IPS ZERO

John Eucist

Guys, many of you mentioned that the on/off button was at the pedal level with no cover on it. 

But most of the videos that I see on YouTube from ipselectricunicycle.com show the button at the top of the device.

so is it depending on the model/battery type?

i ordered the 340wh, I hope the button is at the top.

WAIT. Can someone please clarify something for me..Would really appreciate the help.

Eddie, Yes you are a noob and the best part is that I am a big one as well. :) I just learned last saturday, and the day before that I hated it.

I will take point by point what you have mentioned because the first day when I have tried my EUC I hated it, this is what it really helped me. 

"Its really wobbly and gawd forbid I shift my center of gravity at all"

that is true, make sure that you set the air pressure to 3.5-3.7 bar, it will feel better. In the app, change the setting from comfort to Sport, now it will feel better at the beginning, stiffer is what you are looking for:) set the speed limit to 12km, it will make you feel more comfy. 

"I have to have perfect form, not move my arms, and have perfect footing.", at the beginning try to find a place where you can go longer distance forward. Now, learn from the start how to jump on it: put one foot on, help the wheel to go forward slowly and then jump with the second one on(like on a bike) . Your footing won't be great but you are on it now (holding strap makes a longer learning curve). Try to go forward until you get a hold of it, you will notice that if you try with your toes to dig in the shoes, EUC goes forward, toes up, you brake :). HARDEST part is to put and keep your weight equally on both feet. Turning becomes easy because by going in straight line you will notice that as soon as you let the EUC to incline on one side it just turns, now is a matter to learn how to control the incline. 

step one: learn to jump on it

step2: stand on it and go forward as much as you can

step 3: control how much you lean on the sides

(I rode mine for almost 30km by now, and my footing is still bad at times, shoes really matter)

"the guy turns it on and it goes and stays upright and keeps moving by itself..." Not gonna happen, we have only one wheel because its for experts :P 

that annoying thing where it goes full speed then beeps really loud and stops"  Mine does the same, so let it do that and RUN AWAY & PANIC & SCREAM :P , No, seriously, run away from it, you get bad burning marks, I know.

I can Try to make a small video tomorrow if you want. let me know

Guys, many of you mentioned that the on/off button was at the pedal level with no cover on it. 

But most of the videos that I see on YouTube from ipselectricunicycle.com show the button at the top of the device.

Power button on the top, charging point at pedal level, now cover, just like your laptop charging point :P 

Thanks Viktiga Slomo and Paul! The advice made it a bit easier so far.

Eddie, Yes you are a noob and the best part is that I am a big one as well. :) I just learned last saturday, and the day before that I hated it.

Aha, damn ;--; 

make sure that you set the air pressure to 3.5-3.7 bar, it will feel better. In the app, change the setting from comfort to Sport, now it will feel better at the beginning, stiffer is what you are looking for:) set the speed limit to 12km, it will make you feel more comfy. 

I should definitely check the tire pressure, I was considering that actually. Changing it to sport might help too :o. Already set to `12km so it didnt go crazy when it tipped.

My question is, is it supposed to have any assistance in self balancing side to side?

For example, when I turn it on and do the "Balance adjustment" option in the app, I see that the front and back moves it noticeably and keeps it there, but the horizontal balance option doesn't do anything at all.

And by watching other videos, they seem much more self balancing and forgiving than mine. I'm just curious if it's possible my gyro isn't functioning properly? 

There's a 340Wh version? I thought there's only 130 and 260Wh. At least that's what I gathered from IPS' crowd funding page when Zero was first introduced, or at least I thought this would be the case for the first batch of Zeros.

I just did a more or less full teardown in preparation for the new circuit board I will be receiving to replace my dead one. I took a bunch of very high resolution images and posted them on this imgur album. Enjoy.

This is a great documentation, thank you very much!

What would you do in my place with my ZERO? Give it back and ask IPS to replace it in some weeks by an improved version? Ask Tony to give me some parts? He did not respond on my letter yet.

What would you do in my place with my ZERO? Give it back and ask IPS to replace it in some weeks by an improved version? Ask Tony to give me some parts? He did not respond on my letter yet.

I wish you good luck with Tony.

I don't know if you will get anything but you can ask for the bigger battery pack or a newer model. 

However, good luck with it. 

I am. I just bought an IPS Kahuna K1S 260wh wide tire model for my son. But I bought it from a Taobao seller who is much more responsive and friendlier. I had bad response from Tony and that made me decide not to buy from him and i am pretty sure that he will never understand and just ignore the email you sent to him. So better spam Tony to get a proper reply.

Edited by SlowMo

I just did a more or less full teardown in preparation for the new circuit board I will be receiving to replace my dead one. I took a bunch of very high resolution images and posted them on this imgur album. Enjoy.

Full teardown (high-res images): http://imgur.com/a/AVqN9

You don't want to mess with the balance adjustment settings at all. Think about it: what is there inside that will held it balance left/right? This is a unicycle, and just like a unicycle you have to balance yourself side to side. No assistance. As you ride more you will become more relaxed and not as tense, and it'll appear much easier and smooth to ride as it does in those videos. 

Thanks for photos. It looks like You did huge job. 

• Upvote 1

Full teardown (high-res images): http://imgur.com/a/AVqN9

You don't want to mess with the balance adjustment settings at all. Think about it: what is there inside that will held it balance left/right? This is a unicycle, and just like a unicycle you have to balance yourself side to side. No assistance. As you ride more you will become more relaxed and not as tense, and it'll appear much easier and smooth to ride as it does in those videos. 

