I just ordered a KS 18xl

kasenutty

2 hours ago, erk1024 said:

It's been a month, but who's counting the days? Not me! Two weeks ago it was on a slow boat from China. Last week it was in Double Secret X-Ray Super Fun Fun customs inspection. So it will show up eventually. When customs stops sitting on it like a mother hen trying to hatch an egg. Probably. Maybe. If the not-entirely-competent Florida delivery guys don't give it to Big Dave, a bum in Miami who lives in a rowboat. If the confirmation signature says DAVE then I'll know just where to go.

But you know, I can still have fun. I can obsessively read the forums. I can order more boxes of body armor to add to my collection. So far I've got two helmets, two sets of wrist guards, knee pads, elbow pads, boots, gloves and an armored mesh jacket. I wear the gear when I type forum posts at my computer. I can watch Chooch and Tishawn, and Solowheel tutorials. Oh, there's the doorbell, I bet it's my 3D printed wheel stand... :P

Hahaha I feel you on this

• Like 1

I rode my XL into work for the first time this spring, it was so cooooooold, but it will be way nicer later. The 18XL is definitely better for going to work on than my 16s, distance is about 8-9 miles (14 km) and it took me about 25 minutes. My eyes are on fire because my wife put my goggles away somewhere secret and it's apparently my fault for leaving them on a table or something :D 

• Like 2

Guest PogArt Artur
5 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I rode my XL into work for the first time this spring, it was so cooooooold, but it will be way nicer later. The 18XL is definitely better for going to work on than my 16s, distance is about 8-9 miles (14 km) and it took me about 25 minutes. My eyes are on fire because my wife put my goggles away somewhere secret and it's apparently my fault for leaving them on a table or something :D 

That's great you've started commuting!

I'm commuting 4miles one way,and it takes me the same time, less than 30min!

Lol :)

I think I can't beat it up, if I go on pavements...

I'd have to move on the streets to speed up the journey.

But I'm afraid, because of cops around the town...

I got my 18XL today and it is now charging. I did a 6 km ride tonight and pumped the tire to 2.9 bars. It actually felt better with 2 bars. 

Overall the feeling was very similar to the V10F. Felt almost exactly the same and almost as nimble. Maybe a bit more hesitation on breaking. 

But I cannot say I am happy with this purchase yet. I’m stuck at 20 km/h. The app experience is absolutely horrible. I cannot understand why they torture us with this bullshit. There is something seriously wrong with some people at KingSong who decided this UX is a good idea. I have to beg for help here at the forum to get advice on the simplest setting that I can think off. What other setting is there that people want to change other than speed once the first 5 km is done?? And this simple setting is made so difficult to change!!

494DA631-5FE8-463D-9000-F82B60F21A4E.png

542CD475-8E9C-4F40-9A5F-58AF1967F4E8.jpeg

5A87F37C-B152-41C9-B4DE-D259968656E3.png

Edited by UniVehje
  • Like 2

Just now, svenomous said:

That's weird, @UniVehje...what's the tiltback set to (I can't see it in this screenshot)?  It has to be a value >= the third-level alarm.

Cannot make it more than 20 km/h

Oh, I see, so it's the initial speed restriction.  It hought that lifts after a few km (as you said, @UniVehje), and then it becomes 40kmh max for a while (until you reach some other threshold like 200km or something like that).  You're saying it isn't lifting for you despite having reached the minimum distance?

6 minutes ago, svenomous said:

Oh, I see, so it's the initial speed restriction.  It hought that lifts after a few km (as you said, @UniVehje), and then it becomes 40kmh max for a while (until you reach some other threshold like 200km or something like that).  You're saying it isn't lifting for you despite having reached the minimum distance?

Seems like it. It doesn’t lift automatically and the setting part of the app doesn’t work. 

Also running into another problem. Many times the wheel says ”bluetooth is off” when turning it on or plugging in the charger. How the hell is it turned on without the app? And I cannot connect the app without bluetooth. 

12 minutes ago, svenomous said:

Setting speed requires having an active KS account with the app registered to it, and an available Internet connection, and the KS servers being up and running, since apprarently there's some kind of handshake done with KS to "authenticate" the request to change speed settings.  Every time.  I read that in another thread.

Thanks, good info. I have registered and with active account (that was a horrible process itself). My problem could be that their servers are not running. 

• Like 1

@UniVehje, this may seem drastic, but you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and going through the wheel connection and app account login process again from scratch (using the account you already created).  Getting my account going was a horrible process for me, too, btw, I had to use my e-mail address as the phone number based setup just wasn't working for me.  Someone in another thread you're on suggested trying DarknessBot (iOS, right?), which is worth pursuing.  Both apps work for me (although usually one has to be force-quite for the other to connect...but not always), but DarknessBot gives me an error when I try to change speed settings on the wheel.  It warns it's an experimental feature, and when I try to use it, it seems to try for a few seconds and then tells me it failed.  So far, the KS app (the new one with the black backgrounds and the white app tile) has worked fine for me, though, with only a couple of weird glitches where settings have "changed back" between two rides.

@UniVehje a small tip for you. 

When my phone is rputer connected I tend not to be able to reach KS servers though the App. 

But when phone it only mobiledata connection it tends to work much better.

From what I've read, initially the wheel does not allow setting a 3rd level alarm and tiltback higher than 20km/h (12.4mph), but after a few km total accumulated per the KS app's counter (I can't find the reference for how many km, though) the upper limit is raised to 40km/h (24.9mph), and after 200km the limit is raised to 50km/h (31.1mph).  The set values (sliders) don't raise themselves, though; one must proactively monitor km/miles ridden and remember to go into the app and raise the sliders when a higher limit is known to have become available.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tessa25 said:

Good to know. I would probably never change the settings after the first time and I'm not one for installing firmware updates on a properly functioning device.

I haven't opened the factory (cr)app for months, and I ride several times a week.  If it was an actual physical thing, @kasenutty s wife would have tidied it away for me (translastion: never to be seen again)

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

I rode to work again today. My mileage is at 193 km so I should be able to  unlock max speed after I ride home tonight. I pushed it pretty hard this morning and this wheel is a beast. 

I'm following your updates, because this wheel is on my upgrade list.

There's three wheels so far :

1/Ninebot Z10

2/KS18XL 

3/KS16X  :)

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

I'm following your updates, because this wheel is on my upgrade list.

There's three wheels so far :

1/Ninebot Z10

2/KS18XL 

3/KS16X  :)

Those are all good choices. Look at any of the Gotways? I'm kind of a KS fanboy, but some of the GW stuff looks cool too. I've tried them and they're nice also :D 

Guest PogArt Artur
9 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Those are all good choices. Look at any of the Gotways? I'm kind of a KS fanboy, but some of the GW stuff looks cool too. I've tried them and they're nice also :D 

Don't ask me why, but I've never looked at any Kingsong when I were researching for my first EUC to start with...?

Don't know, I just didn't like that name? Kingsong... lol :)

I think that was big mistake, as they are quite popular and good EUCs :)

Now again - the Gotway!

I'm not considering any of those, lol :)

Is there something wrong with me? Lol :)

Anyway, the big advantage to me is the greater range, and so far the 18XL shines ...