!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

1 hour ago, ricqvo said:

But they dont send to Czech Republic and Germany :(

Wouldn't make much sense, the shipping from US to Europe would cost a lot, and you might have to pay import taxes too...

@Circuitmage @ygsoft @atph @TomOnWheels

@hal2000

Any more details youncan provide how this „lock“ happend?

Just trolleying along (trolley sensor on) and from one moment to the other the wheel „locked“? (and locked means „blocked the wheel“)

trying to summarize for KS how to best trying to reproduce the fault....

Thanx for your help

4 cases are now known (to KS) ...one in the US, one in Russia, 2 in France

please bare with me if i oversaw or forgot one here....

Edited by US69
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, US69 said:

According to my information to the owners of which you indicated you need to add more Asu6nik and hal2000. Then the number of cases 6.
My mono-wheel had firmware 1.07. The pressure sensor was calibrated for the smallest force.
The following events preceded the blocking of my monocycle:
17:00 (Moscow time). Movement on a monocycle with a speed of ~ 25 km / h. Distance ~ 3 km. The air temperature is ~ 32 degrees Celsius. Sunset in the supermarket. Rolling by the handle. After ~ 20 meters the wheel suddenly turned off as if someone had pressed the shutdown button. I turned it on again it worked. After another 20 meters of rolling, the wheel began to lose its horizon and slowly fell into the opposite direction to the movement (back). I turned off the wheel then turned it on and it worked again. After another 3 meters of rolling, the wheel was blocked. There was no possibility of rotation, the LEDs glowed continuously blue (I do not remember exactly), did not react to the shutdown button.
After ~ 20 minutes brought the wheel home and dismantled.
The metal motor housing and the plastic top cover were very hot. The battery was of usual temperature. I disconnected 2 cables from the batteries and one from the motor. After 5 minutes, the cables were connected and the wheel started working normally.
Now I disconnected the wires of the pressure sensors and forbade their use in the ANDROID application. But I'm afraid to use the wheel intensively.
I would very much like to receive information from the manufacturer at least to make sure that the problem is related to the pressure sensor. Then we could have less fears while driving after the pressure sensor is disconnected.

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Just trolleying along (trolley sensor on) and from one moment to the other the wheel „locked“? (and locked means „blocked the wheel“)

Thanx for your help

My case is quite detailed in post I've made KS18L OoO - Please KingSong Read This TopiC

Also to add some info, since I've changed the motherboard there is no issue anymore... I think I've made for the last 2 weeks at last 10 times the same situation and all good, no more issue... When I've changed the motherboard, I've also took time to fix the issue with trolley that is to weak to hold KS18L weight (there is another posts for that issue). And of course while fixing the trolley I've also setup correctly both sensors (the screw + app calibration). So now it work correctly, so maybe it gives less stress (on/off from sensors) to the firmware... This the only think that changed for me. I'm still in 1.0.7.

• Like 1

Anyone had issues with firmware resetting to 1.03 and asking for another upgrade to 1.07?  

Running iOS 3.04. 

The last time I upgraded with iOS (as opposed to Android) the unit was unrideable. 

5 hours ago, ntz said:

Anyone had issues with firmware resetting to 1.03 and asking for another upgrade to 1.07?  

Running iOS 3.04. 

The last time I upgraded with iOS (as opposed to Android) the unit was unrideable. 

I upgraded with iOs app 3.4 from firmware 1.03 to 1.07, no problem.

11 hours ago, US69 said:

@hal2000

Thanx for your help

Firmware 1.07, battery around 40%, drive of 3 min at 45 kph max speed, outside temperature was 31 C.

Trolley mode for 10 min in a supermarket with AC then the wheel blocked suddenly and started overheating.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, atph said:

Firmware 1.07, battery around 40%, drive of 3 min at 45 kph max speed, outside temperature was 31 C.

Trolley mode for 10 min in a supermarket with AC then the wheel blocked suddenly and started overheating.

Do you have the lift sensor on the handle enabled or disabled?

11 minutes ago, em1barns said:

This is spreading like a disease, a friend of mine had the same issue of wheel locking up and heating in Belgium: https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/5731-ks18l-blocage-roue-puis-surchauffe/?do=findComment&comment=124545 .

FYI, @US69

@Shad0z also said in the Discord-chat a couple of days ago that several of his friends had the issue

Shad0z: @esaj  i think there is a lot of incidents I'm hearing daily on Facebook about new people having the same issue. And more of my freinds also experiencing it :frowning2:
Shad0z: Its a lot more than 5 for sure i can tell you

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Disable it.  Seems to be the cause of the lockup’s.  

All my freinds ordered together. 3 in total, 2 of them had the issue. But all 3 of them had turned off the lift sensor feature because they dont trust it. so if its a lift sensor issue how can it happen when they all turned it off? o_O

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

All my freinds ordered together. 3 in total, 2 of them had the issue. But all 3 of them had turned off the lift sensor feature because they dont trust it. so if its a lift sensor issue how can it happen when they all turned it off? o_O

Did they know what to do? And if yes, did it happen again? What mileage do they have on their wheels?

• Like 1

With all these issues, this is just another reason that euc manufacturers should really consider a keyed battery cut off switch on theses eucs.  First the shipping issue where they were accidentally being turned on, then the trolley walk lockup issue.  My KS18L should arrive next month and I am worried that I will have the lock up issue while out and about.  I don't want to have to carry a screw driver around and dissecting  my KS18L frantically in front of an audience of people wondering wth I am doing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, squirt said:

With all these issues, this is just another reason that euc manufacturers should really consider a keyed battery cut off switch on theses eucs.  First the shipping issue where they were accidentally being turned on, then the trolley walk lockup issue.  My KS18L should arrive next month and I am worried that I will have the lock up issue while out and about.  I don't want to have to carry a screw driver around and dissecting  my KS18L frantically in front of an audience of people wondering wth I am doing.

Not a bad idea, but any sort of switch capable of handling the high currents the batteries must deliver (tens of amps, spikes might be >100A) would have to be huge, and it could potentially add another point of failure in the circuit, if the switch failed, the wheel would immediately lose power.

EDIT: Although, thinking more, rather than a mechanic switch in the current path, a switch could be used to tell the BMS to cut off the discharge side, the mosfets there should be able to handle that, as they're already used to deliver power and cut off current in case of short circuit or such.

Edited by esaj
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, em1barns said:

What surprised me (may be unrelated, maybe not), is that when taking my wheel on trolley, and not moving, CPU shows 80+ % utilization (in app > More > Details).

Any idea what happens when it reaches 100%?

Same here and that's not conforting.