Can I learn this...?

Tom Fagerland

2 hours ago, Slaughthammer said:

The shopping cart may be a not so good idea in Europe. Our shopping carts tend to have 4 caster wheels... even for a skilled EUC-rider not so easy to push those around while riding.

Image result for european shopping cartsWow, I never knew that, and in most of the photos, they have legs like this with no tray on the bottom for more carrying.  Saw a funny video where the guy was complaining about how hard it is to control a European shopping cart.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remember that the only limits on what you can do, are the ones you accept as being true.  That's it.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  I had major abdominal surgery once, and I wanted to get out of bed, and the nurses and doctors laughed and told me I needed another week of healing.  I figured out how to get my ass out of that bed in 20 minutes, and screw them!  They were amazed.  Never saw that before.  No idea how I did it with my abdominal muscles separated.  But I did it.  And I did it in a way that didn't hurt... I just had to figure out the physics of how in my head first.

So, realize that no matter what challenge you face, it's just a challenge, and there are ways over, under, around or through it if you are determined, creative and persistent enough.  You can do this!

On 7/29/2017 at 9:10 AM, Tom Fagerland said:

Oh, it won't. In fact, if I was to break a hip, I would be better off than most of you, since an operation in that area is already under consideration ;)

Thanks for the comforting - I have tried both with a railing, and without. With a railing I can move alongside it without touching more than once every second or so, which is a start... I try not to lean on the railing, but of course it's so easy to avoid faceplanting by just adjusting eeeever so little...

The problem is that I don't have a railing available close to home, so here I just try to hop, as described in Ombre's (fantastic, by the way) book. And as it turns out, that method doesn't work for me at all. 

You might try this.. it worked for me!

there are training vids for every aspect on YouTube, and we will gladly help you find/learn whatever step you are at. 

You CAN do this! Wear pads!

13 hours ago, Pard said:

If you have access to a rolling walker, such as the type a person who is supposed to use in order limit weight bearing after an injury and supplement balance, you have a great training aid.  You would need to max out the height on it but it would provide stabilization while you developed skill and confidence.

Of course, you would look ridiculous, which is part of riding and EUC anyway, so with the walker, you develop some emotional callouses as well :).

I started on an In-motion v3 with dual wheels.  It is easier to learn on, but not by much.

rolling.PNG

Have you actually tried that?

Good luck on your journey, and I hope you don't cut it short.  Some things are just terribly difficult, but that doesn't mean they can't be done.

I have pretty much no physical gifts and some significant problems preventing me from excelling at physical things (strabismus means no depth perception, so forget any sports that use a ball and many others besides; also scoliosis which puts my spine out of alignment; some etc.s').  Yet I've tried hard all my life and gotten at least a little better at everything I've tried that isn't physically impossible (I will never see in 3-D) and gotten good at the rare thing or two as well.  

I'm sure we all have things like that going on to some extent.  Probably you can get better, but it's just going to be extra hard for you.  Like so many things are for so many people.

It sucks and can feel embarrassing when learning is slow.  Please just pad up properly so as you go through your likely difficulties, you won't get scared off by something like an injury you could have actually prevented by thinking ahead a bit better and spending a little more money.  Of all the things you don't want to let scare you off or defeat you, you sure don't want it to be a preventable injury.

4 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Have you actually tried that?

Yes. For about an hour.  I could not keep wheel steady to mount, and did not have a spare set of hands to keep me steady.  Saw the walker in the garage and it helped. Driveway use only.

If your hip requires some support to reduce pain I experimented wearing a hip brace ( and a few more) awhile back to see if I could still ride. A bit awkward but doable. 

H9Lx1Pv.jpg

I also found an a video of me learning to ride on an airwheel a few years ago ( no comments please :facepalm:). Anything to help a fellow member! :thumbup: 

You need to remove your hands from the walker or cart to begin gaining a sense of balance. Holding on continuously will only impede your learning process. I used the bars for approximately  30 minutes before heading to the parking lot. 

The 2 wheeled airwheel (this was a Q6) might be a possibility as they are easier to ride). 

Edit: Substitute using 2 cars or trucks parked parallel to each other, 2 1/2 to 3 feet apart,  and practice riding between them, taking your hands off as much as possible, I will try and shoot a video. 

If one of your legs is fine - you can first learn to ride on that one leg. Just do steps with one leg on EUC. Longer and longer steps till you ride.

Also I believe it is way easier to learn on a double wheeler like SCV V3. You can pretty much stand still on it and I was able to ride in five minutes with no previous experience.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

If your hip requires some support to reduce pain I experimented wearing a hip brace ( and a few more) awhile back to see if I could still ride. A bit awkward but doable. 

H9Lx1Pv.jpg

I also found an a video of me learning to ride on an airwheel a few years ago ( no comments please :facepalm:). Anything to help a fellow member! :thumbup: 

You need to remove your hands from the walker or cart to begin gaining a sense of balance. Holding on continuously will only impede your learning process. I used the bars for approximately  30 minutes before heading to the parking lot. 

The 2 wheeled airwheel (this was a Q6) might be a possibility as they are easier to ride). 

No comments? Come on!

Loved the vid! We ALL looked ridiculous in the beginning! Hell.. the first time I tried outside, I almost didn't for fear someone would see me. ?

