Paging Dr. Rehab1, another rider down!

dmethvin

I've had my ACL (same knee) replaced twice.   The doctors are a mixed bag when it comes to those ACL braces.   Some say they work, some not.  This is talking with several top orthos (they are renowned in sports med).    But most of the good ones have a guarantee (if you tear an ACL while wearing one they pay $1000 of your deductable).  I have one after my most recent ACL surgery (I just got it b/c my insurance deductible was maxed and was recommended too by the PT... just in case), but I never wear it and wouldn't really trust it or want to ride with it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder whether the bulk might interfere with riding an EUC, but it sounds like some people recommend wearing them for sports.

https://www.betterbraces.com/blog/why-you-should-wear-a-knee-brace-when-playing-sports/

wrap em with those belly wraps i just showed u. my father played football and he’d talk about taping his ankles before a game. i’m sure some spors doctor in other activities might have good suggestions. i used the knee brace like a cast to keep me from re-injuring my knee, so my body could do what God designed it to.

Sweat off some fat while ur at it.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

It just might have protected him. You just added to my long protective gear list....helmet...knee brace, knee pads, elbow brace, elbow pads, wrist guards, cervical collar, shoulder pads....  2 hours donning the stuff and sweating my ass off. :)

:roflmao: I think astronauts spend less time suiting up.  I've actually been known to walk rather than wheel, because a short trip takes as long once you factor in suiting up and suiting down. Did it today actually, but the snow and slush added an extra "f.. it" factor.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

:roflmao: I think astronauts spend less time suiting up.  I've actually been known to walk rather than wheel, because a short trip takes as long once you factor in suiting up and suiting down. Did it today actually, but the snow and slush added an extra "f.. it" factor.

you obviously don't live on a hill/cliff... walking uphill near mine takes about 10~15 minutes for 500 meters... Always worth wheeling!

16 hours ago, Smoother said:

@gr8ps details?

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Sorry about your tibial fracture. Hopefully your recovery is progressing well.  Did your orthopedist immobilize your knee? 

I'm a new rider that got cocky. Friend was in front of my going downhill on a rocky unfinished path with these little fissures. I was too close to him so I stopped and dismounted. I decided to try and mount the wheel while going down hill and the wheel went into one of those small fissures. I was down and rolling in pain before I knew what happened. It was a low speed, maybe 2-3 mph fall onto a rock. 

Probably the most intense pain I've experienced in recent memory.

Orthopedist gave me a brace that I wore for about two weeks....and then I've kinda not used them after that and just used crutches. Week 5 and I'm limping around for the shorter distances. I know, I know.  I figured if it was really bad he'd give me a cast. I'm a horrible patient. Did I mention I didn't go to the doctor until after a week had passed?

My impression that I got from him after the MRI was that everything was still in place and he told me I got lucky. He said surgery wasn't necessary and that it would pretty much take me falling on it in a similar fashion for me to require surgery.  

6 hours ago, gr8ps said:

Orthopedist gave me a brace that I wore for about two weeks....and then I've kinda not used them after that and just used crutches. Week 5 and I'm limping around for the shorter distances. I know, I know.  I figured if it was really bad he'd give me a cast. I'm a horrible patient. Did I mention I didn't go to the doctor until after a week had passed?

You should probably have a return visit to ortho for  another X-ray. Didn’t they give you a follow up? Your pain should have subsided by now where your not limping. If you not immobilizing your leg the fracture will not heal. At least wear you brace. 

12 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

I have one after my most recent ACL surgery (I just got it b/c my insurance deductible was maxed and was recommended too by the PT... just in case), but I never wear it and wouldn't really trust it or want to ride with it.

If your PT and physician recommend wearing the brace it would be prudent to wear it until they say other wise. Braces do provide adequate mediolateral and rotational stabilty. Professional athletes wear them all of the time. If NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB orthopedists trust knee braces to protect their multimillion dollar players...they work!

Maybe take your wheel along to your next PT visit so the therapist has an appreciation of the stresses you put on your knee while riding. 

10 hours ago, Smoother said:

We I finally get the :thumbup: from ortho I plan to ride with XTech shoulder pads along with elbow, wrist and knee pads. The helmet is a given. I want to be able to jump off a wheel and roll without getting banged up. 

8 hours ago, gr8ps said:

decided to try and mount the wheel while going down hill and the wheel went into one of those small fissures.

To be fair, mounting downhill is very difficult, fissure or no fissure.  When mounting on a slope I try to start cross hill, then turn in my desired direction, once underway.  Just curious, were you wearing knee pads?  I'm assuming not.  My take on this is you were not cocky for trying to mount downhill, but because you were not wearing knee protection.  Confession, I sometimes rode without them, but I almost always wear them now, almost.  Thanks for the warning.

8 hours ago, gr8ps said:

It was a low speed, maybe 2-3 mph fall onto a rock. 

And this is a lesson to all of us, especially the "Gotway speed is dangerous" crowd, that we don't need to be going fast to break bones, and create serious pain.

Here's an update, went to the ortho yesterday. He did x-rays and they showed no breaks, cracks , or chips. Possibly a bone bruise? (I didn't even know bones could get bruised.) I got a knee brace similar to the ones Hunka linked to but am still using the crutches because bearing full weight on the knee isn't comfortable. Last night I got an MRI and am waiting for the radiologist to read it so I can head back to the ortho next week. Currently he's thinking MCL strain but the MRI will tell a fuller picture.

