Agression attempt while riding ?

Pingouin

Have you considered wearing a helmet/chest mounted camera for using as documentation when you are reporting those f... stupid retarded slime eels to the police?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Self defense plan:

1. wear good protection gear, for your safety when face planting and self-defense.

2. Install a pepper spray facing the back of EUC, with trigger on the glove, so you can spray when bad dog or human chasing you. You should only do this if you can ride fast to run away.

I ride in Toronto, Canada and even though Canada is greatly known for being extremely nice these things will not be avoidable in the city. I find this more prominent in western society(North america) compared to Eastern(Asia). My assumption is the freedom and willingness to voice their own opinions and culturally known to be more confrontational.

I've personally experienced where people have personally yelled profanity at me and some racial comments. I've had a person who purposely got in the way to push me off making me hit the wall.  

PS: I've rode in both NYC, Toronto, as well as China and Taiwan and these are my own observations

Unfortunately there's no shortage of idiots in the world that's for sure.  You need a license to have a pet cat or dog and to drive a car, but to have babies it's a free for all.  What you end up with are products of poor upbringing who perpetuate the idiot gene.  Some wonderful parents even try to throw their babies out in the trash so you can see the quality of care is quite lacking which results in individuals growing up who do not respect others.  I would recommend riding defensively and keep aware that you and your wheel may be attention magnets.  Be prepared to defend yourself if there is no other option, and report bad behavior to the authorities if you think they can help prevent it in the future.

On 3/13/2017 at 1:38 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Be prepared to defend yourself if there is no other option

Music to my ears This method works quite well in my country. I know, I know .... I have heard it countless times..guns are bad. 

The hostility you get may more be the result of being in transitional (or publicly shared) spaces, and can be surprising if you're a car driver. This type of behavior is simply common as a pedestrian regardless of where you are or who you are.

I would say always be aware of your surroundings and always be thinking of an exit. The one time I did get very roughly beat up (black eyes, broken nose, concussion) was when I passed by a group of drunk young men, not really noticing them, and suddenly I was surounded and that was that. Two other men were attacked that same night, possibly by the same group, and with injuries the same as mine.

I'm very cautious approaching groups of young men; I do not antagonize them in any way but I also am careful in keeping outside leaping punch distance. Space is your best friend. You can also ask questions to distract or diffuse them, but do understand occasionally some men are wildly antagonistic towards men walking alone.

I also recommend taking vicious dedicated fighting classes like Muay Thai or boxing (I have several years of those). This is not to win fights but for you to take a punch and be ok with it. And that buys you time to do something like getting out of there, or wrong footing someone.

If you keep your chin down (the opposite of what most aggressive males do) and have a bit of space (also the opposite), then most inexperienced men throw shots at your face which you can take on the crown of your head. Doesn't hurt at all but hands are delicate.

Be especially wary of men asking you for the time. No good ever came from that question. Don't stop and keep your distance.

I live in St Louis, by the way. Always in the top three most violent cities in the USA, per capita. I think we're three times more violent than Chicago. "Rough neighborhood" is an euphimism for "opportunistic violence".

Mind you, groups of violent young men aren't a bad thing; tribes that didn't have such men have not historically survived long, but perhaps that situation might be slightly inappropriate in our modern society.

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

It would be nice if a bunch of us could make our way to your French town and ride as a group! It would definitely be a deterrence! I would love to stop and talk to these guys and gain some insight as to what their issues in life are!  

I would rather go as a EUC group to that french town and shoot down every bad dude, US style. I'm really pissed that one of our riders is being targeted be it in French land, here or anywhere. I'm already pissed with other kind of idiots that are ruining the pleasure of flying drones. The other day when I was flying my drone this crepe put his head out from his car window and said " I have a 9 year old boy so I'm taking a picture of you and your license plate". And he drove off. WTF?

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

The hostility you get may more be the result of being in transitional (or publicly shared) spaces, and can be surprising if you're a car driver. This type of behavior is simply common as a pedestrian regardless of where you are or who you are.

To me what op actually describes is racism, plain and simple. Too extreme and specific for "surprised drivers".

Would the same people do the same things to a bigger/taller/heavier guy? Maybe, maybe not.

Would the same people do the same things to a "native" (even same body size as op)? I can't see that happening.

