Publuc transit

So, I got my King Song 14S with a purpose in mind.  I wanted to learn to ride it, and once I got confident enough, use it to get home from work.  My ride is about 11 miles.  I usually drive to a park 'n' ride, catch an express bus downtown, and do the reverse to get home.  My morning commute begins at 5:45, and ends at 6:30, my afternoon commute starts with a 40 minute wait from 3:30PM, catch the bus, then drive home, to arrive right before 5:00PM. 

I found out the hard way that the bus company doesn't like personal electric transport devices due to the batteries.  They cited fuel as the reason.  If that were true, that would mean diesel fumes would be entering the cab.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are various electrical stuffs around the cabin of the bus, not the least of which is a wifi hot spot, and a 2-way radio, followed by people with cell phones, each with a Li-Ion battery.  While the hover board incidents are worthy cause for concern, this doesn't excuse every other possible means by which a catastrophe can be had resulting in a carbecue.  Anyone else have trouble bringing their wheels onto a bus or other means of public transit? 

3 hours ago, Designated_david said:

I found out the hard way that the bus company doesn't like personal electric transport devices due to the batteries.  They cited fuel as the reason.  If that were true, that would mean diesel fumes would be entering the cab.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are various electrical stuffs around the cabin of the bus, not the least of which is a wifi hot spot, and a 2-way radio, followed by people with cell phones, each with a Li-Ion battery.  While the hover board incidents are worthy cause for concern, this doesn't excuse every other possible means by which a catastrophe can be had resulting in a carbecue.  Anyone else have trouble bringing their wheels onto a bus or other means of public transit? 

Did you find out after trying to board the bus with the 14S in your hand or did you call the bus company asking if it's ok to bring an electric unicycle with 840Wh of Li-Ion battery aboard the bus?

I don't think most bus driver would know or care if you bring an euc onboard, they look like a suitcase especially with the trolley handle deployed.

I've taken mine on both the subway in Philly and NYC as well as the Lanta bus to get there as I hate driving in big cities. My wheel is pretty obvious, ACM2, so I know they saw it yet didn't care in the slightest. Although I had many people ask questions hah. 

1 hour ago, Rotciv said:

Did you find out after trying to board the bus with the 14S in your hand or did you call the bus company asking if it's ok to bring an electric unicycle with 840Wh of Li-Ion battery aboard the bus?

I don't think most bus driver would know or care if you bring an euc onboard, they look like a suitcase especially with the trolley handle deployed.

Like I said, I found out the hard way, after I boarded.  I was counting on the latter, that he wouldn't know, or care, although I'm sure he very easily saw me ride up to the bus stop.  The bus was there before I was.  It usually is for a few minutes. 

Darn cheap hoverboard makers ruined things for everyone.  :furious:  It's interesting that they don't ban new flagship phones too.  Can anyone say Samsung Galaxy Note 7?  :whistling:

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-7-return-exchange-faq/

Or E-cigarettes... 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/15/health/electronic-cigarette-explosion-death-bn/index.html

i think big and this is what i think would actually work for public transportation in florida. 

elevated pedestrian and pev dedicated walkways/multi use paths above the interstate highways.

gotta be cheaper than running lightrail that ridership is low on in places like florida where suburbs are the norm.

http://www.constructforstl.org/kai-design-build-completes-1200-foot-long-elevated-pedestrian-skywalk/

41985798125_3d07293a8c_b.jpg

28017338137_1ddc3bf149_b.jpg

I happen to drive a bus, if electric wheel chairs are welcome then so is EUC.  During my break I even had a challenge by a guy on a wheel chair for a race, on my Mten3. :blink:  We all know who won... :D  By me riding on bus terminal everyday, bus operators will have no issues regarding EUC around here.  ;)

11 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

I happen to drive a bus, if electric wheel chairs are welcome then so is EUC.  During my break I even had a challenge by a guy on a wheel chair for a race, on my Mten3. :blink:  We all know who won... :D  By me riding on bus terminal everyday, bus operators will have no issues regarding EUC around here.  ;)

If a bus driver asks what it is as you step onto the bus, say its a suitcase. Where I live a bus driver said 'is that one of those things that catch on fire?' I just walked past him and ignored his question because I wanted to go home.

22 minutes ago, Esper said:

If a bus driver asks what it is as you step onto the bus, say its a suitcase. Where I live a bus driver said 'is that one of those things that catch on fire?' I just walked past him and ignored his question because I wanted to go home.

Few years ago, I had a passenger get on with electric scooter, I called into radio control to verify what the companies position was, no problem... He probably just wanted to know, what a cool contraption you had... Just being sarcastic... Don't forget most of us drivers are just a half step up from knuckle dragging Neanderthal lol... 

8 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Few years ago, I had a passenger get on with electric scooter, I called in to radio control to verify what the companies position was, no problem... He probably just wanted to know, what a cool contraption you had... Just being sarcastic... Don't forget most of us drivers are just a step up from knuckle dragging Neanderthal lol... 

i was in vail a few years ago when weed became legal. in vail they have buses running all the time and i was chatting with the driver and he was saying they had a hard time finding drivers that could pee clean. 

i guess i’d be unqualified. i hate to drive anyway. got the knuckle dragging down though.

