Solowheel Seattle!

SeattleAbarth

Just met Jeffrey at th Solowheel Seattle location.  Great riding spot!  Had a good chat on what they have coming out that is imminent!   

Rode their Extreme...  was so funky!!!  And my wheels in my head grinding. This might be the secret sauce to faster speed cruising... ontop of what they have coming out soon.   Might be a great alternative to KS & Gotway,   Can't wait!!!

Thanks again Jeff!  Will definitely meet up and drop by often for the rides!

11353134-928A-4299-9023-ED8A6079EAAB_zps

1 hour ago, SeattleAbarth said:

Just met Jeffrey at th Solowheel Seattle location.  Great riding spot!  Had a good chat on what they have coming out that is imminent!   

Rode their Extreme...  was so funky!!!  And my wheels in my head grinding. This might be the secret sauce to faster speed cruising... ontop of what they have coming out soon.   Might be a great alternative to KS & Gotway,   Can't wait!!!

Thanks again Jeff!  Will definitely meet up and drop by often for the rides!

11353134-928A-4299-9023-ED8A6079EAAB_zps

Can you elaborate in any way. You just dropped a whole bunch intriguing tidbits but left us hanging.

What is the extreme and how is it an alternative to Gotway and KingSong?  Secret sauce? Faster speed cruising? What does that mean?

Did you sign a non-disclosure agreement?

Thanks,
 Marty

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Can you elaborate in any way. You just dropped a whole bunch intriguing tidbits but left us hanging.

What is the extreme and how is it an alternative to Gotway and KingSong?  Secret sauce? Faster speed cruising? What does that mean?

Isn't this the same Extreme they've had for a few years? @edwin_rm brought one to the Washington DC meetups a few times. It seemed nice in the look but I don't think the performance specs are great compared to what else you can get today. Of course Edwin seems to be pretty tough on wheels, last I saw him he was limping along on a KS16 with a broken axle clamp. :) 

17 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Isn't this the same Extreme they've had for a few years? @edwin_rm brought one to the Washington DC meetups a few times. It seemed nice in the look but I don't think the performance specs are great compared to what else you can get today. Of course Edwin seems to be pretty tough on wheels, last I saw him he was limping along on a KS16 with a broken axle clamp. :) 

I know. Doesn't appear to be anything new here. I love the spec's on the Extreme wheel. It's what you would get with a $200 generic wheel. I know the build quality is great (I assume at that price), but 10mph? And a ~10 range? Crazy stuff.

3 hours ago, SeattleAbarth said:

Might be a great alternative to KS & Gotway

If only that could be true, but sadly, it is far from possible. For reasons that might forever be a mystery, Solowheel decided that underspec'd + overpriced = success.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What is the extreme and how is it an alternative to Gotway and KingSong?

The Extreme is an incorrectly named wheel that, although nice, in no way comes anywhere near to being a Gotway or King Song alternative.

But the motor is an 1800w.  I had quite a bit of questions.  Jeff who I chatted with has been one of their test ?...  hope they can put that 1800w wheel to good use. ;)     Which I'm not sure if that's the peak rating,   Why they have a limit set to 10mph is odd.

1. bump up the battary

2. Bum up the board to handle higher amp draw.

3.  Motor is already 1800w.  Sooo. No chsnge

again. Looking forward to the potential. :)

29 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

The Extreme is an incorrectly named wheel that, although nice, in no way comes anywhere near to being a Gotway or King Song alternative.

Actually "Extreme" and "solo" are perfect names. 

Extreme pricing and they will be solo (alone) if they don't get with the program. Lol

1800W is the peak rating.

Source: if they don't say if it's nominal or peak, it is not going to be nominal;)

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I love the spec's on the Extreme wheel. It's what you would get with a $200 generic wheel.

That sums it up perfectly for Solowheel. Not sure how they are even still in business, they must be subsidized by something else. Or the Seattle "local!!!" hipster crowd really pays $$$$ for an inferior product.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Did you sign a non-disclosure agreement?

Thanks,
 Marty

Hail Marty!

i didn't sign an NDA.  But I don't want to be the person dropping their news,   I was given a timeline of 2 weeks.  I'm hoping they will provide a faster wheel...  

2 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Actually "Extreme" and "solo" are perfect names. 

