My Tesla Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

12 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I think this is the one key point about the difference between riding with a smile on your face and sliding with your face in the dirt. I suspect this phenomenon is responsible for more than one of my face plants. I also think it was responsible for the horrific Tesla face plant video from that group ride, after he hit that tiny dip in the road.

As for soft feet/knees, etc, I have also decided to ride in the middle ride mode, so that the software is also softer on the bumps naturally.  It's a little looser than the tight mode, but not so much that it's bothersome.  If it ever stops raining I'll go out and ride it for a whole trip to see if I can live with it.

I agree whole heartily. I avoid bumps at speed like the plague. I also don't aggressively accelerate up or down embankments/hills.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Smoother said:

@Marty Backe nice jump at 9:43.  How come your Sony always shows an average speed of 18.9mph?  I've never seen it change.

That telemetry video is processed by the Sony software. The average speed is calculated ahead of time (total time of video segment divided by distance traveled), so it's a fixed value :(

18 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I think this is the one key point about the difference between riding with a smile on your face and sliding with your face in the dirt. I suspect this phenomenon is responsible for more than one of my face plants. I also think it was responsible for the horrific Tesla face plant video from that group ride, after he hit that tiny dip in the road.

However High the spikes will go on a bump or something else...

Your wheel will not „just“ cutout (and later work like nothing has happend), at least not on a KS or GW....on a Gotway a mosfet would blow if the Amp range is reached(as no protections are build in)......on a KS the fuse would blow, if the limits of the boards or batterys are reached. 

(and before another discussion starts, thats something different as when a highspeed cutout happens, a highspeed cutout is not amp/power related, its because of the Back Emf or whatever it is called....)

37 minutes ago, Smoother said:

As for soft feet/knees, etc, I have also decided to ride in the middle ride mode, so that the software is also softer on the bumps naturally.  It's a little looser than the tight mode, but not so much that it's bothersome.  If it ever stops raining I'll go out and ride it for a whole trip to see if I can live with it.

I've crashed my KS16s on MEDIUM a few times going over concrete lips at slow speeds, lips that HARD setting do not even notice. The wheel gets stuck behind me, and off the wheel I go.

In my opinion the difference between medium and hard at higher speeds in minimal, but as you go slower the difference between them gets bigger.

A good analogy is I feel like that water ducky toy, the one that dips its mouth into water then comes back up. It takes much more water and the ducky dips far faster when you set his screw tighter.

Harder is better if you don't care about range.

1 minute ago, LanghamP said:

I've crashed my KS16s on MEDIUM a few times going over concrete lips at slow speeds, lips that HARD setting do not even notice. The wheel gets stuck behind me, and off the wheel I go.

In my opinion the difference between medium and hard at higher speeds in minimal, but as you go slower the difference between them gets bigger.

A good analogy is I feel like that water ducky toy, the one that dips its mouth into water then comes back up. It takes much more water and the ducky dips far faster when you set his screw tighter.

Harder is better if you don't care about range.

I'll definitely watch out for that phenomenon and report back.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

great video marty ;) let me give you one peice of advice (filmaking advice)

try to use the slomotion in shorter periods 

in your videos i see you make it slomo well before anything happens then about 10 seconds of slowness then a jump and then it stops

try to time it with something like a turn. when the jump starts and less is more ;)

(sorry im not trying to tell you how to make your videos i just have a little filmaking experience, you can try it out and see if it works for you :) )

3 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

in your videos i see you make it slomo well before anything happens then about 10 seconds of slowness then a jump and then it stops

try to time it with something like a turn. when the jump starts and less is more ;)

(sorry im not trying to tell you how to make your videos i just have a little filmaking experience, you can try it out and see if it works for you :) )

You know, you can Private message people when you want to share direct information. ;)

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

You know, you can Private message people when you want to share direct information. ;)

ahh damn it... i totally forgot that existed

thanks for reminding me :)

26 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

Thanks. I'm experimenting with the slo-mo, and there will probably be much less in the future.

On 16/01/2018 at 8:44 PM, Marty Backe said:

Nope. Hitting a large bump/hole at high speed generates a huge current spike (as I see on my Tesla when I hit bumps at speed). This instance looks like a severe hole was involved which could do it when the wheel is traveling very fast.

always slow down a bit when I see that I'm about to go over a large bump or dip. My Pebble watch gives me current spike feedback so now I'm attuned to what size bumps I need to avoid when going fast.

