THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

Thought provoking video, thanks! I appreciate both sides of the argument. Kick-eScooters will always be the most desirable PEV to the general public. Because of this they will also be the pev most scrutinized/banned. EUCs will always be the smallest, least visible pev segment, because of the learning curve and the fear of falling. This will  prove to be a good or bad thing in the days ahead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Awesome to hear Washington has its head in the right place; going to have to read up more on what happened there. It would be good also to know the statistics on car and bike accidents in order to be ready with those when the safety argument is raised.

26 minutes ago, yegwheel said:

Here is another video that was taken on a wheel but doesn't show me riding it at all; I like it because it shows what a great combination 360 cameras and wheels can be. This bridge just had its official opening two days before this was shot.

Wow, I must say this video is very special. I can't put my finger on it, but it has the feel of a computer rendered movie. Maybe it's the subject matter?

Very nice :cheers:

What camera are you using? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 360 camera, leaning towards the Insta360. I love the clarity of your video - do you have any examples that include your wheel in the shot?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, I must say this video is very special. I can't put my finger on it, but it has the feel of a computer rendered movie. Maybe it's the subject matter?

What camera are you using? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 360 camera, leaning towards the Insta360. I love the clarity of your video - do you have any examples that include your wheel in the shot?

I'm biased, but if you want the best consumer 360 camera, it has to be the GoPro Fusion. Ben Claremont is very well respected in the 360 community. If you don't want to take his word for it, check out videos from 360rumors instead.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

I'm biased, but if you want the best consumer 360 camera, it has to be the GoPro Fusion. Ben Claremont is very well respected in the 360 community. If you don't want to take his word for it, check out videos from 360rumors instead.

I've seen that (and others) review. Although the quality looks great, I'm turned off by the poor software performance and lack of features that the newer cameras have.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It has very good image stabilization, absolutely no shaking, making it (like you rightly said) look cg-like. I'd guess a (pricier) gimbal is involved.

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It has very good image stabilization, absolutely no shaking, making it (like you rightly said) look cg-like. I'd guess a (pricier) gimbal is involved.

No gimbal is needed with 360 camera and this is one of its great advantage over regular camera :) This is because it gets the whole sphere, so you can stabilize the footage in post production. I have GoPro 6 with gimbal and it still doesn't stabilize well when riding EUC.

In regard to GoPro Fusion, I have to say that this is a great camera, but GoPro Fusion Studio app is a piece of shit. I had to use older 1.1 version, because 1.2 hangs while starting to render. Seems I'm not alone with such opinion about GoPro software.

Edited by Seba
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, yegwheel said:

Here is another video that was taken on a wheel but doesn't show me riding it at all; I like it because it shows what a great combination 360 cameras and wheels can be. This bridge just had its official opening two days before this was shot.

Absolutely beautiful! I agree the  imagery of your wheel would have spoiled the moment. You should submit your video to the local news stations. There is no way they could exceed the quality of your work. 

What editing program are you using? I’ve been working with Vegas Pro and am blown away with the rendering settings and plug in special effects. I expect your program is top notch. 

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Absolutely beautiful! I agree the  imagery of your wheel would have spoiled the moment. You should submit your video to the local news stations. There is no way they could exceed the quality of your work. 

What editing program are you using? I’ve been working with Vegas Pro and am blown away with the rendering settings and plug in special effects. I expect your program is top notch. 

Thanks! I'm slowly getting a handle on this video thing; I might check into TV idea, wouldn't hurt to make that connection anyway.

I'm using Adobe Premier Pro with a GoPro plugin that converts 360 video into normal flat video. It's nice to be able to ride around once  or twice to collect raw footage, then pick out the shots and angles and such in post.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah the Bridge itself is a pretty sweet subject, and nice to get it when its new before the wear and tear and pigeons start nibbling away at it.

I started with a cheapo (Samsung) 360 but I hated the quality of the finished video, so I upgraded to a GoPro Fusion. It shoots in 5K so you still have a nice 4k result after you flatten it out. (By default it shoots at lower resolution, so you have to change the settings) 

Everything I've posted in here and on the YouTube channel (yegwheel) is from the GoPro with the exception of the timelapse one. I have started on a video that focuses more on the wheel itself but I got sidetracked by the bridge thing. The quality is slowly getting better as I learn how to use the tools, so the quality of the first few shouldn't be held against the camera.

