I'm surprised I don't see many posts about people loving their KS18L

joku

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

A way to look at the 200km bullshit is that every wheel they make they want to make sure it runs for 200km before feeling it is safe enough to unlock.  Kind of like what we do with PC's when we build them.  What we do is run them for a week at full tilt, if they are fine after the week of "burn in", then you are fine for many years of trouble free enjoyment.  Because if a PC were to fail, it would most likely fail in the burn in period.  

Anyway, this is my thinking and if they came from PC's, they are thinking the same way with the wheels.  If after 200km, nothing happens to the wheel, you are good with many years of trouble free enjoyment.  

It really isn't about skill of the rider, more safety of the equipment validation.

that is a good reason. much better than blaming it on the rider. 

I ❤️ my KS18L. It's much faster than I'd possibly need anywhere, it's goes quietly and smoothly, very comfortably. I didn't have to get my legs used to it, just started riding it like I was doing it for months. It ignores all types of pavement and front/side wind. All bumps feel twice smaller comparing to riding over them with KS16S.

The trolley handle is traditionally flimsy, headlight sometimes blinds people in front, but that's about it. It works and I ride it every day.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:07 PM, Marty Backe said:

It will never be All Good. When the model that you want get's refined, the next best thing will be just around the corner. As least that's the case in Gotway Land.

KingSong and Inmotion (and Ninebot) have nice long release cycles.

Isn't it the case with enthusiasts (us here in the Forum) of any human activity that we are the early adopters that help push things along? It has its risks and downsides, but it can be fun as hell to :w00t2:

And expensive too.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:35 PM, Shad0z said:

Its a great wheel. Though not special. 

Did I miss something here? It's special because it has one wheel, and  by your own admission, the 18L is a great wheel. I don't imagine that I will see too many people beside me in the bike lanes on one wheel. EUCs are still a rarity in the world and that makes them all special. Even the wheels that do not conform to your personal tastes (apparently like the KS 18L), are special at this point in the game. It takes all kinds in a market, and many types of products to supply the demand. Some people will think that their product is the most special because it has the longest range or fastest speed; but those attributes are not special for all buyers. Others will think that their wheel is most "special" because it was more exquisitely designed and with greater apparent care and sophistication; that attribute is also not "special" for every buyer. I have watched plenty of videos; enough to satisfy my curiosity about the wheels (18L and MSX mainly) in which I have some interest. The videos I have watched covered the gamut from unboxings, first impressions, range tests, riding impressions, stunts, maneuvering mastery show-off clips, and today I watched what I considered a very extreme and potentially expensive overheat test on an MSX ??.

You should clarify what is your very subjective criteria for "special" because it sounds contradictory, at least to me, to say that a basically rare/uncommon product is "great," but not "special." I just ordered an 18L for my son because I think that it is a very "special" wheel and a great fit for his lifestyle. On the other hand, I am considering the MSX as my personal wheel because of its range capability, and because my son thinks that it would be cool if we could do some some brand-swapping around the house from time-to-time. If I buy the MSX and absolutely abhor it, then I will ride it and swap it when KS releases the rumored 2060wh range 18L. If I love it, then there will be a Gotway in the fam.

9 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Did I miss something here? It's special because it has one wheel, and  by your own admission, the 18L is a great wheel. I don't imagine that I will see too many people beside me in the bike lanes on one wheel. EUCs are still a rarity in the world and that makes them all special. Even the wheels that do not conform to your personal tastes (apparently like the KS 18L), are special at this point in the game. It takes all kinds in a market, and many types of products to supply the demand. Some people will think that their product is the most special because it has the longest range or fastest speed; but those attributes are not special for all buyers. Others will think that their wheel is most "special" because it was more exquisitely designed and with greater apparent care and sophistication; that attribute is also not "special" for every buyer. I have watched plenty of videos; enough to satisfy my curiosity about the wheels (18L and MSX mainly) in which I have some interest. The videos I have watched covered the gamut from unboxings, first impressions, range tests, riding impressions, stunts, maneuvering mastery show-off clips, and today I watched what I considered a very extreme and potentially expensive overheat test on an MSX ??.

