How is your local authority reacting?

Clifmeister

Since EUC is still a grey area in most countries, have you encountered any incident with authority, and how to they mostly react? Anyone lost there device to an authority or received a fine?

I live in The Netherlands, and our local authority states that we need to have a license plate and insurance to drive motorized vehicle. But to have a license plate the device must be authorized first which a EUC is not. So its not legal to drive these units on public roads (and since my backyard is 5 x 5 meters it's not enough for me to have fun driving on). Am I correct with this? How is it organised in your country?

In Finland, the law is fortunately quite simple. If you're driving at walking speeds (max. 15km/h), you're considered as a pedestrian with pedestrian's rules. Otherwise (max. 25km/h) you're considered as a bicyclist. So if you're driving fast, you're supposed to wear a helmet and need to use the bicycle lanes. Regular insurance policies of my home insurance apply (e.g. liability or accident) so no need for additional insurance. Personal transportation devices were included in the legislation on 1.1.2016.

The local police seems to be aware of this as I haven't ever been stopped..

In my city, the police don't bother to enforce laws they don't care about.  One such being the use of fireworks (which is illegal at the state level); another being that motorized vehicles are not allowed on the sidewalk.  We have two wheeled motor scooters being ridden all over the place on the sidewalks here, and the police just don't care.  That seems a bit much to me, since we do have bike lanes - although I can see an EUC being reasonable on sidewalks.

Unfortunately, given how stupid our city government is I'm sure they will eventually pass some asinine law making it illegal.  I get the impression that EUCs will be mostly illegal around the world by the year 2020, which will at best slow their adoption to a crawl, when this could be a huge solution to clean personal transport, especially in cities.  Legislators seem to love saying no.

The United States will of course have 50 different state laws, one Federal mandate that probably contradicts all 50 state laws, and laws in the cities which contradict all of the others.  We like to keep things logical here, can't you tell?  :lol:

43 minutes ago, Clifmeister said:

Since EUC is still a grey area in most countries, have you encountered any incident with authority, and how to they mostly react? Anyone lost there device to an authority or received a fine?

I live in The Netherlands, and our local authority states that we need to have a license plate and insurance to drive motorized vehicle. But to have a license plate the device must be authorized first which a EUC is not. So its not legal to drive these units on public roads (and since my backyard is 5 x 5 meters it's not enough for me to have fun driving on). Am I correct with this? How is it organised in your country?

Sounds a bit like in Germany :-)

So no other way than to drive "illegal"... :-)

Go and look into the "local Groups" section...there was a netherlands thread about a Group Drive near Arnheim if i remember correctly. So there are some other Netherlands here which probably can give you some advice what to do and what not...

I ride 20 km (10km to the office and 10km back home) in Amsterdam when the weather permits. I always ride on the cycle paths and follow the "cycling" rules. Police saw me but didn't stop me. One colleague was stopped by a police in Utrecht but the office just wanted to ask him what that (ninebot one e+) is. 

Yes, it is still not 'legal' to ride any e-mobility products in NL (except e-bike).

dont know what the laws here are, but gone past dozens of cops in the last couple weeks and not a single one has batted an eye (no helmet, no lights daytime and late evening), on sidewalks and bike lanes.. then again everyone rides anything everywhere here lol have never seen anyone get stopped

I live near Forrest Park which has hourly Segway tours. As the Segway is popular around here with tourists and security, the EUC technology is familiar and accepted though not common.

Talking to cops at various events, they all seem to like the EUC as being something very practical to get around with. However, my local laws are fairly clear; allowable with due care in my local counties that are majority white but strictly forbidden on BOTH sidewalk and roads in the majority black counties. Them's rules not applied equally.

10 hours ago, Rywokast said:

dont know what the laws here are, but gone past dozens of cops in the last couple weeks and not a single one has batted an eye (no helmet, no lights daytime and late evening), on sidewalks and bike lanes.. then again everyone rides anything everywhere here lol have never seen anyone get stopped

Be careful.  All the BC riders that have joined have mysteriously disappeared (gone to jail?) .  @Merrittous MonoWheel @Hatchet @Nuo Meng @musk ... dun dun dun... :blink:

I had one PCSO (Police Community Support Officer) stop me over a year ago. He was supposed to check up on the legality and get back to me... I have heard nothing since but have seen him a couple of times. 

Any Police officers I've come across, either on foot or in vehicles, have never stopped me other than to ask what it is. One even mentioned he had a "hover board". If stopped/asked I do mention that I used to be very active but am no longer able to so it is my form of mobility scooter (also keeps me sane lol) and gets me to work and out with my kids etc. 

Generally they tend to tell me to take care and enjoy.

I admit though that I have seen them while riding my original Ninebot or the ACM. I haven't seen too many while riding my Monster but am bound to soon while my ACM is out of action.

Hoi Cliffmeister,

De rijders die ik ken in Nederland hebben nooit problemen met de politie gehad.

In juni hebben we in Giethoorn en omstreken met 11 euc rijders een tocht gehad.

Geen van allen heeft ooit in beslag name van het wiel gehad.

De wet is er redelijk duidelijk in, maar word divers geïnterpreteerd.

We vallen onder skateboarden en skeelers in wettelijke zin.

En zolang je je op de weg de normale  verkeersregels in acht neemt zit je m.i. goed.

Bij de rijders zijn mensen uit Arnhem - Groningen ( omgeving ) Amersfoort Hilversum ( ik ) en Den-haag en Enschede.

In al deze plaatsen lijkt de politie vrij coulant.

Ik rijd nu een dik jaar op een euc en doe ook woon/werk verkeer met het wiel.

