Inmotion V8 Official Released Version - Youtube Video

z3n

Inmotion V8 Official Released Version (Video in Chinese)

There are some changes compared with the previous sample version. What do you guys think? Are they pros or cons?

Pretty cool - they even made the tire rim matte black to blend in more instead of stainless steel silver.  It also appears they dropped the rectangular charging port in favour of the more common round three pronged port.  It's too bad they don't include a nice wheel stand with the unit.  That's a basic accessory that most don't come with.

Awesome looking but did anyone see it took 2 guys to muscle the side shell off? Then there was an edit in the video and Presto...the shell easily pops off? @The Fat Unicyclist Yep...I did not understand a word. Adding to my bucket list: learn to speak another language ?

Guess no one is familiar with the mic section of Google Translate(?) *smh*.....

Love the V8 manual LED disable function!! (holding down the handle button + momentary press of the power button)

I was hoping for the same charge port as my V5 so I could potentially use either V8 or V5 charger for either wheel (ie. leave one at work, one at home, etc), but actually,.......

Looks as though they've adopted a more standard, 3-pin plug, the one that's used by the infamous "hoverboard"/self-balancing wheel,....... so one could feasibly get a custom-built fast charger (albeit a lot bulkier), say DC 84V 2.5A output, via a supplier like AliExpress (unfortunately, "hoverboard"/SBW stock chargers seem to be 42V).

And, as @Jason McNeil previously stated, the V8 connected to the InMotion app shows wheel temperature underneath the speedometer (~27:00), a must for hot climate and heavy rider scenarios.

8 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

It's too bad they don't include a nice wheel stand with the unit.  That's a basic accessory that most don't come with.

I believe you can just use the hard white foam within the packaging box to be used as a stand. :D

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Awesome looking but did anyone see it took 2 guys to muscle the side shell off? Then there was an edit in the video and Presto...the shell easily pops off

Definitely NOT as "Removable" as advertised to me. -_-

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It was all Greek to me...  :P

LOL

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Love the V8 manual LED disable function!! (holding down the handle button + momentary press of the power button)

I was hoping for the same charge port as my V5 so I could potentially use either V8 or V5 charger for either wheel (ie. leave one at work, one at home, etc), but actually,.......

Looks as though they've adopted a more standard, 3-pin plug, the one that's used by the infamous "hoverboard"/self-balancing wheel,....... so one could feasibly get a custom-built fast charger (albeit a lot bulkier), say DC 84V 2.5A output, via a supplier like AliExpress (unfortunately, "hoverboard"/SBW stock chargers seem to be 42V).

And, as @Jason McNeil previously stated, the V8 connected to the InMotion app shows wheel temperature underneath the speedometer (~27:00), a must for hot climate and heavy rider scenarios.

Yup, that manual LED disable function rocks! It seems that the sample version of V8 also has this feature as well.

Let me point out some of the changes then:

• Power button has correct direction and positioned flatter and neater with the outer case now. A Pro to me.
  • Charging port on the wheel has nicer rubber protection. A Pro to me.
  • Custom ankle pads included, but NO soft pads for the battery and retractable handle parts as @Jason McNeil previously stated.
  • Thicker dirt protection, not as fragile as the sample version one. A Pro to me.
  • Has Kenda Edgy tire now. Seems more stable to ride but how do you guys experienced riders think?
  • Retractable handle is still wiggling. Really doesn't like this kind of design. A Con to me.
  • Matte Black surface now under the Stop Spinning Button area. A Pro to me.
  • Matte Black tire rim now just as @HunkaHunkaBurningLove stated. A Pro to me.
  • Short bolts holding the LED covers. Short metal bolts twisting on plastic. Definitely will get loosen out as time goes by. A Con to me.
  • The batteries are still NOT as "removable" as advertised. A Con to me.
  • Bluetooth connection seems quite slow especially for upgrading firmware. 119KB Firmware upgrade needs almost 3 minutes. A Con to me.
  • You have to restart both the Wheel and the app on your smartphone after upgrading firmware.

Anything left out? :P

4 hours ago, iMaster said:

What's the width of Kenda Edgy tire? 1.95" or 2.125"?

at 15:02 we can see written on the tire 16 x 2.125, nice (OK, I still would prefer 2.35 or 2.5)!

6 hours ago, Niko said:

at 15:02 we can see written on the tire 16 x 2.125, nice (OK, I still would prefer 2.35 or 2.5)!

I tried to ride v8 tonight, it seems tight turn more harder than v5f.

Anyway I'm waiting for my new toy and get use to it again

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, iMaster said:

I tried to ride v8 tonight, it seems tight turn more harder than v5f.

Is it because of the new Kenda edgy tire?

23 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

if this design is called a "removeable batterie"...nice...then all KS, Gotway and Ninebots also have removeable batteries :-)

That's what I was saying from the very start :( The two tap in screws for the external cover connecting to inner cover plastic part will get loose in less then 10 removals. Those should have been M2.5 or M3 bolts catching into metal nuts fixed inside of the inner shell. Removing of the shell is clumsy and those clips will break soon or later. Another 4 tap in screws for the battery itself plus removing and ungluing of the LED stripes?!?! :blink: This is terrible TERRIBLE "solution" for removable battery. Hardly doable outside and pretty difficult at home or office ...

2 hours ago, z3n said:

Is it because of the new Kenda edgy tire?

i would think it is more because it is a 16" wheel. The bigger the wheel, the more power you Need for shifting it around....

5 hours ago, HEC said:

That's what I was saying from the very start :( The two tap in screws for the external cover connecting to inner cover plastic part will get loose in less then 10 removals. Those should have been M2.5 or M3 bolts catching into metal nuts fixed inside of the inner shell. Removing of the shell is clumsy and those clips will break soon or later. Another 4 tap in screws for the battery itself plus removing and ungluing of the LED stripes?!?! :blink: This is terrible TERRIBLE "solution" for removable battery. Hardly doable outside and pretty difficult at home or office ...

Good idea @HEC I totally agree. Not sure why Inmotion's next generation V8 skips corners when it comes to ease of maintenance. At least the V5F+ comes apart with only one man muscling it. Given the expense of the wheel you would think Inmotion would have gone the extra mile! 

6 hours ago, HEC said:

The two tap in screws for the external cover connecting to inner cover plastic part will get loose in less then 10 removals. Those should have been M2.5 or M3 bolts catching into metal nuts fixed inside of the inner shell.

AFAICS are these screws not meant to actually hold the cover, but only to prevent unintended lateral (circular) displacement, e.g. due to vibrations. The cover is already tightly attached without these screws (as we can see from the attempts to remove it). Metal screws+nuts would probably be the inferior choice for this assignment.

1 minute ago, Niko said:

AFAICS are these screws not meant to actually hold the cover, but only to prevent unintended lateral (circular) displacement, e.g. due to vibrations. The cover is already tightly attached without these screws (as we can see from the attempts to remove it). Metal screws+nuts would probably be the inferior choice for this assignment.

I disagree - independent of what's the purpose of any screw or bolt anything designed for repeated removal and re-insert needs to be durable which tap-in screws into semi-soft plastic are anything but ...

1 hour ago, HEC said:

I disagree - independent of what's the purpose of any screw or bolt anything designed for repeated removal and re-insert needs to be durable which tap-in screws into semi-soft plastic are anything but ...

Whether one can do thousands of re-inserts or less than ten, as you predict, depends on the specific material. We will find out rather soon whether your prediction is correct...

These screws are probably not really needed anyway, which, if true, makes an elaborated debate on their durability somewhat moot.

Archived