The main issue people have with the GoPro is that there is a bit of work on the back end to get the video out: you have to transfer the raw  files to the computer, stitch them up with Fusion Studio, then pull them into Premier Pro to produce a  final video of any quality. Once you get organized it's not too bad.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've seen that (and others) review. Although the quality looks great, I'm turned off by the poor software performance and lack of features that the newer cameras have.

Most of the reviews I've seen of the Fusion 360 software issues were done in the early days. The current version (1.2) has been fine for me. I can take a bunch of video in the morning and have it all transferred and ready for post processing in Premier Pro a few minutes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I do have a gimbal but I haven't used it since I got the GoPro. What you see there is just the stabilization applied by Fusion Studio as part of the stitching process.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, yegwheel said:

Yeah the Bridge itself is a pretty sweet subject, and nice to get it when its new before the wear and tear and pigeons start nibbling away at it.

I started with a cheapo (Samsung) 360 but I hated the quality of the finished video, so I upgraded to a GoPro Fusion. It shoots in 5K so you still have a nice 4k result after you flatten it out. (By default it shoots at lower resolution, so you have to change the settings) 

Everything I've posted in here and on the YouTube channel (yegwheel) is from the GoPro with the exception of the timelapse one. I have started on a video that focuses more on the wheel itself but I got sidetracked by the bridge thing. The quality is slowly getting better as I learn how to use the tools, so the quality of the first few shouldn't be held against the camera.

The main issue people have with the GoPro is that there is a bit of work on the back end to get the video out: you have to transfer the raw  files to the computer, stitch them up with Fusion Studio, then pull them into Premier Pro to produce a  final video of any quality. Once you get organized it's not too bad.

You may have just convinced me. I need to look into Fusion Studio to make sure it can do what I'd like.

54 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You may have just convinced me. I need to look into Fusion Studio to make sure it can do what I'd like.

I find Fusion Studio is really only useful to get the video stitched up and stabilized and handed off to Premier Pro. For the quality of stuff you are doing these days, I don't think FS by itself would cut it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yegwheel said:

Thanks! I'm slowly getting a handle on this video thing; I might check into TV idea, wouldn't hurt to make that connection anyway.

I would email the local TV stations a link to your Youtube video. You just might have a second job. Creating videos using EUCs without depicting the wheel in the footage gives the audience a fresh new perspective of the subject matter. 

6 hours ago, yegwheel said:

I'm using Adobe Premier Pro with a GoPro plugin that converts 360 video into normal flat video. It's nice to be able to ride around once  or twice to collect raw footage, then pick out the shots and angles and such in post.

I vacillated between Adobe Premier Pro and Vegas. Yes collecting 360 raw footage and tweaking it later to your discretion is fun and addictive. 

Edited by Rehab1

1 hour ago, yegwheel said:

I find Fusion Studio is really only useful to get the video stitched up and stabilized and handed off to Premier Pro. For the quality of stuff you are doing these days, I don't think FS by itself would cut it.

Yeah, now I'm back to maybe the Insta360.

Clearly the Fusion create superb video. But I don't use Premier Pro (another somewhat pricey component) and even with the newest Fusion Studio, it looks like the post-processing is too laborious (I tend not to shoot 2-minute videos - I'm more long format).

I think with innovations coming out of Insta360 and the resulting pressures on all the 360 manufacturers, 2019 will see one or more cameras with Fusion quality and Insta360 software, and a reasonable cost.

So now I'm leaning towards the Insta360 again as my bridge camera between the Sony X3000 and my future 360 camera. Something fun to play with, shoots decent video, but doesn't keep me stuck behind the computer for hours.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, now I'm back to maybe the Insta360.

Clearly the Fusion create superb video. But I don't use Premier Pro (another somewhat pricey component) and even with the newest Fusion Studio, it looks like the post-processing is too laborious (I tend not to shoot 2-minute videos - I'm more long format).

I think with innovations coming out of Insta360 and the resulting pressures on all the 360 manufacturers, 2019 will see one or more cameras with Fusion quality and Insta360 software, and a reasonable cost.

So now I'm leaning towards the Insta360 again as my bridge camera between the Sony X3000 and my future 360 camera. Something fun to play with, shoots decent video, but doesn't keep me stuck behind the computer for hours.

Thanks.

Makes sense; I'm curious to try the Insta360 myself to see if it might work as a second camera when I need to get stuff out in closer to real time.

• Like 1