IPS ZERO

John Eucist

Super  sorry to hear that. If you open it, can you please take some pics, also can you tell us what is the protection level against water/sand of the important electric parts, or mechanical ? 

That's what I'm trying to work on now. However, I cannot take the pedals off...can you take a look at yours and see if you can find a way? that's the only thing that's stopping me right now.

I got my Zero open after many hours of trying (thanks to Paul for helping). I cannot find an obvious source of my problem (as of right now the wheel is completely unresponsive, and the motor is hard to turn).

However, in taking it apart I noticed some thing you guys might find interesting.

1. Throughout the build, IPS seems to use very high quality screws that are not prone to stripping. I only had one strew strip a little and that was mostly my fault. All of the plastic, too, seems to be very durable.

2. In terms of waterproofing, IPS used liberal amounts of hot glue to cover the electrical connections, where water might get in. However, this makes it much harder to take apart...I don't think I'll be disassembling any further than I already have. Hot glue is also used to hold down many of the wires so they don't move around

3. All the logic for the wheel is held in a tightly sealed aluminum box, ribbed for better heat distribution. I will not be attempting to open this, as this would require removing the hot glue to detach the connections. All of the creases are rubber sealed, but the main hole where wires come out simply has a rubber ring around the opening.

4. Batteries are held on one side of the board while all of the logic is held on the other. IPS designed these to be built with the charger hole side up, starting with the outer plastic shell, adding the batteries, motor, and main board in that order. This means all of the screws I've found have been oriented with the screw head on the same side as the charger connector.

5. Removing the clips on the outer plastic ring was very challenging, but I finally got it starting from the bottom. It's going to make many nasty noises, but most likely you'll be ok. The clips seem to be very durable.

6. The handle is attached on the inside by 4 screws that have also been glued. This means the rubber handle is attached to a piece of aluminum on each side, then the aluminum is held by those screws. 

7. The body comes in a 2/3 1/3 split, with the 1/3 plastic piece being on the charger hole side.

Pictures:C6GFD32.jpgqPb6Ita.jpgjyH48K2.jpg

EDIT: IPS will be sending a new control board on Thursday, no charge.

Edited by csmyers
Added photos
  • Upvote 2

Hi csmyers - I just had this similar problem on my i240+ last thursday. My wheel could not turn on and the wheel cannot freely spin as before. It's as though the gyro has kinda "locked" the wheel. The wheel can still spin but just not a free spin as before. IPS also told me it could be a motherboard problem. shucks.

Did anybody find the zero app on appstore?

Can't find it

for iOS the correct app is called "iamips". I will add more photos in the next few days. 

Also, none of my clips broke, although it sure sounded like they were going to...

• Upvote 1

Is it not the XIMA app?

Nope, it came with different app, specifically for the zero. It's called "zero" for iOS store, I'll upload it to forum when I get home. /edit seems zero or iOS zero ain't on my local AppStore. Might need further search words.

Edited by carniflex

Hi csmyers - I just had this similar problem on my i240+ last thursday. My wheel could not turn on and the wheel cannot freely spin as before. It's as though the gyro has kinda "locked" the wheel. The wheel can still spin but just not a free spin as before. IPS also told me it could be a motherboard problem. shucks.

Interesting. Did IPS offer to send a new control board for you too, or was that not under warranty?

My letter to Tony today:

Dear Tony,

thank you very much for caring.
I received my parcel this morning in the Fedex facility.

I unboxed the "ZERO" and I have seen the following little things (see attached photos):

1. DSCN0918:
This footrest is not aligned.
On the transparent covers there are many scratches of the kind you can see on the photo (top).
There are scratches all around, also on the other side and on the white shells.

2. DSCN0917:
in the hinge of the not aligned footrest there is a band of plastics introduced, obviously in order to cure a little problem.
The other footrest unfolds much easier, and it is perfectly aligned to the body shell.

3. DSCN0916:
Another view on the scratches. There are also spots on the white shell, not to see so much on this side.

4. DSCN0914:
The handle is bent.

5. IMG_4406:
In the application there is neither type nor SN.
The battery is 96% charged, however, 0Wh capacity (this is no capacity which is measured in Ah) and it has no cells
I cannot switch the lights off (I am no more sixteen!)
The "beep"-button does not work.

I did not find a manual.
There is no label, it is nowhere to be seen what I have purchased.

There are some points that could be done better, but today my issue is the state in which the EUC arrived.
I did not try it so far as I would like to hear your opinion before.

Please do not see this as an offense, In the very first beginning things like these happen, i do understand your situation (at least, I believe).

