I'm surprised I don't see many posts about people loving their KS18L

joku

11 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

but it doesnt needs to be "special" to be awesome, thats different things. And the buyers got what they expected from the 18L. A powerfull 18' 2000W wheel from kingsong that has great performance. And thats great! :) 

You're right! This may be the 'chicken korma' of the electric unicycle world - the safe choice & non-adventurous dish without much spice. But there's a reason korma is so popular & nothing beats one that's cooked up just right ? 

That mudflap is definitely a questionable poppadom though! 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, LewisF said:

You're right! This may be the 'chicken korma' of the electric unicycle world - the safe choice & non-adventurous dish without much spice. But there's a reason korma is so popular & nothing beats one that's cooked up just right ? 

AAHH.. very smart on the KS designers... let me give you a comparison to the construction business I was/am involved in... when my renovations are complete and under contract, the buyer has a home inspection done... These inspectors will NEVER go through and write a report saying "all is fine"... that comes off like they didn't do their job and shouldn't get their $400-$500 fee... they need to have something in their report, so If I have 2-3 obvious issues (minor) that they can address, than I do not get these nit-picky BS reports back (one guy said the slotted screw head in an exterior light fixture looked rusted and stripped :efef2e0fff:)...

For KS, it's the scrotal sack you all are whining about... very smart!!!.. Take the screws out, throw it in the garbage and go for a ride!! 

2 hours ago, LewisF said:

No way, it’s more a Madras. A little spicy, but it’s not going to send you running for the milk. But still super tasty and a solid, proper curry.

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice ?

Did you happen to see my video where I replaced the stock Mten3 tire with what you would call more traditional rounded tire? Very nice little upgrade. It's in my YouTube Mten3 Playlist.

My impression of the Z10 tire is it's not flat like the stock Mten3 tire. Much more rounded.

I'm getting the Z10 this Friday. I'll try and remember to comment on the tire handling vs the Mten3 - remind me if you're still interested.

Yeah, I saw your Mten3 tire change video. As usual, another great, detailed video! Although, you said the new wheel is not a total panacea. I think the handling issue for me is more to do with the ratio of width to diameter of tire. The lower the ratio the more the tire resists change of ride angle. My main gripe with natural turning and curved street riding is the amount of leg force and thought required to maintain control. As you said in that tire change video  "you have to stay focused". Duff did a tire change on Ninebot MiniPro, it was pretty interesting and similar to your video. I've been watching the eWheels' Ninebot One Z10 Youtube Tour across America. I think your insight will round out the consensus wonderfully!!!

On 7/11/2018 at 12:55 PM, eddiemoy said:

You should be have unlocked the wheel by now, did you not change the top speed to 50km/h (31mph)?  

I just had a wonderful time riding the 18L yesterday for about 27 minutes, average speed of 21mph.  The most fun I've had in a while.  

This is great for cruising, it is really stable at high speeds, going over bumps while not holding camera gear.  :P  Was slaloming yesterday at near the limit.  I've not unlocked my wheel yet.  I have another 100 km's to go.  

Yes the release of the firmware and the multiple reports of issue, one person in our NYC group burning his from a firmware update.  I've been nervous about it self destructing due to firmware issues.  I've not had any issues and still have yet to test the lower than 50% battery throttling.

I love this wheel for what it does, cruising at high speeds.  I like the V10F more for climbing hills, but the 18L does it respectably.  

When I first set up the wheel through the KS official App, I got an automatic response with an unlock code. In the alarm and tilt back settings I can set to 50kmh with no error. Unfortunately I can't test if the speed restriction is lifted, as I still have yet to unlock that "Max Speed" limiter in my head!? 

I live near Tesla's HQ in Palo Alto, CA. Here, many amateur cyclists (including myself) enjoy the long windy, hilly roads along the base of the Santa Cruz mountain range. I went on a sunset ride last night in search of a hill (paved or not) that could tame this wheel. This 18L handled every hill with ease, even famous Lance Armstrong type hills. Very scary for me, as this is my first strong wheel. The hills were so steep and I'm so short I could simply reach out and touch the ground infront of me, Ha! An incredible experience that I might trade-in for the lack of max speed.

P.S. Your YouTube videos are great, keep 'em rolling!

19 hours ago, Kael said:

No way, it’s more a Madras. A little spicy, but it’s not going to send you running for the milk. But still super tasty and a solid, proper curry.

Exactly! And also That little fucker of a mudflap is kind of like putting kechup in your madras. good madras. But a litte touch to ruin it

Ok, I must throw a bone to this thread. I thought I had my 40kph set but I had my alarm 3 at 32kph. So I kept hearing that nasty warning. This morning I finally set alarm 3 to 39 and tilt to 40. Soooooo much better. I actually hit it. And, getting very bad habits as I'm starting to ride around without armor. This ride is so smooth and soooooo fast. 

This battery life is crazy.

I'm around 200#, set tire to 40psi, and getting great mileage. 

Screenshot_20180714-124736_Kingsong.jpg

8 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Ok, I must throw a bone to this thread. I thought I had my 40kph set but I had my alarm 3 at 32kph. So I kept hearing that nasty warning. This morning I finally set alarm 3 to 39 and tilt to 40. Soooooo much better. I actually hit it. And, getting very bad habits as I'm starting to ride around without armor. This ride is so smooth and soooooo fast. 

how’s the app treating u? what are u running?

with kingsong and inmotion, i kinda feel like we should put what software and firmware we’re runnng in our sigs until they get it all sorted out or we die, whichever comes first.

1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

Have you done a distance test yet?

@novazeus I connected with KS app while moving, so it was good, have had issues connecting while setting my speed earlier this week. My GS7 has no problems with 16S, but with new KS app wondering if it works slightly differently. It does work, but feels different.

