My Tesla Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

12 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

maybe im thinking of doing a picture of me standing with my euc looking over big area from back

i just need to figure out my composition first and where to do it

Just remember the EUC God doesn't like it when profile pictures change. He feels a loss.

On 9/25/2017 at 1:01 PM, Marty Backe said:

When you guys change your profile pictures (Batman seems to be a thing lately) or profile name (I'm looking at you @Asylsteirer) it's so confusing and somehow feels like 'he' left the group. I'm weird I know :facepalm:

I WAS The Batman!...Briefly.

:ph34r:

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Just remember the EUC God doesn't like it when profile pictures change. He feels a loss.

I WAS The Batman!...Briefly.

:ph34r:

:thumbup: :)

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Was that taken with a Garmin camera? 

Sony X3000. It records GPS along with the video and includes software to generate the dashboard that you see.

4 minutes ago, NECway said:

Thanks for the video.

Tesla is advertised as being able to go 50km/h+, that is far from what you achieve 40km/h (25 mph).

A bit disappointing.

What is your weight if you don't mine me asking?

You can go faster, Marty chose not to because it is not worth a possible crash. i have seen my dare devil brother go 32mph thats 51.5kph. But i feel satisfied at 26mph

1 minute ago, Bryan Wells said:

You can go faster, Marty chose not to because it is not worth a possible crash. i have had my dare devel brother go 32mph thats 51.5kph. But i feel satisfied at 26mph

I made an assumption that Marty had only the 3rd alarm on and it was beeping almost continuously at 25mph. IMHO when you have reached 80% of power, you have reached top speed. Anything above that is just crazy, but knowing how things are rated in China, now I understand that the 50+ rating is probably at 99% of power with a child on the wheel.

2 hours ago, NECway said:

Thanks for the video.

Tesla is advertised as being able to go 50km/h+, that is far from what you achieve 40km/h (25 mph).

A bit disappointing.

This video is discussed more in this thread: 

You mustn't be disappointed in the Tesla. When I was performing this speed run, the battery (under no-load) was ~50%. At ~25-mph the Tesla was consuming large amounts of power which caused the 3rd alarm to sound.

Rest assured, if I did this same run with a full battery there would have been no issues. All wheels lose speed capability as the battery drains.

That all being said, I personally won't go much above 25-mph, and only for short bursts. 25-mph feels very fast on a self-balancing wheel.

My riding weight is ~170-pounds.

2 hours ago, NECway said:

I made an assumption that Marty had only the 3rd alarm on and it was beeping almost continuously at 25mph. IMHO when you have reached 80% of power, you have reached top speed. Anything above that is just crazy, but knowing how things are rated in China, now I understand that the 50+ rating is probably at 99% of power with a child on the wheel.

Read my response to your original post and than the other thread, and your questions should be answered :)

2 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

You can go faster, Marty chose not to because it is not worth a possible crash. i have seen my dare devil brother go 32mph thats 51.5kph. But i feel satisfied at 26mph

Your brother must be younger than you, if you get my meaning, and a little bit crazy ;)

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This video is discussed more in this thread: 

You mustn't be disappointed in the Tesla. When I was performing this speed run, the battery (under no-load) was ~50%. At ~25-mph the Tesla was consuming large amounts of power which caused the 3rd alarm to sound.

Rest assured, if I did this same run with a full battery there would have been no issues. All wheels lose speed capability as the battery drains.

That all being said, I personally won't go much above 25-mph, and only for short bursts. 25-mph feels very fast on a self-balancing wheel.

My riding weight is ~170-pounds.

25+mph is going to be plenty fast for my daily commute (same weight as you), I was doing it last year on MCM4. That reaches 17mph at 80% and I was expecting 22mph. Right now I'm just eagerly waiting for warm weather there in Toronto while my new Tesla is waiting patiently in the basement. I have done only about 10 miles on it since it arrived. The wait is killing me :)

3 hours ago, NECway said:

25+mph is going to be plenty fast for my daily commute (same weight as you), I was doing it last year on MCM4. That reaches 17mph at 80% and I was expecting 22mph. Right now I'm just eagerly waiting for warm weather there in Toronto while my new Tesla is waiting patiently in the basement. I have done only about 10 miles on it since it arrived. The wait is killing me :)

I thought the MCM4 was a ~19-mph spec'd wheel :confused1:   That's the only modern Gotway wheel that I've never ridden.

8 hours ago, NECway said:

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I thought the MCM4 was a ~19-mph spec'd wheel :confused1:   That's the only modern Gotway wheel that I've never ridden.

When I bought the MCM4 it was listed as 35KM/H+, so that is ~22mph. The best I got using GPS for measurement was 27KM/H (~17mph), this is just a the edge of 3rd alarm.

The MCM4 is fun to ride but I want more speed for my commute, I was considering the MSuper, but Tesla came out and it sounded like the best wheel for me. It arrived in December. December is not a good time of a year to ride here in Toronto. Once the weather warms up I'll do a comparison between the two wheels. Tesla looks like a bigger version of the MCM4.

The short test rides that I did on the Tesla showed me that it is completely different ride experience. Seems slower to accelerate and less nimble then the MCM4, but that is just a first impression. I need to get used to the Tesla to do a proper comparison.

