!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

@US69 Can someone make a video on how to use the app? When I first got my KS18L I was very excited to use it and the app frustrated me because it wouldn't connect to the wheel. Eventually I found in one of the threads that I had to click on device > bluetooth icon > press on text "searching" to find > connect to KS18L. Then the other settings had to be figured out. It would be nice to have a quick detailed video on how to do connect and configure things via the app, instead of searching through the internet for each individual item. Even a wiki would work.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, scubadragosan said:

I hope the lift sensor is only a software/app issue, not a hardware issue.

Even IF it is the lift sensor(even that is not sure) if it would be a hardwareĀ problem...even than it could be soluted by software(my opinion).

You just have to be sure that this lift sensor will be only enabled in the RIGHT specific situation!Ā 

But folks...thats all speculation.....

Edited by US69

@US69, as a general feedback after 500km on ks18L (my first kingsong wheel, having owned ninebot, Inmotion and gotway before).

I am amazed Kingsong spends so much time and effort (and in essence money)Ā correcting decorative side lights and trolley sensor issues, instead of improving essential features: having a rock-solid trolley and weatherproof wheel (ip54 at least).

To me they lost the sense of priorities doing so. Better have a rock-solid trolley without lift sensor than current unstable trolley with a lift sensor that will never work reliably (seeing the technical solution chosen, it will never work 100%). Taking the wheel on pavement only on first level, trolley bounces in all directions and feels like itā€™s going to crack. It feels very fragile.

All these small unmastered features also raise the concern that at some stage the real-time microprocessor will bug while riding due to some fancy features (such as USB key music) not properly written.

So it would not require much to make it an excellent wheel, but ks priorities do puzzle me.

Edited by em1barns
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

newer Firmware whichļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ jļ»æust totally improved their KS18s.ļ»æ

In what way has it Improved? More torque? Handling? Does it feel Ā very similar to the 18L?

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

I neverļ»æ thought I would use the speakers. I used to think theyļ»æ were stupid. Lol, now I use them almost everyļ»æ long soloļ»æ ride I am on. It solves the idea of answering ļ»æangry bicyclisļ»ætsļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ questions when I pass them going uphill, ļ»æļ»æand pass ļ»æļ»æthemļ»æ I do on a regular basis. ļ»æ

I haven't yet used the speakers. I didn't use them at all on what is now my back up KS18, so, out of habit I haven't used the 18L speakers. I will definitely try them out.

2 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

Iļ»æ really do think that most people pay a premium so they can complain about something. This forum should have more succļ»æess stories instead of a complaint about a trolley handle someone thinks is fragile, even though it hasnt broken on them and is easy as pie to use. I never thought I would use the speakers. I used to think they were stupid. Lol, now I use them almost every long solo ride I am on. It solves the idea of answering angry bicyclists questions when I pass them going uphill, and pass them I do on a regular ļ»æbasis. Oh anļ»æd the trolley disengagement has not stopped me once in passing the bicyclists. So why complain about it?ļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ

Yip, thats exactly the way it is!

Social media is great....but sometimes it may ruin all of our experience or confluence us in the wrong direction!

When i may give an example: Again-the trolley lock issue has happend and its bad!!!

but - some of my seller contact, for example Germany or Thailand or some others....did NOT experience it at all and didnt have even OneĀ faulty wheeland i even haf to explain them what might be the problem!

What i mean is: when you read here....it sometimes comes over as as the 18L is a mismanaged wheel ...and only has faults!

Whenever i see video/you tubeĀ Ā experiences on the 18L at most the content is saying ā€žgreat wheelā€œ...while for a visitor of this forum it may look other way around! You/We ALL have to see some of the complains in context! And this does go for the other brands, too!

Edited by US69
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Edddeus said:

In what way has it Improved? More torque? Handling? Does it feel Ā very similar to the 18L?

So far and I have only gone on one test ride, it feels less like a vehicle and more like a wheel under my legs. I never had problems with torque, and have even less to worry about now. Much more responsive going uphill. I have mine tilted about 5Ā°-10Ā° forward, so hills have never been a problem for me going up. The new firmware even changed the high pitched whine a little. Sounds more vehicular like a Prius.Ā 

Handling has always been great for me on the ks18s. The only problems for me were that the torque could throw me up a tree branch if I was aiming at it and not careful. Sometimes I get the wobbles going down hill, but that is a rider error.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

So far and I have only gone on one test ride, it feels less like a vehicle and more like a wheel under my legs. I never had problems with torque, and have even less to worry about now. Much more responsive going uphill. I have mine tilted about 5Ā°-10Ā° forward, so hills have never been a problem for me going up. The new firmware even changed the high pitched whine a little. Sounds more vehicular like a Prius.Ā 

Handling has always been great for me on the ks18s. The only problems for me were that the torque could throw me up a tree branch if I was aiming at it and not careful. Sometimes I get the wobbles going down hill, but that is a rider error.

iā€™m a little snakebit about screwing with kingsongā€™s app and firmware but could u please tell me what platform u used to update ur firmware ie ios or android and what firmware u are on?

