Improved V11, Inmotion V11Y

mrelwood

5 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

I'm guessing 3D printed replacements for those orange bits will be available (red would be nice). :)

Somehow I just like the traffic green/yellow/lime better. I personally think different colour schemes are great but I guess it will not happen due to cost. I am glad they are bold enough to drop the all black look. Would have been cool if it had been reflective in the dark. 

The orange seems tacked on, though at least it has higher visibility going for it. Maybe it looks better in person?

I wonder if there is any benefit to retrofitting the V11Y headlight assembly onto a V11. They're both rated at 7800 lux (?) so it might depend on if the focus area is improved. Did they only upgrade it because it runs cooler?

The fixed kickstand of the prototype looked like it might have been a little low, but a more stable one that can also be bolted onto a V11 would have been nice. Would be cool if they sold it as an accessory.

I find it good enough for low or moderate speeds, depending on ambient lighting of course. A brighter headlight, or at least one with a longer throw that still doesn't blind oncoming traffic (if that's possible) would allow for faster riding through dark areas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mtl said:

I wonder if there is any benefit to retrofitting the V11Y headlight assembly onto a V11. They're both rated at 7800 lux (?) so it might depend on if the focus area is improved. Did they only upgrade it because it runs cooler?

Reviews say the V14 headlight is very similar to the old V11 headlight, but a little brighter and it doesn't use a fan.

My guess is they are using the same part for both wheels going forward, and the biggest benefit is probably that the new light does not need a fan which probably helps with water resistance.

4 minutes ago, HiddenPrior said:

I'm relatively new to EUC's

Hi fellow Utahn! It's nice to see others from my state here. I'm pretty much the only EUC rider I see around Saratoga Springs, so I was beginning to think our state hadn't discovered them yet. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread. I just wanted to say hi to a neighbor!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HiddenPrior said:

If you pre-order, I highly recommend looking into the warranty from who you purchase very carefully.

This is a very wise tip and I will take it to heart! I'm absolutely going to check out the warranty of wherever I order from. It's easy to get swept up in the excitement and skip the obvious steps, so thank you!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

There's a limited supply of 10x V11Y on the way, shipping after the October holiday in about 2 weeks from now, ETA early November. Inmotion has set the initial ESRP @ $2,399.

Oh wow. @Jason McNeil Where could I look into putting a deposit down for that initial run? I would definitely consider it.

On 9/30/2023 at 8:13 AM, skunkmonkey said:

Hi fellow Utahn! It's nice to see others from my state here. I'm pretty much the only EUC rider I see around Saratoga Springs, so I was beginning to think our state hadn't discovered them yet. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread. I just wanted to say hi to a neighbor!

That is awesome! So far as I have seen, I am the only EUC rider in downtown Salt Lake. I ride to and from my work up at Huntsman every day, as well as doing some Uber deliveries for fun. Maybe we should organize a tiny wheeling event on the Murdock or Shoreline Trail haha! I ride through Lehi fairly often on my way to visit family.

Edited by HiddenPrior
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Jack completed an evaluation of a dozen 18x3" tires. With the narrow shell clearance & 50mm rim, pretty much the only [CN made] candiate was the Longxin L841

I'm really glad to see a better tire being installed. I found this thread a while ago that might help the research:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Sloppin JohnThis is your chance if you want to pounce. Nobody better than ewheels, should there be issues with the first batch V11Y. And it might be there in a month.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Edit: I'll keep my eyes peeled! We're talking Ewheels.com, right?

Edited by Sloppin John
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

Here is a video of the V11Y in action.

Very exciting. I'm glad that they got rid of the diagonal orange stripe! I wish they would have changed the tire too, but at least e-wheels is doing that, so I'd definitely buy from them when my V11 dies.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, skunkmonkey said:

Very exciting. I'm glad that they got rid of the diagonal orange stripe! I wish they would have changed the tire too, but at least e-wheels is doing that, so I'd definitely buy from them when my V11 dies.

Is your V11 on its last legs?

If not, I'm pretty sure, there will be other new wheels that will catch your eyes by the time your V11 goes kaput.

The other factor is yourself. As you acquire more skills and experiences, you may naturally develop in a different direction than you originally thought you were going to go.

Then there is the difference between reality and what you thought a wheel would be like.

Unfortunately, most of us don't get the chance to actually ride the wheel before we buy.

I find that very often, one can be pleasantly surprised or the other way around by how differently different wheels can ride, and how they are like in person.

For example, I was surprised by my first impressions of riding an almost-new stock V11, and a personalized Commander Mini in a smooth parking lot, back-to-back.

I was impressed by how smooth and refined the V11 was. And on the other hand, I thought the Commander Mini was really stiff, and had nothing really that stood out.

That does not mean one is better based on just that tiny experience on it. But the point is, it is very difficult to know how a wheel will ride like without riding it first.

If you can manage, try riding different wheels.

There will be wheels that you may not be comfortable riding at first, and there will be others that you can naturally get along.

Since you are still relatively new, If you going to buy a V11Y, I would recommend you test riding the S16, and S19. If the price of the S19 comes down, definitely try that one out, since you may want to upgrade from 84V. My first impression of the S19 is that it is a polished, complete wheel, in which you can ride right out of the box. You just never know which way you will go in the 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Nah I just bought my V11 a couple of months ago, so it will be a couple years or so before I'm in the market for a replacement probably. I'm absolutely loving my V11 though, so I imagine I'd get the V11Y, unless there was something even better then. I can always hope that they make a modular wheel like the V14 that's easy to do a tire or battery change, but for commuters instead of trails.

