!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

1 hour ago, phatmike said:

It looks more like a first batch/second batch issue. At this point I think is more a hardware problem and not a firmware one. 

Don't you think that if it's a hardware problem, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery  will not change anything and will not make the wheel works again ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

We've just had a Customer report a board failure after a v1.09 update. Case is muddied in that his Wheel did not have functioning LEDs or sound to begin with, might be an isolated one-off.  

uc?export=view&id=1HfIpLmEtIGYh9vel1EcA8

1.0.9 ? does it exists or is a typo ? Is it actually a real picture ?

On 7/10/2018 at 4:59 PM, TomOnWheels said:

I said "once again" it just to say that I already told many times (even in my initial post) that when the issue happed I was in 1.0.7. So I had this issue only once, and yes it was fixed by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. The trolley sensor was on and calibrated. 

Just to know you were in 1.0.7 but with or without calibration procedure done by you ?

anyhow I switched off the sensor and so far 360km no issue

Edited by EricGhost
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, EricGhost said:

Just to know you were in 1.0.7 but with or without calibration procedure done by you ?

anyhow I switched off the sensor and so far 360km no issue

I've calibrate it in 1.0.6 and recalibrate after upgrade to 1.0.7. I think it's probably safe to wait for a week or two without the sensor... It's not a big deal... I guess KS will come back with firmware upgrade or something else, soon...

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, eddiemoy said:

That was one of the folks in our NYC group.  He said he got the prompt to update to v1.09 and when he clicked to see what it was, it updated and once it was completed, the wheel spun, he heard some pop noise and wheel was dead.  I told him to swap the fuses to see, but he was reluctant understandably.  Jason is sending him a new board.  

If you look at the picture, there is lots of soot around the fuses.

I tried to get the v1.09 to see what the update was about, but was unable to contact the update server.

As there is no Version 1.09 existing for the 18L(V1.07 is the latest) my guess is this board was set up with the wrong Firmware in the factory...i would guess with a 16S or 14S or what not Firmware.

As Firmware and Wheel doesnt not go together at all this leeds to a board fry…...

Sound like the reported one on Facebook which doesnt have LED Lights and stomped from the Speakers like crazy.

Not nice.....but fortunatly as from a seller like @Jason McNeil the customer will soon be make happy again!!!

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, eddiemoy said:

I tried to get the v1.09 to see what the update was about, but was unable to contact the update server.

As said...Forget that...not even a 1.08 existing for the 18L...…..(there is an 1.08, but thats only for the 18S)

All different KS wheels have different FW Iteration numerns now now….

Edited by US69
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, US69 said:

As there is no Version 1.09 existing for the 18L(V1.07 is the latest) my guess is this board was set up with the wrong Firmware in the factory...i would guess with a 16S or 14S or what not Firmware.

As Firmware and Wheel doesnt not go together at all this leeds to a board fry…...

Sound like the reported one on Facebook which doesnt have LED Lights and stomped from the Speakers like crazy.

Not nice.....but fortunatly as from a seller like @Jason McNeil the customer will soon be make happy again!!!

As said...Forget that...not even a 1.08 existing for the 18L...…..(there is an 1.08, but thats only for the 18S)

All different KS wheels have different FW Iteration numerns now now….

Strange thing is when I connected to the wheel two days ago, I got a prompt that I needed to update the firmware.  I remember what happen to our friend who updated and it self destructed to I clicked out of it.  Then I went to try to check the the latest firmware and it showed only v1.07 which is what I already have.  

I have a gut feeling that if I had updated I would have gotten the same self destruction that happened to our friend.  

I wonder if they have been hacked!  Why I got the prompt to upgrade but there is no valid firmware   Why updating burned out the other board.  He was already on v1.07 also, but got the same prompt.

• Like 2

Unpasteurized from our friend who fried his board with the update to a mysterious firmware is he got the board from Jason and replaced it as well as the weak trolley with an updated stronger design.  All is good and he went on a group night ride.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Strange thing is when I connected to the wheel two days ago, I got a prompt that I needed to update the firmware.  I remember what happen to our friend who updated and it self destructed to I clicked out of it.  Then I went to try to check the the latest firmware and it showed only v1.07 which is what I already have.  

