Rehab1´s accident(s)

Rehab1

8 hours ago, ramma said:

They decided on the reverse replacement, so both sides. She's just starting the pre-surgery prep which is ~3 weeks of physical therapy, tests, and classes. Then the surgeon said 6 weeks before she's allowed to drive again (I can chauffeur on an EUC, right?!). I'll have to come up with some more balanced meals to make too.

They are doing more and more of the reverse surgeries with great results. That procedure was discussed with me due to the extent of the injury. I chose the biological route but the possibility still exists. 6 weeks without driving. Ugh. What arm is being operated on?

8 hours ago, ramma said:

That looks kind of like what her doctor recommended, but insurance wouldn't cover. We've got a pretty good amount of flexible gel ice packs but something designed specifically for the shoulder would be nice. She's got one of those fancy adjustable beds, so it should be great for being more upright as needed.

Do you have an EBay in your country that you could locate a used one? If you lived in the US I would let her borrow it. There are specific shoulder wraps that contain the packs or you can just go with a large ace wrap to hold the pack in place. So the insurance covered the bed but not the ice machine? Go figure.

8 hours ago, ramma said:

Fingers crossed she follows what she preaches here. I'm on disability from migraines and TN, and maybe it's just a motherly/parental response, but she's always encouraged me to do whatever I can to reduce my pain. Yet she's (impressively) powered through thus far with little more than a few steroid shots.

Motherly love! If I can ask how old is your mom?

8 hours ago, ramma said:

been through so many different departments of the hospital that even though none had answers for my issues, the place as a whole is great.

Thanks for the tips, and hope things keep healing well!

Write everything down so the physician perceives you have a list of questions to ask at your appointment.  Thanks!

Edited by Rehab1

13 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

What arm is being operated on?

It's her left, but she's right handed, so hopefully that makes things a little easier.

Do you have an EBay in your country that you could locate a used one? If you lived in the US I would let her borrow it. There are specific shoulder wraps that contain the packs or you can just go with a large ace wrap to hold the pack in place. So the insurance covered the bed but not the ice machine? Go figure.

I'm actually in the PNW US. I used to work in medical research(cancer bioinformatics), so she was going to show me what the surgeon specifically recommended to see if maybe I'd come across something similar and more affordable. She had the bed well before all this just as a luxury purchase. Gotta admit, I'm pretty jealous of the bed, but good adjustable ones aren't cheap.

I can ask how old is your mom?

Early 60's. Luckily we're in the same house till her ADU is finished, given it starts ><, so it's really convenient for helping with recovery. I guess if she gets so much as a cat scratch they could call it off, and we've got 3 cats still acclimting to one another, so we'll have to find her some kevlar blankets or something!

On 4/15/2018 at 9:49 PM, ramma said:

I'm actually in the PNW US. I used to work in medical research(cancer bioinformatics), so she was going to show me what the surgeon specifically recommended to see if maybe I'd come across something similar and more affordable. 

I just found the same unit I used on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DONJOY-ICEMAN-CLASSIC-1100-Cold-Therapy-Pump-Universal-Cold-Pad/273158441235?hash=item3f99830913:g:ejwAAOSwYUBa0Y7l

On 4/15/2018 at 9:49 PM, ramma said:

Early 60's. Luckily we're in the same house till her ADU is finished, given it starts ><, so it's really convenient for helping with recovery. I guess if she gets so much as a cat scratch they could call it off, and we've got 3 cats still acclimting to one another, so we'll have to find her some kevlar blankets or something!

Infections run rampant and both hospitals and surgeons prefer excellent outcomes. No sense on taking a chance with a cat scratch.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

Amazing depiction of Evel Knievel’s numerous injuries. I wonder if he was married. My wife stormed out of the house two hours ago when she asked if I had rode my EUC since the accident. I couldn’t lie. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

I was at clinic this morning and was told by the attending orthopedist that based on my previous X-rays a month ago my humerus should be healed in a few weeks. Then I will have my wife’s blessings to ride again. :cheers:

She'll give her blessing? Congrats!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

She'll give her blessing? Congrats!

Thanks! Yes I will be able to ride again without being under the cloak of secrecy. My wife did state one condition:  “Don’t expect me to take care of you if you hurt yourself again!”  I suppose I had that coming. It has been a painful journey for both of us. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks! Yes I will be able to ride again without being under the cloak of secrecy. My wife did state one condition:  “Don’t expect me to take care of you if you hurt yourself again!”  I suppose I had that coming. It has been a painful journey for both of us. 

Glad to hear you're coming out of the closet... Just tell us all that you left that creepy baby head in there?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I was at clinic this morning and was told by the attending orthopedist that based on my previous X-rays a month ago my humerus should be healed in a few weeks. Then I will have my wife’s blessings to ride again. :cheers:

Very glad to hear that, while still experiencing some fatigue pains and swelling of the left hand after a hard days work I now feel ok myself again. Strength is back, angles back to about 90% and feels so good after almost 6 months in total since accident. Need to say I'll never ride without wrist guards ever again and became a very expensive learning curve due to acting stupid and not learning from others mistakes before me.

So yes, while not as complicated as your humerus I can at least semi relate now, well apart for the wife thingy I mean, I'm a'll my own but I suppose that have got it's pros and cons and nice to have someone who care too, right? :)

• Like 2

On 3/16/2018 at 12:54 PM, Rehab1 said:

My new jacket has decent shoulder pads but there is always room for improvement. My new forearm/ elbow pads would have helped in the accident. They will be getting some additional padding as well. 

I would like links to both sets of pads. 

I am at upgrade time, and those knee pads look great. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 4:14 PM, GoinPostal said:

I would like links to both sets of pads. 

I am at upgrade time, and those knee pads look great. 

I am so sorry to keep you hanging.

This is where I purchased the jacket. Shipping to the US was fast. 

https://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Spidi-Sport-S-R-L-T187-026-L-Multitech-Armor-Evo-p/wps474-9003l.htm

Knee pads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F5Y8ERW/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Elbow pads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A2L1UFQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524515643&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fox+titan+pro+elbow+guards&dpPl=1&dpID=41xojSg3aoL&ref=plSrch

My wife:

26787403837_cd99d0f5a9_b.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You know, as your shoulder gets stronger you'll be able to replace those weights with the Mten3 and work yourself up to the Tesla. Then you'll feel like you're even more in the EUC game :clap3:

I’m getting there Marty!    ?️‍♀️?

Does an empty KS 14C shell count? 

40975492464_26ab9f3f83_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

I did not realize how much my leg muscles have atrophied over the past 3 months from my limited riding activity. I  took Tesla out for a longer ride today (nothing fast or fancy) and after 10 minutes my legs ached and my balance has diminished. The injury is challenging but I keep saying to myself that far worse things could have resulted from the accident. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I did not realize how much my leg muscles have atrophied over the past 3 months from my limited riding activity. I  took Tesla out for a longer ride today (nothing fast or fancy) and after 10 minutes my legs ached and my balance has diminished. The injury is challenging but I keep saying to myself that far worse things could have resulted from the accident. 

Yes, it takes time to come back. I vividly remember the results of my meniscus problems, my left leg got much weaker. For a very long time I got even more right foot dominant. It took half a year before the feeling of weakness subsided totally.

• Like 1