New Winter Mask

master255

I invented a new kind of winter mask. It is smooth, clear mask with no holes for the eyes and nose, but with the handle from below, which would keep it as a carnival mask during the ride. Material Plastic - the thickness of 1-1.5 mm. Ideally 1.5mm. because when you carry on the mask will be a lot of pressure. Thickness affects the weight.
It is essential. The mask should be light. Shape mask should be possible to protect the head from the wind and still be comfortable to carry because the mask is large (not a purse).
This mask is necessary for comfortable movement on the mono-wheel in the cold season.
  - It is more convenient than the motorcycle helmet - size, ease and visibility.
  - It is more convenient than the ski mask - visibility, greater protection from wind, ease of carrying.
  - It is more convenient than a balaclava - comfort and freedom at the turn of the head. Much greater protection from wind and snow.
And it is needed only for a mono-wheel, because only when you go on the wheel arms are free and you can keep the mask in hands, and in the winter season (at the most snow and ice). All other modes of transport take arms.
I built something that should be similar to the one from scrap materials. However, the handle should be fully transparent. And on the mask would be desirable to have more neodymium magnet that would mask stuck to the jacket. And the top of the holes should not be. The handle should be curved outward, not inward mask - so easier to hold. The handle should be shorter.

20161116_113935.jpg

20161116_114137.jpg

That's an interesting idea, nicely implemented for a first go at it... Personally, I like both my arms free when riding, but if it could be tucked in to a jacket or body armour so it held itself in place, that's got real potential :) It has another advantage over crash-helmets - if it ever does get fogged up you can just just turn it round to clear it ! Although of course it is not protecting your head...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey hey! I first winter monowheel rider in the world! For more than 600 km. I passed this winter. 100km. in week! Stable! Of course this is possible only because of my winter mask!
Without falling!
My total mileage of about 5500 km. in a year.

25122013-29.jpg

9 hours ago, master255 said:

Hey hey! I first winter monowheel rider in the world! For more than 600 km.

Umm, I think EUC Extreme was riding during winter already in late 2014... ;)  The video's from January 2015:

@esaj, You understand me wrong. I mean I was the first rider who rides regularly in the city in winter. I am the first one who rides in the winter as well as summer. In a week I drive about 100 km. winter in -15 degrees Celsius. And while I do not freeze, because I use this mask. With this mask, I can go into any store, restaurant, cafe. No other winter mask does not allow it.
I think this is a revolution in the methods of transportation in winter.

26 minutes ago, master255 said:

@esaj, You understand me wrong. I mean I was the first rider who rides regularly in the city in winter. I am the first one who rides in the winter as well as summer. In a week I drive about 100 km. winter in -15 degrees Celsius. And while I do not freeze, because I use this mask. With this mask, I can go into any store, restaurant, cafe. No other winter mask does not allow it.

Respect ?

Although ....may I suggest the bus, or the underground, or move somewhere warmer?. I don't even get out of bed if it's -15. Hell, I can't ever remember being somewhere where it got to -15.  I debate riding if it is less than +15! ?

I'd ask you to film some of your journey through that slush, but you'd probably get frostbite and loose some fingers.

here's an idea for Moscow mask 2.0.  This one has one added feature, it clears the sidewalk of ALL pedestrians:

263b632fb4.jpeg

No?

@Smoother, Yes. You surely understand my idea of the mask! In addition to a transparent mask (as I have) it is possible to make some cool! It is even possible to do different! And to change every day. Here a large field for creativity. And I already know what I'd like. But unfortunately this industry manufacture of masks is not very developed and not available.
In addition to the mask has a number of requirements on the size, weight, opacity, thickness of plastic that are slightly affect the appearance. In other words - it should not just be a mask, and must be "super mask"! Mask 2.0. Level true Batman :-)

19 hours ago, master255 said:

FYI... I ride regularly all year round - spring, summer, autumn and winter. 

To be fair, our winter drops to about a shocking +4°C (40°F). But it's still winter. 

And yes, I do feel for all of you silly buggers who live in places that freeze over - I understand what it's like to miss wheeling, but my issue is where I am, not how deep is the snow.

2 hours ago, master255 said:

@The Fat Unicyclist, I recommend you use my winter mask. With it, you will have maximum comfort.

But, if I'm wearing a mask, how can I eat sausage rolls while I'm wheeling? 

On December 15, 2016 at 4:09 AM, master255 said:

.... With this mask, I can go into any store, restaurant, cafe. No other winter mask does not allow it.

I don't understand.  With a full face skateboard helmet, or other, with a built-in mask you can't go into a store, or restaurant? You would not be wearing the helmet in the restaurant.

On 12/15/2016 at 1:39 AM, Smoother said:

Respect ?

Although ....may I suggest the bus, or the underground, or move somewhere warmer?. I don't even get out of bed if it's -15. Hell, I can't ever remember being somewhere where it got to -15.  I debate riding if it is less than +15! ?

<snip>

I usually debate whether it's worth leaving the house when it's colder than 55 degrees. You guys are crazy :)

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I usually debate whether it's worth leaving the house when it's colder than 55 degrees. You guys are crazy :)

But when does it ever that cold in southern California? 

4 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But when does it ever that cold in southern California? 

Fortunately it only dips colder at night. Rarely in the year does it go below 60. Believe me, it's a perk that I really appreciate.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:
On 12/15/2016 at 4:39 AM, Smoother said:

<snip>

East Coast Comment: "Nothing beats riding an EUC in freezing weather!" :cry2: 

West Coast Comment: "Nothing beats riding an EUC during an earthquake!"

:w00t2::roflmao::w00t2:

Back to @master255 winter face protection idea I am thinking about ordering this product! I like the combination of a face/ear covering with built in goggles. 

Also since my plow truck is now broken thanks to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's jinx he placed on me I can use it with my snowblower. 

Did I mention "I hate winter!":cry2::furious:

IMG_0466.JPG

26 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Back to @master255 winter face protection idea I am thinking about ordering this product! I like the combination of a face/ear covering with built in goggles. 

Also since my plow truck is now broken thanks to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's jinx he placed on me I can use it with my snowblower. 

Did I mention "I hate winter!":cry2::furious:

IMG_0466.JPG

That looks like it will fog up in a second on a winters day ! And people might wonder if you are riding an EUC or implementing a radiation decontamination zone :) 

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That looks like it will fog up in a second on a winters day ! And people might wonder if you are riding an EUC or implementing a radiation decontamination zone :) 

Actually it does not. The nose and mouth vents are suppose to direct all my stinky breath away from the goggles. Just in case you are correct I plan to spray the goggles with antifogging spray and use a strong mouthwash!:P

IMG_0467.JPG

I hope it doesn't fog, but my experience with these kind of masks tell me it will, even if designed not to...

If so, I suspect you'll get frustrated with having to apply fog spray every other day, and then trying to get it smear free after doing so...

I got an Oxford City Anti-fog insert for my helmet, and it's excellent - apply once and it's fine forever. Although that won't fit your goggles, you could cut it down so it did...

13 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Actually it does not. The nose and mouth vents are suppose to direct all my stinky breath away from the goggles. Just in case you are correct I plan to spray the goggles with antifogging spray and use a strong mouthwash!:P

You just need to add these to the inside of the mask, and you're off to being a millionaire:

giphy.gif

Edit: Actually, inside and outside... that way the inside ones will wipe off any fog, and the outside ones make it possible to ride during rain

Archived