Extreme pricing and they will be solo (alone) if they don't get with the program. Lol

Yeah I think the extreme has been out for a while.  It's the first 18" I've ridden.  And it's completely difference From the tight response I'm used to with the NB1.  If say like driving an old Cadillac with soft suspension...  feels weird at first,  but it also got me thinking..  what if that   Soft response would help high speed transitions over rougher terrain.   

I wont know until I test it,  but I'm curious if that softer feel at higher speeds would help prevent the wheel + driver over compensating...   the softer response. Like riding a long board vs short board in surfing...  it might be a positive factor.   It's an odd ride to switch to.  But that's what I meant by sauce @Marty Backe :)   Instead of the bump jaring the rider input and feedback. It just roles over it.  But the odd feeling might be a sensation of falling.  I won't know until I ride one a little longer.

thats all I got. :)

2 hours ago, SeattleAbarth said:

I wont know until I test it,

True!

2 hours ago, SeattleAbarth said:

but I'm curious if that softer feel at higher speeds would help prevent the wheel + driver over compensating...

Let's put it this way, many of the EUC's available have the ability to set a harder or softer mode (although I'm not at all sure 'soft' is as soft as on a Solowheel?) very few people, I.e. none that I am aware of, choose to ride in the softest mode, even, or especially, if going over rough terrain. It does help with foot fatigue (IMHO) but it will result in leaning a lot further forward at times than most people are comfortable with possibly even making ground contact with the peddles on rough ground more likely as well?

I really do like my ACMs normal ride mode, which apparently is very soft compared to other wheels (soft mode is too unsafe though, you feel like standing on jelly). So if the Solowheels have something comparable, I'm all for it.

6 hours ago, SeattleAbarth said:

And it's completely difference From the tight response I'm used to with the NB1.  If say like driving an old Cadillac with soft suspension...  feels weird at first,  but it also got me thinking..  what if that   Soft response would help high speed transitions over rougher terrain.   

Yeah, those soft riding modes do feel exactly like driving an old car. I'm not really a fan because they let you tilt a lot which you start to feel is "normal". Then when something bad happens like a cutout or power dip you lose a half-second of reaction time because you don't notice.

As far as Solowheel goes, we've seen several other products teased over the years, only to never see sales--remember that "ring" wheel? Right now on their site they have the Iota which they Kickstarted a few months ago and are promising for September. Then there is the Scorpion which looks like a very nice design. They say will ship in December (!), cost $1,600 (!!), and have a max speed of 10mph (!?!?!??!).

http://store.inventist.com/solowheel-scorpion.aspx

I'd love to see Solowheel make a comeback but it just gets tougher and tougher with companies like Ninebot, King Song, and Gotway iterating regularly and trying new things. That's valuable experience Solowheel doesn't have. They can blame Chinese patent infringers and other problems but in the end a company that can't ship competitive products won't last.

I think a part of the problem with Inventist is that they are a company based in the US.  To produce these wheels they have a few more costly hoops to jump through like UL certification and patenting which can cost thousands of dollars.  As well, I wonder if they feel compelled to keep the speeds low in order to avoid lawsuits from accident-injury lawyers.  Electronics failures can occur with any wheel, and a lawsuit or class action suit can be devastating if the profit margins are too slim.

Design costs in the US likely are much higher for shells, motors, and electronic components whereas in China they can go from concept to production much quicker and more competitively.  Business operating costs are higher in the US than in China as well.  They likely are having production done in China to try to keep costs down.

We are seeing hoverboards back on the market with UL certifications in places like Canadian Tire for $400 which are similarly priced to the ones I bought from AliExpress.  They don't seem to be as popular now as they never recovered from their bad reputation of catching on fire, but their price point is reasonable so it is possible to be compliant and keep pricing low.  Those might be from China based companies though and simply imported.

With some China based companies, they can shut down and re-open under a different name almost overnight and can be less exposed to individual litigation.  There was that one US Ninebot One E+ rider whose wheel cut out after he swapped out his OEM tire (video was posted then removed).  He broke his collarbone, and the last I heard of it was that he was talking with a lawyer to try to get compensation from Ninebot.  I don't know if anything came out of that case.