@fryman no, but everytime I think I'm going on a 1 or 2 mile ride it turns out to be 3 or 4 miles :).

1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

@novazeus I connected with KS app while moving, so it was good, have had issues connecting while setting my speed earlier this week. My GS7 has no problems with 16S, but with new KS app wondering if it works slightly differently. It does work, but feels different.

@fryman no, but everytime I think I'm going on a 1 or 2 mile ride it turns out to be 3 or 4 miles :).

Ok, that’s your next mission?

On 7/11/2018 at 12:33 PM, Juick said:

I would be excited about 18L... If I had one. Still waiting for delivery. :efee8c29ce:

What I'm looking for is best "All Purpose" new wheel. I want to take it to malls, commute to work daily, go for a 50km long rides on nice roads, go for some minor off road, take it with me to bus / train, trolley it comfortably while walking with friends, have one sided races with cyclists / scooter riders , easily maneuver around pedestrians on busy pavements... basically live on the wheel :eff034a94a:

V8 was wonderful for most of those scenarios, but range was too limiting and those e-scooters can be too fast to keep up with. Out of the new wheels, KS18L is best for my needs. It maybe doesn't have "wow factor" but it is practical choice and enough exciting for me.

The same case with me! Commuting every day, longer range than V5F... Just all around good wheel, take it to bus sometimes with me.... Just like you! I was looking for Tesla, than V10F and than I found 18L being the best choice for me... Waiting for delivery too...

To happy owners of KS18L, what tyre pressure would you recommend? I am 180lbs, and tried 46psi (3.2 bars), and this feels really to hard on bumpy roads.

Also for rear light, when night light is turned on, it seems rear light only turns on when braking, any idea how to have it on at all time?

11 minutes ago, em1barns said:

To happy owners of KS18L, what tyre pressure would you recommend? I am 180lbs, and tried 46psi (3.2 bars), and this feels really to hard on bumpy roads.

Also for rear light, when night light is turned on, it seems rear light only turns on when braking, any idea how to have it on at all time?

I can't speak specifically to the 18L, but I personally like to run my tires close to the max listed on the tire. KingSong seems to like the 65-psi rated tires. Just be aware that the lower you go the higher your risk of snake-bite flats and/or rim damage if you hit an unexpected obstacle. 

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I can't speak specifically to the 18L, but I personally like to run my tires close to the max listed on the tire. KingSong seems to like the 65-psi rated tires. Just be aware that the lower you go the higher your risk of snake-bite flats and/or rim damage if you hit an unexpected obstacle. 

So long for shock absoption and my back ?

5 minutes ago, em1barns said:

So long for shock absoption and my back ?

I'm always riding with bent legs, so I usually get a good leg workout. Saves the knees though.

1 hour ago, em1barns said:

I’ve been trying 30psi and working well for me.  I recently found out my tire pump had wrong psi reading.  Or was inaccurate.  When I pump to 35 it would be over 40.  I first tried 35 when I figured that out and was still too hard.  Now I’m at 30 it is good.  You may want to try 35.  

4 hours ago, em1barns said:

what tyre pressure would you recommend?

75 kg rider, riding with 2.5 bar. Inflating it higher makes the wheel jump like a ball over every bump.

5 hours ago, em1barns said:

I weigh in at 99kg and 40 psi on my KS 18 is the sweet spot for me.. 

Based on the different recommendations I've been seeing, I'd say 20% of your weight in lbs is a good starting psi. So 180lbs * .2 = 36psi. Tire pressure is way too much personal preference depending on weight, riding style, terrain, etc... for anyone to give you an exact number, but the 20% rule seems to fit what others are doing and then you adjust your psi from there depending on what you like

22 hours ago, em1barns said:

This is no more than a guess where the KS18 is concerned  but it is what happens on my, now quite, old KS-14C.

If you let the night sensor turn the lights on automatically when it is dark enough the back light is a back light + brake light.

If you physically turn the light on with the button, only the front light comes on and the back light is just a brake light.

I also had it go all wrong and it could only be turned on by the button I.e. the night sensor wouldn’t turn the light on. I had to disconnect the batteries for a minute or two to reset it. This I discovered by accident when I dismantled it to to see how to change the tyre.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:22 PM, Keith said:

This is no more than a guess where the KS18 is concerned  but it is what happens on my, now quite, old KS-14C.

If you let the night sensor turn the lights on automatically when it is dark enough the back light is a back light + brake light.

If you physically turn the light on with the button, only the front light comes on and the back light is just a brake light.

I also had it go all wrong and it could only be turned on by the button I.e. the night sensor wouldn’t turn the light on. I had to disconnect the batteries for a minute or two to reset it. This I discovered by accident when I dismantled it to to see how to change the tyre.

This is an odd glitch. Seems the forum attributed to me the statement that you quoted in your response. No big deal but it wasn't my statement. Though, I think that I might have shared my preferred tire psi when riding with the gentleman that originally made the statement.

I just tried out the KS18L at Griffith Park and found it to be a totally awesome machine! Floats and rides like a 16” wheel. Very mobile. The acceleration is fantastic, the pedals are nice and high.

That humorously nicknamed scrotal sac back mudflap looks more like Disney character Pluto’s ear, and those that dont like it, may just be envious. 

I was looking forward to the Ninebot Z10, being a Segway a1a first time owner, but I honestly found the ride to be too,... hmmm how do I put this without offending the fandom?... Bossy, yeah thats it. I dont need bossy when I want to relax or commute.

Somehow, the KS18L immediately charms you as if you have known eachother your whole lives. It is very very responsive for such a large wheel, and as a KS18s owner I can say this is a totally different machine! 

Archived