Mind you, we're not talking about stupid comments, but pretty heavy physical violence (attempts).

26 minutes ago, Planetpapi said:

I would rather go as a EUC group to that french town and shoot down every bad dude, US style. I'm really pissed that one of our riders is being targeted be it in French land, here or anywhere. I'm already pissed with other kind of idiots that are ruining the pleasure of flying drones. The other day when I was flying my drone this crepe put his head out from his car window and said " I have a 9 year old boy so I'm taking a picture of you and your license plate". And he drove off. WTF?

Probably tough to sneak a gun in France but I do love civil confrontations! I suppose my lack of fluency in the French language might diminish any impactful dialogue but hand jesters are universal!:clap3: 

Sorry about your drone issues! Damn this pisses me off as well! I need a stiff drink tonight!

32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

To me what op actually describes is racism, plain and simple. Too extreme and specific for "surprised drivers".

Would the same people do the same things to a bigger/taller/heavier guy? Maybe, maybe not.

Would the same people do the same things to a "native" (even same body size as op)? I can't see that happening.

Mind you, we're not talking about stupid comments, but pretty heavy physical violence (attempts).

I mean to say, and I thought I had very clearly stated so, that such occurances are common in the pedestrian world.

Please reread my paragraph, and see how it exactly agrees with your statement.

5 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

The other day when I was flying my drone this crepe put his head out from his car window and said " I have a 9 year old boy so I'm taking a picture of you and your license plate". And he drove off. WTF?

Anger leads to the dark side.  Don't let the antics of others shape your outlook on life.  That's what Yoda taught me when I was a young padawan.  :innocent1:

Maybe the correct way to interpret what ocurred is that the guy in the car wanted so badly to own his own drone, but his wife scolded him and his 9 year old told him that they were toys meant only for children and not for adults.  When he saw you flying he was eager to get some evidence that even grown men are allowed to play with these toys.... er drone devices.  As further evidence that you were an adult flying a drone and not a kid, he needed to get a photo of your plate because you look very youthful.

On 13/03/2017 at 7:29 PM, LanghamP said:

I don't think so, all of the incidents occured when I was on a bike lane, pedestrians & cars have nothing to do on it and I didn't surprise them in any way, I did not stare at them, I did nothing that could have lead to these situations, and I was at a certain distance. I am very aware of my surroundings, like I said earlier, I always look around to avoid issues, and I always ride very slow when passing pedestrians, I always leave the priority to others, and I always answer the questions if they are "intelligent".

On 13/03/2017 at 8:37 PM, Planetpapi said:

I wouldn't be that exteme, I agree that it's very frustrating that these kind of people don't get any kind of counterpart, but if I were to take them down, I think I would be the guilty one. I also fly drones & people think they aren't allowed, I always have to explain to them that I have an agreement, that I respect the legislation etc, it's very annoying but it's todays society..

On 13/03/2017 at 7:13 PM, Rehab1 said:

Music to my ears This method works quite well in my country. I know, I know .... I have heard it countless times..guns are bad. 

Guns are not bad, if in good hands, but unforunately France has some of the toughest gun laws, I think if I had a gun on my EUC, nobody would bother me, but having one in france is likely to get me to jail ^^

On 3/13/2017 at 2:37 PM, Planetpapi said:

I would rather go as a EUC group to that french town and shoot down every bad dude, US style.

You mean, US movie style, right?  Hopefully that kind of thing is only in the movies.  But I've seen some movies from other countries that express the same sentiment, mainly every kung fu movie ever made:D

15 hours ago, steve454 said:

You mean, US movie style, right?  Hopefully that kind of thing is only in the movies.  But I've seen some movies from other countries that express the same sentiment, mainly every kung fu movie ever made:D

Of course, Hollywood super hero style! Too much influence on me...but not into guns at all.

I appreciate the solidarity this topic has surfaced. It's not the first as the forum has numerous examples of cooperation with regard to electronics, mechanics, purchases, legislation and injuries. I'm thankful to be part of this community and even when I'm frustrated I can't provide direct assistance I can at least contribute to brainstorming and encouragement.