I have a gut feeling that if I had updated I would have gotten the same self destruction that happened to our friend.  

I wonder if they have been hacked!  Why I got the prompt to upgrade but there is no valid firmware   Why updating burned out the other board.  He was already on v1.07 also, but got the same prompt.

Yip, there seams to be a small glitch when “detecting”new firmware versions!

Today i received a “need update” message on my 18S v1.08(actual) and igored it....later on the wheel sId i have the latest firmware!

My GUESS is that might especially happen with a lots of other Ks wheels around.....si mz advise would always be to make an update only in a secured setting...like at home with stable internet or so.

As said....1.09 not existing for 18inch wheels...afaik only the 14d/s have that.....

• Like 1

Just now, novazeus said:

kingsong has changed the trolley thing?

They made the rods more stable, so that the plugs that secure the trolley in its position does not glitch out accidentally!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, US69 said:

Yip, there seams to be a small glitch when “detecting”new firmware versions!

Today i received a “need update” message on my 18S v1.08(actual) and igored it....later on the wheel sId i have the latest firmware!

My GUESS is that might especially happen with a lots of other Ks wheels around.....si mz advise would always be to make an update only in a secured setting...like at home with stable internet or so.

As said....1.09 not existing for 18inch wheels...afaik only the 14d/s have that.....

Yes, I just got a 14D for my son and it had a v1.09 update from the v1.06 that came with it. 

• Like 2

it’s not imperative but how is the lift and cutoff working? i really like that feature on the V10F and the s1’s and s2’s but if the 18L lift to cutoff is sketchy, i’ll turn it off if possible. i’ve picked up the v10f before waiting to hear it’s disconnect beep, it’s possible to depress it’s button not completely and still be running so i’ve learned to wait for the beep.

• Upvote 1

Just now, novazeus said:

it’s not imperative but how is the lift and cutoff working? i really like that feature on the V10F and the s1’s and s2’s but if the 18L lift to cutoff is sketchy, i’ll turn it off if possible. i’ve picked up the v10f before waiting to hear it’s disconnect beep, it’s possible to depress it’s button not completely and still be running so i’ve learned to wait for the beep.

I don’t really like the cut off feature and I don’t trust it. So I don’t use it at all.  I turned it off.  So I cannot comment on that feature.  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 1:34 PM, eddiemoy said:

I don’t really like the cut off feature and I don’t trust it. So I don’t use it at all.  I turned it off.  So I cannot comment on that feature.  

just watched ur park ride. so envious of that trail and ur 18L. looks great. i need that pavement encirling my ranch. just came in from a jeep ride around and my guts are still vibrating.

u make me excited again about my matte black 18L that’s otw. from the tear down, it looks like it has to be superbly balanced. 

@Stan Onymous said something like the 18L handled like the V10F and that was notable because of the increased size of the 18” wheel. from outside looking in, and the differnt position of the battery packs, that would be my guess. 

i’m glad ur loving it.

oh yeah, in a couple of weeks i might need a tutorial on how to hold my mouth while connecting with the app to the wheel.a little gunshy.

Edited by novazeus

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

just watched ur park ride. so envious of that trail and ur 18L. looks great. i need that pavement encirling my ranch. just came in from a jeep ride around and my guts are still vibrating.

u make me excited again about my matte black 18L that’s otw. from the tear down, it looks like it has to be superbly balanced. 

@Stan Onymous said something like the 18L handled like the V10F and that was notable because of the increased size of the 18” wheel. from outside looking in, and the differnt position of the battery packs, that would be my guess. 

i’m glad ur loving it.

LOL, yeh, that trail is awesome, will film it again when autumn comes to catch the change in foliage.  Think that would be amazing!  But need to be extra careful during the fall because I've done 4 wheel drifting on wet leaves in my younger days.  Don't want to drift on one wheel, meaning fall...