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

We I finally get the :thumbup: from ortho I plan to ride with XTech shoulder pads along with elbow, wrist and knee pads. The helmet is a given. I want to be able to jump off a wheel and roll without getting banged up. 

You do realize that no amount of shoulder pads would have prevented your humerus (but not funny at all) break. 

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I want to be able to jump off a wheel and roll without getting banged up. 

And I believe that trying to roll is what caused you to smash your elbow into the ground which transferred all the force to your humerus head.  I'm a firm believer in sliding these face plants out.  Spread your arms like a cat and spread the impact load across the entire front of your body (but preferably not your face).  By all means, runn them off at lower speeds, but if your feet don't get under you, this is the next best bet.....

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

You do realize that no amount of shoulder pads would have prevented your humerus (but not funny at all) break. 

Yes but I think I would have attempted a different departure from the wheel than just going down with the ship. The spiked pedals were also a big contributor to the magnitude of the injury. 

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I'm a firm believer in sliding these face plants out.  Spread your arms like a cat and spread the impact 

It is my belief an actual faceplant would have resulted in far less injuries. My unique gymnastic dismount was more of a twisting sideplant. 

4 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Here's an update, went to the ortho yesterday. He did x-rays and they showed no breaks, cracks , or chips. Possibly a bone bruise? (I didn't even know bones could get bruised.) I got a knee brace similar to the ones Hunka linked to but am still using the crutches because bearing full weight on the knee isn't comfortable. Last night I got an MRI and am waiting for the radiologist to read it so I can head back to the ortho next week. Currently he's thinking MCL strain but the MRI will tell a fuller picture.

That is great news so far. Unfortunately xrays do not detect soft tissue injuries. I pray it is just a bruised bone. Keep up the ice, ibuprofen and please wear the brace!

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

The spiked pedals were also a big contributor to the magnitude of the injury. 

Did you sell the spiked pedals on with "Christine" or have you destroyed them?

31 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Did you sell the spiked pedals on with "Christine" or have you destroyed them?

Nope I still have them. They actually might  come in handy in the spring to de-thatch my lawn. 

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Nope I still have them. They actually might  come in handy in the spring to de-thatch my lawn. 

Ha ha... or put one on a short stick and you've got yourself a Gotway back scratcher! 

42 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Ha ha... or put one on a short stick and you've got yourself a Gotway back scratcher! 

Funny! :laughbounce2: Now you know I’ve got to try this! Add a few scratches and blood and I’m up for the forum’s special effects award.  :)

12 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Ha Ha!  You could strap them to your shoes spike side down and aerate the lawn.  Every day walk a different section.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another update. On Friday I just got back from a trip to the west coast for a conference, and wasn't really feeling that bad. Going back to the ortho on Tuesday. Here's what the radiologist says about the MRI, sounds like total carnage in there so I'll definitely need surgery.

Complete ACL tear. Severe grade 2 partial tear of the MCL proximally.

Possible tear of the popliteal fibular ligament, which would indicate a high-grade posterolateral corner injury.  Complex tearing of the posterior horn and body of the lateral meniscus, as detailed above. Probable peripheral, oblique corner tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. Transchondral impaction injuries at the lateral femoral condyle and posterior lateral tibial plateau.

Extensive soft tissue edema about the knee, indicating capsular injury, as well as partial tears of the lateral head of the gastrocnemius muscle and distal vastus lateralis muscle bellies.

13 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Well, another update. On Friday I just got back from a trip to the west coast for a conference, and wasn't really feeling that bad. Going back to the ortho on Tuesday. Here's what the radiologist says about the MRI, sounds like total carnage in there so I'll definitely need surgery.

Oh shit! You are definately going under the knife. Sorry buddy. Best to find out now before you damage your knee anymore! :(

:blink:  Oh man, when the radiologists write a short novel with lots of words you've never heard before that isn't good.  

I am seriously thinking of buying a set of these to wear while riding:

https://www.betterbraces.com/donjoy-performance-bionic-fullstop-knee-brace

@Rehab1 are there any less expensive ones available?  Two would be $500 USD or $642 CAD, but it would be worth it if they can help avoid knee injuries.

I got a relatively cheap knee brace to keep the knee together for now and I'm doing exercises to stretch out the ligaments before surgery. I think it was $35 from the orthopedist. It's kind of like this one with the hinges on the side. There are non-hinged ones that are mainly to keep your kneecap in place, my daughter has used that one due to a field hockey accident, but I don't think those help much with ligament issues.

Is it sad that I'm already thinking about how long it will take to recover before I can ride again?  I think it's likely to be 6 months or more though. I will definitely wear the brace as extra insurance and may buy another one for the other leg.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  Oh man, when the radiologists write a short novel with lots of words you've never heard before that isn't good.  

I am seriously thinking of buying a set of these to wear while riding:

https://www.betterbraces.com/donjoy-performance-bionic-fullstop-knee-brace

@Rehab1 are there any less expensive ones available?  Two would be $500 USD or $642 CAD, but it would be worth it if they can help avoid knee injuries.

i think i went to dick’s sporting goods. cheaper than that. open patella and hinge with top a bottom straps. it worked for me. mine looks just like that one. i’d go and try some on.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm new to this sport, but maybe it's time I stop thinking about it as a sport, and more like a conservative game of "See how long you can enjoy this without putting yourself in the hospital."

I deal with depression as a mood disorder. If I was laid up for 6 months it would be a real struggle to stave off a major depression episode.

Good luck with your recovery. Maybe some intense upper body aerobic exercise like a boxing speed bag or something will help keep your mind in a good place.

Archived