I'm surprised I don't see many posts about people loving their KS18L

joku

A lot of people have received their KS18L's by now. But why don't I see more posts with people saying things like "OMG! I love the KS18L!", "Best money I've ever spent!", etc... ? Was it overhyped and just an okay product?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're too busy riding them.  :innocent1:  I had a chance to zoom around on my Tesla yesterday, and even at 71% charge down to 30% it still zipped around like a little demon.  Someone in a car pulled up asking what it was that I was riding, and after telling them I did a little speed demo.  I thought they would catch up to me down the street, but I didn't see them before I turned the corner.  I usually like to start riding at a full charge to be sure I have enough juice to sustain 48 kph, but I still was able to hit 44 kph with no issues.  I did intentionally dial down the speed a bit knowing my battery wasn't full, but my average still ended up  to be about 28 kph.  :efeec46606: 

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

They're too busy riding them.  :innocent1:  I had a chance to zoom around on my Tesla yesterday, and even at 71% charge down to 30% it still zipped around like a little demon.  Someone in a car pulled up asking what it was that I was riding, and after telling them I did a little speed demo.  I thought they would catch up to me down the street, but I didn't see them before I turned the corner.  I usually like to start riding at a full charge to be sure I have enough juice to sustain 48 kph, but I still was able to hit 44 kph with no issues.  I did intentionally dial down the speed a bit knowing my battery wasn't full, but my average still ended up  to be about 28 kph.  :efeec46606: 

This post put a nice smile on my face.... My new Tesla will be here between 9 and 1 tomorrow FED EX from Jason... :thumbup:

usually people talk when something is either very bad or something special or very good. And the ks18L is neither. Its a great wheel. Though not special. Or bad either. So people get what they expect and then thats that. nothing special to tell. human nature

Beware the addiction though.  :ph34r:  It took a little while to get used to speeds higher than 25 kph, but after you get the feel for it, you just want to hit that beep limiter.  It's probably good that there are usually pedestrians around since it helps slow you down like a virtual speed bump.  Otherwise I'd be careening around at 48 kph all day... likely to my demise... :whistling:  I weigh about 167 pounds though so we each have to keep an eye on the limits very carefully as that point of failure is not static.

1 minute ago, Shad0z said:

usually people talk when something is either very bad or something special or very good. And the ks18L is neither. Its a great wheel. Though not special. Or bad either. So people get what they expect and then thats that. nothing special to tell

With all the stuff going on with "ALL" the new wheels, I think it just confirms what I was always told... mostly with new model cars... avoid trying to get the "New Model" right after it comes out, let them work out all the bugs and then buy it...

I guess its Honorable to be part of the solution in getting things Ironed out initially, but for me, I will wait till it's all good, then make my purchase, and even then there's no guarantee there will be no problems... 

3 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

With all the stuff going on with "ALL" the new wheels, I think it just confirms what I was always told... mostly with new model cars... avoid trying to get the "New Model" right after it comes out, let them work out all the bugs and then buy it...

I guess its Honorable to be part of the solution in getting things Ironed out initially, but for me, I will wait till it's all good, then make my purchase, and even then there's no guarantee there will be no problems... 

getting the newest model is probably a bad idea for every brand as of now. So better to wait a few batches. also kingsong. :D 

8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Beware the addiction though.  :ph34r:  It took a little while to get used to speeds higher than 25 kph, but after you get the feel for it, you just want to hit that beep limiter.  It's probably good that there are usually pedestrians around since it helps slow you down like a virtual speed bump.  Otherwise I'd be careening around at 48 kph all day... likely to my demise... :whistling:  I weigh about 167 pounds though so we each have to keep an eye on the limits very carefully as that point of failure is not static.

It was like this my first 2 months. After that i slowly started riding at about 30-40 kph for cruising instead of 50 :P

my first day i was riding 20 kph (midnight tough)

next day it was 30.. 35.. 3rd day. 50kph. And then i never stopped

after about a month i thought if was gonna be a problem. I even made a thread about it "how to enjoy riding slower speeds"

But it went away after time.