Nice teardown, thanks! :) It looks almost as painful to work with as a Firewheel, with the compartments inside... ;):D 

• Upvote 2

I just did a more or less full teardown in preparation for the new circuit board I will be receiving to replace my dead one. I took a bunch of very high resolution images and posted them on this imgur album.

Thanks for sharing. I took a bunch of photos at the factory of the Wheel being assembled that I hadn't got around to posting. 
IPS do a lot of things right but there's definitely room for improvement. Examples are the lack of seals between between control-board casing & wheel-housing; glue is a terrible option for wire-management, clips or Velcro tie-wraps would be so much better. 

When the control-board failed, was it catastrophic—as in you were riding it & the Wheel failed, or degraded performance? What speed were you doing? It will be interesting to know if this is a widespread problem that effects all Zero owners. 

Thanks for sharing. I took a bunch of photos at the factory of the Wheel being assembled that I hadn't got around to posting. IPS do a lot of things right but there's definitely room for improvement. Examples are the lack of seals between between control-board casing & wheel-housing; glue is a terrible option for wire-management, clips or Velcro tie-wraps would be so much better. 

When the control-board failed, was it catastrophic—as in you were riding it & the Wheel failed, or degraded performance? What speed were you doing? It will be interesting to know if this is a widespread problem that effects all Zero owners. 

Thank you. Feedback from such an esteemed member means a lot :) In reassembling I'll see if I can use Velcro ties!

When it failed the wheel lost power over the course of a second or so. Still fast enough for me to enjoy a lovely face plant, but luckily I was riding at about walking speed. I had been riding for about 3 miles or so and I had just come up a big hill, which it rolled up with no obvious strain on the motor or otherwise.

Tony says IPS has redesigned their circuit board, and that he'll be sending me one of those. Hopefully the update addresses this issue, although as of now my problem seems to be a one-off.

Edited by csmyers
  • Upvote 1

Thank you. Feedback from such an esteemed member means a lot :)

Ha, this forum has lots of brilliant contributors; I'm but a shadow compared to the likes of the brainiac colossus of @esaj ;) IPS have been working on the Zero for almost a year, while there's lots to be said in it's favour, they should really have done more on limit testing. They've got so much riding on this model, they can't afford to have a string bad publicity...   

• Upvote 1

Tony says IPS has redesigned their circuit board, and that he'll be sending me one of those. Hopefully the update addresses this issue, although as of now my problem seems to be a one-off.

I suggest that all of you ask for this redesigned board, not just me. And please ask what failed on the board, whether this issue is fixed.

Tony should learn very quickly that he cannot continue keeping this way of communication. He gave me the standard old marketing blague that only I have something to complain.

• Upvote 1

I suggest that all of you ask for this redesigned board, not just me. And please ask what failed on the board, whether this issue is fixed.

Tony should learn very quickly that he cannot continue keeping this way of communication. He gave me the standard old marketing blague that only I have something to complain.

Oh no..  I hope it's only a manufacturing problem and not all zeros are affected.

Unless other people have this issue too I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Tony never said what they changed in the update, maybe they just made it easier to manufacture.

I still think I just had a bad board. As Jason said, they've been working on the Zero for ages, and IPS has been around for many years. Stuff happens.

Edited by csmyers

So sorry to hear shut downs are happening with the Zero. This is completely unacceptable (see my bleeding hand for proof and added drama). I did my research after having a shutdown on a generic wheel and IPS and King Song seemed to have the most reliable models. Tony was great to me when ordering the Lhotz 340 to Australia and assured this was well tested to avoid any possibility of shutting down. Over 2 months riding it and the Lhotz feels like a levitation machine.

My point here is that sudden shutdowns are completely unacceptable. Other manufacturing faults are ok with me but this one is a real threat. Hope IPS can solve this issue since it seems like a design with lots of potential. For the moment, my brother and I are backing off in the purchase of this unit so we greatly appreciate all your posts with useful info form real riders.

• Upvote 1

My point here is that sudden shutdowns are completely unacceptable. Other manufacturing faults are ok with me but this one is a real threat. Hope IPS can solve this issue since it seems like a design with lots of potential. For the moment, my brother and I are backing off in the purchase of this unit so we greatly appreciate all your posts with useful info form real riders.

I want to make clear I did not have a shutdown issue.

Whatever experience you had with your Lhotz, this will be the same, but better in day-to-day use because it's so much lighter.

Your quick power loss seemed equivalent to a shutdown but thanks for clarifying @csmyers.  "When it failed the wheel lost power over the course of a second or so. Still fast enough for me to enjoy a lovely face plant, but luckily I was riding at about walking speed."

When I experienced shutdown at fast walking speed over pavement it did not give me any time to recover because I was leaning fully forward. I'm ok with falling: I've tripped at higher speeds when I was learning and was still able to let the uni roll over while I kept running to recover my balance -or at least dissipate some energy during my fall- but the danger with a possible shutdown is that it is so unexpected that it does not give you any chance to soften the fall.

After chatting with Tony I'm hoping to get the Zero after the issues mentioned in this forum are resolved. Apparently IPS is working on that already. Thanks for sharing your reviews!

After chatting with Tony I'm hoping to get the Zero after the issues mentioned in this forum are resolved. Apparently IPS is working on that already. Thanks for sharing your reviews!

Better wait some more time. The initial production was meant to be sold only in China to get feedback from Chinese customers for bug fixes. The model is still not mature.