!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

1 hour ago, tim716 said:

That's quite surprising and a bit hilarious news. Do you know why Kingsong is doing it this way? "There is 1.07 old and 1.07 new. Well, yeah you have 1.07 old but I have 1.07 new. No, your 1.07 is not the right 1.07, the right 1.07 is mine. Etc. :) Did they run out of version numbers, or pay tax for each new number? Wouldn't it be much easier to just name the "new 1.07" 1.08 and release it? I'd be understandable if the "new 1.07" was just a questionable beta which they wanted to test just on the affected wheels. But since they release it to everybody getting 18L after August 1... that's quite strange :)

No, sorry that is not that strange...As I have explicitly told here in this thread, they changed the Firmware to this NEW Version and delivered it only to those that had the failure and to new users, because they didnt have EXACTLY found the failure a hundred percent!

They think the new version is better...but that first has to be proved that it doesnt make the lock syndrome anymore, especially on the wheels that allready had this lockup!

Thats why they do not have it delivered to those who have the wheel, and have not had any failures 

As soon as the new version is prooved as failure free its rolled out in v1.08!

And folks...it is still as it is 8-10 wheels worldwide with some parts of the world never experienced that fault!

France, Usa, Russia are the 3 countries which had over their resellers or me reported this numbers! 

Imho/perhaps also just a small batch can have had a hardware prob, that allready is ruled out!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, US69 said:

So your opinion is that the GW trolley handle, which are just about a quarter of the same material are better? :-)

What i also found astonishing....i am driving and riding since 3,5 years in several group rides and moderating about 3 FB groups, about 12000 km ridden, while you have your -first ever- Tesla first wheel now how long? 5-6 months?

And while in all the time i never even heard of a KS Trolley braking (without abusing it)...and the only thing i would go with is that sometimes the locking mechanism is a bit finicky....You want to tell me you have “SEEN WAY TO MANY” of them breaking????

Didnt you read my last post about „social media histeria“?

You know even when you would come out of the mekka of EUC riding, which is in my view Paris whith its massive group rides and lots of EUCS....even THAN i would not believe ONE word of ...quote „have seen WAY TO MANY of them braking”!!!

Thats exactly what i mean...everbody can come and tell whatever he likes to and the rumour is spread!

Thats exactly why some REAL, real experts like for example 1radwerkstatt, which had sold and repaired hundreds of wheels isnt that often commenting or reading hear anymore! He just cant stand this Nonsense anymore!

ok first of all, can you change your tone?

ok, well, in my group rides there are 2 people with ks18L whos handle is loosening and sometimes extends when being carried, plus 1 guy who has a ks16 who also has the same problem, im just typing what im experiencing.

and to be honest. i dont know which handle type i prefer. the gotway trolley quality isnt good, i totally agree on that a little flimsy, in that regard kingsong feels much better, much sturdier,

but the fact that the ks handle can fail, making carrying it an issue is just a no no for me. then i would rather have a seperate handle to carry, and a trolley that works, even though not as good.

if they just improved the handle, or made the carrying handle seperate from the trolley then it would be perfect, but i guess you can have centered trolley if carrying handle is seperate, 

thats why i think the way it is on the tesla is good, trolley on one side, but fairly in center. and carrying handle seperate. if just the trolley was better quality, then i think it would be the perfect combination, carrying isnt a stress on the trolley, but also a good trolley

Edited by Shad0z
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, US69 said:

And folks...it is still as it is 8-10 wheels worldwide with some parts of the world never experienced that fault!

France, Usa, Russia are the 3 countries which had over their resellers or me reported this numbers! 

Imho/perhaps also just a small batch can have had a hardware prob, that allready is ruled out!

you also need to factor in the lots of people who had this issue who didnt type about it

Luggage trolley handles aren’t really made to lift 40-50 lbs of weight.  They are usually used to pull luggage along on wheels. Maybe a quick locking latch of some sort that can be engaged/disengaged easily in the down position would help take some stress off the locking pin that is already present.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Luggage trolley handles aren’t really made to lift 40-50 lbs of weight.  They are usually used to pull luggage along on wheels. Maybe a quick locking latch of some sort that can be engaged/disengaged easily in the down position would help take some stress of off the locking pin that is already present.

exactly!