You should clarify what is your very subjective criteria for "special" because it sounds contradictory, at least to me, to say that a basically rare/uncommon product is "great," but not "special." I just ordered an 18L for my son because I think that it is a very "special" wheel and a great fit for his lifestyle. On the other hand, I am considering the MSX as my personal wheel because of its range capability, and because my son thinks that it would be cool if we could do some some brand-swapping around the house from time-to-time. If I buy the MSX and absolutely abhor it, then I will ride it and swap it when KS releases the rumored 2060wh range 18L. If I love it, then there will be a Gotway in the fam.

I think @Shad0z was saying it's not special within the context of our community. Of course any one-wheeled transportation is special to the 'outside' world.

Otherwise, it's all subjective. If it's a special, unique wheel to you and our family. Great :cheers:  That's all that matters at the end of the day.

It's what we do, nitpick all the differences between the wheels. But they are all great and fun, and I'd be pretty happy if I was 'stuck' with only owning one (you pick the one).

The most important thing is to be outside enjoying the world on our amazing gliding machines.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think @Shad0z was saying it's not special within the context of our community. Of course any one-wheeled transportation is special to the 'outside' world.

Otherwise, it's all subjective. If it's a special, unique wheel to you and our family. Great :cheers:  That's all that matters at the end of the day.

It's what we do, nitpick all the differences between the wheels. But they are all great and fun, and I'd be pretty happy if I was 'stuck' with only owning one (you pick the one).

The most important thing is to be outside enjoying the world on our amazing gliding machines.

True indeed.

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

im not saying onewheels arent special. Its just on paper the ks18L isn't special compared to the rest of the wheels that also came before. Like the one z. That thing is a little special in comparison to the other wheels. That was the point i was trying to say. Not that  eucs aren't special or acting else. Just that the ks18L  doesn't being anything special or new to attract as much attention as the one z or the tesla when it came  out. The one z had its big tire and beautiful design. The  tesla was one of the first major wheels with a 2000watt motor. 

and the ks18l right now is mostly just and upgrade not saying its a bad one. Or its not a good wheel. Or that it doesnt have its own design im just saying that it doesnt stick out on the specsheet. Or looks. So thats why it doesnt get as much attention as the nb1z for example

2 hours ago, Shad0z said:

and the ks18l right now is mostly just and upgrade not saying its a bad one. Or its not a good wheel. Or that it doesnt have its own design im just saying that it doesnt stick out on the specsheet

Well if by your measure it takes a wheel of absurd girth to stick out I suppose the 18L doesn't stick out for you. By my measure the 18L is a work of art, a masterpiece in terms of design and performance. I feel the same way about the MSX, but only in terms of performance.

Just a point to consider, being special / different / first with something is anything but a guarantee that it will sell or work as intended. It might open up a target group but it might just as well put the wheel in a spot where others will pass it for another.

As I wrote earlier I am not looking for wheel that is world champion in one aspect but one that does many things great all together. 

As for the comment for the mudguard on picture I personally don't think it is as bad as people make it, to me it still looks as a simple function solved in a practical way. Being made by flexible rubber it is less prone to breakage or damage. it gives the user option to remove it easy due to 2 small mounting screws.

I for one do not own a 3D printed to made a mudguard myself. As for parts design it keeps things simple meaning shell covers still look to be interchangeable, so less risk for a cover part to be out of stock when you might need one. Eg. on my Inmotion V8 this is not the case. 

I am still looking forward to get my wheel delivered. 

@nte If I am lucky enough to get the wheel to connect again, I may try that. Right now, over about 30 lifts, it is working about 40% of the time. I'm experimenting with a new technique, and it worked this morning.

Instead of quickly lifting the wheel while moving, I bring it to a dead stop, make sure it is vertical, and then lift it. Will see if that helps.

I'm sure there is a fine line between having the thing shut off while being lifted, and shutting off while hitting a bump at high speed. Not sure what the cut-off mechanism is, but I sure hope this thing doesnt cut off when I hit a bump. In that respect, I am glad it is spinning out more often than cutting off.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, TomOnWheels said:

But is very efficient ! I was recently riding in the rain at around 25Km/h and this "mud flap" works perfectly !

Even if it is ugly as hell....at least there IS a -INCLUDED- mudflap…if you dont like it Change it to your own 3d printed one.

