IPS ZERO

John Eucist

My thoughts from my 7km ride with ips Zero today.

first stop at the hardware store and got a small black cover for the charging hole, even got it for free after showing the clerk the ips Zero and my not so awesome riding skills (I can ride forward, turn left and right and stop).

Zero is noisy, guessing its from the tire design and the tire is all new. At low speeds tho its quite silent.

Zero is vibrating at higher speeds, guessing again a new tire issue. Kept checking my feets since it felt like I was shaking off the pedals abit.

Lights are fun. My previous eu didnt have any lights or bluetooth stuff, Ips 122.

I can tilt it sideways alot without it hitting the pavement or scraping it, something I was abit concerned about since Ive managed to to it with my other 16" wheel.

going to try it out for a 20+ km ride tomorrow and see if I can get that tire wear'd down abit to check if the noise etc will go away.

• Upvote 1

first stop at the hardware store and got a small black cover for the charging hole, even got it for free after showing the clerk the ips Zero and my not so awesome riding skills (I can ride forward, turn left and right and stop).

What does your black cover look like? I've been wondering if I could get one myself...could you post a picture? 

Guys, does the tyre pressure has anything to do with performance of the wheel? Guess it does a lot because I can feel that the weight is shifting from side to side and it's impossible to stand on it. I am 70 kg and I put pressure in the wheel 2.4 bar. Is that the optimum? I feel I'm riding a horse and not a friking wheel

Pump it up to 3 or 3.5 bar i'd recommend

I have pumped it to 3.5. Perfect. 

50Min later I can go forward,  turn back in spaces no smaller than 1.5 m wide, jump of the sidewalk and jump back on a small sidewalk no taller than 5cm. 

After my 7km ride today I had the following experiences:

- the app doesn't reconnect automatically when the wheel turns off. There is no historic saved so you can see why it power off or when was overpowered. Still a lot to work on. 

- I constantly hear a noise like something  gets scratched inside 

-130wh I guess is to small since on the grass is a pain in the ass to ride it since there is not enough power to accelerate 

- it happen 3 times to over power the EUC and it made a strong noise like is grinding something but did not power off. I just felt a kick but was easy to balance back. 

- when speed limit was set to 12 km, when reach the max speed it beeps constantly and then it tilts back that you almost get off, very dificult to not slide off, so quite hard to accelerate more. :) dI'd not get the same feeling when speed was set for 20 km. 

More feedback to come

Edited by Paul Panait
  • Upvote 3

@Paul Panait, do u have the odometer at least on the app? I hope so.

when u get back on the sidewalk, do u Jump back on it ? 

So u mean that u constantly need to pair the device each time u turn it on? 

Thank you for your feedback.

thanks everyone for their feedback !

@Paul Panait, do u have the odometer at least on the app? I hope so.

when u get back on the sidewalk, do u Jump back on it ? 

So u mean that u constantly need to pair the device each time u turn it on? 

Thank you for your feedback.

thanks everyone for their feedback !

Hi,

Yes it has an odometer, but is not entirely accurate since if you need to reset the wheel (aka you fall off) you muSt stop, close the app, open it again and then pair device. Sometimes you just don't, like I have done for half of the time being out. 

Whe I jump on the sidewalk I push on it anf then hold it between the legs to get a bit of lift while jumping and lean the body forward for extra acceleration on the device. Same as the bike only that here I don't need the momentum before the jump since I can just accelerate whenever in order to get it. 

Did not tried to jump over 5 cm high, or not yet because in the place where I play I need to turn very sharp :) the sidewalk is 1m wide and then bush/ wall. 

Screenshot_2015-10-17-18-51-57.png

Screenshot_2015-10-17-18-52-23.png

Screenshot_2015-10-17-18-52-34.png

- it happen 3 times to over power the EUC and it made a strong noise like is grinding something but did not power off. I just felt a kick but was easy to balance back.