Kinda :D 

my inner devil still comes out and does the "leanz" when there is a satisfyingly straight road ahead :D 

19 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

It will never be All Good. When the model that you want get's refined, the next best thing will be just around the corner. As least that's the case in Gotway Land.

KingSong and Inmotion (and Ninebot) have nice long release cycles.

Isn't it the case with enthusiasts (us here in the Forum) of any human activity that we are the early adopters that help push things along? It has its risks and downsides, but it can be fun as hell to :w00t2:

24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Spoken by the cautious guy that secretly (buys super fast Tesla without telling anyone) turned into a speed demon overnight :D

20 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

my inner devil still comes out and does the "leanz" when there is a satisfyingly straight road ahead :D 

I do miss the Torque and rapid acceleration of the Tesla sometimes. I wonder what the replacement will be like.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

When the model that you want get's refined, the next best thing will be just around the corner

What I see around my corner is your freakin videos, and moments later my phone dialing Jason on speed dial... followed by needing to tighten my belt cause my wallet just shrunk... :roflmao:

:cheers:

:lol:  I still think it's crazy flying around on one wheel at 48 kph.  :efefd0f676:  It's just the look on people's faces that see you zooming around is priceless!  It's still fun at 25-35 kph, but when I know there's a familiar straight patch I'm gunning it!  :ph34r:  I rarely hit all five beeps at a time.  It's just a couple every now and then, and then the image of "Ron from Miami" flying off his Tesla gets referenced pretty darn quickly which makes me ease off.  :innocent1:

1 hour ago, joku said:

A lot of people have received their KS18L's by now. But why don't I see more posts with people saying things like "OMG! I love the KS18L!", "Best money I've ever spent!", etc... ? Was it overhyped and just an okay product?

The KS18L is a bit :yawn:   A solid wheel by all accounts, but not exciting. And it took so damn long to come out I think it's been eclipsed by other wheel releases.

And did anyone really say, "Wow, that is one cool looking wheel" when details started leaking. In contrast, look at the Ninebot Z-series. Or how about the MSuper X. To name a couple.

All the above is my opinion of course. Very subjective.

29 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

What I see around my corner is your freakin videos, and moments later my phone dialing Jason on speed dial... followed by needing to tighten my belt cause my wallet just shrunk... :roflmao:

:cheers:

:facepalm:   :D

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The KS18L is a bit :yawn:   A solid wheel by all accounts, but not exciting. And it took so damn long to come out I think it's been eclipsed by other wheel releases.

did u get to try one yet?

i was thinking it might fit u perfectly for shorter billy goat jaunts up the mountains.

33 minutes ago, novazeus said:

did u get to try one yet?

i was thinking it might fit u perfectly for shorter billy goat jaunts up the mountains.

No, and I won't be getting one. I won't need a 4th 18-inch wheel. My opinion could have been different if there was something compelling about the 18L, but it's rather ho-hum for me.

I really like the MSuper line of wheels. The reason that I'm buying the Z10 is the wow factor - it's so unique. For me personally, the 18L has no wow factor.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

No, and I won't be getting one. I won't need a 4th 18-inch wheel. My opinion could have been different if there was something compelling about the 18L, but it's rather ho-hum for me.

I really like the MSuper line of wheels. The reason that I'm buying the Z10 is the wow factor - it's so unique. For me personally, the 18L has no wow factor.

I am not looking for woe factor ?

What I am hoping for is a simple design that works and the wheel feels stable for "flatland"  crouising and short commuting. And more range than my Inmotion v8. The occasional option to ride on a dirt/gravel trail.

To me the KS18L seems to tick all those boxed.. kinda like a Volksvargen Golf GTI(German commuter car, sort of minimalistic but works) without being special build for racing.

The Z10 started to Enrique me but it does not seem to hit EU anyway soon so I am waiting out that one..maybe something to look forward to in 1or 2 years.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So is it fair to say that, "The KS18L is a bit " when you haven't tried one?

5 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So is it fair to say that, "The KS18L is a bit " when you haven't tried one?

