My Tesla Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

dry eye problems

???  My problem, especially in the cold is teary eyes.

I'd also like to revise a previous statement about your chin guard.  At potential Tesla speeds those magnets will pop that chin "guard" off in an instant.  I'm worried that this helmet might lull you into a false sense of security, that might be detrimental to your rugged good looks ;)

I wonder what would happen if you held it firmly on the edge of a desk, so the chin guard is floating off the edge, and gave the guard a good whack with the palm of your hand.  Will it stay in place or detach and move backwards into where your face would be?

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still wearing a bike helmet but if I get a faster wheel I'll be looking for something safer. The teary and dry eye problem happens to me too. This morning it was 18 degrees F outside and I had to go down to a trail cleanup event, it was brutal and I had my gloved hands in front of my face (gotta get that balaclava today). 

6 hours ago, Smoother said:

???  My problem, especially in the cold is teary eyes.

I'd also like to revise a previous statement about your chin guard.  At potential Tesla speeds those magnets will pop that chin "guard" off in an instant.  I'm worried that this helmet might lull you into a false sense of security, that might be detrimental to your rugged good looks ;)

I wonder what would happen if you held it firmly on the edge of a desk, so the chin guard is floating off the edge, and gave the guard a good whack with the palm of your hand.  Will it stay in place or detach and move backwards into where your face would be?

The magnetics only function is to help you guide the chin guard to the mounting points (since you can't see anything when the helmet is on). The guard actually snaps into the helmet very securely.

It's impossible to remove the chin guard without depressing a lock on each side of the helmet.

Your palm test would utterly fail :P Nice try though.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Your palm test would utterly fail :P Nice try though.

What? Afraid to try it?  How could it hurt?  At least you'd know.  I've read that many of the convertable motorcyce helmets open on impact even though it doesn't feel like they could, and they're not supposed to.  Go on try it.;)

12 minutes ago, Cannings said:

I am getting chapped lips from the inhumanely cold wind as i'm heading in in the mornings at the moment

Chapstick? Vaseline? lard?  OK, maybe not lard, but it would work in a pinch :D

I actually tried to buy some Chapstick type stuff the other day at the supermarket.  Couldn't find it.  Will try pharmacy or pound/dollar store sometime.

Just now, Smoother said:

I actually tried to buy some Chapstick type stuff the other day at the supermarket.  Couldn't find it.  Will try pharmacy or pound/dollar store sometime.

Yeah i've got some just I leave at 6am so am still half asleep then i get halfway down the road and think shit!

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

instructions unclear...

the control board doesnt work with chapstick on it

should i try lipstick? shouldnt that give it a more feminine feel? 

5 hours ago, Cannings said:

Yeah i've got some just I leave at 6am so am still half asleep then i get halfway down the road and think shit!

Do you have any pockets on your ride outfit?  Put it in there now. You're welcome.;)

Took my first big fall with the Tesla. I wasn't careful enough and hit a hole in a sand road at 30 km/h by my own estimate. Had my safety gear on (G-Form pads on elbows, knees, shorts, shirt), however I think the left knee pad had moved slightly to the side. Very minor scratch in left palm and a minor wound in left knee, nothing strained or bruised.

Tesla's plastic middle ring came off with a few pieces of plastic flying, and it blew a MOSFET with very visible burn damage and one of the MOSFETs cracked.

Luckily I have a spare motherboard, we'll see what I can do about repairing the plastic casing. Damage to self was very minor and I have my safety gear as well as good falling habits (rolling to the side) to thank for that. Material damage was much greater what with the MOSFET, plastic casing, a few holes in my gloves and backpack and ripped jeans.

Hopefully I can get it up and running soonish, will use the Ninebot until then even though it feels like a toy. :)

that's crazy it blew a mosfet, makes me wonder how hard it is to to push the wheel on hills until it blows one. I know i have ridden what i call derserving of blowing a mosfet but it has had no issues at all. Maybe do you think a wire or something shorted out during impact to blow your main board?

44 minutes ago, Flow said:

and it blew a MOSFET with very visible burn damage and one of the MOSFETs cracked.