@Marty Backe What level (amps) have you got the current alarm set to for your Tesla? Doing the same. Many thanks

Edit: Found answer (90A) here, thanks

On 1/24/2018 at 1:44 AM, Marty Backe said:

My ACM has started to do this. I'm pretty sure it's because the axle nuts and/or pedal wedges are loose. I can't think of any other reason.

It is tempting to ignore, but I think it's a sign that something has changed and probably not for the better.

For my ACM, I'm going to open it up and check the axles.

I feel like the Tesla has gotten worse. Sometimes it gets into fits where it seems the vibrations and rumbling won't stop. Slight bouncing on the pedals (which seems to point to the axle or pedal as you said) or restarting the wheel (???, maybe because I'm getting off the wheel to do it?) seems to fix it. I still trust it to not throw me off but it is getting more disconcerting.

1 hour ago, Flow said:

I feel like the Tesla has gotten worse. Sometimes it gets into fits where it seems the vibrations and rumbling won't stop. Slight bouncing on the pedals (which seems to point to the axle or pedal as you said) or restarting the wheel (???, maybe because I'm getting off the wheel to do it?) seems to fix it. I still trust it to not throw me off but it is getting more disconcerting.

Do you feel any (even very slight) looseness in the pedals. For instance, if you rock the wheel back and forth while standing on it, is there any slight 'play' in the pedals. That's what I'm noticing with the ACM, which coincides with the start of the rumbling.

• 2 months later...

I was on a slight downhill the the Tesla got away from me. Rolled, felled, and the covers popped off. Sound awful while it's happening in the dark, miles from the nearest road.

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I was on a slight downhill the the Tesla got away from me. Rolled, felled, and the covers popped off. Sound awful while it's happening in the dark, miles from the nearest road.

Hope you're ok!  Hope the Tesla is ride-able / repairable!

8 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

Hope you're ok!  Hope the Tesla is ride-able / repairable!

Oh yeah, everything is OK. I lost control of the wheel while going about 2-mph (don't ask) and it rolled down hill a little before falling over. But it's funny how the covers pop off which, when happening in the dark, sounds like the wheel fell apart. I fumbled in the dark a bit and popped them back on and continued riding.

I wonder whether it might be wise to carry along a small backpack with a flashlight, wire cutter, electrical tape, screwdriver (multi-tool), quick splice connectors, and some duct tape.

The side panels with their tiny screws are definitely a weak spot on the Tesla.  There's no way they are staying on after a crash.  Maybe using industrial Velcro tape to help secure the battery packs in might prevent them from being ejected in future mishaps.  It's too bad Gotway doesn't use some sort of battery pack securing straps like King Song employs.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder whether it might be wise to carry along a small backpack with a flashlight, wire cutter, electrical tape, screwdriver (multi-tool), quick splice connectors, and some duct tape.

The side panels with their tiny screws are definitely a weak spot on the Tesla.  There's no way they are staying on after a crash.  Maybe using industrial Velcro tape to help secure the battery packs in might prevent them from being ejected in future mishaps.  It's too bad Gotway doesn't use some sort of battery pack securing straps like King Song employs.

I do carry a repair kit with me on most of my rides, including an air pump. You can see it on my waist in most of my videos.

BTW, what popped off are the front and back frosted plastic pieces that snap into place. Just like the Mten3, in a jarring fall they can pop off, but seem indestructible.

Oh I thought I read that the battery packs went flying out.  Must be a bit tired today.  :sleep1: Had to swap out winter tires on my car after my Tesla ride.

BTW isn't it a bit dangerous to be riding those mountain trails at night?  I know the Tesla headlight is pretty bright, but it must be tricky negotiating the dirt pathways and switchbacks in the dark.

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Oh I thought I read that the battery packs went flying out.  Must be a bit tired today.  :sleep1: Had to swap out winter tires on my car after my Tesla ride.

I think you're confusing my post with the "Respect The Beep" guy who crashed his Tesla. Definitely not me :)

the tesla is a sturdy wheel!

unless. you count the glossy plastic strips.. :P 

im ordering a few replacement plastic strips for the front and back from gotway. mine already look like theyve been through a war. plus mine is full of  invincible tape residue from many different foams i put on it. not even acetone will get it off

they look like crap. one of them cracked because it flew off and hang on a metal fence ?

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

a rape kit?

Archived