!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

2 minutes ago, Kael said:

With 1.07 still being problematic, has anyone spoken to KingSong to see if an update is in the works?

No idea, but @US69 probably has more or less direct line to them, so he might know... I'd expect them to be at least aware of the issue at this point.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, esaj said:

No idea, but @US69 probably has more or less direct line to them, so he might know... I'd expect them to be at least aware of the issue at this point.

As said before...they get the board of Tom to anylyze it...but up to today this  failure (2-3worldwide or more?) could not have been found or even be replicated! KS is working hard on this! As soon i know more it will show up here immediately!—

Edited by US69
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Seba said:

And it's a hint I wanted to share with you - to have a screwdriver with you all the time you ride KS18L

Here is a video of KS-18L disassembly and battery disconnection. I am linking to the second part, because the viewing angle is more favorable, but please remember that it needs to be done FROM BOTH SIDES of the wheel (as there is a battery with its own connector behind each side cover).

• Upvote 3

A bit lame that you have to pull the pads off to get to the screws. Not very user friendly. In other news, I'm totally weirded out by YouTube autotranslating video descriptions and comments right in front of my eyes.

Edited by Kael
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kael said:

A bit lame that you have to pull the pads off to get to the screws. Not very user friendly. In other news, I'm totally weirded out by YouTube autotranslating video descriptions and comments right in front of my eyes.

Fortunately you don't have to remove pads completely. It's enough just to uncover the bottom corners of lower pad and top of the upper pad. Also if you disconnect motor connector first it should be enough to break the high current path, so you can disconnect batteries with less hurry. I'll try to prepare checklist for emergency battery disconnection and put it here (tools required, operation order etc.).

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, esaj said:

This is the fifth case in total and third with firmware 1.07 by my calculations. Correct?

Yes, according to my information this is so.
It is interesting that the problem arises under exactly the same circumstances. In my opinion, there is no reason to relate this to overheating because on the eve I ~ 30 minutes intensively tested mono-wheel on slides with a slope of ~ 25 degrees with a length of ~ 15-20 meters, at an air temperature of 36-38 degrees. everything was fine. My weight is 110 kg.

Edited by ygsoft

9 hours ago, Kael said:

With 1.07 still being problematic, has anyone spoken to KingSong to see if an update is in the works?

They are still waiting to get my main board that on which 1.0.7 crashed... They are suppose to make investigations on it. It's somewhere in DHL clouds. Also from what I hear they was trying to reproduce the issue with no success  (this info is 2 weeks old).

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, US69 said:

As said before...they get the board of Tom to anylyze it...but up to today this  failure (2-3worldwide) could not have been found or even be replicated! KS is working hard on this! As soon i know more it will show up here immediately!—

Yes... Board is on the way. It seems to be very tricky to reproduce... There is no software/firmware without bugs... There is also some...

1 hour ago, atph said:

Hello,

That just happened to me yesterday with 1.07. While in trolley mode (sensor activated), the wheel locked suddenly and started overheating. I didn't know what to do so i put it outside in a safe place. Luckily the battery level was low so the wheel powered down by itself and the motherboard didn't have enough time to burn...

Wheels works perfectly today but just wondering if some permanent damage were done.

Will contact the re seller to make sure.

Turn off the sensor!

15 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

Turn off the sensor!

According to my information, the fact that the problem is related to the pressure sensor is just a guess. The manufacturer has not confirmed this yet.
Or I'm wrong?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ygsoft said:

According to my information, the fact that the problem is related to the pressure sensor is just a guess. The manufacturer has not confirmed this yet.
Or I'm wrong?

You are absolutely right. While it seems to be a point in common for all users experiencing the issue, only KS can confirm it. So let’s call it a guess safety measure.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Seba said:

Fortunately you don't have to remove pads completely. It's enough just to uncover the bottom corners of lower pad and top of the upper pad. Also if you disconnect motor connector first it should be enough to break the high current path, so you can disconnect batteries with less hurry. I'll try to prepare checklist for emergency battery disconnection and put it here (tools required, operation order etc.).

And this is a brilliant idea! It allows to reduce the "stress" time on the EUC by half. Only, do you have an idea how to understand which side of the wheel has the motor connector and which side to open first?

Edited by tim716

That is a great question. I was in a rush to take mine apart, and put back together, so I ended up taking apart both sides. One side has one connector (big yellow plug), that DID NOT shut everything off. The other side has two.

I don't know if you only need to open one side or both, and if it is one side...which side is it?

Also, with everyone disabling the lift sensor, we will see if it happens again with that disabled in app.

6 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

That is a great question. I was in a rush to take mine apart, and put back together, so I ended up taking apart both sides. One side has one connector (big yellow plug), that DID NOT shut everything off. The other side has two.

I don't know if you only need to open one side or both, and if it is one side...which side is it?

Also, with everyone disabling the lift sensor, we will see if it happens again with that disabled in app.

Yep, everything's correct. There are three big yellow plugs inside, two battery connectors, one on each side, and one motor power connector, on one side obviously. The other side has the motor signal wires. The batteries are connected to the controller independently, that's why to cut off power completely you have to disconnect BOTH battery connectors on both sides.

But disconnecting the motor power, just on one side, theoretically should remove the stress from the EUC. Though you'll still have to open the other side to disconnect the second battery and restart the controller. But the time race will stop after disconnecting the motor.

Well, as a wild guess, there are production marks and a nippel on the motor wheel. Maybe the power wires side correlates with them?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i’m glad i ordered this wheel from @Jason McNeil. this will be my first purchase. obviously hoping it will be a good experience like others have attested to.

also hoping, and i’m ok with waiting, that this issue will be fixed before the wheel is shipped to me. i’ve been lucky so far about having to wrench on my wheels, software wrenching excluded. 

6 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i’m glad i ordered this wheel from @Jason McNeil. this will be my first purchase. obviously hoping it will be a good experience like others have attested to.

also hoping, and i’m ok with waiting, that this issue will be fixed before the wheel is shipped to me. i’ve been lucky so far about having to wrench on my wheels, software wrenching excluded. 

Price?