Did the power cut out during hard acceleration? When I was in Shanghai last week I suggested that they limit the 30kph mode to the 32cell (260/340Wh) versions only, IMO 16 cells for this speed is simply not safe.  

Did the power cut out during hard acceleration? When I was in Shanghai last week I suggested that they limit the 30kph mode to the 32cell (260/340Wh) versions only, IMO 16 cells for this speed is simply not safe.  

The best part is that the power did not cut out. It just made a grinding sound for 2-3 seconds and gave me the sensation of over inclining forward. However was easy to recover since the EUC's gyro went back to normal very fast and rebalanced the wheel. 

I guess to have the 30 km set for the 260Wh models would be a good idea. 

Tomorrow I'll  go for a maximum drive to try to deplete the battery. I'll keep you posted. 

I have one week to master this device so it's start paying for itself as it was originally intended. 

uh oh. Went through rain today and could not turn the wheel off afterwards! :( 30 minutes later I was able to turn it off.. Im worried the internals are soaked. Are there instructions for disassembling the machine somewhere? I should be more careful :mellow:

Did anyone get the headlight function to work? Its shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSB8xYuY-As. But the button does not work in my android app.

Edited by Volker Behrends

Did anyone get the headlight function to work? Its shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSB8xYuY-As. But the button does not work in my android app.

When I try to use the head lamp button in the app says that it's not available. 

The first time I connected to it the "light" function did not work, but I restarted the app and the wheel and it's worked ever since.

Does anybody know what the 4.1.2 software update does? [Updates are performed in-app]

Edited by csmyers

Just bear in mind, if this is your first wheel the way you're thinking about driving euc will be different in just a couple of weeks. (I had all kinds of theories like: if I hold my feet like this etc etc.) 

How many of you early adopters have driven other EUC? 

uh oh. Went through rain today and could not turn the wheel off afterwards! :( 30 minutes later I was able to turn it off.. Im worried the internals are soaked. Are there instructions for disassembling the machine somewhere? I should be more careful :mellow:

One thing I've noticed working with the Firewheel mainboards is that it seems that the power button works in "reverse" than what you would expect... If you power up the mainboard (by attaching battery cables) without the power-button connector being attached, it actually turns on as soon as it gets power. So it would seem that the logic is "no connection" (ie. button "open") -> power on and when the pins are connected, it's power off. But maybe in this case it's the reverse, if there was water somewhere shorting the connection, keeping it powered..? If the button isn't the latching type, then it maybe works more like ATX-motherboards and such, where the button just shorts the pins while being pressed and there's some other logic that handles shutdown / power up (and the mainboard is actually always powered, unless disconnected from the power source).

Just guessing really ;)

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 2

The first time I connected to it the "light" function did not work, but I restarted the app and the wheel and it's worked ever since.

Does anybody know what the 4.1.2 software update does? [Updates are performed in-app]

Which version do you use? Android or iOS? I have the Android 1.0.0.18 version and the headlight function does not work after any amount of restarts :(

I did the firmware upgrade.. wheel still working. But it took 5 minutes and you have to restart the wheel after. No idea what they changed

Just bear in mind, if this is your first wheel the way you're thinking about driving euc will be different in just a couple of weeks. (I had all kinds of theories like: if I hold my feet like this etc etc.) 

How many of you early adopters have driven other EUC? 

I have driven ~100km on an ips Lhotz.

Edited by Volker Behrends

@Viktiga this is my first EUC so I have nothing to compare with and just learned how to use it, basically. Also I have rode 20 km since I got it. Not an expert so this just novice feedback. Also I have noticed that is very painful for the feet to just stand and I have no idea on how to move my legs without loosing balance, unless I get to a full stop. 

However, today haf the first face plant :(

Reaction of the130wh ips zero: It lacks power therefore:

- I was trying to go up a 7% incline for about 30 m long. When I got up, the battery was drained according to the app. It start beeping then the pedals tilted up and then got to a full stop. Have tried to keep accelerating but it just stoped. Made me climb off, which was nice. After a restart and a 2 min break I still had 59%battery left. So kept going 5 more km. 

