Inmotion V8 - your thoughts and Impressions ... Now with extensive review included

HEC

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@jrkline rode mine for a bit and liked it so much he offered to buy it from me. That allowed me to buy another one, but this time with the larger battery capacity.

Agreed. If I were actively selling EUCs I'd have an ever present visibility here in the forums. I've seen Dion post to Gotway on Facebook periodically.

i appreciate the info

i just know that he really isn't "INTO" wheels as much as others.... especially jason (who i know does NOT offer GotWay, of course)

i'd love to know the range you get with the bigger battery (after you break it in)

good luck

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

@  @Jason McNeil   does need to get out of Southeast Florida right now because of the oncoming hurricane, Matthew, so maybe he will load up his wheels and calm West and make me a deal on 2

They're shutting down the WeWork office here at 6pm & all of tomorrow :( the storm isn't even hitting Miami. Damned nuisance, was planning on working late this evening.

It might be a good video opportunity, challenge to see how strong a headwind the V8 can ride in :D Just one of the amazing properties that the Wheel that has always fascinated me, that even in a very strong ~60MPH gusts you can still remain upright. I need to research if there's some sort of theoretical MPH phase transition limit between the vertical & horizontal.  

Matthew.10.5.2pm

12 minutes ago, Brian Morris said:

got a hero5 session and slapped it on my wheel.

That's super-smooth footage, are you using a gimble as well, or is that part of the new GoPro software stabilization? 

Saw a demo of the FDR X3000R in Berlin & was so impressed I ordered one from Japan. It's got mechanical stabilization built right into the lens, the BOSS system. Results are pretty good, doesn't have quite the same range as the gimble, but I prefer the flexibility of being able to take from different angles.

40 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

They're shutting down the WeWork office here at 6pm & all of tomorrow :( the storm isn't even hitting Miami. Damned nuisance, was planning on working late this evening.

It might be a good video opportunity, challenge to see how strong a headwind the V8 can ride in :D Just one of the amazing properties that the Wheel that has always fascinated me, that even in a very strong ~60MPH gusts you can still remain upright. I need to research if there's some sort of theoretical MPH phase transition limit between the vertical & horizontal.  

Matthew.10.5.2pm

Here on the west coast of Florida they cancel school all the time for no reason but have not yet done so for Friday. Obviously the storm will be 100 miles away from us and we will never see winds above 20 miles an hour and probably little to no rain... But, who knows. I look forward to reading about your studies in this regard. I can message you directly but I'm wondering in a world of the V8 and the KS 16, how long would it take to have one at my house on the west coast of Florida? I believe most of your stock is still in California? Perhaps I am wrong about that... :unsure:As I usually am

8 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

That's super-smooth footage, are you using a gimble as well, or is that part of the new GoPro software stabilization? 

Thats built in stabilization, i just dump the file to youtube no post processing .  not bad for $300.  I drove in the gravel and grass to test it out, seems really good

playing with hyperlapse.  seems much more watchable :)

@Marty Backe @Greg Spalding  Ordered an 820wh ACM from Dion and a Inmotion V8 from Jason.  They both arrived in record time.  Work has kept me super busy, so won't be able to give them both a good look until the weekend.  I'm looking forward to seeing the differences to these two different wheels. I'm hoping they will complement each other.  

30 minutes ago, Sketch said:

@Marty Backe @Greg Spalding  Ordered an 820wh ACM from Dion and a Inmotion V8 from Jason.  They both arrived in record time.  Work has kept me super busy, so won't be able to give them both a good look until the weekend.  I'm looking forward to seeing the differences to these two different wheels. I'm hoping they will complement each other.  

Cool. The Southern California group is doing a ride this Saturday around Beverly Hills. It would be great if you could join us. A posting will be going up in the Local Groups forum soon.

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

It might be a good video opportunity, challenge to see how strong a headwind the V8 can ride in :D Just one of the amazing properties that the Wheel that has always fascinated me, that even in a very strong ~60MPH gusts you can still remain upright

In past few days it's pretty strong wind around here in between 30 to 40 Km/h so I'm "surfing" to work and back home daily now. Today there were gusts of wind close tot (maybe over) 50 Km/h so at some points I was almost standing still with wind blowing into my face tilting forward like @Sketch's avatar here :D

48 minutes ago, Sketch said:

can't wait to hear YOUR thoughts on BOTH 

good luck

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Saw a demo of the FDR X3000R in Berlin & was so impressed I ordered one from Japan. It's got mechanical stabilization built right into the lens, the BOSS system. Results are pretty good, doesn't have quite the same range as the gimble, but I prefer the flexibility of being able to take from different angles.

I have the previous model HDR-AZ1 ("only" full HD, not 4K) and the image stabilization is simply amazing. Pretty close to DJI Osmo. Another very good stabilization cam is Firefly 6S (semi-clone of of GoPro) with Sony Lenses, 4K resolution, WiFi and compatible with GoPro batteries and whole range of accessories. That's the one I'm using most for my ride recordings.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Cool. The Southern California group is doing a ride this Saturday around Beverly Hills. It would be great if you could join us. A posting will be going up in the Local Groups forum soon.

@Marty Backe Thanks for the invite Marty.  I have plans this weekend, but would like to join the So Cal Group one of these days.

@Greg Spalding I hope to be able to give some feedback soon comparing the KS14, ACM and V8.

Does anybody knows if it's (or will be virtually) possible to purchase the spare parts for V8? I would like to replace a pedal that I have scratched some day, and I know a few guys who have managed to break the case while learning to ride.

I think that V8 is great and really powerful, but lack of spare parts on the market makes me really anxious. I have tried searching on Ebay and Aliexpress, but couldn't find anything even for the previous version (V5F).

