THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

This is a VR 360 Video of the Gopro Fusion.  You can move your phone around or drag the angle you want with your finger or cursor.  It's 4k HQ.  Audio is also 360 video.

It's a fast ride with the V10F, which, BTW, it's one of my favorite wheels (and most comfortable, by a great margin - if you're 6.2 and 205 pounds).

Inmotion V10F - EUC - Electric Unicycle - 4 minutes of 360 Audio and 4k Video - Gopro Fusion - VR

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, I must say this video is very special. I can't put my finger on it, but it has the feel of a computer rendered movie. Maybe it's the subject matter?

Very nice :cheers:

What camera are you using? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 360 camera, leaning towards the Insta360. I love the clarity of your video - do you have any examples that include your wheel in the shot?

Gopro Fusion (I have one): video quality is much better than the insta, but it comes with a price: you'll need a very fast computer (8 cores or more) to export and stitch the videos you take (you may try using a slower computer, but that's gonna take forever); After exporting, you'll need Adobe Premiere CC Pro for Gopro VR plugin use and overcapture (you may also use FCP for that, without the plugins, it works, but the image quality is lower, and the editing angles are worse).

You may export overcaptured video straight from Gopro Fusion Studio, but you won't be able to make the cool transitions etc.  And the Gopro Fusion Studio app demands a multicore computer + very good video card (if you don't wanna wait for a 12 hours rendering).

The reason it takes so long it's not just the software, but the size of the files (higher resolution) that make it looks better than the Insta.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Wheel Plug said:

Even with the Insta360 One it does take awhile to handle all the files. I opted for it because of the lower price point and the included free software is pretty great! But im sure the fusion video quality is much better. Both seem to be great options, it just depends on what you want out of it and how much time you are willing to spend processing and editing video 

Can you give me an idea how long it took to produce the above video? Importing, stitching, selecting the views, exporting the video. Just approximates.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Can you give me an idea how long it took to produce the above video? Importing, stitching, selecting the views, exporting the video. Just approximates.

This was part of a ride i did this morning. The raw files from the camera are .insv files (Insta360 Video File) and you use their free software to covert it into a Spherical Video Mp4 first. I'm not sure what the specs of your computer are, but on my 2011 Macbook Pro with 4GB of ram it took about 10-20 mins for that to process.

After that you end up with a spherical video file. These are the type of videos you could upload to facebook and allow people to look around on their own like this.
https://www.facebook.com/360do.kr/videos/1919916084722919

After that, you drag this new MP4 back into the software and this is when you can select your focal points by adding markers. Then you render out that which yields a flat video like the one you see above. This time it took about 5 minutes or so.

I then added music and fx in Adobe After Effects, but obviously that's optional.

Essentially, depending on your computer specs, you could create the above video in 20-40 mins (less if your computer is an absolute beast)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, The Wheel Plug said:

This was part of a ride i did this morning. The raw files from the camera are .insv files (Insta360 Video File) and you use their free software to covert it into a Spherical Video Mp4 first. I'm not sure what the specs of your computer are, but on my 2011 Macbook Pro with 4GB of ram it took about 10-20 mins for that to process.

After that you end up with a spherical video file. These are the type of videos you could upload to facebook and allow people to look around on their own like this.
https://www.facebook.com/360do.kr/videos/1919916084722919

After that, you drag this new MP4 back into the software and this is when you can select your focal points by adding markers. Then you render out that which yields a flat video like the one you see above. This time it took about 5 minutes or so.

I then added music and fx in Adobe After Effects, but obviously that's optional.

Essentially, depending on your computer specs, you could create the above video in 20-40 mins (less if your computer is an absolute beast)

Very useful. Thanks.

So the raw files that took ~15-minutes to process represent more than the ~2-minute video posted? If it takes 15-minutes for the initial processing of just 2-minutes of raw video, I'm in trouble (I can easily start with 30-minutes of raw footage).

I have a 2017 PC: 8-cores running at 4-GHz with 32-GB of RAM. So it's one of the more powerful machines available.

Edited by Marty Backe

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very useful. Thanks.

So the raw files that took ~15-minutes to process represent more than the ~2-minute video posted? If it takes 15-minutes for the initial processing of just 2-minutes of raw video, I'm in trouble (I can easily start with 30-minutes of raw footage).

I have a 2017 PC: 8-cores running at 4-GHz with 24-GB of RAM. So it's one of the more powerful machines available.