With Trump closing some doors on globalization, it should be interesting to see what happens to prices on every day products if they place high tariffs on imports from China and move to more US based production.  It's good to support one's own economy, but with that may come higher pricing.  It should be interesting to watch what happens in the automotive market as production shifts away from Mexico, Canada and abroad.

Maybe if Inventist moved their company to Shenzhen they might be more competitively positioned and prices might not be as high as they currently are.

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

With Trump closing some doors on globalization, it should be interesting to see what happens to prices on every day products if they place high tariffs on imports from China and move to more US based production

The Donald has spoken!

On 2017-7-1 at 5:38 AM, SeattleAbarth said:

Motor is already 1800w.

How do I know that this number is comparable with specifications given for other wheels? I have considerable doubts that it is.

Hey @SeattleAbarth!

Cool to meet you too! 

I know there is some curiosity about what Solowheel has been up to, and I will do my best to share developments with the forum when I have time. To correct a few misconceptions: Xtreme with latest firmware is far less governed in terms of speed. I've clocked mine at 15mph. I know this is not the 20mph + that enthusiasts on here tend to crave, but it's certainly not 10mph. Inventist's marketing materials have been a little slow to catch up to updates. ;) The pedals are also a bit stiffer than they were in the past. You still have the angle adjust in combination with the tight spring effect, but it's now striking balance that gives more stability while still giving you the feeling that it's catching you.

The reason we still have lots of customers (especially in Seattle where we have a shop) is because we offer full service that regular folks would come to expect for something marketed as a vehicle. Full year warranty (this is not self-repair, the shop or Inventist HQ will repair for you or replaces it at no cost in certain cases), non-warranty repair service for things like tire tube change, and full training included with purchase. I totally understand why an enthusiast community such as this would care a lot more about raw specs at all costs, but you have to remember that the average Joe wanting to pick one of these up for commuting around town is going to put more value in customer support and confidence in QC, especially for something new and somewhat unknown like a EUC. Not everyone is a tinkerer. ;)

Range: Yes, current 160Wh models are a drawback in this area. Those of us riding them generally don't need more than that, but more range is certainly something I am personally making a big push for (and is in the works). However, I only advocate for more capacity up to the point that it is not negatively affecting ergonomics.

Speaking of enthusiasts, though, there are plenty of us riding Solowheels! I've been at the EUC game for 2.5 years now and I started riding on Airwheel, KingSong 14c, 16b(840Wh) and have ridden many many others. They are all fun, for sure, but there is a lot to be said for ergonomics and something very deeply unique about the balancing aspects of the Solowheel firmware (especially the new version). Once mastered, you develop a much more casual riding stance and it feels more like a bouncy pendulum that you're throwing around beneath you. It's more like it's connected to your body whereas other wheels feel like you're balancing on a small perfectly flat platform with a rigid stance. The drawback is that uneven surface and drop offs take a bit more skill to manage, but like anything, you get used to it. The new version has stiffer pedals than before, and there is no issue of pedals dipping into the ground. It's certainly a matter of preference, so those who are used to "stiff" firmware are naturally going to be more resistant to this concept. But there are some very real advantages - wonderful ones that I would have trouble giving up altogether.

Anyone in Seattle is more than welcome to stop by and say hi! I host fairly regular meetups on Sundays. All brands are welcome, so come and geek out with me and the rest of the crew.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SeattleEUC/

44 minutes ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

Hey @SeattleAbarth!

Cool to meet you too! 

I know there is some curiosity about what Solowheel has been up to, and I will do my best to share developments with the forum when I have time. To correct a few misconceptions: Xtreme with latest firmware is far less governed in terms of speed. I've clocked mine at 15mph. I know this is not the 20mph + that enthusiasts on here tend to crave, but it's certainly not 10mph. Inventist's marketing materials have been a little slow to catch up to updates. ;) The pedals are also a bit stiffer than they were in the past. You still have the angle adjust in combination with the tight spring effect, but it's now striking balance that gives more stability while still giving you the feeling that it's catching you.

