Gotway ACM issue...

I am currently nursing a scratched ACM and a sore shin!

TWICE (actually THREE times) now in less than a week my ACM has just dropped on me!

The first (actually the second) time I came out of a shop, turned on my ACM and got on leaning against a wall while I got my feet comfy on the pedals. As I went to lean to set off - gently not over lean/ harsh - it seemed like the ACM flipped on me. I was left standing on the ground with a sore right shin where the ACM caught it somehow and the ACM looked to have smoke coming from it. It could have just been dust though. I picked it up, turned it off then back on, got on and set off normally.

It has worked fine since until this morning!

I went to set off for work, I set the ACM down, turned it on, pulled down the pedals and before I got on and moved the ACM forward and backward to make sure the wheel moved ok (I've been doing this since the first incident) then got on while holding my fence as I got my feet comfy. As I leaned forward slightly to set off the ACM just dropped on me as if it wasn't even turned on. once again it somehow caught my right shin. once again I picked it up, turned it off then on again, got on and set off normally. 

I am wondering if it just dropped on me first time as I wasn't really paying attention but this morning I was because I have been cautious since the first incident.

Just before my ACM was due for dispatch it was said that peoples ACM's were frying due to an overcurrent when the ACM tried to go over a bump or out of a ditch at low speed. Apparently mine was kept back to receive the "fix" but as I have since found out I didn't receive the new board I am wondering if the fix is what is causing the ACM to drop when trying to set off slowly?

Whatever the reason I am not happy. Twice in one week and a scratched ACM and shin, 

Edit - I've just realised this has actually happened to me THREE times in less than a week. The first time was the day before the second time. I was riding along the canal and was stopped by a couple asking me questions. For some reason I turned the ACM off while chatting and then turned it back on and went to ride off while they were watching and it just dropped which made me embarrassed because i never did that on my Ninebot and it was my first drop with my nice new ACM. Initially I thought it was because the ground was uneven and I didn't balance correctly but thinking about it I didn't have chance to move because it just dropped as I got on to set off. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@TremFThat's weird, shutting off at takeoff from a stop, but then running normally afterwards.  Is there someone nearby who could take a look at it?  If it dropped you from zero speed you might not want to be going very fast in case it cuts out while rolling.  Be careful and I hope you are using wristguards and a helmet.

Just now, steve454 said:

@TremFThat's weird, shutting off at takeoff from a stop, but then running normally afterwards.  Is there someone nearby who could take a look at it?  If it dropped you from zero speed you might not want to be going very fast in case it cuts out while rolling.  Be careful and I hope you are using wristguards and a helmet.

Cheers for your concern. My friendly distributor isn't too far away but I don't drive and i don't think there's anything they can do.

What's weird is on the move it has been perfect. I have gone over all sorts of terrain and traveled at around 19mph and in 121 miles, so far, the only issue I have had is twice from 0.

I don't have any protective gear because I only had one incident with my Ninebot in 9  months (and that was possibly a dodgy spare battery). I have some gloves I use to wear but they aren't wrist guards.

2 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Maybe it's the on off button.  You could try turning on, then off, then on a second time before riding.  121 miles is a lot, if it hasn't cut out at speed that's a good sign.

I can try that but when turned on it beeps and did do both times this has happened. In fact doing the roll test would have shown if it wasn't on right?

Plus both times I have turned off then back on again before getting on and ridding off normally.

@TremF This is really disturbing behaviour. Even more as some other forum members here are experiencing the same / similar issues with both ACMs as well KS 16s on latest 1.20 Firmware :ph34r: Coincidentally - I have exactly the same to happen to me yesterday evening while having my regular leisure ride after work. I was waiting on the last traffic lights with my Solowheel Xtreme for green light after almost completing my regular 10.5 Km round only about 100 m from my destination. Green light popped, I've gently leaned front (no curbs, humps or bumps there as bicycle line continues very smoothly across the street at that place) and splash I was suddenly on the floor as wheel simply folded under me without any balancing or any signs of warning. No aggressive or even close to fast acceleration. Unfortunately - unlike in your and KS 16 cases - mine has not recovered even after restart so now it's not balancing anymore while powered and back LED is blinking some error code ;( (11 red flashes) I'm currently chasing the supplier for advice. This was my first ever issue with Xtreme. Until now it has behaved well (only ridden about 350 Km on it so far since I've received earlier this year).

