Gotway ACM issue...

On 30.6.2016 at 6:37 PM, John Eucist said:

Whenever I turn on any wheels I always make sure to roll it around with my hand until I can confirm the self-balancing mechanism has turned on before I ride on it.  I assumed everyone does this.  If not, everyone should.

This is what I've done always ever since I got the 14" generic.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/30/2016 at 10:09 AM, TremF said:

Update! 

Please could anyone else with an ACM test something for me?

Lean the ACM either forward or backward before turning it on then turn it on and see how it behaves!

My Ninebot would automatically straighten itself sometimes quite abruptly but it would straighten. My ACM does not! If I turn it on leaning all the way forward or all the way back then I can lean it forwards and backwards freely until it get's to the right level where it seems to lock into position.

Each time it has dropped it has been on a slope and very possibly hasn't locked into place.

If it does this for others then it may be a software issue. If not then it is likely a control board issue.

My Ninebotone E+ will not turn on if it is not close to level.  It's a safety feature I hope.  But get this, if you fall off from hitting a hole and it bounces you off, like happened to me today riding in the park not on pavement, in the grass, if you pick it up quickly and put it back level, it will restart.  Cool, huh?

On 30. Juni 2016 at 10:46 PM, TremF said:

My local distributor has some of the 12 MOSFET boards coming with their next delivery. It might be that just my current board itself is faulty as he has tried to replicate my issue and has been unable. He has the same board/firmware etc as me.

Any timescale? I need to order ACMs and like to be sure your problem is specific and not a firmware bug.

I don't know when their delivery is due. They are waiting on new pedal grips too so are just as eager.

As for the ACM being fixed and ready to go Gotway are currently working on new pedals for it. You're probably best asking Jane or Linnea when they will be finished and then it's probably good to go :)

On 6/30/2016 at 6:20 PM, John Eucist said:

Always roll the euc around with your hand on the handle to confirm that the self-balancing mechanism is in effect before riding.

I stopped doing this a little time ago as now I can recognize whether it is up and running also with a single foot. 

@John Eucist Are both your ACMs the v3?  I just recently purchased mine from "Meatball" and he says mine is (Red rubber on peddles instead of black).  Not had a chance to test this myself as at work and only looked into this thread just now.  Will test when I get back home and report later.

58 minutes ago, Chuts said:

@John Eucist Are both your ACMs the v3?  I just recently purchased mine from "Meatball" and he says mine is (Red rubber on peddles instead of black).  Not had a chance to test this myself as at work and only looked into this thread just now.  Will test when I get back home and report later.

I don't know if it's "v3" but it was supposed to be the latest version at the time I bought it.  Both are supposed to be 12 mosfet and one of the acm have both red pedals while the other acm have one red and one black pedal.

2 hours ago, Chuts said:

@John Eucist Although you should have the black rubber changed for the red.  Apparently the black version wears away really easily.

Someone mentioned that the old black ones used on the mcm4 don't have the problem and they look identical.  Maybe that's the one I got.

Didn't have much time to test this as didn't go riding last night and forgot about it until 5 minutes before I went out to work.  It is the same with my unit, but it seems to me it is the over-tilt shut down protection.  Or in this case when it is already overly tilted and powered on it does not equalize automatically, until you get near the upright position.  The same if you tried to power on the unit when it is lying on its side the gyroscope will not engage until it is in it's up right position.

I guess this is to prevent your unit remaining powered in case of a fall.  when the gyro does kick in it does give you a large degree of tilt before is shuts-down.  More so than it is possible to keep upright as a rider.

Its hard to say if this is what is causing your EU to fail on startup or something else but I do believe what I have described is normal part of its design.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am still having this issue :( 

Earlier this week I had a low speed cutout where I was riding up a path in a park and stopped briefly as I went to spin the bot round slightly to head up another path and it just dropped on me. I landed on my hands so have slightly grazed the palms, I then rolled onto my left side and grazed my left elbow slightly. I also grazed my left knee slightly but somehow my worst injury was my right elbow. I was unable to straighten it for a couple of days and it still doesn't fully straighten now. I can't carry any weight with my right arm because my elbow and lower arm really hurt still even though I have worn a support since the incident. I am unable to rest it fully so it doesn't seem to be getting any better. 