I would say the 18L is more stable than the V10F at speeds.  It is definitely better handling than the 18S.  I love the shorter shell and the balance created by the two batteries straddling the two sides.  You can definitely feel the balance in that it is more nimble than it should be.  But physics being what it is, it is still an 18" wheel, so it isn't as nimble as the V10F.  But close.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

LOL, yeh, that trail is awesome, will film it again when autumn comes to catch the change in foliage.  Think that would be amazing!  But need to be extra careful during the fall because I've done 4 wheel drifting on wet leaves in my younger days.  Don't want to drift on one wheel, meaning fall...

I would say the 18L is more stable than the V10F at speeds.  It is definitely better handling than the 18S.  I love the shorter shell and the balance created by the two batteries straddling the two sides.  You can definitely feel the balance in that it is more nimble than it should be.  But physics being what it is, it is still an 18" wheel, so it isn't as nimble as the V10F.  But close.

are the software/firmware bugs gone?

btw, i’d bet money the 201km to unlock my 18s was at least that. 

the reason u give for going 201km is definitely better than the reason kingsong gave and since they make u register and  sign in, i didn’t know if the 201km mark was tied to the rider or the wheel. 

Edited by novazeus

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

the reason u give for going 201km is definitely better than the reason kingsong gave and since they make u register and  sign in, i didn’t know if the 201km mark was tied to the rider or the wheel. 

The 200km mark is related to the wheel ...not to the registered rider.

As soon as you are over that mark you can adjust the sliders to 50kmh....theres no real unlock needed.

This weekend i was on a tour with a 18L rider, me on the 18S....no firmware bugs at all anymore. This rider trusted the cut off feature and we tested it several times and it worked absolutely flawless, doing exactly what it should do.

Everyone can think of that 200km “set free” whatever he wants....in the end KS just does this to get the rider used to the wheel before he can ride the full potential 50kmh. Nonetheless my opinion is that even 40kmh is more than enough and its no problem to wait 3 charges for a set free....

My 18S with 2700km was set free, 50kmh, his 18L still got the 40kmh “Lock”.....but not one time on our 40-45km tour we hear his wheel beepiing/“please decelerate”.....and we were the only the two of us and riding as fast as we want to....

What i mean is that in real life you even barely scratch 40kmh.....and we were really fast riding on this trip....still not enough to make his wheel “to slow”.....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, novazeus said:

Seems v1.07 is stable.  No issues reported since.  Yes, you can set new speed limit as soon as you hit 200km total on your app and it is tied to each wheel.  Think the login is just for registration. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, US69 said:

The 200km mark is related to the wheel ...not to the registered rider.

As soon as you are over that mark you can adjust the sliders to 50kmh....theres no real unlock needed.

This weekend i was on a tour with a 18L rider, me on the 18S....no firmware bugs at all anymore. This rider trusted the cut off feature and we tested it several times and it worked absolutely flawless, doing exactly what it should do.

Everyone can think of that 200km “set free” whatever he wants....in the end KS just does this to get the rider used to the wheel before he can ride the full potential 50kmh. Nonetheless my opinion is that even 40kmh is more than enough and its no problem to wait 3 charges for a set free....

My 18S with 2700km was set free, 50kmh, his 18L still got the 40kmh “Lock”.....but not one time on our 40-45km tour we hear his wheel beepiing/“please decelerate”.....and we were the only the two of us and riding as fast as we want to....

What i mean is that in real life you even barely scratch 40kmh.....and we were really fast riding on this trip....still not enough to make his wheel “to slow”.....

yeah i absolutely agree that i’ll rarely go over 40kph. so i’m not complaining.

but, if i was selling my 18s to some crossover hotrod rider, it would be a bonus for him if mine was already “brokened in”. 

i thought i had to connect to the internet when i broke thru 201km, because i used my ipad and had to get close to my wifi to do it.  that’s why i thought it was tied to the rider. in other words, it asked me to sign in before letting me adjust the sliders.

19 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Seems v1.07 is stable.  No issues reported since.  Yes, you can set new speed limit as soon as you hit 200km total on your app and it is tied to each wheel.  Think the login is just for registration. 

it wouldn’t let me do it at 200, i actually had to do a couple more laps to get to 201.

is that using apple or android?

Edited by novazeus

• esaj changed the title to !!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying
  • Chriull unpinned this topic