So, what came first, after the hole, a fall or a blown MOSfet, which then created the fall?  I ask, because a fall rarely leads to a blown MOSFET, but a blown MOSFET ALWAYS leads to a fall (at speed anyway).  I'm reminded of that recent video where some poor guy in Asia as zooming along on his Crashla  Tesla , and when he hits that tiny dip, the motor goes dead.and he goes flying.

40 minutes ago, Bryan Wells said:

that's crazy it blew a mosfet, makes me wonder how hard it is to to push the wheel on hills until it blows one. I know i have ridden what i call derserving of blowing a mosfet but it has had no issues at all. Maybe do you think a wire or something shorted out during impact to blow your main board?

even more evidence that i shouldnt be hitting those 35 kph all the time..

i will do my best to stay out of bumpy terain with sudden stops and 

12 minutes ago, Smoother said:

So, what came first, after the hole, a fall or a blown MOSfet, which then created the fall?  I ask, because a fall rarely leads to a blown MOSFET, but a blown MOSFET ALWAYS leads to a fall (at speed anyway).  I'm reminded of that recent video where some poor guy in Asia as zooming along on his Crashla  Tesla , and when he hits that tiny dip, the motor goes dead.and he goes flying.

It was a decent hole, from memory it was 14 inches wide and 3 inches deep, as in the size that leaves no doubt in my mind that it was the hole that caused the fall. I don't have extensive knowledge of EUC inner workings but my first idea was that the wheel tried so hard to keep me upright after hitting the hole that it was just too much for the board.

At least I'd like to think that my EUC gave it's life trying to save mine. ^_^

1 minute ago, Flow said:

It was a decent hole, from memory it was 14 inches wide and 3 inches deep, as in the size that leaves no doubt in my mind that it was the hole that caused the fall. I don't have extensive knowledge of EUC inner workings but my first idea was that the wheel tried so hard to keep me upright after hitting the hole that it was just too much for the board.

i see its 3 inches deep then i am more understanding i was like little pot hole stopping a tesla whaa?

but 3 inches and 16 wide sounds pretty hard 

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Yet the coincidence of hitting the hole at the same time that the MOSFET blew would be extreme. It is disturbing to see that a crash could cause this. Then again, we don't have an objective view of the hole and the speed that the wheel hit it.

Every time I hit a good size bump when traveling fast I get a large spike in current (my Pebble watch buzzes). So if this was a large hole and he really was traveling fast, I can see a MOSFET blowing (with the current sucky Gotway design).

21 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Flow Didn't you just get your wheel repaired, after a looooooong wait? My condolences:efee8c29ce:

Mosfet blown is really strange. That shouldn't happen in this situation. Guess the board was a "bad" one (with shitty mosfets that blow on the first stress).

Nope. Hitting a large bump/hole at high speed generates a huge current spike (as I see on my Tesla when I hit bumps at speed). This instance looks like a severe hole was involved which could do it when the wheel is traveling very fast.

always slow down a bit when I see that I'm about to go over a large bump or dip. My Pebble watch gives me current spike feedback so now I'm attuned to what size bumps I need to avoid when going fast.

1 hour ago, Flow said:

Sorry to hear of your experience. As I've been writing in this post, I always get large current spikes when I hit big bumps when going fast. So I always slow down a bit before riding over them. Of course if you don't see the hole then you're screwed. :(

I have the (personal) suspicion that just a (to high) percentage of boards/mosfets from GW is bad in general...as mostly you hear of a mosfet blow or board defect on relativly new boards/wheels. No science behind that...just my observation.

I had hit HUGE potholes with my Tesla, too, and not the lightest guy also, and had no prob whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Flow said:

Took my first big fall with the Tesla. I wasn't careful enough and hit a hole in a sand road at 30 km/h by my own estimate. Had my safety gear on (G-Form pads on elbows, knees, shorts, shirt), however I think the left knee pad had moved slightly to the side. Very minor scratch in left palm and a minor wound in left knee, nothing strained or bruised.

I'm glad you are OK. It is interesting to hear about the Tesla but I'm even more interested in how the G-Form gear performed. 30kph is about my cruising speed on the V8 so your relatively minor injuries are good to hear. I believe you are the first G-Form EUC crash test dummy. May I ask if the knee and elbow pads were the Pro-X or the Elite variety? How did they hold up to the abraision of the fall? You mention jeans so I'm guessing all G-Form gear was worn under long sleeved/legged clothing and so were afforded some protection by your garments? What version of the shorts do you have?

