My Tesla Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I have the (personal) suspicion that just a (to high) percentage of boards/mosfets from GW is bad in general...as mostly you hear of a mosfet blow or board defect on relativly new boards/wheels. No science behind that...just my observation.

I had hit HUGE potholes with my Tesla, too, and not the lightest guy also, and had no prob whatsoever.

It's not the size of the pothole but instead the pothole size and the speed at which you hit it. Have you hit HUGE potholes while traveling at 30kph? Maybe you should add "used to hit HUGE potholes" in your Tesla For Sale advertisement in the Forum ;)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I strongly suggest all of you link your phone to WheelLog

Just one small problem there; I can't connect to my 16s with WheelLog, and obviously, my Pebble is no good either.  I was able to hook up to my 14c.  And briefly experienced voltage spike warnings, so I see the value.

What am I doing wrong?  Don't answer here, I'll start a new thread or add to a wheel log thread

47 minutes ago, Bryan Wells said:

i want a wheel that tries as hard as possible to save my arse

Using MOSFETs that burn under max load seems not the best way to fulfill this wish :efee6b18f3:

39 minutes ago, Bryan Wells said:

would you rather burn fuses when the wheel "could" have saved you?

No. I am highly skeptical about fuses on wheels, though there is some chance that they may only burn at very low speed, because this is when the highest currents can occur. This would be acceptable, IMHO.

Otherwise I see no reason to believe that the controller could not control the current in a way that no part of the wheel gets busted under whatever operating condition. Sure, it's relatively complex software after all, and hence expensive to get right, but it may save lives, of course in combination with adequately specified and reliable MOSFETs.

13 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

would you rather burn fuses when the wheel "could" have saved you?

The way I see it, when this much current is demanded in order to save an "oh shit" experience, the chance of saving it is slim to none. @Flow bit the dust anyway, but despite no serious injuries, he now has to carry his wheel back to civilization (EDIT, which could be miles, end edit) instead of carrying on his merry way; a double whammy.  And If he had serious injuries Wrist, knee, scapula), carrying a wheel that could have been trollied, might not be possible.

When I get off my face, after planting it, I like to wheel away from the embarrassing crash site, not make it worse by having to carry 14 to 30 Kg (insert your wheel's weight) of expensive paperweight.  I've blown out a handful of times on two KingSongs but I've never blown a fuse.

EDIT or a MOSFET either, for that matter

On 1/15/2018 at 1:48 AM, Marty Backe said:

As the saying goes, "you can't please everyone"  :)

This helmet sure is comfortable when riding fast.

Helmet or no helmet...you still have a nice smile! Sorry about the nose.;)

39735082391_24e2745be2_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Helmet or no helmet...you still have a nice smile! Sorry about the nose.;)

39735082391_24e2745be2_b.jpg

To hell with the nose, that's such a great smile :D :) :blink1:

6 hours ago, Flow said:

Yes, the G-Form gear was worn under outdoor clothes, i.e. jeans and a jacket. You're right that the gear was protected by the outer layer but I felt like it stood up to the test remarkably well. As noted, there were literally no scratches, bruises, strains or other damage anywhere except one of the palms, and more interestingly, the left knee. The knee pad had shifted to the side during the ride, and the surface hit the edge of the padding which was really unfortunate. Picture attached.

It's all Pro-X, I feel like the Elite Knee Guard would've prevented even the knee wound with it's wider padding. I might consider buying the Elite version instead of fixing the current knee pads.

PxBrWuk.jpg

I'm  glad you are pleased with the protection the gear offered in your fall. When I ordered mine I had both the Pro-X and Elite versions of the elbow pads (Elite didn't come in XS sizing I wanted to try). I was impressed with the Pro-X pads but the Elites clearly offered greater coverage for the bony parts of the side of the joint. Plus the pad was noticeably thicker and there was grip tape on the top and bottom of the fabric tube. This extra tape could have prevented the twisting you experienced that made your knee vulnerable. Otherwise I think you are right that the extra ring of padding the Elite pads offer might have saved your skin this time around. They are rated for motorcycle use after all. 