Can't wait for spring.

1 hour ago, NECway said:

When I bought the MCM4 it was listed as 35KM/H+, so that is ~22mph. The best I got using GPS for measurement was 27KM/H (~17mph), this is just a the edge of 3rd alarm.

The MCM4 is fun to ride but I want more speed for my commute, I was considering the MSuper, but Tesla came out and it sounded like the best wheel for me. It arrived in December. December is not a good time of a year to ride here in Toronto. Once the weather warms up I'll do a comparison between the two wheels. Tesla looks like a bigger version of the MCM4.

The short test rides that I did on the Tesla showed me that it is completely different ride experience. Seems slower to accelerate and less nimble then the MCM4, but that is just a first impression. I need to get used to the Tesla to do a proper comparison.

Can't wait for spring.

you're gonna love to ride the tesla i have tried some other wheels and it is weird how the tesla feels very stiff and stable even more so than the ks18 in some ways

but is still a 16 inch with a lot of agility

and the acceleration..

its so SMOOTH it is a little hard but i think it is so smooth that you dont notice you just picked up a lot of speed

whatever gotway did with this wheel is amazing

you will love it

I'm sorry for making the wait even harder now..:mellow::innocent1:

11 hours ago, NECway said:

Can't wait for spring.

While I'm envious that you got a Tesla, your initial comparison to the MCM makes me very happy that I will enjoy getting an MCM as my first wheel if it comes to that.

On 1/21/2018 at 11:25 AM, NECway said:

Thanks for the video.

A bit disappointing.

Just wanna confirm Tesla is indeed a 50+ km/h wheel. I'm 58 kg, and at the Final Alarm (5-beeps/sec), Tesla hits 48 km/h. The fastest I've tried is 53 km/h (and still feel it can go faster). So far, its been safe riding continuously at Final Alarm (for 30 min with no dips in speed and 1.5 hours at mostly Final Alarm with dips in speed in-between).

Tesla 53 kph.jpg

Good news, the Tesla is alive after a motherboard swap. Sadly between my accident and today, the ground has been covered in snow and it looks like it's here to stay. The shell is not in a shape that I would be comfortable dropping it into snow at but I will be looking into better solutions, such as covering the gaps with duct tape and placing the front control board back into place. :D

6 hours ago, Flow said:

Good news, the Tesla is alive after a motherboard swap. Sadly between my accident and today, the ground has been covered in snow and it looks like it's here to stay. The shell is not in a shape that I would be comfortable dropping it into snow at but I will be looking into better solutions, such as covering the gaps with duct tape and placing the front control board back into place. :D

Quick update, there's long piece of pavement next to where I live with zero snow on it. Took the Tesla out for a spin, even pushed it out to ~44 km/h to see if anything breaks suddenly.

The only issue that I can see is that occasionally the wheel rumbles and vibrates, not violently but very noticeably. Very hard to track down, it seems to occur only when beginning to accelerate from low speed and even then just occasionally. I feel like it's nothing to be alarmed about, just an oddity. Any guesses would be welcome.

Other than that, good as new!

1 hour ago, Flow said:

Quick update, there's long piece of pavement next to where I live with zero snow on it. Took the Tesla out for a spin, even pushed it out to ~44 km/h to see if anything breaks suddenly.

The only issue that I can see is that occasionally the wheel rumbles and vibrates, not violently but very noticeably. Very hard to track down, it seems to occur only when beginning to accelerate from low speed and even then just occasionally. I feel like it's nothing to be alarmed about, just an oddity. Any guesses would be welcome.

Other than that, good as new!

My ACM has started to do this. I'm pretty sure it's because the axle nuts and/or pedal wedges are loose. I can't think of any other reason.

It is tempting to ignore, but I think it's a sign that something has changed and probably not for the better.

For my ACM, I'm going to open it up and check the axles.

On 1/20/2018 at 9:35 PM, NECway said:

I really really do not think wheel power can be rated like the way we rate normal vehicles because of the power spikes required to keep up balanced.

Specifically, you're cruising along at, say, 22 mph and consuming 500 watts. Then you hit a bump and the consumption triples for a very short time. You can see all these crazy high consumption spikes by using WheelLog. 

Interestingly, you can greatly reduce those spikes by riding with bent knees and very soft feet. I'm thinking a true unicyclist who already can do the balancing might have phenomenal range and safety simply by riding his EUC like a normal unicycle (the balancing part, I mean).

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Specifically, you're cruising along at, say, 22 mph and consuming 500 watts. Then you hit a bump and the consumption triples for a very short time. You can see all these crazy high consumption spikes by using WheelLog

I think this is the one key point about the difference between riding with a smile on your face and sliding with your face in the dirt. I suspect this phenomenon is responsible for more than one of my face plants. I also think it was responsible for the horrific Tesla face plant video from that group ride, after he hit that tiny dip in the road.

As for soft feet/knees, etc, I have also decided to ride in the middle ride mode, so that the software is also softer on the bumps naturally.  It's a little looser than the tight mode, but not so much that it's bothersome.  If it ever stops raining I'll go out and ride it for a whole trip to see if I can live with it.

Archived