Improved V11, Inmotion V11Y

mrelwood

I'd be interested to see if its possible to retrofit the newer parts to the regular V11; it looks as though everything is exactly the same chassis wise (aside from some differences in pedal height) and would be a nice subtle upgrade for people who already have the V11 but want a little boost in power and refresh to the wheel they already own by swapping in the updated controller, battery packs w/ smart BMS, and upgraded motor.

6 hours ago, oybee said:

I'd be interested to see if its possible to retrofit the newer parts to the regular V11; it looks as though everything is exactly the same chassis wise (aside from some differences in pedal height) and would be a nice subtle upgrade for people who already have the V11 but want a little boost in power and refresh to the wheel they already own by swapping in the updated controller, battery packs w/ smart BMS, and upgraded motor.

I would expect the controller to be of a different size, which would make it not fit the og V11. It’s not known where the pedal height difference is taken out from, or if the motor attachment is the same either. The motor cable connectors probably aren’t.

Further than that, even if all parts were upgradable, you’d probably lose more money by doing the upgrade vs selling your V11 as is and buying the V11Y. You’d be left with a controller and a motor that would probably be tough to sell (at least the motor), and your hybrid half-Y probably wouldn’t bring you any extra when selling it in the future. Besides, you’d get off MUCH easier workwise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oybee said:

I doubt you can do that as many parts needs to be changed. 

This is new battery packs and new dribeboard to handle the extra power and I expect new motor too.

To buy these parts seperat, I doubt that is economical feasible. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

I would expect the controller to be of a different size, which would make it not fit the og V11. It’s not known where the pedal height difference is taken out from, or if the motor attachment is the same either. The motor cable connectors probably aren’t.

Further than that, even if all parts were upgradable, you’d probably lose more money by doing the upgrade vs selling your V11 as is and buying the V11Y. You’d be left with a controller and a motor that would probably be tough to sell (at least the motor), and your hybrid half-Y probably wouldn’t bring you any extra when selling it in the future. Besides, you’d get off MUCH easier workwise.

Just as I hit send on my reply I saw you posted (something) too 😬

• Haha 1

I think it will be possible easily to put the front headlight, the stand and the shock absorber system and lower pedal, quite easily. Without spending a lot or if you break yours replace it with a new model. The shock absorbers can be  will they be solid on this model. The engine maybe it will be fully compatible. I think that certain parts will be compatible in this case you will no longer find the old models in spare parts. But for the non compatible parts I think that in 1 year it will be  difficult to repair the v11 with new parts....

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

Interesting.

InMotion's website still lists the weight of the V11Y as 29.7 kg (65.5 lbs), but ewheels shows 61.7 lbs.

Maybe InMotion has the wheel on a weight loss program, and forced it to run itself to ewheels rather than shipping it?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Interesting.

InMotion's website still lists the weight of the V11Y as 29.7 kg (65.5 lbs), but ewheels shows 61.7 lbs.

Hmmmm... that's gotta be eWheels in the wrong, right? I remember seeing that the wheel was heavier earlier in the thread. Unless the new pedals are *that* much lighter?

@Jason McNeil do you know is the new mudguard of V11Y will fit on the V11?

According to the faq on your site, this is not listed as a updated part from what I could see. Yet from pictures and change list I have seen it should cover a bit more than the old V11 original mudguard. 

33 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Jack just got back from the Inmotion assembly facility today, with a bunch of pics/videos... 

Any chance the 50s batteries make it into this wheel?

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Changing tire on V11 is a bloody nightmare but thx to mrElwoods film it a little easier to get thru..... 

Yeah that's the one thing I was really hoping they would change when they came out with the V11Y. I really wanted to see them use a modular design like the V14. Oh well, maybe next time.

@HiddenPrior In case you need repairs in the future, I noticed there's an Asurion Tech Repair & Solutions at Hill AFB, and a uBreakiFix in Lehi. I don't know if they have experience with repairing EUC's or not, but they insured my EUC when I bought it from Amazon, and their policy requires that all repairs happen through them, so there's a chance they might deal with them. I just thought I'd give you a heads up since we don't have much in the way of EUC places in our state.

1 hour ago, skunkmonkey said:

Yeah that's the one thing I was really hoping they would change when they came out with the V11Y. I really wanted to see them use a modular design like the V14. Oh well, maybe next time.

If that was the case, it wouldn't be call a V11(Y).

At the outset, Inmotion let it be known what was being upgraded. So it isn't really a surprise that there is a V11 underneath. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I believe Inmotion wanted to updated certain key features to refresh the model so it isn't so dated, and would therefore continue to sell well, and at the same time keeping the price in check.

The V11 was a hot seller. Inmotion needs to be careful not to inadvertently disrupt its hot selling status. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats!

Is the V11Y your first wheel?

1 hour ago, Popov said:

For some reason the sliders are now covered in grease, now all the dirt will stick.

Hmm. Good catch. That won't work. You will have to clean the grease off and apply some dry lube.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tell me, what pressure should be pumped into the upper and lower chambers of the shock absorber?
For the first version they recommended 2 to 1. If the bottom is 100 psi, then the top is 50 psi.
Here the shock absorbers and the volume of air in them have changed. The pressure according to the instructions should now be higher. But the instructions do not contain recommendations at what proportion to pump up the top and bottom.

Are there any recommendations from Inmotion? Or can someone at the Inmotion factory ask about this?

Edited by Popov

On 12/10/2023 at 2:10 AM, Popov said:

Yes, I decided to start with this wheel)

Then I will disassemble and remove the factory grease

Don't say "disassemble" so casually. Disassembling the OG V11 is a long, screw-intensive, tedious slog. Maybe that has improved in this new version?

For me, the good news is that I've never had to disassemble my OG V11. The stock tire was just fine and nothing else has misbehaved (knock on wood).

22 hours ago, Popov said:

Tell me, what pressure should be pumped into the upper and lower chambers of the shock absorber?
For the first version they recommended 2 to 1. If the bottom is 100 psi, then the top is 50 psi.
Here the shock absorbers and the volume of air in them have changed. The pressure according to the instructions should now be higher. But the instructions do not contain recommendations at what proportion to pump up the top and bottom.

Are there any recommendations from Inmotion? Or can someone at the Inmotion factory ask about this?

If it's like the OG, InMotion doesn't recommend messing with the upper, damping adjustment, IIRC. Also IIRC, it is supposed to be around 50 psi no matter what the lower is? That's what mine is and it works great. My ride weight is 225.

Also, does this being your first wheel mean you will be learning to ride from scratch on it? I think it will be a great learner. One thing to consider: My first few months, I rode with the suspension deflated. Lower COG = more stable and easy to balance. Bounciness was also the last thing I wanted. My 2 cents. Have fun!