i dont want to be the tester for the first batch plus i want an 18 incher.

So i will get the 18xl for this year and get the 16x for next year when all the technical teething are outsourced.;)

This is more or less exactly what I thought too. I have an MSX and Ks16C, but the latter needs replacing, and I want to have options. The 16x is bound to have teething problems and I'd rather know the product I have is matured when I buy it. Not that I can really afford to buy another new wheel this season anyway.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

@seage i can feel what you’re saying. Before the video from kuji came out i was totally convinced that iam gonna go with the 18xl, after a few weeks of research. 

But when i saw the 16x i thought oh shit here we go again, i went back and forth, but at the end i thought naa I’ll stick with the 18xl mainly because the 16x is coming out to late and i dont want to be the tester for the first batch plus i want an 18 incher.

So i will get the 18xl for this year and get the 16x for next year when all the technical teething are outsourced.;)

Even with kuji's video i was like, 18 still, lets go! But then this forum made me rethink. But yeah, gonna stay headstrong. 

Once I can afford another wheel, and with my experience with both sizes, i'll look at the 16x or whatever fancy stuff is out at that time, haha. 

You guys are dangerous to my wallet...

Guess what?!

:P:thumbup:

@The Fat Unicyclist Have to wait to purchase the bodyguard, the wheel (and XL-plates) put a significant dent in my wallet :cry2:

Maybe May... (when the wheel has had its share of mishaps :P) and then can cover the damages nicely B)

Edited by Olav
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Olav said:

You guys are dangerous to my wallet...

Guess what?!

:P:thumbup:

@The Fat Unicyclist Have to wait to purchase the bodyguard, the wheel (and XL-plates) put a significant dent in my wallet :cry2:

Maybe May... (when the wheel has had its share of mishaps :P) and then can cover the damages nicely B)

This is just a start. 

Btw I got both for my KS18L and have not regretted it.

The biggest change was the pedals. I would go for those first if I had to choose.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, seage said:

Looks like i'll be riding an 18xl in about a week. 

Damn it, @seage!  Here I thought us two new guys could could both sit around enviously listening for a while to all these people talk about how awesome their 18xl is and instead I have to hear it from you too now LOL. Just kidding, congrats!

Some day...

Edited by Blueblade
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Blueblade said:

Damn it, @seage!  Here I thought us two new guys could could both sit around enviously listening for a while to all these people talk about how awesome their 18xl is and instead I have to hear it from you too now LOL. Just kidding, congrats!

Some day...

Lmao! Sorry mate. My impatience and addiction took over. Soon though, you can join the party. OR, be even cooler and get a next gen wheel when we all find out the 16x is just super overpowered, or they announce the 18XL+ with an electric jet engine and an alien power source. lmao.. Thank you XD

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 3:40 PM, Marty Backe said:

Gun to your head, if you were me which wheel would you buy as an upgrade to a 16S? I realise how subjective this is, just wondering where you lean

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I had to wait a couple years for mine, you noobs are spoiled :D 

I joined this world at the right time, it seems. First off, i have money for the first time in generations. And second, there are a bunch of high performance, vetted wheels to play with! Im lucky, hahaha. Now to make it to friday. 

Oh btw, does this wheel have 2 speed locks on it? I know you cant override the speed lock from 40kmph-50kmph but theres one before that too, isnt there?

• Like 1

Oh, okay. I'll be picking my wheel up from downtown toronto from a friends. I'll probably unlock it riding in circles.