I think it's a fair statement, although I should have added, "for me". I don't have to ride one to know that it doesn't excite me. I haven't read any gushing reviews that say it's a must-have wheel. I'm sure it's very nice but I doubt that it adds anything that I don't already have.

I'm saying it's :yawn: to me based more on the looks than anything. I just feel the whole KingSong lineup is long in the tooth. The 18L looks like an enlarged 16S which looks like an enlarged 14S.

Very subjective statements and I'm only speaking for myself. But going back to the title of this post, where is all the excitement for the 18L? Why aren't people gushing about it, etc.?

15 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I am not looking for woe factor ?

What I am hoping for is a simple design that works and the wheel feels stable for "flatland"  crouising and short commuting. And more range than my Inmotion v8. The occasional option to ride on a dirt/gravel trail.

To me the KS18L seems to tick all those boxed.. kinda like a Volksvargen Golf GTI(German commuter car, sort of minimalistic but works) without being special build for racing.

The Z10 started to Enrique me but it does not seem to hit EU anyway soon so I am waiting out that one..maybe something to look forward to in 1or 2 years.

And that's why it's wonderful that we have so many great quality choices for 2018. There's something for everyone.

I'll generate excitement for the wheels that excite me. I assume others will do the same for what turns them on.

Hello everyone this is my first post! Marty your YouTube posts are killer!

I got my 18L from eWheels by AirFreight about a week ago. I have been updating the firmware (1.07 Currently) and KingSong App. I have about 200 miles on the wheel. It is an incredible wheel!!! I own: Gotway Luffy, Gotway Mten3, Ninebot One S2, Ninebot One E+, and now KingSong 18L. I'v been riding for about 4 months. I chose it for the safety reputation of KingSong, although, ironically this wheel's release seems to be plagued with issues that could definitely become unsafe.

My weight is 175lbs and I usually ride streets that are rough with slight inclines/declines and light/moderate winds. I ride aggresively, darting and slaloming down the streets at around 18mph to 20mph, I haven't gotten above 22mph. I'm 5'4" and the wheel comes to the top of my knee; this is part of the magic of this wheel for me. The wheel is slim and I can easily hug the sides with my ankle, calf, and knee. I have small feet and the pedals are large with good griptape traction.

This combination of ergonomics makes the wheel feel locked-in to my whole body. The tire has aggressive tread on the outer edges and has a round profile allowing the wheel to ride curved streets and sloped trails with natural angles. I can lean from left to right while slaloming and cornering with steep angles, and I use the quick acceleration to adjust for loose gravel/speed wobbles/street imperfections. Feels natural like the machine is part of me, Tron! Ha! Moves up steep hills with ease at 18mph.

I don't like the sound, its loud at high speed. Not bothersome to me because of wind-whip, but annoying to others. The headlight is usable at low speeds, but not enough for fast night rides. The large tire handles rough streets with ease. Battery life is about 40 miles with my conditions, haven't taken it below 30%. Takes about 7 hours to charge with included charger. Trolley handle rattles in the body when I go over bumps at high speed. 

I love, love, love this wheel!!!

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

i totally agree. I was on a group ride with 3 new ks18l. Its like the telsa performance just bigger. and little less torque. Nothing new or special in that wheel. But its good. No new tire, middle of the road battery. Its like a giant ks14s that rides like an 18' tesla

nothing new and special. But nothing bad either. Its just a good wheel with good specs 

I would be excited about 18L... If I had one. Still waiting for delivery. :efee8c29ce:

What I'm looking for is best "All Purpose" new wheel. I want to take it to malls, commute to work daily, go for a 50km long rides on nice roads, go for some minor off road, take it with me to bus / train, trolley it comfortably while walking with friends, have one sided races with cyclists / scooter riders , easily maneuver around pedestrians on busy pavements... basically live on the wheel :eff034a94a:

V8 was wonderful for most of those scenarios, but range was too limiting and those e-scooters can be too fast to keep up with. Out of the new wheels, KS18L is best for my needs. It maybe doesn't have "wow factor" but it is practical choice and enough exciting for me.

Archived