Paging Dr. Rehab1, another rider down!

dmethvin

Although I've fallen several times over the past 3 years I've been riding, I've managed to avoid serious injury except for road rash. That leaves a mark but otherwise leave you fully functional.

Today was a wonderful day for a ride so I decided to go for a long loop around the area from my place down the Rock Creek Park. While on one of the trails I wasn't going any faster than 8mph at the time and probably slower when I hit a bump from a tree root during a turn. Usually I can easily run these off but this time the wheel was a little bit turned so when my foot came down it was turned inwards. I could feel my right knee separate and with that I buckled and fell down to the ground. No scrapes, no visible signs of injury, almost full motion of the joint, not even a lot of pain, but I couldn't put any weight on my knee; I could feel the joint try to slide off to the right when I tried to walk. 

Using the KS14C as a crutch, I backtracked on the trail for about 500 feet until it met a street, and called an Uber. Fortunately the driver was very helpful and carried my EUC to the house plus helped me to the front door. Honestly I'm surprised how little it hurts, there's some swelling but I've taken Motrin and am using cold compresses to reduce the swelling. 

I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow morning, in the meantime I'm hobbling around the house using my rolling office chair. I suspect it's a pretty serious tear so no doubt several months of rehab. The good news I think is that knee ligament injuries are pretty well understood since they're common in sports. Of course I'm getting ready for my wife to arrive this evening and tell me "I told you so." Now that's gonna hurt.

Here's my path, it was really a wonderful ride. I'll see what the doc says about being able to ride again, but I'm still game. Be careful out there!

PhpOTJl.png 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Today was a wonderful day for a ride so I decided to go for a long loop around the area from my place down the Rock Creek Park. While on one of the trails I wasn't going any faster than 8mph at the time and probably slower when I hit a bump from a tree root during a turn. Usually I can easily run these off but this time the wheel was a little bit turned so when my foot came down it was turned inwards. I could feel my right knee separate and with that I buckled and fell down to the ground. No scrapes, no visible signs of injury, almost full motion of the joint, not even a lot of pain, but I couldn't put any weight on my knee; I could feel the joint try to slide off to the right when I tried to walk. 

Ugh! Sorry buddy. So glad you are seeing ortho tomorrow. That was fast. Get ready for an MRI. Make sure  he/she specializes in knees. Sports medicine comes to mind. I have known orthopedists that operate on every extremity like a assembly line but have never become exceptionally skilled in just one specific joint. That is why orthopedics is broken up into sub-specialties.

Do you have an ace wrap/ bandage? If not maybe someone can run down to the drugstore tonight and pick two of them up. Get the 5 or 6” width. Once you have the ace wrap  spiral it around your leg  10 “ above and below your knee. Not too tight. Now find some long magazines and place one on the front and back of your knee. You will need an assistant. Wrap the second ace bandage and spiral it around the magazines snugly. . This will at least immobilize your knee until tomorrow. 

Best wishes!

Dan

Edit: If your not walking just keep your leg elevated and continue with the ice treatment and Motrin.  

Sorry to hear about your accident!  I'm surprised you have no pain from it.   Perhaps adrenaline is preventing it and you will start feeling it soon!  I've had a serious tear of a calf muscle playing racquetball and it wasn't very painful either so it isn't unheard of I guess.     

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Of course I'm getting ready for my wife to arrive this evening and tell me "I told you so." Now that's gonna hurt.

Sorry for your injury and upcoming recuperation.  But I had to laugh when I read the above sentence.  Like I posted once, there are 1,000 ways to come of an EUC.  I think yours was number 632. :(

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Sorry for your injury and upcoming recuperation.  But I had to laugh when I read the above sentence.  Like I posted once, there are 1,000 ways to come of an EUC.  I think yours was number 632. :(

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Of course I'm getting ready for my wife to arrive this evening and tell me "I told you so." Now that's gonna hurt.