The reason we still have lots of customers (especially in Seattle where we have a shop) is because we offer full service that regular folks would come to expect for something marketed as a vehicle. Full year warranty (this is not self-repair, the shop or Inventist HQ will repair for you or replaces it at no cost in certain cases), non-warranty repair service for things like tire tube change, and full training included with purchase. I totally understand why an enthusiast community such as this would care a lot more about raw specs at all costs, but you have to remember that the average Joe wanting to pick one of these up for commuting around town is going to put more value in customer support and confidence in QC, especially for something new and somewhat unknown like a EUC. Not everyone is a tinkerer. ;)

Range: Yes, current 160Wh models are a drawback in this area. Those of us riding them generally don't need more than that, but more range is certainly something I am personally making a big push for (and is in the works). However, I only advocate for more capacity up to the point that it is not negatively affecting ergonomics.

Speaking of enthusiasts, though, there are plenty of us riding Solowheels! I've been at the EUC game for 2.5 years now and I started riding on Airwheel, KingSong 14c, 16b(840Wh) and have ridden many many others. They are all fun, for sure, but there is a lot to be said for ergonomics and something very deeply unique about the balancing aspects of the Solowheel firmware (especially the new version). Once mastered, you develop a much more casual riding stance and it feels more like a bouncy pendulum that you're throwing around beneath you. It's more like it's connected to your body whereas other wheels feel like you're balancing on a small perfectly flat platform with a rigid stance. The drawback is that uneven surface and drop offs take a bit more skill to manage, but like anything, you get used to it. The new version has stiffer pedals than before, and there is no issue of pedals dipping into the ground. It's certainly a matter of preference, so those who are used to "stiff" firmware are naturally going to be more resistant to this concept. But there are some very real advantages - wonderful ones that I would have trouble giving up altogether.

Anyone in Seattle is more than welcome to stop by and say hi! I host fairly regular meetups on Sundays. All brands are welcome, so come and geek out with me and the rest of the crew.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SeattleEUC/

Great post. Nice to see that you understand the enthusiast market too and our reluctance to embrace the Solowheel. But like you say, there is a market for your product and you're fulfilling it. :cheers:

Nice post @Jeffrey Scott Will. Thanks for sharing what you can/know.

As a new rider (wheel is still on order awaiting delivery) I think Solowheel needs to make an 'Xtreme' effort to update their materials with updated specs and highlighting their strengths (as you have done here). If the wheel isn't 10mph anymore then that should be updated immediately. Shout about Solowheel QC procedures, reliability, and safety.

Personally, as I shopped around and learned about EUC's I came across the Solowheel offerings, laughed a bit at the spec, shuddered at the price, and moved on never to return. Yet I was a great target customer looking for safety over speed (but not turtle speed), a balance of ergonomics and specs, and good manufacturer support to enhance wheel longevity.

The price is still hard to swallow and the battery capacity/range honestly inexcusable and in most cases unusable. I'd likely still have passed. But I'd have had a closer look.

16 hours ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

Curious, how different is it vs. the softest mode ("learning mode") of King Songs, for example? At a quick thought, it sounds just like the soft-modes available in many wheels, but I guess there are tiny differences that make or break the riding feel... personally not a fan of the really soft modes (the "comfortable mode" of Firewheel was horrible), but I've actually noticed that riding in the "middle" stiffness ("Riding mode") of KS16 I can accelerate far easier in steep uphills (calibrating the pedals to have a small lean backwards also helped) and it really isn't too soft for me, but then again, probably the rider weight also affects this, and many people say that Riding mode is too soft for them.

2 hours ago, esaj said:

Curious, how different is it vs. the softest mode ("learning mode") of King Songs, for example? At a quick thought, it sounds just like the soft-modes available in many wheels, but I guess there are tiny differences that make or break the riding feel... personally not a fan of the really soft modes (the "comfortable mode" of Firewheel was horrible), but I've actually noticed that riding in the "middle" stiffness ("Riding mode") of KS16 I can accelerate far easier in steep uphills (calibrating the pedals to have a small lean backwards also helped) and it really isn't too soft for me, but then again, probably the rider weight also affects this, and many people say that Riding mode is too soft for them.

@Ando Melkonyan recently convinced me to try the soft modes again and I enjoyed a 15 mile ride yesterday on my re-flashed MSuper, in the softest mode. It was actually quite enjoyable.

What really fascinated me was what Ando said - he gets much more range out of his battery when riding in soft mode. This seems to make sense since the motor is not making as many aggressive adjustments (consuming power) as would be necessary in hard mode. I'm going to experiment with this for awhile.

Archived