Today I popped to the shop and when I came out I turned on my ACM and rolled it forward and backward to make sure it was locked then put out my pedals, got on with my right foot first then while holding a wall got on with my left foot. I do this because the grips are very badly worn and I try to get my feet comfortable especially today as I had my light walking shoes on rather than my big sturdy boots. Anyway as I went to set off the ACM just dropped/folded under me leaving me standing!

Without turning it off I stood it up, rolled it forward and backward again, folded the pedals out, got on and rode off this time without dropping.

My seller is urgently trying to get the new board and grips after they didn't arrive with their last order but there's no saying how long this will be. In the meantime I am thinking of retiring the ACM before I get any more injuries and it gets any more scratches.

I still love it though and as far as I am concerned riding it is much more fun than the sedate Sunday rides I had 7 days a week with my old Ninebot. I can't wait to try the new board and get some rubber grips that actually work. When I fit the new grips I will also add grip tape to the pedals but I want to do this at the same time.

I would appreciate if anyone could recommend some really decent grip tape please.

I don't have any grip tape recommendations, but I do suggest that you shelve the ACM before you become a parapalegic!  Maybe go  back to the Ninebot for now.  I know it's difficult switching to a lesser powered vehicle, but at the rate you're going you might not have arms capable of swapping out the motherboard and grips if you continue along this path of electronic balancing failure.

On 24. Juli 2016 at 5:35 PM, TremF said:

Well I am still having this issue :( 

Earlier this week I had a low speed cutout where I was riding up a path in a park and stopped briefly as I went to spin the bot round slightly to head up another path and it just dropped on me. I landed on my hands so have slightly grazed the palms, I then rolled onto my left side and grazed my left elbow slightly. I also grazed my left knee slightly but somehow my worst injury was my right elbow. I was unable to straighten it for a couple of days and it still doesn't fully straighten now. I can't carry any weight with my right arm because my elbow and lower arm really hurt still even though I have worn a support since the incident. I am unable to rest it fully so it doesn't seem to be getting any better. 

Today I popped to the shop and when I came out I turned on my ACM and rolled it forward and backward to make sure it was locked then put out my pedals, got on with my right foot first then while holding a wall got on with my left foot. I do this because the grips are very badly worn and I try to get my feet comfortable especially today as I had my light walking shoes on rather than my big sturdy boots. Anyway as I went to set off the ACM just dropped/folded under me leaving me standing!

Without turning it off I stood it up, rolled it forward and backward again, folded the pedals out, got on and rode off this time without dropping.

My seller is urgently trying to get the new board and grips after they didn't arrive with their last order but there's no saying how long this will be. In the meantime I am thinking of retiring the ACM before I get any more injuries and it gets any more scratches.

I still love it though and as far as I am concerned riding it is much more fun than the sedate Sunday rides I had 7 days a week with my old Ninebot. I can't wait to try the new board and get some rubber grips that actually work. When I fit the new grips I will also add grip tape to the pedals but I want to do this at the same time.

I would appreciate if anyone could recommend some really decent grip tape please.

I'm back from holidays and I hoped you received the new board in the meantime. I like to get a statement it's a bug of your board and not a "feature limitation". If this is still an issue it's a no go.

i have even heard of ACM v1 owners..that received the V2 12 mosfet version......and now have a wheel that is not capable of doing more than 30 kmh....

they got a response o gotway...that "somehow later" they would receive a new firmware version that gives back the original 40kmh.

so the V2 12 mosfet board is not the solution for everyone.....

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

i have even heard of ACM v1 owners..that received the V2 12 mosfet version......and now have a wheel that is not capable of doing more than 30 kmh....

they got a response o gotway...that "somehow later" they would receive a new firmware version that gives back the original 40kmh.