@John Eucist

I can confirm that I re-calibrated the ACM as you suggested and just now, on a busy street with schoolkids nearby I turned the ACM on, got on and when I went to set off it dropped on me again. Once again I was left standing. Cue giggles from the schoolkids and my daughter who was walking by me asked if I had turned it on. It was on and when I stood it back up it seemed to be balanced again ready to go but I turned it off then back on again rather than risk getting on and it dropping again.

My right shin now hurts more because somehow twice when the ACM has gone down it's managed to catch it :( There's also the embarrassment of all the drivers and the school kids having seen me. 

16 minutes ago, TremF said:

@John Eucist

I can confirm that I re-calibrated the ACM as you suggested and just now, on a busy street with schoolkids nearby I turned the ACM on, got on and when I went to set off it dropped on me again. Once again I was left standing. Cue giggles from the schoolkids and my daughter who was walking by me asked if I had turned it on. It was on and when I stood it back up it seemed to be balanced again ready to go but I turned it off then back on again rather than risk getting on and it dropping again.

My right shin now hurts more because somehow twice when the ACM has gone down it's managed to catch it :( There's also the embarrassment of all the drivers and the school kids having seen me. 

Then clearly something is defective.  :( Hope you can get it resolved by either swapping the board or the entire unit with your seller. 

Update! 

Please could anyone else with an ACM test something for me?

Lean the ACM either forward or backward before turning it on then turn it on and see how it behaves!

My Ninebot would automatically straighten itself sometimes quite abruptly but it would straighten. My ACM does not! If I turn it on leaning all the way forward or all the way back then I can lean it forwards and backwards freely until it get's to the right level where it seems to lock into position.

Each time it has dropped it has been on a slope and very possibly hasn't locked into place.

If it does this for others then it may be a software issue. If not then it is likely a control board issue.

5 minutes ago, TremF said:

Lean the ACM either forward or backward before turning it on then turn it on and see how it behaves!

My Ninebot would automatically straighten itself sometimes quite abruptly but it would straighten. My ACM does not! If I turn it on leaning all the way forward or all the way back then I can lean it forwards and backwards freely until it get's to the right level where it seems to lock into position.

I just tested both of my ACM's.  It behaves exactly as you described.

@John Eucist Thank you. Sorry please can you confirm - do yours do as my Ninebot did and right itself or as my ACM does?

If yours does the same as my ACM then it is possibly a software fault then unless all Gotways do the same?

I am used to my Ninebot righting itself and locking into position so didn't expect the ACM to be different. This will be why it's dropped on my FOUR times now - each time on a slight slope so possibly not put into the correct position where it locks. 

Knowing this I can make sure that it locks going forward (and hope it works) but this needs sorting ASAP as it isn't safe.

23 minutes ago, TremF said:

Update! 

Please could anyone else with an ACM test something for me?

Each time it has dropped it has been on a slope and very likely has't locked into place.

If it does this for others then it may be a software issue. If not then it is likely a control board issue.

17 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

I just tested both of my ACM's.  It behaves exactly as you described.

Also with the KS16 its the same behaviour, but i could not say if my 2 "start-drops" where on a slope or i just didn't let the KS lock before driving off...

20 minutes ago, TremF said:

@John Eucist Thank you. Sorry please can you confirm - do yours do as my Ninebot did and right itself or as my ACM does?

If yours does the same as my ACM then it is possibly a software fault then unless all Gotways do the same?

Mine behaves exactly as you described how your ACM behaves.

It's not a software fault.  I believe all ACM behaves like that by design.  My KS14 and KS16 does that too but just slightly differently, I can lean it (ks) forwards and backwards until it reaches a "middle range" then it locks (even though not completely level yet), after a few more forward and backwards rolling it eventually goes back to completely level.  I remember my really old IPS i200 if it wasn't straight it would instantaneously spring to level (violently).  Different brands have different ways to handle the power on situation.  Whenever I turn on any wheels I always make sure to roll it around with my hand until I can confirm the self-balancing mechanism has turned on before I ride on it.  I assumed everyone does this.  If not, everyone should.

Sounds like we're seeing similar problems :) I've had my ACM drop several times as well. I notice that it doesn't really matter based on starting position, at low speeds it's very easy to outlean it somehow, or have it drop on a slight bump. Quite frustrating with such a large motor.

It could be that the newer board with 12 mosfets fixes this?

IMO as a safety feature the EUC should right itself and lock into position. So not only can they not be picked up and turned off but when you turn it on you have to make sure it's upright and locked which if people are in a rush they may forget and it'll drop on them.

