!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

4 minutes ago, novazeus said:

it wouldn’t let me do it at 200, i actually had to do a couple more laps to get to 201.

is that using apple or android?

Oh, good to know, I’m on IOS.  You must ride less than me since you are looking at 1km at a time.  Lol.  

Mom not there yet on the 18L and I’m way past it on my 18S so I wouldn’t know if it was on 200 on the dot or 201km.  I was on the old firmware requiring 1000km on the 18S and was way past 400 when I updated to new firmware requiring only 200km.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

Oh, good to know, I’m on IOS.  You must ride less than me since you are looking at 1km at a time.  Lol.  

Mom not there yet on the 18L and I’m way past it on my 18S so I wouldn’t know if it was on 200 on the dot or 201km.  I was on the old firmware requiring 1000km on the 18S and was way past 400 when I updated to new firmware requiring only 200km.  

ya, lotsa little short trips up and down my road as much as Bob will let me.

that’s why i was wondering about the 40 kph lockdown, because i had to drag the wheel and my ipad near my router to log in before it would let me unlock it. 

that makes sense if ur trying to make sure the rider is capable but if it was tied to user registration as it should be if doing it to verify rider capability, then subsequent similar wheels sb unlocked by ur registration. just saying. if ur doing a burn in on the wheel, which makes sense to me, then, nevermind.

5 hours ago, novazeus said:

thought i had to connect to the internet when i broke thru 201km, because i used my ipad and had to get close to my wifi to do it.  that’s why i thought it was tied to the rider. in other words, it asked me to sign in before letting me adjust the sliders.

You are correct with that....fo using the sliders you have to signed in.

But the reason is, that for the general unocking (from 20 to 40) you have signed a license, that this speed is in your own responsibility.

Thats why changing speeds in general only works while signed in . KS is kind of checking if the person agreed to the License.

So if you sell your wheel....a new registered person just would have to sign the general License, too(the one for going over 20kmh)...but if the wheel would be over 200km....he would directly have the 50kmh...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, em1barns said:

Any idea when this was changed? My wheel has a manufacture date of 7/7.

No directl date...but new wheels will get this rod.

Also -to my understanding- all wheels with “locking” problems because of this, will get new rods under warranty.

Surely only IF there is a real problem. As this does not happen on all wheels. Its a combination of hole to big, spring to weak, pin to “round”....

3 minutes ago, US69 said:

No directl date...but new wheels will get this rod.

Also -to my understanding- all wheels with “locking” problems because of this, will get new rods under warranty. 

Surely only IF there is a real problem. As this does not happen on all wheels. Its a combination of hole to big, spring to weak, pin to “round”....

Well, for the first KS18L I received from a local shop, one of the rod would not stay in position as I lifted it to put it in the back of my car. Luckily there was another one in store with a working rod, needless to sat first impression was not too great...

Yeah, I had about 100km on my 18L with FW 1.07, and ...it just locked up after trollying.

It is ON, with 4 LEDs at the top, front and back light are on, wheel is locked up. Can someone tell me how to shut this thing off?

:(

More info: I had just gone up a short flight of stairs, carrying it, but the switch DID NOT activate. It seems like that cut off switch had a delayed reaction and is now confused.

HELP!

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Yeah, I had about 100km on my 18L with FW 1.07, and ...it just locked up after trollying.

It is ON, with 4 LEDs at the top, front and back light are on, wheel is locked up. Can someone tell me how to shut this thing off?

:(

Wow!  Are you serious???  If it happened, then you don’t have much time. You need to take it apart right now and disconnect the battery.  Or else it will burn itself up. Feel if the top is getting hot.  

Do you use your LED’s on the side?

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Thanks! @eddiemoy. I unplugged the yellow thingy on one side, and the two yellow thingies on the other side. Lights turned off. Is that it?

Yes. How hot was it?  Were you able to save your 18L?

Did you reconnect the battery?  Is everything back to normal?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

I dunno. It was warming up for prob 15-20 mins. I just got to work and have a busy day, cannot spend any more time on this until tonight.  Thanks again.

This is really scary, I am keeping the disengagement function deactivated for now...

• Upvote 2

On 7/14/2018 at 7:26 PM, eddiemoy said:

Here is the communication that was shared.  38B98922-6AF8-498F-A5EA-0F3A5E13C939.jpeg.87f83e7f9426e182c50bf03abfde9c08.jpeg

@eddiemoy any additional info about that ? Is it official  ? Is it something directly coming from KS ? I'm just trying to identify if I should expect this mod on my wheel or if this is something only for new batches of KS... Thanks.

11 hours ago, US69 said:

You are correct with that....fo using the sliders you have to signed in.

But the reason is, that for the general unocking (from 20 to 40) you have signed a license, that this speed is in your own responsibility.

Thats why changing speeds in general only works while signed in . KS is kind of checking if the person agreed to the License.

So if you sell your wheel....a new registered person just would have to sign the general License, too(the one for going over 20kmh)...but if the wheel would be over 200km....he would directly have the 50kmh...

that makes sense from a liability standpoint. kingsong and its dealer network are the first seller, what ever liability the second reseller of a used wheel that’s unlocked is on that second seller.

that’s the most logical answer.

i still say they should give creds for owners of their previous wheels, imho. 

suppose somebdy is using an 18s or L for high speed commuting and something happens to his wheel and he’s a many thousands of miles veteran of wheel riding, if something happens to his wheel, he has to deal with 40 kph for 201km. of course if he’s doing a daily commute he’ll knock it out in a week and eddie’s theory of a burn in isn’t a bad idea either.

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, eddiemoy said:

Here is the communication that was shared.  38B98922-6AF8-498F-A5EA-0F3A5E13C939.jpeg.87f83e7f9426e182c50bf03abfde9c08.jpeg

Hi Eddiemoy! where can i find the document you shared? can you give me a link please?

• esaj changed the title to !!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying
  • Chriull unpinned this topic