When you think about it though, the tesla has SOOOO much motor torque and is told to have SUCH "perfect" aggressive pedal response that it probably did just try everything it possibly could to save you by peaking the output to a very very insane amount until failure, but this is what i'd rather have honesly, i want a wheel that tries as hard as possible to save my arse lol. I know my ks-18A failed at this because it has now blown 3 40 amp fuses trying to save me in situations it probably could have. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Sorry to hear of your experience. As I've been writing in this post, I always get large current spikes when I hit big bumps when going fast. So I always slow down a bit before riding over them. Of course if you don't see the hole then you're screwed. :(

Yeah sadly it was just getting dark enough that I couldn't see the road surface clearly. I usually drive slow and carefully whenever I can't see 100% clearly but for some reason this time was different. Just an unlucky accident.

24 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I'm glad you are OK. It is interesting to hear about the Tesla but I'm even more interested in how the G-Form gear performed. 30kph is about my cruising speed on the V8 so your relatively minor injuries are good to hear. I believe you are the first G-Form EUC crash test dummy. May I ask if the knee and elbow pads were the Pro-X or the Elite variety? How did they hold up to the abraision of the fall? You mention jeans so I'm guessing all G-Form gear was worn under long sleeved/legged clothing and so were afforded some protection by your garments? What version of the shorts do you have?

Yes, the G-Form gear was worn under outdoor clothes, i.e. jeans and a jacket. You're right that the gear was protected by the outer layer but I felt like it stood up to the test remarkably well. As noted, there were literally no scratches, bruises, strains or other damage anywhere except one of the palms, and more interestingly, the left knee. The knee pad had shifted to the side during the ride, and the surface hit the edge of the padding which was really unfortunate. Picture attached.

It's all Pro-X, I feel like the Elite Knee Guard would've prevented even the knee wound with it's wider padding. I might consider buying the Elite version instead of fixing the current knee pads.

PxBrWuk.jpg

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Nope. Hitting a large bump/hole at high speed generates a huge current spike (as I see on my Tesla when I hit bumps at speed). This instance looks like a severe hole was involved which could do it when the wheel is traveling very fast.

always slow down a bit when I see that I'm about to go over a large bump or dip. My Pebble watch gives me current spike feedback so now I'm attuned to what size bumps I need to avoid when going fast.

I put the cell phone in my left breast pocket so it feels like I'm having a heart attack every time I exceed current spikes. And hitting bumps at high speed I get a lot of heart attacks.

I strongly suggest all of you link your phone to WheelLog and then turn on current spike warnings because this will show you when your wheel gets stressed. I was quite surprised at when my own wheel would get stressed (consistent across all my wheels).

Interestingly, just by doing this, you'll start modifying your riding behavior so you don't get those heart attacks. For example, I have reduced my spikes across large bumps by simply "going neutral"; not bending knees, not going light, just by not forcing the wheel over the bump and letting it float across the bump on its own.

I have a lot of bad habits that I've gradually mollified by using WheelLog, and my range has also greatly extended.

17 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I put the cell phone in my left breast pocket so it feels like I'm having a heart attack every time I exceed current spikes. And hitting bumps at high speed I get a lot of heart attacks.

I strongly suggest all of you link your phone to WheelLog and then turn on current spike warnings because this will show you when your wheel gets stressed. I was quite surprised at when my own wheel would get stressed (consistent across all my wheels).

Interestingly, just by doing this, you'll start modifying your riding behavior so you don't get those heart attacks. For example, I have reduced my spikes across large bumps by simply "going neutral"; not bending knees, not going light, just by not forcing the wheel over the bump and letting it float across the bump on its own.

I have a lot of bad habits that I've gradually mollified by using WheelLog, and my range has also greatly extended.

Reading this makes me think that you're reading my mind ;) Exactly my thoughts except I use the Pebble watch  instead of the heart attack simulator.

Like you, I have since modified my riding behavior to avoid the 'heart attacks' as much as possible.

Archived