It’s a hurt locker when your spouse rubs it in. If that is the extent of your wife’s displeasure you’ve got it made. Buy her a card and flowers or take her out to dinner and a movie. I myself have fabricate a titanium cup to protect my precious jewels. :cry2:

i hate to hear that. in hindsight from my long investigation into this activity and forum, i got a lot of advice, mostly worthless looking backwards, sorry, but somebody said, and it reminded me of what my cowboy father told me about horseback riding. i had a horse that wouldn’t whoa, so my father told me, take that horse to the cowpens, cluck and head him towards the end of the cowpens, when u get close to the end, say whoa and pull back on the reins. i asked, what if he just turns sideways and slams me into the pens, he said, “if u can’t get off a horse without getting hurt, u shouldn’t get on a horse”. one of the forum members suggested practicing falling off/running off, and that reminded me of my father and good advice. 

for me, and trust me, i’m hardly an experienced rider, i can ride a little, pavement is no big deal, still need to practice mounting, can’t do that at all because i’m not trying, but i can ride out here on my road fairly well. i go slow and i don’t get the enjoyment the way many do on the forum, kinda boring, but i’m looking for coyotes and trespassers. what is fun for me, is falling off in my pasture. three times tn! i laugh. it’s the only part that puts a smile on my face. i hit those cow turds and hidden holes, idk even why i fall over but i know i’m going down, but to me that’s big fun. 

i know u have probably practice falling a lot too, and i’m not saying u did anything wrong, i just wanted to share this with u. my thumb from overextending it a couple of days ago isn’t hurting anymore. my father would have told u, walk it off, that was his cure for everything. i tore the ligaments on the inside of my left knee when i was 19 on my dirt bike. 6 weeks in a big cast and i couldn’t even predict rain with it now. i’d be so screwed if that happened to me now. i climb up a ladder and down another ladder getting into mine and Bob’s compound. hard to be hurt camping out in the woods. God Bless. i’m sure u will heal great. if it’s legal, get some cannabis oil, not cdb oil, u will heal better.

Damn unfortunate unlucky foot position the cause your knee to buckle. I've had my knees dislocate 4 times in my life with the last one just happening when I attempted to make a 180 degree turn walking. . Hopefully you just sprained your knee rather than tear any ligaments.

Oh man :blink: that's awful to hear about another forum member down.  This hobby can be more dangerous than football or hockey at times.  It seems even though we're wearing more and more protection, injuries are unavoidable sooner or later.  

I still remember seeing your high speed crash video way back when on the sidewalk even before noticing it was you on the forums, @dmethvin.  You were flying down a sidewalk and must have hit the BMS cutoff.  I can't seem to find the video any more.

I'm starting to think this may not be a sport for the feint of heart or weak of limb.  If veteran riders are getting hurt this badly, the risk level needs to be kept in mind and understood clearer as things can go from good to bad in a split of a wheel rotation.  Maybe ankle support wrap before riding might be a consideration for some?  I'm not sure whether we can fully reduce the risk of injury to life and limb other than abstaining from the sport.  It unforunately seems to be an ever present downside that can't be predicted.

Hopefully things will heal up well.  I'm starting to wonder whether I should be rolling around on these things as I don't think I could afford to be sidelined for any period of time.  When you start thinking it can't happen to me, that's when you should know you're in trouble.

8 hours ago, gr8ps said:

Welcome to the club!

I got a knee injury about 5 weeks ago. Still can't walk.

@gr8ps details?

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love A "friend" was walking through a park in Barcelona when she tripped on a raised manhole cover.  She went down like a sack of potatoes thrown off a truck.  Scuffed knees badly scuffed, and bleeding palms, with embedded gravel.  Years ago another female acquaintance got her heel caught in the hem of her dress, same sack of potatoes routine.  Another female friend was putting air in her bike tire at a gas station when some idiot in a car partially backed over her.  What am I saying?  Women are cluts's.  No, no. I'm saying life is dangerous, injuries lie around every corner.  The best we can do is limit the risks in our chosen activities, and be careful.  If someone gives up EUCs and buys an electric bike, who's to say they don't go under the wheels of a truck making a right turn? You keep riding, but be aware that speed multiplies the risk of injury, when you're riding that lovely death machine Tesla. :D

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

ankle support wrap 

u saw what i did/do. cost $5 each at walmart. neoprene belly wrap. when i start practicing mounting, i’ll be wearing these for sure.