7 hours ago, joku said:

If it means anything, I've had my 18l since July 31, updated immediately to 1.07 and have now ridden it 200km. I love plugging my usb stick into the device and cruising with music day and night. This machine is incredible. I have the black rubber version and it's really good looking.

@Unventor have you tried rolling it up the stairs? That's what I've been doing whenever I encounter stairs and it's worked well 

Well our stairs are higher than the arc of the wheel. But I am thinking of parking in a storage room in our basement. But I can't change it there. So during my last 2 weeks of vacation charging might be an issue. When I take it to work it becomes a non-issue ?

There are no walls that can't be scaled or obstacles that can't be bypassed if you really want to ?

Note: Do you think Mr Trump got that memo? When he decided a wall was a great idea? (Sorry couldn't help myself) 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

ok, well, in my group rides there are 2 people with ks18L whos handle is loosening and sometimes extends when being carried, plus 1 guy who has a ks16 who also has the same problem, im just typing what im experiencing

FYI. Kingsong is aware of the problem with the soft lock mechanism on the handles; it is well reported. @Jason McNeil from EWheels recently posted that better reinforced replacement handles were available.

If you are not in the U.S., contact your dealer. If you are, contact EWheels. The 18L guys in your group have the handles with the failing soft lock mechanism; There is a fix readily available for them. So the two guys in your group can probably have those handles replaced under warranty. 

My experience with trolleys in general: the higher the extension, the more flimsy they feel. They are adequately designed for strolling/pulling things, but do not provide exceptional load bearing support. Changing this characteristic likely means a more dense material and a bulkier design. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lutalo said:

FYI. Kingsong is aware of the problem with the soft lock mechanism on the handles; it is well reported. @Jason McNeil from EWheels recently posted that better reinforced replacement handles were available. 

If you are not in the U.S., contact your dealer. If you are, contact EWheels. The 18L guys in your group have the handles with the failing soft lock mechanism; There is a fix readily available for them. So the two guys in your group can probably have those handles replaced under warranty. 

Exactly, it is allready changed on newer Batches....and those who ever will have a prob with their lock mechanism can claim that at their seller!

The rod will be changed to a rod with a more stable lock!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Luggage trolley handles aren’t really made to lift 40-50 lbs of weight.  They are usually used to pull luggage along on wheels. Maybe a quick locking latch of some sort that can be engaged/disengaged easily in the down position would help take some stress off the locking pin that is already present.

I am waiting for a new handle for my 18L from EWheels that is better reinforced with locking pins better able to handle the carrying stress.

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Shad0z said:

ok first of all, can you change your tone?

ok, well, in my group rides there are 2 people with ks18L whos handle is loosening and sometimes extends when being carried, plus 1 guy who has a ks16 who also has the same problem, im just typing what im experiencing.

Perhaps the tone was as it …. ....as NOW you report/experienced a finicky lock mechanism, while before you said: You have "SEEN WAY TO MANY of the trolleys BRAKING"?

I would say thats a bit of a difference of experience?

13 hours ago, Shad0z said:

you also need to factor in the lots of people who had this issue who didnt type about it

"The Lots"......Sure not everybody writes here , but when your NEW 1800$ Wheel locked up and made a serious issue and it even needs to be opened to not get a fried board, everyone  would report/claim that to his seller!  Which then has reported it to Kingsong China.....

Again: It are 8-10 worldwide cases together reported to KS over Reseller and/or other resources!

BTW:

Today FW 1.09 will be released, as on FW1.07"new", which was delivered to those with probs and new customers,  as until now no Reports of any new Wheel locks have come in! 

Edited by US69
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 12:52 AM, nte said:

Like you, I learned on a 14" wheel and have been riding my modified S1 for 8 months. On my S1 I can maintain 16-17mph(26-27kmh) on bad roads, dodge obstacles and make transitions onto side walks.