1 hour ago, vdudouyt said:

Does anybody knows if it's (or will be virtually) possible to purchase the spare parts for V8? I would like to replace a pedal that I have scratched some day, and I know a few guys who have managed to break the case while learning to ride.

I think that V8 is great and really powerful, but lack of spare parts on the market makes me really anxious. I have tried searching on Ebay and Aliexpress, but couldn't find anything even for the previous version (V5F).

Official distributors / resellers (like @Jason McNeil) have indeed access to spare parts so as long as you've purchased the wheel from them you should be able to order spare parts as well. If you've purchased the wheel from aliexpress or some other "drop-ship" seller then you're most likely out of luck. Cost of the "cheap" purchase I'm afraid.

37 minutes ago, HEC said:

Official distributors / resellers (like @Jason McNeil) have indeed access to spare parts so as long as you've purchased the wheel from them you should be able to order spare parts as well. If you've purchased the wheel from aliexpress or some other "drop-ship" seller then you're most likely out of luck. Cost of the "cheap" purchase I'm afraid.

I have purchased it from one of the local resellers my country, actually quite a big one. Of course I have already asked that question from him, but the only answer that I could get is "maybe it will become available at spring".

I also don't understand what's good for EUC vendor to limit an access for the spare parts in a such way. But anyway, thank you very much for your response!

I have relatives near you, in Fort Pierce, and on Melbourne Beach, and on Jacksonville Beach

I'm trying to get everyone to leave and so far I'm having only limited success

why and earth would anybody want to stay? Of course folks have asking questions like that for generations

Good luck to you and your family. Please stay safe

8 hours ago, vdudouyt said:

I also don't understand what's good for EUC vendor to limit an access for the spare parts in a such way. But anyway, thank you very much for your response!

My local model shop gets people like that as well, buying a helicopter or drone on the Internet and wondering why the owner is less than interested in fixing the problems, whereas with one bought from his shop he will do all the set up and test flying for the customer to ensure it is safe and flyable.

It is service you are paying for, a good supplier will want to have the time and patience to give that level of service to their customers, not dilute it by supporting those who had no intention of buying from him or her, and are likely to have awkward warrantee problems that they certainly will not want to get involved in.

Having said that, my local cycle shops have taken the opposite approach, they virtually do not sell bicycles at all these days with the Internet and big chains being easily able to undercut them. Fortunately, because the instant gratification generation cannot even fix a puncture, they are doing a roaring trade with annual maintenance and repairs, the sort of thing any self respecting bike owner wouldn't have thought twice about doing themselves a generation ago! I am even aware of one professional bike repairer who has branched out into EUC repair as well!

Thinking about how to manage non-Customer parts requests. On the debit side: it's expensive to keep a large selection of parts in-stock, difficult to source parts from manufacturers (even in quantity), depletes Customer supply, & is usually not very remunerative. 

On the other hand, a Customer may not know of our existence when purchasing a Wheel, or have been unlucky by buying from someone who can no longer support him ;). Some of my best Customers have been those where I've gone the extra step in helping out of a jam. 

One idea I've been toying with is to double the price of parts, then offer 50% off to existing Wheel Customers. This gives sufficient incentive to buy a new Wheel from us, while still giving an option to those who have not. 

1 minute ago, Jason McNeil said:

One idea I've been toying with is to double the price of parts, then offer 50% off to existing Wheel Customers. This gives sufficient incentive to buy a new Wheel from us, while still giving an option to those who have not. 

The is a PERFECT idea

47 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Great!

At the end of the day, that's the money purpose - to give us different options to choose.

53 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Thinking about how to manage non-Customer parts requests. On the debit side: it's expensive to keep a large selection of parts in-stock, difficult to source parts from manufacturers (even in quantity), depletes Customer supply, & is usually not very remunerative. 

On the other hand, a Customer may not know of our existence when purchasing a Wheel, or have been unlucky by buying from someone who can no longer support him ;). Some of my best Customers have been those where I've gone the extra step in helping out of a jam. 

That seems counterintuitive and a bit of a turn-off. If new customers who buy parts only from you are charged more (or twice as much as you stated), it sets a bad precedent. I should think you want to lure potential customers, not penalise them. If the issue is the need to monetise the telephone support you provide, then be upfront and charge a fee. Otherwise, keeping popular parts on hand is just a cost of doing business.

12 minutes ago, litewave said:

That seems counterintuitive and a bit of a turn-off. If new customers who buy parts only from you are charged more (or twice as much as you stated), it sets a bad precedent. I should think you want to lure potential customers, not penalise them. If the issue is the need to monetise the telephone support you provide, then be upfront and charge a fee. Otherwise, keeping popular parts on hand is just a cost of doing business.

While your point is well taken what often happens in these situations is that people always find cheaper places to buy their wheels and depend on nice folks like Jason to have inexpensive parts but when it comes time to spend the big money they still look somewhere else. That happens in all aspects of retail business all over the world especially in the United States during this Internet age when people would rather sacrifice customer service for a few dollars in their pockets. Another sad but true fact. It is difficult for somebody like Jason to keep parts in stock what he should always take care of his customers who have spent big money with him before worrying about those who want a $30.00 part one time every two years.  Also, people who spend the most money with Jason would expect to get the best deal on after the sale parts. 

As an example, the motorcycle dealership where I have bought most of my bikes over the years has a free pancake breakfast the first Saturday of every month and you cannot believe how many people turned out for the free food... But when it comes time to buying their motorcycles they would rather ride 200 miles away to save $100. Purchase a wheel from Jason and he will take care of you for life but buy your wheel off eBay and you shouldn't expect him to keep the parts in stock to make you happy at his own expense.

Archived