C047BF87-A00A-44C4-9CFC-83DF128BFD1D.thumb.jpeg.34e1265034d6b9f22299c1deb309dca8.jpeg

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

awful to hear about another forum member down.  This hobby can be more dangerous than football or hockey at times.  It seems even though we're wearing more and more protection, injuries are unavoidable sooner or late

i always say, that it is no question if you might fall.

Its only a question of time when this fall will happen, but i will....definitly. So we all must be prepared, unfortunatly!

14 hours ago, gr8ps said:

Welcome to the club!

I got a knee injury about 5 weeks ago. Still can't walk.

image.png.b17dd0ebfc346ba65fc93daf0d693685.png

Sorry about your tibial fracture. Hopefully your recovery is progressing well.  Did your orthopedist immobilize your knee? 

ya, the attrition rate of this transportation model might be greater than the attraction rate of new riders due to the learning curve. it would be interesting to see the stats of this forum of people entering and leaving.

Jeez, that made me wince just reading it. Really hope it’s a simple fix and quick recovery but doesn’t sound like it.

A knee injury is my worst nightmare, I’d be terrified it would curtail my skiing. 

10 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if any of these ACL Knee Braces are any good.

https://www.betterbraces.com/knee-injuries/acl-injury

That company does a killing. Yes acl braces definately have their purpose. If it is a tear the brace would be used post op. I have not heard anymore about @dmethvin ‘s diagnosis. @gr8ps definately has a tibial fx. 

6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

That company does a killing. Yes acl braces definately have their purpose. If it is a tear the brace would be used post op. I have not heard anymore about @dmethvin ‘s diagnosis. @gr8ps definately has a tibial fx. 

the good ones definitely work. i blew my knee out going low(a dance move) in new orleans for voodoofest 2014. spent like $100 at dick’s and wore it a couple of days, no more problems. since i don’t drink anymore, i no longer go low.

14 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder whether the bulk might interfere with riding an EUC, but it sounds like some people recommend wearing them for sports.

https://www.betterbraces.com/blog/why-you-should-wear-a-knee-brace-when-playing-sports/

I suppose the added bulk wouldn’t be much different than transitioning from a V8 to an ACM 1300/1600. When I first climbed on my ACM the added width really felt strange on my legs.  Most of the new high tech knee braces are constructed of titanium and carbon fiber. Very streamlined. 

I suppose the big question is whether people would be willing or interested in wearing a knee brace preventatively to avoid ACL accidents?  They likely can't help avoid tibial plateau fractures (?), but maybe if Dmethvin was wearing one this thread wouldn't exist?  Difficult to say.  I guess it depends on how common knee injuries occur during riding.  Say if they happen only once in 200 rides, is it worth avoiding knee surgery and being sidelined by simply wearing a brace 100% of the time?   It's kind of like the pros and cons of wearing helmets.  How often do you crash on your head, and does the inconvenience of wearing a helmet outweigh the possible need for brain surgery or living with a brain injury?

12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I suppose the big question is whether people would be willing or interested in wearing a knee brace preventatively to avoid ACL accidents?  They likely can't help avoid tibial plateau fractures (?), but maybe if Dmethvin was wearing one this thread wouldn't exist?  Difficult to say.  I guess it depends on how common knee injuries occur during riding.  Say if they happen only once in 200 rides, is it worth avoiding knee surgery and being sidelined by simply wearing a brace 100% of the time?   It's kind of like the pros and cons of wearing helmets.  How often do you crash on your head, and does the inconvenience of wearing a helmet outweigh the possible need for brain surgery or living with a brain injury?

It just might have protected him. You just added to my long protective gear list....helmet...knee brace, knee pads, elbow brace, elbow pads, wrist guards, cervical collar, shoulder pads....  2 hours donning the stuff and sweating my ass off. :)

Archived