IPS ZERO

John Eucist

I want to make clear I did not have a shutdown issue.

My point is that IPS does not communicate the problem even if they are being asked directly.

I got simply no answer when I asked if this is a diode or another component and whether the problem is fixed.

I am pretty concerned. A burnt MOSFET is something else, however, if a passive component is burnt by overcurrent or overvoltage there is normally a reason , and the reason is not a "bad" board.

Again, we all should work on Tony's way to communicate with us.

Issues are:

Is the problem fixed?

Did they already modify board or code?

How does IPS handle shutdowns?

IPS is still in the "less dangerous" category here: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/478-brands-with-without-unexpected-shutdowns-new-buyers-look-here/

Edited by micro

My initial thoughts after riding the Zero 260 for about an hour are:

• pedals are titled slightly inwards like Ninebot and KingSong
  • motor sound a tad too loud for my liking
  • vibrations can be felt at the pedals when at high speeds (about 16km/h). Not sure if its because of the tires. It's a different tire used in the i240+ that i have. 
  • not sure what's the difference between sport and comfort mode though. 

Anyone here has similar experience? 

Edited by Shane Tan

My initial thoughts after riding the Zero 260 for about an hour are:

• pedals are titled slightly inwards like Ninebot and KingSong
  • motor sound a tad too loud for my liking
  • vibrations can be felt at the pedals when at high speeds (about 16km/h). Not sure if its because of the tires. It's a different tire used in the i240+ that i have. 
  • not sure what's the difference between sport and comfort mode though. 

Anyone here has similar experience? 

I agree. Vibrations stem possibly from the tyre, mine is not balanced. There is a static and dynamic imbalance (hopefully the rim is perfect).

I could hear the imbalance when I was going to find the reason for the "grinding" that had been reported here. It comes fro the labyrinth which is to close to the tire. I took a rasp to modify this. The labyrinth is a trap for water spray. It is also the reason why solid items stay for some time in the enclosure.

grinding.jpg

3. All the logic for the wheel is held in a tightly sealed aluminum box, ribbed for better heat distribution. I will not be attempting to open this, as this would require removing the hot glue to detach the connections. All of the creases are rubber sealed, but the main hole where wires come out simply has a rubber ring around the opening.

qPb6Ita.jpg

I took a look at this box. On this photo of csmyers (mine looks very similar): The fixation points of the enclosure does not fit the counterparts of the box. The brave mechanics forced the alignment. Consequently, the covers of these box are open, a slit is visible. This is true for either side.

The component that was burnt in your ZERO seems to be a transient voltage suppressor 82 volts from ON Semiconductor. I did not find the data sheet, maybe it is customized item. However, on other types of this manufacturer the marking 82A is to be read as 82 volt, minimum 80. The MOSFETs are P75NF75 from ST (75 volts max). There is a 30 amps fuse at the input, it is rated 32 volts.

In case you are looking inside your toy, please disconnect at first the battery connector (the yellow one, top left).

My ips Zero just resetted the milage setting today. It didnt however change the custom name I put on it, just resetted milage. Was abit frustrating, last time i checked I had 80+ km on it.

So back to unlocking it again I guess, not that Im riding 30km/h anyways, usually end up around 18-22 km/h.

IPS ZERO 340 Wh 

Weight 10.5 kg

I haven't any scratches, it looks like brand new and good quality product; zero came with battery 100%, no problem with connection to android app, quick response.

I can't go for ride now because it's raining and it looks like I have to pump it up.

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2015 at 2:02 PM, Bob said:

IPS ZERO 340 Wh 

[...]

I can't go for ride now because it's raining and it looks like I have to pump it up.

Do you need to remove parts of the shell for pumping it up?

Edited by Mono

1 hour ago, Paul Panait said:

Guys, tomorrow I'll try in public around the city. Let's see how that is going

It's a bit like a graceful dance the way you wheel around with your suitcase trolley; I like that you are able to use it as a prop to keep yourself on the wheel while at a standstill.  Have you ever had the suitcase hit a snag unexpectedly and if so did it pull you off balance?

On 28/10/2015, 20:50:06, RichieV said:

It's a bit like a graceful dance the way you wheel around with your suitcase trolley; I like that you are able to use it as a prop to keep yourself on the wheel while at a standstill.  Have you ever had the suitcase hit a snag unexpectedly and if so did it pull you off balance?

Thank you Richie, if you hit something, unless the suitcase turns on sides and stops rolling you don't loose your balance. But you loose it as soon as you have it on the wrong hand when you make sharp turns. It should be in the same side as the turn ( turn to the right-you hold it on the right hand ) basically it's quite easy to forsee if that will happen and you just slow down. 

It is nice tu use it as a prop, but be really careful to not press down the handle bar :) that was unexpected couple of times :) 

1 hour ago, micro said:

The Austrian importer (see here: http://en.iamips.com/contact.html) of IPS wrote me an E-mail where he states that http://www.iamips.com/ is the manufacturer and http://ipselectricunicycle.com/ is a reseller.

This would explain our "Tony"-advetures.

Wow... I'm stunned... You mean to tell me this whole time we weren't dealing with IPS!?