Oh wait, you can get a nice rubber one for the Msuper X now, too….just only 45 bucks and screwing it into the Shell ?

28 minutes ago, US69 said:

Even if it is ugly as hell....at least there IS a -INCLUDED- mudflap…if you dont like it Change it to your own 3d printed one.

Oh wait, you can get a nice rubber one for the Msuper X now, too….just only 45 bucks and screwing it into the Shell ?

Back in 2004 I purchased a brand new drop top Nissan 350Z. A truly exotic looking machine at the time. It was a nostalgic purchase, as I was a fan and owner of the previous twin turbo fair lady model that had been discontinued in 1996.

One day while performing the obsessive wax job that normally accompanies the novelty of a new sports car, my then neighbor decided to keep me company. He quietly began to examine the Zcar, going over every line, bobbing his head up and down to indicate his acknowledgment or approval.

Finally, he arrives at the front bumper. He stands upright and says to me; "you got a scratch on your front bumper that looks repainted. You sure this car doesn't have any frame damage." He then walks off with his mobile to ear apparently feeling satisfied that he had found some reason to not feel so small about the old, lumpy (but running) Honda Civic in his driveway.

Somehow, this conversation thread about a so-called ugly mudflap reminds me of "the neighborly car inspection" incident.

About the mudguard, I have yet to see it on my ordered wheel in real life. Clearly I am not bother by the look at all...yet.

It looks functional that is what matters to me. If I then turn the head to the Z10 wheel, it looks great imho on web and youtube. In real life I don't know...yet and for a long while I guess. It too comes with a mudguard like nice too, with easy user option to use it or not, all fine too. Hard plastics at least somewhat hard. My thoughts are it is prone to breaking on a wheel tumble, maybe. As for the optional trolley, yes I think I would need it. Looks fine, however do not look as a great functional solution.

So compared Z10 vs KS18L, the KS18L look to me as overall winner, will all agree, probably not, does it matter, not to me. As long I like MY wheel. So again not look for top or best in class on one point, but rather looking at the bigger picture above average of new model wheels, will cut it for me. Still tiptoe around as waiting for a big Christmas pressent.

Note a little language anadote: Wheel in Danish=hjul (the h is not pronounced), Christmas in Danish = jul (pronounced the same way)

So I  am looking forward to (h)Jul ? So @Henrik Olsen I hope I be as happy as you were in you youtube unboxing video. What do you thing @Shad0z ??

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

About the mudguard, I have yet to see it on my ordered wheel in real life. Clearly I am not bother by the look at all...yet.

It looks functional that is what matters to me. If I then turn the head to the Z10 wheel, it looks great imho on web and youtube. In real life I don't know...yet and for a long while I guess. It too comes with a mudguard like nice too, with easy user option to use it or not, all fine too. Hard plastics at least somewhat hard. My thoughts are it is prone to breaking on a wheel tumble, maybe. As for the optional trolley, yes I think I would need it. Looks fine, however do not look as a great functional solution.

So compared Z10 vs KS18L, the KS18L look to me as overall winner, will all agree, probably not, does it matter, not to me. As long I like MY wheel. So again not look for top or best in class on one point, but rather looking at the bigger picture above average of new model wheels, will cut it for me. Still tiptoe around as waiting for a big Christmas pressent.

Note a little language anadote: Wheel in Danish=hjul (the h is not pronounced), Christmas in Danish = jul (pronounced the same way)

So I  am looking forward to (h)Jul ? So @Henrik Olsen I hope I be as happy as you were in you youtube unboxing video. What do you thing @Shad0z ??

youre going to enjoy the ks18L if you get it. fantastic wheel! we should do a group ride. get your order in! :D 

59 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

youre going to enjoy the ks18L if you get it. fantastic wheel! we should do a group ride. get your order in! :D 

Yep I expect it within 1-3 weeks from now. It changed status from transit (from China to Poland) to custom clearance...and should take 3-4days in shipping and whatever time they need in Poland to process and package the shipment. I have vacation in week 30-32, I hope the wheel might come Friday week 29 or sometime in week 30. But who knows.

I kinda planed to drive down to Copenhagen in week 31 or 32 if I have my wheel.

4 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I kinda planed to drive down to Copenhagen in week 31 or 32 if I have my wheel.

