In the news...

Circuitmage

• 1 month later...

A provincial paper, writing about something dull, included a human-interest bio of the mastermind behind it...

[H]e also loves scooters and often is seen zipping around campus on a one-wheeled electric version.... "I’m an avid scooter rider, but in an unconventional way. I’ve been riding for four or five years now, like unicycle-style scooters that are electric-powered. People point at me on campus. I remember one time somebody said, “I think I’ve just seen the future.” That was pretty hilarious."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/07/29/self-driving-scooter-university-maryland/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I have this video playing in my head...

An EUC rider cruising up alongside a pizza delivery robot, forcing the cover open, collecting everything inside (for the group ride) and then rolling away!

:roflmao:

You should be flogged. This is simply the best reason to own an euc that I've ever heard. :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So on my way into work today I heard on the news that there will be a several new additions to our UK 'Highway Code'. One of them is a new, suggestively named 'Pegasus' road crossing. Similar to all our other zebra crossings, but the button to activate the lights is placed 7 feet high. Why? Yep, you guessed it - for horse riders. Glad to see the UK is embracing modern technology...I guess PEV legislation will have to wait.

Oh and the other one is some new illuminated cross/don't cross lights. Where we used to have a green image depicting a person walking to mean 'cross' and a red image of a person static depicting 'don't cross', we now have green and red same sex symbols. This is in order to show 'Transport for London's support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans diversity. The solitary 'green man' who has been featured on UK traffic lights since 1969 has now been joined by a male partner or replaced with two green women holding hands'.

Nowt as queer as folk, as they say over here :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Planemo said:

So on my way into work today I heard on the news that there will be a several new additions to our UK 'Highway Code'. One of them is a new, suggestively named 'Pegasus' road crossing. Similar to all our other zebra crossings, but the button to activate the lights is placed 7 feet high. Why? Yep, you guessed it - for horse riders. Glad to see the UK is embracing modern technology...I guess PEV legislation will have to wait.

Oh and the other one is some new illuminated cross/don't cross lights. Where we used to have a green image depicting a person walking to mean 'cross' and a red image of a person static depicting 'don't cross', we now have green and red same sex symbols. This is in order to show 'Transport for London's support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans diversity. The solitary 'green man' who has been featured on UK traffic lights since 1969 has now been joined by a male partner or replaced with two green women holding hands'.

Nowt as queer as folk, as they say over here :)

They should have issued registered horse riders, a small stick, saved some $$. This entire embrace of confusion over gender is sickening. Am I so out of touch that i simply dont realize that gay is the majority? Damn, when did a stick figure become a problem worthy of spending tax $$ to fix? Personally, I've been offended by the male stick figure forever. Where are those of us with stick and berries supposed to walk and pee? All I see is a eunuch...:unsure:

IN other news... The workers in my neighborhood are still using 'men at work' signs by the side of the road. I just passed a crew cutting trees like a boss on a HUGE lift. There may have been ladies working too, but i bet they are long since over being concerned about the wording on a sign. I bet they are just happy theres a sign with intent to keep them safer... Words of wisdom... Don't pick a fight with a lady who spends all day working along side rednecks while handling equipment and dangerous activities. She will stomp your ass, and her male cohorts will enjoy watching it. I'm not sexist, big men or women can beat me to a pulp.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

They shuold have issued registered horse riders, a small stick, saved some $$.

Indeed! Oh look... a small stick...a horse whip! How on earth all these horse riders managed to cross roads before our expensive new Pegasus crossings is beyond me. Thankfully someone who needed to justify their job found a solution! Hallelujah! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Don't pick a fight with a lady who spends all day working along side rednecks while handling equipment and dangerous activities. She will stomp your ass, and her male cohorts will enjoy watching it. I'm not sexist, big men or women can beat me to a pulp.

Video, or it never happened!!!   :popcorn:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

On 1/23/2022 at 7:58 AM, Planemo said:

we now have green and red same sex symbols. This is in order to show 'Transport for London's support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans diversity. The solitary 'green man' who has been featured on UK traffic lights since 1969 has now been joined by a male partner or replaced with two green women holding hands'.

Just half an hour ago some people on reddit tried to mock me for complaining about having gay- and transshit shoved down my throat in public 24/7...

• Sad 1

they do it on purpose,

like the commercials are all black man/white woman couple because white males are too effeminate now and if there is a white man/husband in a commercial, hes a total moron.

Dont let it get to you, just look at what its done to the USA and thank god you dont live there

actually thats not fair

even here in Canada when i left the country side and came to the "big city" i was shocked at how limp guys handshakes were , felt like i was going to break their hand so i just quit shaking hands with them

then i was considered rude until covid showed up and it was no longer an issue, when that idiotic elbow bump showed up, i was back to being considered rude

atleast China is doing something about it

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/china-proposes-teaching-masculinity-boys-state-alarmed-changing-gender-roles-n1258939

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can't say I'm happy with the projections for the UK. Seems we won't have legal privately owned micro mobility until around July 2023, and even then it doesn't mention EUC, e-boards or anything else, only e-scooters and, later, modifications to e-bike and e-moped laws.

Further, registration plates will need to be displayed, as will a VIN number. Oh and I suspect that only 'officially certified' products will be legal.

Roadmap info:

micro-mobility_roadmap_summary_a4_8pp.pdf (warwick.ac.uk)

Interesting read, it has potential, hopefully one study of probably many. I personally think the longer its kicked down the road the better for EUC riders in the UK. I can see a worst case scenario future of no EUC's or severely limited Max speed 15.5Mph. Anything higher will be banned from UK sale. The UK does love to makes it laws overly complicated though. 

I'm not sure it has what I would call potential tbh. The only saving grace is that it's clear privately owned escooters WILL be made legal in around a year. But with all the red tape as mentioned.

Given this amount of red tape, I honestly don't think EUC's will ever be legal. They already mention (in the longer 15 page paper - available via a link within the above paper) 'handlebars' as a likely requirement for any PEV, as well as mechanical brakes.

It will all come down to whether the average bobby will be bothered to stop an EUC rider (assuming not riding like an idiot) when escooters are legal. I can only hope we are just largely ignored. You can bet that some traffic officers will have a go though, just to make a point.

I don't think they can ever ban the sale, given pretty much anything can be ridden/driven on private land.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 9:56 PM, Planemo said:

I don't think they can ever ban the sale, given pretty much anything can be ridden/driven on private land.

Reading from this article it looks like a possibility the government would like to have...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61250302

But as you say may not make it through.

I think the report is just that; a report. I'm sure they don't just look at one and run with it. But maybe they do. 

Edited by The Brahan Seer
The potential is for vehicles with greater mass and power. But probably down the track.

• 4 weeks later...