Best regards, Erwin

DSCN0918.JPG

DSCN0917.JPG

IMG_4406.JPG

DSCN0916.JPG

DSCN0914.JPG

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the nice post and photos! Please send more of the entire inside of the wheel if you can :-)

But wow, it does make me appreciate the elegant inner design and cabling of the Solowheel Xtreme B) (http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/801-solowheel-xtreme-partial-take-down-disassembly/)

Pictures:C6GFD32.jpgqPb6Ita.jpg

Edited by Daan

@Daan I guess we need to cut them some slack for the moment at least, these are the very first units that are produced, some of them needed probable rework with our all favorite EUC tool ^_^ "the fine tuning mallet" I hope the cabling will be optimized for the main production.

Interesting. Did IPS offer to send a new control board for you too, or was that not under warranty?

Hi csmyers - IPS offered to change the control board for me as the wheel is barely 2 months old! But I will be bringing the entire wheel to Shanghai instead as it seems almost impossible for me to change it by myself as you might have also seen on the inside that some wires are hot glued to the casing itself. I thought it would be best to have their technicians/engineers do the change for me and I can also test it there and then if it works. Quite disappointed that such thing happened when I was in fact at a traffic light waiting to cross when it kinda died on me.

@Viktiga this is my first EUC so I have nothing to compare with and just learned how to use it, basically. Also I have rode 20 km since I got it. Not an expert so this just novice feedback. Also I have noticed that is very painful for the feet to just stand and I have no idea on how to move my legs without loosing balance, unless I get to a full stop. 

Hehe, the pain will go away, eventually.:) 

Can someone do a video review when they are done testing the IPS Zero?

WAIT. Can someone please clarify something for me..Would really appreciate the help.

They IPS Zero is my first EUC and I'm trying super hard to learn but I think I know why this learning curve is so hard.. I tend to fall to one side or the other and balancing is REALLY difficult. Its really wobbly and gawd forbid I shift my center of gravity at all..... I have to have perfect form, not move my arms, and have perfect footing. 
I got about 200 feet today as a new record for me and then decided to look at some "first time rider" kind of videos and saw this

https://youtu.be/SYtXT0Om9Vs?t=54s
Where the guy turns it on and it goes and stays upright and keeps moving by itself... IS MINE SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?
If I did the same thing, it would fall over INSTANTLY on the side and do that annoying thing where it goes full speed then beeps really loud and stops.

So now Im thinking...wtf.. Mine absolutely does not do this. Is it supposed to be totally gyroscopic both foreward back and side to side? Mine seems to not have horizontal balance.....Which explains why I'm falling off the side constantly.

It's totally possible I'm just a noob and doing something wrong. But..... it also seems like mine should do this too................ and might be broken and I'm about to be really salty :/  I also see people in first time videos flailing their arms and like wiggling their waist and they're still moving fine and I have to have perfect form just to stay balanced. I can't imagine trying to jump on or use 1 foot like people do .-. that might just be a learned thing but it doesn't seem like the people in these videos have a hard time with it or getting on is something that should take weeks to learn. The other videos make riding it look fairly simple, yea it might take a while to ride and turn well but simply being on it is difficult for me and it looks much simpler in videos.

Can take a vid if I need to .-.?

Edited by Eddie Carlton

WAIT. Can someone please clarify something for me..

They IPS Zero is my first EUC and I'm trying super hard to learn but I think I know why this learning curve is so hard.. I tend to fall to one side or the other and balancing is REALLY difficult. Its really wobbly and gawd forbid I shift my center of gravity at all.....
I got about 200 feet today as a new record for me and then decided to look at some "first time rider" kind of videos and saw this

https://youtu.be/SYtXT0Om9Vs?t=54s
Where the guy turns it on and it goes and stays upright and keeps moving by itself... IS MINE SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?
If I did the same thing, it would fall over INSTANTLY on the side and do that annoying thing where it goes full speed then beeps really loud and stops.

Don't worry, the wheel in the video has two wheels. I would say it took me at least 5-10 hours of driving time before i felt comfortable riding it on the streets, turning etc.

• Upvote 1

WAIT. Can someone please clarify something for me..

They IPS Zero is my first EUC and I'm trying super hard to learn but I think I know why this learning curve is so hard.. I tend to fall to one side or the other and balancing is REALLY difficult. Its really wobbly and gawd forbid I shift my center of gravity at all..... I have to have perfect form, not move my arms, and have perfect footing. 

Try to have somebody assist you by holding on to their hand and do this routine until you develop your balance and be able to let go.

You will find an example by going at the 2:00 minute mark of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QZrWqlGw0E

Here is another example:

Edited by SlowMo

@Viktiga this is my first EUC so I have nothing to compare with and just learned how to use it, basically. Also I have rode 20 km since I got it. Not an expert so this just novice feedback. Also I have noticed that is very painful for the feet to just stand and I have no idea on how to move my legs without loosing balance, unless I get to a full stop.

Also I would use shoes that are a bit "harder".

I started out with runners like these:

NikeEclipse.thumb.jpg.3ce31fad45442c4ae5

but my feet were killing me so I switched to these:

Nike-Zoom-Bruin-SB-White-Canvas-001.thum

Much better.

Edited by Viktiga