I got my 18L this week and the first thing I tried to do was accelerate fast like I can on my S1. This lead to bad wobbles at around 16-17mph. I was really trying hard to accelerate and this extra muscle tension was causing severe wobbles. I switched from Experienced mode to Learning mode and that made it a lot easier to accelerate with less wobbles.

This wheel is so much bigger and heavier then my S1, its going to take some time and practice to get used to. I did some laps around a school today for about 15 miles. While cruising, my "wobble zone" is around 22mph(35kmh). At this speed wobbles can happen unexpectedly for reasons I haven't learned yet. If there is a distraction or unplanned situation (like a car pulling  out in front of me) I could be in serious trouble. So for that reason I know I can't travel at the higher speeds yet while in public.

I was able to hit 40kmh on a smooth asphalt downhill without any wobbles and also a few times today while I was doing laps. This helped me to confirm that the cause of the wobbles is not the wheel, its me. @ricqvo just keep riding, you will be a pro in no time!

Wobbling at 90% is due to too much pressure in your tyre, have your tyre not too much pump up and you’ll get stability at higher speeds but consumption Wh/km will increase 

Edited by EricGhost
  • Like 1

V 1.09:

1. Added multi-RGB pattern, mode 1 is automotic mode
2. Self-checking the match of firmware version and series number, if not match, the wheel will loose balance
V1.08
1. Automatic sensor calibration
2. Avoid wheel freeze issue. 

Please dont ask me About what this LED-light Multi-RGB Change is exactly...something just gets lost in the translations :-)

Automatic sensor calibration, attention, the button in the app to calibrate your handle sensor is now useless and does not do anything! The sensor calibration is now  full automatic! 

Edited by US69
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nte said:

I have considered this but have not tried changing the pressure yet. It was pumped to around 35psi/2.4bar. I will continue to practice and try the tips that have been given to me. :)

2.4 bar is rather low pressure, don't go lower. Wobbling may especially occur with new tire, because of recessed center part of the tire. After about 400-500 km tire will wear enough so this recessed element will be level with the rest of the tire, giving much more contact and stability. Of course wobbling may be contributed to tired legs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Perhaps the tone was as it …. ....as NOW you report/experienced a finicky lock mechanism, while before you said: You have "SEEN WAY TO MANY of the trolleys BRAKING"?

I would say thats a bit of a difference of experience?

yeah i still have seen too many of them fail, they shouldnt fail. and when they do you cant carry it by the handle. 

i havent seen all of them fail, but i have seen quite a few. and thats too many

so its good if they can fix it :) 

but i just dont believe a little lock mechanism is enough, they should do something else to lock it in place, like hunka said. trolleys arent made to carry 40-50 lbs of weight, i think they need something more solid

Edited by Shad0z

15 minutes ago, nte said:

1.0.9 Change Log

The firmware model is KS-18L:
V1.09:
2. Self-checking the match of firmware version and series number, if not match, the wheel will loose balance

Maybe its just me, but what does this mean exactly?

Reluctant to upgrade from my currently fully functioning V1.07 original

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nte said:

1.0.9 Change Log

The firmware model is KS-18L:
V1.09:
1. Added multi-RGB pattern, mode 1 is automotic mode
V1.08
1. Automatic sensor calibration
2. Avoid wheel freeze issue. 
V1.07:
1. Optimized working mechanism of disengagement sensor , avoid losing balacing at low speed.
2. Solved wheel freezing issue when changing LED pattern
3. Adjust low voltage speed limitation
4. More accurate LED battery indicator

Yeah….here we see what can slip away in Copy/paste in my communication with KS… 

V1.09: 2. Self-checking the match of firmware version and series number, if not match, the wheel will loose balance

Thats btw: just a technical thing, meaning that protects from becoming a Firmware for the wrong Wheel!!! It Kind of checks if the Firmware and Wheel are compatibel!

1 minute ago, nte said:

'm interpreting this as "Compare the current version of the firmware against the serial number to verify that the correct firmware was flashed onto the board" 

Probably to prevent control board failure incase the firmware for the wrong model to get flashed to the control board.

Interpreted on Point!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2