@Kevin Grandon Hmm. As I have only discovered this levelling issue at home now I can't confirm whether it's been locked or not when it has dropped on me. I am thinking that maybe it was locked as I tend to roll it forward and backward before getting on and when I am on it's both feet holding onto a wall/fence while I get my feet comfy so it may have been locked at that point too but drops as soon as I go to set off.

@TremFMan...I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your new ACM! That is terrible news! Sometimes I believe the EUC manufacturers treat us like guinea pigs testing their products for flaws!   It is not like you can just head down the street to your local Gotway dealer for a diagnosis and repair. Hope you can resolve this issue soon!

Gotcha, it sounds I'm seeing two different kinds of dropping then.

1 - At low speeds over bumps after the ACM has locked into a level position.

2 - When starting off as you describe before the ACM has "locked" into the proper horizontal level. I just tested and I'm seeing the same thing.

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@TremFMan...I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your new ACM! That is terrible news! Sometimes I believe the EUC manufacturers treat us like guinea pigs testing their products for flaws!   It is not like you can just head down the street to your local Gotway dealer for a diagnosis and repair. Hope you can resolve this issue soon!

The annoying thing is we are paying over £1000+ on our EUC and extras and our EUC's are getting damaged and scratched due to various issues beyond our control - random drops at startup, the rubber grips on the pedals wearing very fast and screw heads snapping off.

The worse thing is these are moving and meant to be carrying us and can be very dangerous so it's our LIVES being messed with. It's down to us to make sure we ride safely and wear adequate protection BUT issues like this are beyond our control and quite scary.

11 minutes ago, TremF said:

IMO as a safety feature the EUC should right itself and lock into position. So not only can they not be picked up and turned off but when you turn it on you have to make sure it's upright and locked which if people are in a rush they may forget and it'll drop on them.

As another point of comparison, the Firewheel locks upright if the wheel is less than about 45 degrees fore/aft or left/right from vertical. If it's more than that, the wheel won't balance at all and the voice says "Please restart the unicycle" after about 5 seconds. 

I think the logic behind both behaviors is that if you had the wheel way off vertical it would whip up pretty quickly which could cause injury.

6 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

As another point of comparison, the Firewheel locks upright if the wheel is less than about 45 degrees fore/aft or left/right from vertical. If it's more than that, the wheel won't balance at all and the voice says "Please restart the unicycle" after about 5 seconds. 

I think the logic behind both behaviors is that if you had the wheel way off vertical it would whip up pretty quickly which could cause injury.

There is no warning from the Gotway ACM to tell you it isn't in the correct position. I can't guarantee that my ACM was locked into position properly because, I've noticed, it's when I am on a slope that it tends to drop. It must have been locked though or it would have been more lose when I got on and got my feet comfy

Just now, TremF said:

There is no warning from the Gotway ACM to tell you it isn't in the correct position. I can't guarantee that my ACM was locked into position properly because, I've noticed, it's when I am on a slope that it tends to drop. It must have been locked though or it would have been more lose when I got on and got my feet comfy

Always roll the euc around with your hand on the handle to confirm that the self-balancing mechanism is in effect before riding.  When starting on steep slopes, if I have space, I always start off "perpendicular to the fall line" (like when you're stopped in skiing) then after I'm rolling I turn into the direction I want to go.

2 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Always roll the euc around with your hand on the handle to confirm that the self-balancing mechanism is in effect before riding.  When starting on steep slopes, if I have space, I always start off "perpendicular to the fall line" (like when you're stopped in skiing) then after I'm rolling I turn into the direction I want to go.

I am pretty sure that mostly it is locked because after the first 2 drops I tend to turn it on, drop the pedals then roll it forward and backward to make sure it's locked. I can't guarantee it has been locked every time though. If you don't know about a "feature" you don't know to check for it. As I said my Ninebot would right itself.

As Kevin said it seems to drop at very low speeds to as it has done on him. It just happens that I haven't set off when it drops.

My generic 14" wheel that cost $229 uprights itself gently.  I always thought it was pretty cool that it did that as I would turn it on at a tilt like 45-60 degrees, and it would magically move the case upright within a couple of seconds and would be ready to go.  It sounds like an ACM firmware peculiarity if it's not able to do that, but you would think it shouldn't allow people to fall off if it's not booted up correctly.  That is odd.

My local distributor has some of the 12 MOSFET boards coming with their next delivery. It might be that just my current board itself is faulty as he has tried to replicate my issue and has been unable. He has the same board/firmware etc as me.

Archived