34 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

@EdddeusĀ I canĀ personally only go with @Stan Onymousi dont know which Fw upgarde it was....but KS definitely has worked on the motor driver!

It has more torque, is more smooth, and like he said even the sound got better! Thats one of the main KS features....the wheel firmware can be upgraded....and best is...it HAS been upgraded (and not forgotten!)

• Like 2

Okay... App says that that I have ridden 230km since monday, when I recieved the wheel... Only one week and 230km...

I had a lot of problems so far... But the biggest problem now is fast discharging... I am charging with only one charger for 10-12 hours... When I ride high speeds (like 40kmph), the battery % is falling like idk what... I rode 23km today, average speed 33kmph and battery % now from 100% at the beginning to 55%...Ā 

The wind was maybe a bit stong, but 100% asphalt road and bicycle road... No hills at all...

Today I opened the wheel and checked everything is ok inside... I didnt see anything bad, everything looked ok....

I dont know if that is alright... I am 76kg and 1.8m tall...Ā  I ride 30-40kmph...

1 minute ago, ricqvo said:

Okay... App says that that I have ridden 230km since monday, when I recieved the wheel... Only one week and 230km...

I had a lot of problems so far... But the biggest problem now is fast discharging... I am charging with only one charger for 10-12 hours... When I ride high speeds (like 40kmph), the battery % is falling like idk what... I rode 23km today, average speed 33kmph and battery % now from 100% at the beginning to 55%...Ā 

The wind was maybe a bit stong, but 100% asphalt road and bicycle road... No hills at all...

Today I opened the wheel and checked everything is ok inside... I didnt see anything bad, everything looked ok....

I dont know if that is alright... I am 76kg and 1.8m tall...Ā  I ride 30-40kmph...

Ā 

The average consumtion on ALL bigger wheels goes to a average consumption of 16-25WHĀ Ā for one km.

So the real range of a 18L i would say goes from 40-65km .......

If you really think that it would made 100km...that unfortunately goes only for a 60kg person going only 20kmh ...under laboratory settings, not breaking, not accelerationing, doing nothing....just cruising!

so if youĀ have done 23km ...while driving it at speeds from 30-40kmh...everything is normal, Sorry! And the battery goes from 100 down to Ā 55%....that sounds normal, Sorry! also depends a LOT if you breaked or accelerate a lot.....

Ā 

That btw goes for ALL Euc companies that are -unfortunately- telling muchĀ to optimistic things about their range!

Ā 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, US69 said:

Ā 

The average consumtion on ALL bigger wheels goes to a average consumption of 16-25WHĀ Ā for one km.

So the real range of a 18L i would say goes from 40-65km .......

If you really think that it would made 100km...that unfortunately goes only for a 60kg person going only 20kmh ...under laboratory settings, not breaking, not accelerationing, doing nothing....just cruising!

so if youĀ have done 23km ...while driving it at speeds from 30-40kmh...everything is normal, Sorry! And the battery goes from 100 down to Ā 55%....that sounds normal, Sorry! also depends a LOT if you breaked or accelerate a lot.....

Ā 

That btw goes for ALL Euc companies that are -unfortunately- telling muchĀ to optimistic things about their range!

Ā 

Thank you! I bought the wheel for commuting everyday to school... Today I rode exactly the way to school and back... So around 25km in total...Ā 

And I cant get the right pressure too... The wheel is still quick turning left and right at high speeds, wich is dangerous and feels deffinetly not nice... Ive tryed 3.2bar, 2 bar, 2.5 bar... Cant figure it out..

Btw on the first charge the second day I got this wheel I made 45km trip, high speeds, quite hilly asphalt road, started with 85%, came back with 25%... So that was a pretty nice performance... Avarage speed around 28kmph...

45 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

Your biggest enemy with regards to range will be wind resistance. If you are charging into the wind at 30-40kph, then you are probably losing around 50% power just fighting the wind. Bicyclists say that 70% of their power loss can come from wind resistance, so the same can be said of the Wheels, since we are awful in our aerodynamic design as humans. Turning sideways could help, but I use my hands outstretched in front of my bodyin a prayer shape or the ā€˜Ultra-manā€™ hand pose. This immediately effects the wheelā€™s power and speed.

try it out.

5 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Your biggest enemy with regards to range will be wind resistance. If you are charging into the wind at 30-40kph, then you are probably losing around 50% power just fighting the wind. Bicyclists say that 70% of their power loss can come from wind resistance, so the same can be said of the Wheels, since we are awful in our aerodynamic design as humans. Turning sideways could help, but I use my hands outstretched in front of my bodyin a prayer shape or the ā€˜Ultra-manā€™ hand pose. This immediately effects the wheelā€™s power and speed.

try it out.

Thank you! Can you please write more about those hands you are talking about? How to do that hand position?