On ‎13‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 0:16 AM, Pingouin said:

Hi, I live in a french city unfortunately, I don't know if it's only a feeling, but I find french people to be very rude in general (I lived in the US for a while and never had an issue), the best way to avoid trouble is to be stealthy but the EUC ain't the best way to do that.

I don't know maybe it only happens to me that's why I'm asking other riders, but I don't think it's very common.. (maybe it's because I'm a foreigner + young + small)

I was last year in September in Paris for the PLEV Workshop and had my MSuper with me. I had fun sightseeing Paris in the evening/ travelling to the after meeting talk in the pub. Used bicycle/ Bus/ Taxi lane (doing this is some kind of killing yourself - the french style to drive it's like in war on street ;) )and in some very rare occasions I used the pavement with pedestrian speed, tried to have a good distance to the pedestrians. We need to participate as gently as possible to the others on the pavement/ street.

But reading the sentences in this thread shows the missing respect to other people and "happiness" to see people failing. That's result of missing decent education, socially responsible values such as respect, mutual consent and tolerance.

• 2 weeks later...

More then aggressive... I have to ride in road on alot of occasions and at night, you get horns blown at you right as they pass even on sidewalk, or you can tell the ones that want to hit you, they cross the solid painting lines on road, too close... By law they need to stay a meter away of all bikes so now I carry those glassfiber stick with reflective tape for 'road' edges' and stick it straight out to the side, or if I am crossing intersection, wave it out straight front of me....

Just make sure the damn pole is never pointing to your body, if one of the Assholes actually strike the stick, it could impel you...

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2017 at 11:13 AM, Rehab1 said:

This is something between hilarious and completely awesome!

I live in a pretty nice little town in many ways, but they make and do a LOT of meth around here, and we are being invaded by lots and lots of homeless.  I myself have wondered about what I would do if charged or confronted by a bunch of meth-heads around here.  I've never seen an EUC around here, and I would stand out like a sore thumb with one.  Plus they tend to look both pricey and fun ... very tempting I bet ..

Don't worry. Once you're half way proficient, the crackheads and homeless wont be able to catch you. You can talk shit when you roll by even. "Hey buddy. Yeah you, fuck you man!" while swerving just out of arm's reach. 

In my experience the homeless mostly react positively to my EUC, especially the mentally ill. They do a little jig and tip their hat at me and say wow and sometimes they jangle their shopping carts and say "Wanna trade? Ha ha hah" or something like that.

Clark's 3rd law

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

with that being said we humans are primitive creatures afraid of what we can't understand so that might be what inspired this aggression. It's no excuse just me trying to rationalize.

I've only gotten positive remarks so far with only one exception of a guy jumping out in front of me to test my response time (i heard the idiot tell his friends as i was getting away)  

6 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

Clark's 3rd law

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

with that being said we humans are primitive creatures afraid of what we can't understand so that might be what inspired this aggression. It's no excuse just me trying to rationalize.

I've only gotten positive remarks so far with only one exception of a guy jumping out in front of me to test my response time (i heard the idiot tell his friends as i was getting away)  

In any crowd there's always "that one guy."  Always.

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, Rehab1 said:

Does no one else see how terrible an idea this is?  Surely this was posted as a joke.  If not, it's the most depressing thing I have seen on the forum.  Riding an EUC (a device designed to bring freedom and fun and joy to people) with a device attached to it that's designed to bring pain, suffering and death to people is a very sad state of affairs. 

Hi,

I personaly don't see the device as designed to bring pain, suffering and death, it's the people, sick people who do that, there are much more murders done with knives than with guns, and before humanity had guns, they still killed each other, and we are protected by people with guns, not just people with words (sad reality). It's not a good idea regarding the laws in some coutries that's true, because you would quickly get arrested, I think in the UK it would get you straight to jail as pistols are banned.

A thing with this picture that is funny, is that I would rather have that pistol as a conceal carry than flashy on the side of the inmotion, because if a guy makes you fall, the gun is pretty much useless :D

On 13/03/2017 at 7:13 PM, Rehab1 said:

The other day, I was riding along, there was a truck parked on my right side, when I passed next to it, the guy inside sreamed to try to make me fall, another stupid move...I wonder what would have happened if I really had fallen...did he think he would go away with it ? I would have called the police on him, with a dozens of witnesses...that is what makes me sad, some peoples mentality.

Archived