- If you try to accelerate easy is fine and if you overpower it, it makes the grinding noise 1-2sec and then it comes back to normal so you can regain balance, however

- I have tried to accelerate to full power as fast as possible so I have properly overpowered the EUC and that send me face plant instantly, same grinding noise but it didn't stop until the wheel shut down itself, so just don't do it :) it hurt and not just my ego.  

- the battery did sustain a trip of ~10km before being completely drained. 

- I have tried to climb down from sidewalk to grass and since it didn't have proper adherence to the ground it tossed me on the back as well. Fortunately my tushy could take the beating :)  When the wheel is up from the ground for less than a sec, it spins super fast with no control as shown in video. Same happens when overpowered or looses track. 

Ps: how do I upload a video (15sec on my phone is like 32 mb and I can upload a max of 3mb apparently)?

• Upvote 1

I have pumped it to 3.5. Perfect. 

50Min later I can go forward,  turn back in spaces no smaller than 1.5 m wide, jump of the sidewalk and jump back on a small sidewalk no taller than 5cm. 

After my 7km ride today I had the following experiences:

You are a quick learner @Paul Panait !! B)   Please keep reporting your progress. Can you weigh your wheel -- very interested to see the real weight of the 130Wh version. You report it may be underpowered... perhaps, but for example, when you go from sidewalk to grass, it may also be that you are still learning too that you fell down?  Also, a grinding noise seems not good -- other wheels I rode (Ninebot E+, Firewheel, Solowheel classic, Solowheel xtreme) were all basically silent (except for the 'humming' of the BLDC drive). I wonder what it is.

Anyway, have fun and be careful in the beginning B)

I rode my Zero up a pretty big hill yesterday to test the performance. It made it to the top with ease (we're talking almost 40* incline) and I started riding on flat land when suddenly it just stopped and wouldn't turn back on. I thought it had overheated, but 6+ hours later it's still not turning on. I tried to charge it but the bluetooth didn't come on.

I emailed Tony and he told me to send him a video that he'll send to R&D. So he should be getting back to me today...

Meanwhile, I've bought some tools to try and disassemble this thing. We'll see what happens...

7You are a quick learner @Paul Panait !! B)   Please keep reporting your progress. Can you weigh your wheel -- very interested to see the real weight of the 130Wh version. You report it may be underpowered... perhaps, but for example, when you go from sidewalk to grass, it may also be that you are still learning too that you fell down?  Also, a grinding noise seems not good -- other wheels I rode (Ninebot E+, Firewheel, Solowheel classic, Solowheel xtreme) were all basically silent (except for the 'humming' of the BLDC drive). I wonder what it is.

Anyway, have fun and be careful in the beginning B)

thanks @Daan it was super useful to read all the previous posts amd they where super nice, so I have never used the strap and learned directly to jump on it. ?

Regarding tte grass fall, I know that the fact I'm a newby is not the reason. The wheel lost the proper grip on the track.

This is exactly the noise it made and it react in the same way. it literally tossed grass couple of meters away. I felt it just runing from under me.   https://youtu.be/tdWxadBHayU 

Also ips zero 130wh is 9.6kg

Edited by Paul Panait
Comments for video.
  • Upvote 1

I rode my Zero up a pretty big hill yesterday to test the performance. It made it to the top with ease (we're talking almost 40* incline) and I started riding on flat land when suddenly it just stopped and wouldn't turn back on. I thought it had overheated, but 6+ hours later it's still not turning on. I tried to charge it but the bluetooth didn't come on.

I emailed Tony and he told me to send him a video that he'll send to R&D. So he should be getting back to me today...

Meanwhile, I've bought some tools to try and disassemble this thing. We'll see what happens...

Super  sorry to hear that. If you open it, can you please take some pics, also can you tell us what is the protection level against water/sand of the important electric parts, or mechanical ?