Sadly I'm about the only EUC around. I've only even seen one other person in my state with an EUC, so there's no stores where we can try them out. I'd have to fly somewhere to do that.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, techyiam said:

If not, I'm pretty sure, there will be other new wheels that will catch your eyes by the time your V11 goes kaput.

The other factor is yourself. As you acquire more skills and experiences, you may naturally develop in a different direction than you originally thought you were going to go.

Then there is the difference between reality and what you thought a wheel would be like.

Unfortunately, most of us don't get the chance to actually ride the wheel before we buy.

I find that very often, one can be pleasantly surprised or the other way around by how differently different wheels can ride, and how they are like in person.

For example, I was surprised by my first impressions of riding an almost-new stock V11, and a personalized Commander Mini in a smooth parking lot, back-to-back.

I was impressed by how smooth and refined the V11 was. And on the other hand, I thought the Commander Mini was really stiff, and had nothing really that stood out.

That does not mean one is better based on just that tiny experience on it. But the point is, it is very difficult to know how a wheel will ride like without riding it first.

If you can manage, try riding different wheels.

There will be wheels that you may not be comfortable riding at first, and there will be others that you can naturally get along.

Since you are still relatively new, If you going to buy a V11Y, I would recommend you test riding the S16, and S19. If the price of the S19 comes down, definitely try that one out, since you may want to upgrade from 84V. My first impression of the S19 is that it is a polished, complete wheel, in which you can ride right out of the box. You just never know which way you will go in the 

That might be but the difference here is there is a lot of fine tuning in Inmotion wheels that other brands don't have. 

Most brands has 2 or 3 riding modes. Inmotion has 2, but on top of that you have 2 parameters to adjust pedal feel and reaction and then you can change assisted acceleration response and assisted breaking. If one fine a preferred setting then another rider might not fancy that as much. 

Adding suspension adjustment to this and tire pressure can change the feeling of the ride a lot so can a different tire. 

Now the question you really want to ask here is if you have  a V11., what do you want a new EUC to do for you as in read what are you missing or what has change to how you ride. 

As an example I upgraded from my first EUC a V8 to KS18L. Main reason to get a little more top speed and a more stable ride and more range and safety margin. Next upgrade was KS16X to get more range and more responsive EUC especially braking. Next up was my V11. Here was weather proofing and suspension the big key reasons. Next was my V10f to get a lighter yet still similar for last mile or fast short trips with car and EUC. Since I found my V8 too little to ride stable compared to my KS18L I sold it as parts due it needed repairs. My KS16X was sold due to lag of suspension. 

If I where to change or add a new wheel it would be 3 point I would be looking for. 

A) Easy service and super low maintenance. 

B) Compact and light (weight) . 

C) Much better insight to battery health. 

Now this does not mean I will not compromise, but for a disadvantage there needs to be a big point advantage. 

Right now I am leaning towards the V14 but we still miss real reviews that is not coming from click bait rumour copycats. 

Yes the V11Y has some improvements but on paper the V11Y looks as a modern V11. But I am missing easier service for example for tire change. And low maintenance for suspension too. The way you have to check suspension on a V11 is not ideal. 

And no I wouldn't even start consider Gotway spin off brands. I looked at Kingson S19 but to me it just looked like too much looked in place with little room for adjustment. Too much bling for my taste. 

However for me it looks like I have limited riding needs in the winter for now. So either I keep riding my two V11 or a V14 might be passed first initial iterations when I make a decision to buy a next wheel. 

Edited by Unventor

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

That might be but the difference here is there is a lot of fine tuning in Inmotion wheels that other brands don't have. 

Most brands has 2 or 3 riding modes. Inmotion has 2, but on top of that you have 2 parameters to adjust pedal feel and reaction and then you can change assisted acceleration response and assisted breaking. If one fine a preferred setting then another rider might not fancy that as much.

Although, it is nice to have a lot of fine tuning parameters that are user-adjustable in firmware, I don't find that I missed them on my other wheels. On my V12, I appreciate that I could make the many adjustment, however, on my T3, S22, Abrams, I haven't found that I need more adjustments than what are already there.

Adding suspension adjustment to this and tire pressure can change the feeling of the ride a lot so can a different tire. 

I think in my case with the S22, it has mostly to do with the aftermarket tire profile, and power pads. In addition, at first I didn't get the stock pads on quite right on my S22. The stock tire profile is not a profile I am used to. I never got along with the OG Sherman stock tire profile, and I never spent the time to learn to adapt to it. On my S22, I am learning now to acclimate the flatter profile in the centre and the more abrupt drops at the sides.

And no I wouldn't even start consider Gotway spin off brands. I looked at Kingson S19 but to me it just looked like too much looked in place with little room for adjustment. Too much bling for my taste. 

Should the price drop, and the price becomes right, for those who are not wanting to go 50+ mph city commuting, I would test ride the S19. One needs to see it in person and get a chance to ride it. IMO, it's not just another wheel. the S19 is another level up on refinement as compared to the V11, V12, S22, and Commander Mini.

For me, the S22 is the most pleasant wheel to work of all my wheels. Too bad Kingsong added more plastics to the S19. But I think underneath, it is still very much a S22.

From watching Imotion's video on the V14 tire change, it does look like it could be a bit easier to work on than the S22. But the difference doesn't seem to be that significant to me. To really know, I would need to work on the V14.

On paper so far, the V14 does come across as being another wheel that Inmotion is producing that places heavy emphasis on motorcycle-like quality, rather than a cheap e-bike. More over, the advertised 50 degrees slope climbing capbability and 0-50 km/h in 2.5 s time showcase its performance prowess. But we still need to wait and see what it is really like, and how it really performs.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1