I'd rather have a slightly slower speed if necessary than an EUC that drops randomly (and causes more injury) and gets more and more scratches - also it may encourage me to cruise at a speed that will get more miles per charge :) 

The problem with high speed EUCs is to have a motor with a perfect power/ torque curve. At low or high speed will be a disadvantage. A motor can't be good in both load positions - not possible ( P = M  x  N). I'm not a fan of 30+ km/h EUCs. Just in case I never said it ;)

The business is currently developing (still) in the wrong (freak) direction. Just in case I never said this also ;)

The 12 MOSFET mainboard needs to be proven to be the work around/ hack to be bulletproof. I'm not sure about. But history will tell.

31 minutes ago, TremF said:

I'd rather have a slightly slower speed if necessary than an EUC that drops randomly (and causes more injury) and gets more and more scratches - also it may encourage me to cruise at a speed that will get more miles per charge :) 

i understand that...and my posting was innno way ment to "bash" the ACM or Gotway....just to tell what i have heard!

36 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

And firmware updates can only be done by distributors with the programmer and not by the customer with the app. This is a future feature.

The ACM is a good EUC no doubt. But Gotway likes to implement to much improvements/ innovations in a very short time. Wot in progress.

27 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

i understand that...and my posting was innno way ment to "bash" the ACM or Gotway....just to tell what i have heard!

I know you weren't bashing. I just said that if necessary I would prefer a slightly slower EUC than one that drops (this applies to any EUC brand). I have an injury from one of last weeks drops that doesn't seem to be easing. I'd rather not risk that again and if it means using a board that temporarily lowers the top speed, which, like you, I am not a fan of either - though I have comfortably ridden at 32kmh - then so be it.

25 minutes ago, OliverH said:

And firmware updates can only be done by distributors with the programmer and not by the customer with the app. This is a future feature.

The ACM is a good EUC no doubt. But Gotway likes to implement to much improvements/ innovations in a very short time. Wot in progress.

Yeah this bit is weird - firmware updates by distributors only. What do you mean by programmer? I wonder if it's something that could be provided to the customer unless special hardware is needed?

It isn't great that they can't do firmware update through the app BUT if the firmware worked as it should we wouldn't need so many updates (Ninebot annoyed me with that!)

I wonder if other Gotway EUC's have firmware updates via the app or not? If not then The MSuper V2 and MCM 4 (probably others too) seem to work pretty well without endless updates? :)

33 minutes ago, TremF said:

I know you weren't bashing. I just said that if necessary I would prefer a slightly slower EUC than one that drops (this applies to any EUC brand). I have an injury from one of last weeks drops that doesn't seem to be easing. I'd rather not risk that again and if it means using a board that temporarily lowers the top speed, which, like you, I am not a fan of either - though I have comfortably ridden at 32kmh - then so be it.

Yeah this bit is weird - firmware updates by distributors only. What do you mean by programmer? I wonder if it's something that could be provided to the customer unless special hardware is needed?

It isn't great that they can't do firmware update through the app BUT if the firmware worked as it should we wouldn't need so many updates (Ninebot annoyed me with that!)

I wonder if other Gotway EUC's have firmware updates via the app or not? If not then The MSuper V2 and MCM 4 (probably others too) seem to work pretty well without endless updates? :)

What we know from eroue.fr: They received a unit to program via Rx/Tx or debugger port. 

The way Kingsong, IPS, Ninebot makes updates possible to the customer is good. But firmwares needs to be tested in a structured/ documented way. The firmware is part of a safety concept and in future part of the safety certification/ recertification. It's allways good to have this possibility.

5 hours ago, TremF said:

I just said that if necessary I would prefer a slightly slower EUC than one that drops (this applies to any EUC brand).

Absolutely, top priority should be keeping the rider upright. For me, fast speed is a wasted feature if the rider must fear the wheel falling unexpectedly.

Archived