That is correct. The two minute video file took 10-20 minutes to initially export from .insv to spherical .mp4

but honestly with your machine, i have reason to believe it would be MUCH faster, as it is leaps and bounds higher is specs! Also, the Insta360 Studio (included free software) has a processing queue, so you can just chuck everything into it and walk away while multiple videos and tasks process (y)

I'm willing to bet with your machine it wouldn't take more than an hour to process 30 minutes of raw footage. You also can trim the .insv files before rendering them out in the software, so you wouldn't need to export footage you weren't going to use.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Wheel Plug said:

That is correct. The two minute video file took 10-20 minutes to initially export from .insv to spherical .mp4

but honestly with your machine, i have reason to believe it would be MUCH faster, as it is leaps and bounds higher is specs! Also, the Insta360 Studio (included free software) has a processing queue, so you can just chuck everything into it and walk away while multiple videos and tasks process (y)

I'm willing to bet with your machine it wouldn't take more than an hour to process 30 minutes of raw footage. You also can trim the .insv files before rendering them out in the software, so you wouldn't need to export footage you weren't going to use.

Thanks! I really appreciate your real-world input on this camera. Greatly helps with my decision.

:cheers:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Wheel Plug said:

Can you export an overcapture video in 4k (with the free software)?  Or overcapture videos are limited to HD?

4 hours ago, Gustesta said:

Gopro Fusion (I have one): video quality is much better than the insta, but it comes with a price: you'll need a very fast computer (8 cores or more) to export and stitch the videos you take (you may try using a slower computer, but that's gonna take forever); After exporting, you'll need Adobe Premiere CC Pro for Gopro VR plugin use and overcapture (you may also use FCP for that, without the plugins, it works, but the image quality is lower, and the editing angles are worse).

You may export overcaptured video straight from Gopro Fusion Studio, but you won't be able to make the cool transitions etc.  And the Gopro Fusion Studio app demands a multicore computer + very good video card (if you don't wanna wait for a 12 hours rendering).

The reason it takes so long it's not just the software, but the size of the files (higher resolution) that make it looks better than the Insta.  

There's been several mentions of massive stitching times which is a problem I haven't been having; on my system it only takes a few minutes, even for longer videos. I really don't know if my system would be classified as a very fast computer so I'll just throw out the basic specs: i5-7500 cpu, 16gb ram, geforce gtx 1050 ti  graphics card, with a solid state 240GB main drive and a 2TB magnetic secondary drive.

Edited by yegwheel
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Just for comparison, I'll see how long it would take to create a similar video using the GoPro, *without* .Premier Pro. Unless something comes up I'll try to do the whole thing... from recording the raw footage to the finished product... on Saturday. I'll post a record of how long each step took at the same time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, yegwheel said:

There's been several mentions of massive stitching times which is a problem I haven't been having; on my system it only takes a few minutes, even for longer videos. I really don't know if my system would be classified as a very fast computer so I'll just throw out the basic specs: i5-7500 cpu, 16gb ram, geforce gtx 1050 ti  graphics card, with a solid state 240GB main drive and a 2TB magnetic secondary drive.

It's a very good machine.  I'm using an i9-7940x (14 core), 48Gb Ram and a GTX 1080ti, and have now problems stitching.  But if I use my 6 core Macbook pro, it takes 1 hour to stitch a 4 minutes 360 video.  On my PC, it takes less than 10 minutes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, yegwheel said:

Just for comparison, I'll see how long it would take to create a similar video using the GoPro, *without* .Premier Pro. Unless something comes up I'll try to do the whole thing... from recording the raw footage to the finished product... on Saturday. I'll post a record of how long each step took at the same time.

Wow, very cool.

It's all the 'talk' about long processing time and the need for Premier Pro ($250/year ad infinitum) that keeps me from pulling the trigger on the Fusion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, very cool.

It's all the 'talk' about long processing time and the need for Premier Pro ($250/year ad infinitum) that keeps me from pulling the trigger on the Fusion.

I read somewhere insta is bringing a new camera soon... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Roo, did you use the water proof housing for the insta360?  Did you water proof the MSX?

Nope... and not really other than a little insulation tape on the power button and top seams. Should probably find time to do a thorough job.

2 hours ago, Gustesta said:

And it's also a little big :w00t2:

Nice video!  Can you export in 4k?  

I don’t think I can with the Insta360 One, other owners please correct me if I’m wrong!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

Nope... and not really other than a little insulation tape on the power button and top seams. Should probably find time to do a thorough job.

I don’t think I can with the Insta360 One, other owners please correct me if I’m wrong!

The software allows you to export in 4k. You just have to choose the custom option and then set the resolution

• Like 1