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Edit: Substitute using 2 cars or trucks parked parallel to each other, 2 1/2 to 3 feet apart,  and practice riding between them, taking your hands off as much as possible, I will try and shoot a video. 

That was great. Love all the commentary, particularly this one; "I don't know why I'm doing this?" :D

It's fun to be able to look back at our early days.

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That was great. Love all the commentary, particularly this one; "I don't know why I'm doing this?" :D

It's fun to be able to look back at our early days.

It is nice to reflect back. Funny...out of all of the footage that could be used for the thumbnail I end up with a butt shot.:)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

out of all of the footage that could be used for the thumbnail I end up with a butt shot

There is some way to pick the thumbnail, I asked a guy once how his thumbnail was this pretty woman but she didn't appear in the video till almost the end, he told me he picked the thumbnail.  

19 minutes ago, steve454 said:

There is some way to pick the thumbnail, I asked a guy once how his thumbnail was this pretty woman but she didn't appear in the video till almost the end, he told me he picked the thumbnail.  

Yes you can do that. Back then I was not that familiar with Youtube. Suppose I could change it.  Could be worse....like a crotch shot. Then @Hunka Hunka Burning Love would be leaving his comments.:) Is the arrow pointing at my ass in everyone's thumbnail?:facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

buttcam.com! :w00t2:  I see a money opportunity here!  Dammit someone already registered the website.  Sigh... :cry2:  Don't worry - I'll leave my comments regardless.  :whistling:  It's what I do.  :innocent1:

eucbutt.com is not registered. Anyone up for a proctology exam?:thumbup:

as long as it's not painful, yeah, you'll get it! just echoing what others have said, learning time is variable. i was really impatient at first, but the best thing, i think, is to do short sessions every day or every other day - every time you'll make small improvements!

20 minutes ago, Tom Fagerland said:

I need a tutor or something.

Many reseller offer training sessions or you find some other wheeler(s) near you?

20 minutes ago, Tom Fagerland said:

I feel like I'm in EUC special ed!

Otherwise don't overdo it - something like two times a day 15 min for example was enough for me - then suddenly it makes click and one sees the progress.  

@Tom Fagerland you will manage, today was also my first day outside the house. House felt save with the kitchen and the walls but was learning nothing actually. I went outside today and first started on grass, which was HARD! Then I moved to flat empty road, and was falling all the time... (mostly the device was falling) but after 20 minutes I suddenly could ride for 5 to 10 meters. After another 10 minutes I could drive 50 meters, then started to wobble and I stepped of. Now I lie on the couch relaxing, tomorrow new day.

But the story is that I now know that I can manage 50 meters! Hopefully tomorrow it will be a few meters more without stepping of! You can do it to! Just as soon as you fall off step on immediately and try again. For now I can feel my back from all the balance twisting!!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Many reseller offer training sessions or you find some other wheeler(s) near you?

Otherwise don't overdo it - something like two times a day 15 min for example was enough for me - then suddenly it makes click and one sees the progress.  

1: Good idea, I'll call them and ask...

2: Yeah, I'm around there. More like 3 @ 10, but yeah...

Heh, I was about to leave the kindergarten (why is the english spelling so german, btw?) and a little girl asked me what I was doing. Did I not know that there was no bicycles and no rocks on the blue "tarmac"? I had to lie and say that since it wasn't a bicycle*, it was surely allowed.

Kids are awesome, and I feel really bad every time I have to lie to them. And you have to do that a LOT when you don't know the kid enough to know the proper way to explain yourself. 

*) We don't say bicycle og tricycle, we say cycle, or sykkel, so I wasn't just saying it's not a bicycle, I was properly lying and said it wasn't a cycle at all.

Hi, I'm new here. Ordered a white ks-16s. First one, so I'll be learning too.

Anyway, knowing that it is on it's way, made me come to grips with learning to ride it and trying to figure out a little balance assistance for just raw never having been on one. So I thought the same thing earlier today, a walker, two canes, shopping cart, etc. and then I was thinking how practical these things would be if you could get groceries, then I thought, jogging baby stroller. The geometry is similar to a Can Am Spyder.

I figure you could get a nice used one at Goodwill. 

Thinking about putting my dog up there but he's probably gonna be too big (Anatolian Shepherd) so maybe a swaddled remote control "Chuckie" for laughs.

Any of you pros ever tried it or know it won't work pls lmk.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

Hi, I'm new here. Ordered a white ks-16s. First one, so I'll be learning too.

Anyway, knowing that it is on it's way, made me come to grips with learning to ride it and trying to figure out a little balance assistance for just raw never having been on one. So I thought the same thing earlier today, a walker, two canes, shopping cart, etc. and then I was thinking how practical these things would be if you could get groceries, then I thought, jogging baby stroller. The geometry is similar to a Can Am Spyder.

I figure you could get a nice used one at Goodwill. 

Thinking about putting my dog up there but he's probably gonna be too big (Anatolian Shepherd) so maybe a swaddled remote control "Chuckie" for laughs.

Any of you pros ever tried it or know it won't work pls lmk.

From my personal preference I would ignore all external help in balancing, and just start with the device itself. Maybe only a leash but that's not for balancing but only for protecting your wheel from falling. You will learn much faster this way, first day will be crap, but it gets great pretty quick, just don't give up! I almost did and I'm glad I just stepped on it again and retried. With the help of walls and all other help will slow you down learning to balance on your own.

Archived