Inmotion V8 - your thoughts and Impressions ... Now with extensive review included

HEC

1 hour ago, John Eucist said:

So now that I have a V8, are there any compelling reasons to get the app and change any settings?  Or is it already optimized out of the box for all all practical purposes?

EDIT: I almost forgot.  I guess I should check the firmware version on the app?  Were there any important updates?

It depends. Factory speed limit is set to 25 Km/h so you might want to increase that. Maybe also change the volume or select different audible notifications. Firmware update didn't bring any new features, just mentions some minor "improvements". You might also want to play with LED lights.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, John Eucist said:

So now that I have a V8, are there any compelling reasons to get the app and change any settings?  Or is it already optimized out of the box for all all practical purposes?

EDIT: I almost forgot.  I guess I should check the firmware version on the app?  Were there any important updates?

Unfortunately, InMotion firmware update notes haven't been very descriptive as to the actual changes.

There was a previous post of a V8 user having issue with multiple DIY light patterns and swapping them out in the on-wheel memory; I have suspicion to believe either the firmware update or recent InMotion app update has addressed this, but no way to know for certain (haven't experienced the issue, plus I've been making every InMotion app and firmware update).

Also, FWIW, I initially drove my V5F+ with just out-of-the-box firmware, but once updating, the wheel top speed, tiltback, and overall response felt more smooth IMO.

7 questions (now 8 with question "5b") :

ZJQj8aL.png

1) Is 1.0.901 really the latest version?
2) Does this mean that this is the version I actually have on the V8 right now?
3) If so, why is there a "0KB" progress bar there and not moving?

bHM3bX7.png

4) Why does it say "Only the owner can change the password."?  I am the owner. (UPDATE: Solved by @houseofjob's reply.  Thanks)
5) Is it safe to slide the max speed to 30 km/h?  Would it increase the chance of a power cut?
5b) Is the only way to turn on the front light by using the app? ("5b" because it's edited in after this initial post was done)
(I can't read the Chinese-only manual if it mentions about it there)
(UPDATE: 5b is solved by @houseofjob and @iMaster's reply.  Answers are as follows:)

V8 Power Button Short Press (idle) = Power Toggle
V8 Power Button Long Press  = Front Light Toggle
V8 Power Button Long Press while holding Wheel Disengage / Under Handle Button = Side LED Toggle

J2gVleU.png

6) Why is it showing 0.7 degrees?  Shouldn't it be 0 degrees?  I did not adjust it ever.
7) Why does it say "Correction failed." when I pressed the "Car body turning and fowarding correction>" button?  (and what does it do?)

Same latest firmware my V8 is on. That InMotion Android app looks a bit screwy, there's no update bar on the iOS app when fully updated.

At least on the iOS side, before updating Firmware (and maybe password as well(?)) you need to register the wheel by going to the "Me" tab (bottom far right tab next to "SCV" tab) and click the upper right cog / settings icon, then go to "Binding Vehicle" tab and either type in the V8 serial (located on the sticker under the handle) or scan it in (upper right icon).

As for the Speed slider, I slid that to max 19mph from day one and have been riding on the edge of tiltback ever since, no power cut here (I weigh ~75kg).

Default Pedal Adjustment is a bit screwy; think my iOS app defaults the V8 to 2.5. 

As for all calibration with InMotion, wheel updating (firmware), etc., you need disengage the wheel by pressing the under handle button, then rest it on it's side groove, then select "Car body turning and fowarding correction".

39 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

7 questions (now 8 with question "5b") :

ZJQj8aL.png

1) Is 1.0.901 really the latest version?

yes it is the latest version, there is no more update since I got my v8 on the end of September. 

You must put the v8 on sleep mode (hold down the underneath button and move v8 forward/backward to rest position) when you update the firmware

after update, yes
3) If so, why is there a "0KB" progress bar there and not moving?

You must put the v8 on sleep mode (hold down the underneath button and move v8 forward/backward to rest positionwhen you update the firmware

bHM3bX7.png

4) Why does it say "Only the owner can change the password."?  I am the owner. (EDIT: Solved by @houseofjob's reply.  Thanks)
5) Is it safe to slide the max speed to 30 km/h?  Would it increase the chance of a power cut?

Sure for you. But it seems you have to ride over the first 2km, and slide to adjust the max speed.
5b) Is the only way to turn on the front light by using the app? ("5b" because it's edited in after this initial post was done)
(I can't read the Chinese-only manual if it mentions about it there)

yes, or hold down the power button until light on (less than couple second)

J2gVleU.png

6) Why is it showing 0.7 degrees?  Shouldn't it be 0 degrees?  I did not adjust it ever.

mine v8 is 1.3, this is default setting and for sure you can adjust it to your flavorite riding angle.
7) Why does it say "Correction failed." when I pressed the "Car body turning and fowarding correction>" button?  (and what does it do?)

again, you must put your v8 in sleep mode to correct it.

Enjoy!!

V8 Power Button Short Press (idle) = Power Toggle

V8 Power Button Long Press (while on)  = Front Light Toggle

V8 Power Button Long Press while holding Wheel Disengage / Under Handle Button = Side LED Toggle

46 minutes ago, iMaster said:

You must put the v8 on sleep mode (hold down the underneath button and move v8 forward/backward to rest position) when you update the firmware

after update, yes

How can I tell what firmware version I have now if you think my current version isn't the latest version?