Drive???

If you have your new 18L it should only be 3-4 charging stops... Just ride down!   :D

On 7/11/2018 at 9:00 AM, Marty Backe said:

This is what I'm talking about :D. Nice enthusiastic report ? We just need to encourage more people to write about the 18L.

On an unrelated note, that Luffy must feel like a big mistake after getting the Mten3 :lol:

Oh that Luffy...it was my first wheel. I bought it on eBay for $350. It was not a good learner, despite what Ian at SpeedyFeet said?. Had to buy an E+ to actually learn on. I really like the Luffy's form, small and light weight. Its built very well, but the motor is anemic and the battery too. My Luffy has no tilt-back and no beep; some kind of problem with the board. Nevin from Tec-Toys in Santa Clara looked at it to confirm when I purchased my Mten3 from him. The plastic holds up too abuse very well. I like its looks and build quality more than the Mten3. The Mten3 is unmatched in performance and agility; I can do a 180 spin to backwards at 10mph and I've gone stupid fast on it in traffic. I have yet to see the bottom of its 512mwh battery.

For me, the Mten3 has three negatives, I don't like its appearance, its to big and heavy for a 10" wheel and that damn fat-flat tire. The way that tire tracks annoys the hell out of me. On sidewalks it will grab seems in the concrete. On driveway slopes it rides the angle like an army tank and wants the wheels body (and mine) to all take the same angle withe the flat profile of the tire attempting to match the slope. Many of the streets in my neighborhood are curved for rain run-off, so if I ride on the shoulder I constantly have to fight wheel to stay upright. This fat-flat tire fight and the fact that the tire is tubeless makes for tough rides on my knees.

The Luffy's tire has a traditional profile which trumps the Mten3. I pre-ordered the Ninebot One Z in March from eWheels after seeing it on Youtube. The Z's appearance is amazing. But the more I rode my Mten3, the more I thought about how the Z's tire would handle. I scrutinized early Youtube clips trying to see how the riders legs responded to the wheel's body motion. I came to the conclusion that the fat-flat tire on the Mten3 was probably going to act the same on a larger wheel as well. I switched my pre-order to the 18L. The 18L's beautiful tire, is definitely where the magic is, its traditional round profile and robust thickness and tire tread respond exactly how my mind and body want.The Luffy is thinner than the Mten3, giving me the feeling of more dexterity. I took this into consideration as well when choosing the 18L over the Z.

Actually now that I'm writing this all down, it seem the Mten3 and Ninebot One Z have much similarities, seemingly to do with their stout construction. To be honest, I am obsessed with wheeling now, and if I could, I would purchase dozens of wheels on the market now. The Z's appearance is so incredible, it will be hard to resist!

24 minutes ago, Tom Skanks said:

Oh that Luffy...it was my first wheel. I bought it on eBay for $350. It was not a good learner, despite what Ian at SpeedyFeet said?. Had to buy an E+ to actually learn on. I really like the Luffy's form, small and light weight. Its built very well, but the motor is anemic and the battery too. My Luffy has no tilt-back and no beep; some kind of problem with the board. Nevin from Tec-Toys in Santa Clara looked at it to confirm when I purchased my Mten3 from him. The plastic holds up too abuse very well. I like its looks and build quality more than the Mten3. The Mten3 is unmatched in performance and agility; I can do a 180 spin to backwards at 10mph and I've gone stupid fast on it in traffic. I have yet to see the bottom of its 512mwh battery.

For me, the Mten3 has three negatives, I don't like its appearance, its to big and heavy for a 10" wheel and that damn fat-flat tire. The way that tire tracks annoys the hell out of me. On sidewalks it will grab seems in the concrete. On driveway slopes it rides the angle like an army tank and wants the wheels body (and mine) to all take the same angle withe the flat profile of the tire attempting to match the slope. Many of the streets in my neighborhood are curved for rain run-off, so if I ride on the shoulder I constantly have to fight wheel to stay upright. This fat-flat tire fight and the fact that the tire is tubeless makes for tough rides on my knees.