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Darn cheap hoverboard makers ruined things for everyone.  :furious:  It's interesting that they don't ban new flagship phones too.  Can anyone say Samsung Galaxy Note 7?  :whistling:

https://www.cnet.com/g00/news/samsung-galaxy-note-7-return-exchange-faq/?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNhLw%3D%3D&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=14

Or E-cigarettes... 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/15/health/electronic-cigarette-explosion-death-bn/index.html

shmuip44ohux.jpg

No trouble with transit here, where everything is banned and they throw snow balls at Santa Claus. The only reaction I got from a bus driver was they waited while I got off to see if I could actually mount and ride the thing. I ride a lot on sidewalks in residential neighborhoods where the side walks are too narrow for me to pass. The pedestrians readily move aside with no attitude other than admiration. If eucs start popping up everywhere on buses, rail and sidewalks, however, I suspect tolerance will change drastically.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:40 PM, Designated_david said:

So, I got my King Song 14S with a purpose in mind.  I wanted to learn to ride it, and once I got confident enough, use it to get home from work.  My ride is about 11 miles.  I usually drive to a park 'n' ride, catch an express bus downtown, and do the reverse to get home.  My morning commute begins at 5:45, and ends at 6:30, my afternoon commute starts with a 40 minute wait from 3:30PM, catch the bus, then drive home, to arrive right before 5:00PM. 

A back pack or carry bag will probably offer the lease problems. I have ordered a larger wheel, so that using public transit is not required for my commute or errand running. Philly is "very bike friendly" with bike lanes and trails that cover 80% of my 8.5 mile commute each way. Good Luck! 

I ride the Marta train in Atlanta most days on my commute. No issues except once a police officer asked me to not ride in the station. No problem with that.

When the weather is nice I'm riding my KS14C to from my house to the DC Metro subway station (about a mile) and from the subway station to work (about another mile). Nobody bothers me at all. The only rule they have is no riding once you're past the turnstile. That rule is because about 15 years ago someone rode a Segway off the platform onto the tracks. ? When I'm on the train I just slide the wheel under the seat. It's actually been good because my knee still isn't 100% but riding is less stressful on it than walking 4 miles a day. 

I'm seeing a LOT more electrics around the city in the past year. In the past week I've seen plenty of scooters (Bird and Lime) plus a OneWheel, an electric skateboard, and even another EUC. One guy in my office has an electric bike. 

39 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

When the weather is nice I'm riding my KS14C to from my house to the DC Metro subway station (about a mile) and from the subway station to work (about another mile). Nobody bothers me at all. 

I'm seeing a LOT more electrics around the city in the past year. In the past week I've seen plenty of scooters (Bird and Lime) plus a OneWheel, an electric skateboard, and even another EUC. One guy in my office has an electric bike. 

I'm up in the DC area several times a month on business and I always bring my Gotway Tesla with me.  I typically get a hotel within a mile or two of where I'll be working and then just keep my car in the parking garage and ride to my meeting.  I also find it makes parking soooo much easier, since if I'm just in the area for a quick day trip, I'm not so concerned about trying to find a good parking spot.  I just park and then ride my Tesla to my meeting.  It's so convenient and I've never had any issues with law enforcement.  In fact, typically when I'm riding around, I have the local police stop me and ask me where they can get one for themselves.  ?  Plus, the trolley handle on the Tesla makes it easy to take it around all the shops, hotels and metro that I never travel to DC without it anymore!

2 hours ago, Charles McLean said:

I'm up in the DC area several times a month on business and I always bring my Gotway Tesla with me.  I typically get a hotel within a mile or two of where I'll be working and then just keep my car in the parking garage and ride to my meeting.  I also find it makes parking soooo much easier, since if I'm just in the area for a quick day trip, I'm not so concerned about trying to find a good parking spot.  I just park and then ride my Tesla to my meeting.  It's so convenient and I've never had any issues with law enforcement.  In fact, typically when I'm riding around, I have the local police stop me and ask me where they can get one for themselves.  ?  Plus, the trolley handle on the Tesla makes it easy to take it around all the shops, hotels and metro that I never travel to DC without it anymore!

This makes me curious if a police officer would stop someone that is riding one based on their cloths. I know for sure that appearance changes peoples demeanor towards a person. If a person is dressed nicely the chances of being stopped are most likely reduced based on my past experiences. 

12 hours ago, Esper said:

This makes me curious if a police officer would stop someone that is riding one based on their cloths. I know for sure that appearance changes peoples demeanor towards a person. If a person is dressed nicely the chances of being stopped are most likely reduced based on my past experiences. 

I'm usually in suit, or slacks, dress shirt and tie while riding around DC.  The only time I get stopped is the folks who are curious where they can get one and how far / fast they go.  But, every other time I ride around my home town in VA, nobody bothers me and I get stopped all the time by police who are curious about the wheel, but nobody ever harasses me.  Virginia has a law that allows personal electronic assisted devices (hoverboards, e-bikes, EUCs, etc) to ride on any roads with a speed limit less than 25 MPH, or on any bike lane or sidewalk.  The only restriction is keeping your speed below 25 MPH regardless of where you are riding.

Archived