1 hour ago, John Eucist said:

How can I tell what firmware version I have now if you think my current version isn't the latest version?

I don't remember the latest version. I'll scr cap the app to you tomorrow, coz my v8 sound effect is too loud ? to wake my roommate up

23 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Por desgracia, InMotion de actualización del firmware notas no han sido muy descriptiva en cuanto a los cambios reales.

Hubo un post anterior de un usuario V8 que tiene problema con múltiples patrones de luz de bricolaje y el canje de ellos en la memoria de ruedas; Tengo la sospecha de creer o bien la actualización del firmware o una actualización reciente aplicación en Movimiento se ha ocupado de esto, pero no hay manera de saber con certeza (no han experimentado el problema, además de que he estado haciendo de cada aplicación en Movimiento y la actualización del firmware).

Además, pedía algo, me llevó a mi inicialmente V5F + con firmware justo fuera de la caja, pero una vez que la actualización, la velocidad máxima de la rueda, TiltBack, y la respuesta global se sentía más suave de la OMI.

Hi, I still have the problem of patterns, not even let me change or create the sound I feel the same ... Talk to Seller and tells me not later than October 15 has to leave the update that fixes this failure

2 minutes ago, Jaouad OB said:

Hi, I still have the problem of patterns, not even let me change or create the sound I feel the same ... Talk to Seller and tells me not later than October 15 has to leave the update that fixes this failure

Have you tried on both iPhone and Android?

Are you doing this having registered the V8 with serial number in the app?

19 hours ago, HEC said:

V8 Fast Charging:

IMAG0043.jpg

Did you get a charge doctor for the V8 or did you solder the adapters yourself or is it not a charge doctor? 

2 hours ago, MoNo said:

Did you get a charge doctor for the V8 or did you solder the adapters yourself or is it not a charge doctor? 

It's a original Charge Doctor 2.0 with two GX-16 inputs and GX-16 output. I've ordered the (originally 4A "throttled" down to 3.2A) 84V charger to be supplied with GX-16 plug as well and as I was unable to find anywhere the "howerboard" style DC charging plug or cable used on V8 I've purchased some howeboard chargers and clipped the DC cables from it to create conversion GX-16 socket -> V8 DC charging plug.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Have you tried on both iPhone and Android?

Are you doing this having registered the V8 with serial number in the app?

I tried it with Android and iPhone and have also registered the serial inmotion .. No way it works. I have to say that the first day worked

19 hours ago, HEC said:

V8 Fast Charging:

Nice, you beat me to it!  Our 2.5A charger production was held up because Inmotion insisted that the charger manufacturer change the PCB so that it would not charge below 40v. Theory is that if your 84V battery pack falls below this threshold, it should be disposed off, because of the possible internal damage caused when cells fall below 2v/cell. 

The Inmotion out-of-battery threshold on the 84V battery pack is 3.4v /cell, pretty high by the standards of other manufacturers. I've suggested there be an extended limp-home-mode to 3v which would yield another 20-25% range, but it might take some more work to demonstrate that this can be done safely...

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjdXJ6bUJKS

1 minute ago, Jaouad OB said:

I tried it with Android and iPhone and have also registered the serial inmotion .. No way it works. I have to say that the first day worked

Wow, if you tried on both recent iPhone & Android model & operating system version, then only last thing I can think of is opening up the V8 and detaching the battery, then waiting a few hours, re-attach, then try it again.

If that doesn't work, you might have to swap the board.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

The Inmotion out-of-battery threshold on the 84V battery pack is 3.4v /cell, pretty high by the standards of other manufacturers. I've suggested there be an extended limp-home-mode to 3v which would yield another 20-25% range, but it might take some more work to demonstrate that this can be done safely...

That would be a great QoL improvement. Even with limited speed it's still batter than push or carry the wheel home if you'd "overshoot" its regular range.

Now when I can finally measure the exact consumption here are first range / Wh results. After topping up the battery first and riding exactly 20 Km this is what I've put to battery after the ride:

IMAG0060.jpg

So 14.74 Wh / Km - a bit more than my earlier estimate of 13.5 Wh but this ride was in much colder weather, very strong wind and softer tire (about 2.8 bar instead of 3.2 bar) so still well within expected limits. As I've just reached 500 Km on my V8 I'll try from now to accumulate Wh on my CD over larger amount of charges / Km (several hundreds) to get better average.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

then only last thing I can think of is opening up the V8 and detaching the battery, then waiting a few hours, re-attach, then try it again.

I don't think unplugging the battery will work (though it's certainly worth the try) as the LED patterns as well as voices are stored in non-volatile memory. Also I'd not rush into replacing the CB yet and wait for the mentioned FW update to see if it resolves the issue first.

2 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

@HEC could you fix the topic title typo ("icluded")?  Surely I'm not the only one with a bit of OCD. :P 

My OCD sends regards to yours and apologies for missing the typo ;) 

18 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Wow, if you tried on both recent iPhone & Android model & operating system version, then only last thing I can think of is opening up the V8 and detaching the battery, then waiting a few hours, re-attach, then try it again.

I will try to disconnect the battery all night ... because Disconnect a while and it did not work. Any way to reset the device?

Archived