The Luffy's tire has a traditional profile which trumps the Mten3. I pre-ordered the Ninebot One Z in March from eWheels after seeing it on Youtube. The Z's appearance is amazing. But the more I rode my Mten3, the more I thought about how the Z's tire would handle. I scrutinized early Youtube clips trying to see how the riders legs responded to the wheel's body motion. I came to the conclusion that the fat-flat tire on the Mten3 was probably going to act the same on a larger wheel as well. I switched my pre-order to the 18L. The 18L's beautiful tire, is definitely where the magic is, its traditional round profile and robust thickness and tire tread respond exactly how my mind and body want.The Luffy is thinner than the Mten3, giving me the feeling of more dexterity. I took this into consideration as well when choosing the 18L over the Z.

Actually now that I'm writing this all down, it seem the Mten3 and Ninebot One Z have much similarities, seemingly to do with their stout construction. To be honest, I am obsessed with wheeling now, and if I could, I would purchase dozens of wheels on the market now. The Z's appearance is so incredible, it will be hard to resist!

Nice ?

Did you happen to see my video where I replaced the stock Mten3 tire with what you would call more traditional rounded tire? Very nice little upgrade. It's in my YouTube Mten3 Playlist.

My impression of the Z10 tire is it's not flat like the stock Mten3 tire. Much more rounded.

I'm getting the Z10 this Friday. I'll try and remember to comment on the tire handling vs the Mten3 - remind me if you're still interested.

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

but rather looking at the bigger picture above average of new model wheels, will cut it for me

Wheels need to do a lot of things for their buyers who use them for many purposes in many situations. so IMHO, the wheel that can do a lot of things extremely well is superior to the wheel that does one thing best; its a very special wheel indeed. The grey areas fuel discussion and help us synthesize the most favorable combination of wheel attributes with the factors that guide our choices at the time of purchase. 

Like any product, the wheel that provides most of what we desire will usually win over the wheel that gives us one thing; of course this depends upon how badly we want the one thing; its all relative. 

"All truths are only half truths." - African proverb

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Drive???

If you have your new 18L it should only be 3-4 charging stops... Just ride down!   :D

Fantastic invention called trunk in a car. ? A small drive with car then park and then EUC sightseeing. Works wounders

8 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Fantastic invention called trunk in a car. ? A small drive with car then park and then EUC sightseeing. Works wounders

Man, I drive a 1988 Toyota MR2.... im worried my MSX wont fit in the front or rear trunk ?

1 hour ago, dieterGRAMS said:

Man, I drive a 1988 Toyota MR2.... im worried my MSX wont fit in the front or rear trunk ?

Maybe you should look forward to Inmotion Hoower Shoes. Then you can maybe fit one in front and one in rear? Depending you don't have big feet or wear high heels?

On 7/11/2018 at 12:42 AM, Marty Backe said:

he KS18L is a bit :yawn:   A solid wheel by all accounts, but not exciting.

For those with a selection of different wheels at various ends of the spectrum, I can understand why the 18l doesn't whet the appetite. But for those needing to decide on a single, practical all-rounder with strong specs, from what I can see this could be the perfect wheel. 

The aesthetics are understated but IMO this is one of the most-refined looking wheels on the market, and I wasn't a fan of the look of the earlier KS wheels. Well-proportioned, minimalist, functional & lovely matt finish. That's what I've been looking for in a wheel for a while. I'm keeping fingers crossed that it lives up to what I'm hoping for :-)   

1 hour ago, LewisF said:

For those with a selection of different wheels at various ends of the spectrum, I can understand why the 18l doesn't whet the appetite. But for those needing to decide on a single, practical all-rounder with strong specs, from what I can see this could be the perfect wheel. 

The aesthetics are understated but IMO this is one of the most-refined looking wheels on the market, and I wasn't a fan of the look of the earlier KS wheels. Well-proportioned, minimalist, functional & lovely matt finish. That's what I've been looking for in a wheel for a while. I'm keeping fingers crossed that it lives up to what I'm hoping for :-)   

were not saying we dont like it. Or thats its not a wheel we want. Of course we want it. And a cool wheel. Were just explaining the question of this thread "why isnt many posts about people loving their ks18L?" And thats because on paper the wheel isnt anything special,

but it doesnt needs to be "special" to be awesome, thats different things. And the buyers got what they expected from the 18L. A powerfull 18' 2000W wheel from kingsong that has great performance. And thats great! :) 

Archived