The only downside is that the thicker pad made the elbow marginally less comfortable if i bent my arm all the way in but when normally extended or bent less than 90 degrees it is not an issue. The Elite knee pads are very comfortable at all joint angles. If the Pro-X pads you have now are right consider going a size up for the Elites because of this but trying them on is the best option of you have a local stockist. 

Do you think the shirt and shorts saved you from injury this time? I have always been concerned about shoulder injury in a forward fall. 

Sorry about your fall and the Tesla damage. Glad the gear saved your skin. Hope things are fixed quickly. 

i have to change my profile photo from this mini pro soon to match up with my current 50 kph one wheeled death machine as i call it :clap3:

im thinking about opening up my tesla and and looking at the control board and also fix a rattling thing i thing its a loose screw i can hear it when i shake the wheel 

but is there anything i should look for on the mosfets? how can i see if theyre ok or if theyre bad?

On 1/17/2018 at 5:31 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

l can't believe how badly you broke Marty's nose! 

Or knocked out half his teeth.  You've made him look like he's got Meth mouth

EDIT. or had a class 1 face plant in a helmet with a removable chin "styler" :D

8 hours ago, Shad0z said:

im thinking about opening up my tesla and and looking at the control board and also fix a rattling thing i thing its a loose screw i can hear it when i shake the wheel 

If it's a screw then you should definitely look at it soon. It could fall across the circuit board and cause a short! My KS14C has a rattle as well but I'm pretty sure it's just a wiring harness that is loose and bangs against the case when I hit bumps. If you can pick up the wheel and turn it slowly upside down and hear the rattle it is probably a screw or loose plastic part. If it only makes the noise on bumps or jolts it is probably a wire slapping the case.

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

you treat marty like a god

he probably deserves it in some way..:huh::D 

The pontiff status is awarded to anyone that posts 1,000 award winning EUC videos within one week. Marty qualified.:cheers:

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

If it's a screw then you should definitely look at it soon. It could fall across the circuit board and cause a short! My KS14C has a rattle as well but I'm pretty sure it's just a wiring harness that is loose and bangs against the case when I hit bumps. If you can pick up the wheel and turn it slowly upside down and hear the rattle it is probably a screw or loose plastic part. If it only makes the noise on bumps or jolts it is probably a wire slapping the case.

it was just one of the peices of plastic from around where the magnet sits so im all good ;)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

The pontiff status is awarded to anyone that posts 1,000 award winning EUC videos within one week. Marty qualified.:cheers:

i really got to love my tesla and the world of eucs but i think i will leave the god status with a room filled with just wheels to marty :D 

7 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

marty i see you scrollin' 

wha how in the world? i just noticed you have like 10,000 upvotes 

you are the real euc god i see

Very funny :D

Hmmm, 10,000 will be a milestone if I ever cross that. I don't know how I got here from my humble beginnings back in August of 2016. I'm very much addicted to EUCs and love talking about them. I need to slow down ...

11 hours ago, Shad0z said:

i have to change my profile photo from this mini pro soon to match up with my current 50 kph one wheeled death machine as i call it :clap3:

but is there anything i should look for on the mosfets? how can i see if theyre ok or if theyre bad?

You can use the continuity checker on a multi-meter to do a quick check.  If you have continuity between the two legs on the right (source and drain), the MOSFET is bad.  The ones I've had go bad have had continuity at all three pins.  A more accurate check is to test opening and closing the gate using a multi-meter to test the functionality; however, this is usually not possible with the MOSFETs installed.    This video explains the process:  

4 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i think i over-edited that profile pic a little but it looks good.. enough... for now :) 

what do you think of it?

Looks ok.  You'll probably change it a few times before you're happy.  I'm on my 3rd or 4th, And quite a few others have been through some changes as well

31 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Looks ok.  You'll probably change it a few times before you're happy.  I'm on my 3rd or 4th, And quite a few others have been through some changes as well

maybe im thinking of doing a picture of me standing with my euc looking over big area from back

i just need to figure out my composition first and where to do it

Archived