Ben meer als 10 keer politie tegen gekomen, nog nooit aangehouden.

Wel geïnteresseerde blikken van de dienders.

Er zelfs een enkele rijder met een verzekering voor zijn wiel, weliswaar zonder kenteken.

In Duitsland zijn wel regio met euc op kenteken ( zie tillman op dit forum met kenteken ).

Als je overweegt een wiel te kopen, zal ik voor angst voor politie je niet laten weerhouden een wiel te kopen ( mits je er nog geen hebt ).

Het is zo praktisch - leuk - besparend om te doen, en het leren is dat ook.

Mocht je verder vragen hebben stel ze gerust.

Op Facebook is sinds kort een Nederlandse pagina - Facebook.com/groups/EUCnl.

Ook hebben we een groep app, op verdere vragen hebben we mogelijk een antwoord.;)

Bij local meetings is ook een nederlandse pagina, met o.a de rit in arnhem.

Succes en groeten! Gerard

I understood we, word, local meetings, um, that's about it.  :blink:   But let me take the liberty of translating anyways for the benefit of English speaking forum members.  Translation bulleted.  Pardon any slight grammatical errors.  Accuracy of translation not guaranteed.  No money back.  :whistling: <Hunka translate activated>

3 hours ago, gotmotion2016 said:

Hoi Cliffmeister,

• Yo Clifmeister,

De rijders die ik ken in Nederland hebben nooit problemen met de politie gehad.

• The riders die if Ken's nether regions have no problems meeting the polite jihad.

In juni hebben we in Giethoorn en omstreken met 11 euc rijders een tocht gehad.

• In June we have in goat horns and ostriches met 11 EUC riders in torched jihad.

Geen van allen heeft ooit in beslag name van het wiel gehad.

• Gene Van Allen has bought the best named hot van while jihading. 

De wet is er redelijk duidelijk in, maar word divers geïnterpreteerd.

• What's wet is that red licked the licking dude, but word divers were gently perturbed.

We vallen onder skateboarden en skeelers in wettelijke zin.

• We will order skateboards and scalers in wet-licking sin.

En zolang je je op de weg de normale  verkeersregels in acht neemt zit je m.i. goed.

• In spring we we oopsie doodle wag the normal vultures in our nimble pimple we must igloo good.

Bij de rijders zijn mensen uit Arnhem - Groningen ( omgeving ) Amersfoort Hilversum ( ik ) en Den-haag en Enschede.

• Bet the riders are menstrating in harmonic-unison (omigod) American feetstinkbad (ick) on the old hag of England.

In al deze plaatsen lijkt de politie vrij coulant.

• In all, the plate lickers of polite virgin coolant.

Ik rijd nu een dik jaar op een euc en doe ook woon/werk verkeer met het wiel.

• I'd ride you from penis jar of the EUC of those ugly women/working volunteers who have wheels.

Ben meer als 10 keer politie tegen gekomen, nog nooit aangehouden.

• Been merely all 10 keen polite teen gentlemen, nod not in anger hood.

Wel geïnteresseerde blikken van de dienders.

Er zelfs een enkele rijder met een verzekering voor zijn wiel, weliswaar zonder kenteken.

• Well gentle be thy ears blinked wide by dandruff.  If self in ukelele rider met in the Zeke ring over are well, well is war over Ketchikan.

In Duitsland zijn wel regio met euc op kenteken ( zie tillman op dit forum met kenteken ).

• In Do-It-land are well region met EUC of Ketchikan (The Tillman of this forum met in Ketchikan).

Als je overweegt een wiel te kopen, zal ik voor angst voor politie je niet laten weerhouden een wiel te kopen ( mits je er nog geen hebt ).

• Else I'm overweight and will try to cope, alas it's very angry versus polite that I'm not late where ever and will try to cope (give me a nod Gene buddy)

Het is zo praktisch - leuk - besparend om te doen, en het leren is dat ook.

Mocht je verder vragen hebben stel ze gerust.

• That is so practical - like - be spared by the time, in that barely is that okay.  Makes me very glad to have still my gusto.

Op Facebook is sinds kort een Nederlandse pagina - Facebook.com/groups/EUCnl.

• On Facebook is our own Netherlandic (naughty word censored).

Ook hebben we een groep app, op verdere vragen hebben we mogelijk een antwoord.;)

• Okay have we our group app, it would very well be mogul-lick and ant words.

Bij local meetings is ook een nederlandse pagina, met o.a de rit in arnhem.

• BJ local meetings are okay in Netherlandic (bad word omitted again), give orange apple of right in Anaheim.

Succes en groeten! Gerard

• Success is great!  Steven

1 hour ago, Clifmeister said:

Holy crap @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Thats an almost near perfect translation! Bwaha!

@gotmotion2016 for the dutch info!! I bought mine and its up for delivery... 

I know right?  Sometimes I even amaze myself.  :whistling:  It's just a natural talent I've acquired to be able to translate any language into English.  I don't even have any formal training!  Shocking, isn't it?  Just imagine the incredible work I could be doing for the UN.  :efef6b27e5:  Oh well, if I ever lose my day job I have something to fall back on. :efee8319ab:

48 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's just a natural talent I've acquired to be able to translate any language into English.  

Damn, and there was me thinking you just had to speak louder to be understood in any country - unless, of course, you've got a fish in your ear. ?

For most part have had not much problems but there is always a new guy in the neighborhood that has to pull me over, ok I ride in the street when ever I can...this week a fat ass sheriff...seen him in parkinglot where they were doing emergency exercise... 1am in morning ain't no cars around I go street.... anyways he finally tells me to stay off street only sidewalks.... 90% of our sidewalks are a mess, more hazardous then the streets!

Archived