Improved V11, Inmotion V11Y

mrelwood

• mrelwood changed the title to Improved V11, Inmotion V11Y

Was expecting a bit more but it's a decent refresh. I'm quite happy with the current V11 range/performance. Better newer electronics are always welcome. One of the complains I get from people trying out V11 is that the pedals are very high. With the lower pedals it should have even better ride feel.

So V11 is a embracing a city commuter role. Off-road role and long range cruiser role will be filled with other wheels. I think it's pretty good at what it is :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As always, the price is what counts.

Neat enough update on its own. The V11 controller was/is borderline too weak (mosfets), I think, and this hopefully fixes it. The board housing sure is nice! The rest of the V11 was always quite fine, it's just not a super duper performance wheel, but it never was to begin with.

As long as it does not cost too much more than the V11 costs now, this seems pretty nice.

• Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 11:51 PM, chanman said:

Maybe I can get the Y controller so I can stop burning up regular ones.

What are you doing with your wheels? I havent burned up the board of my V11 yet, despite the fact that I was well over the maximum 120kg weight limit for most of the 7.000 kilometers I have ridden it so far.

• Upvote 2

Nothing major, just some small jumps and drops off of curbs that the S18 did just fine dozens of times, but burned mosfets twice. If you land a jump or drop off balance you can get a pretty substantial current spike that my boards didn't handle.

Edited by chanman

7 hours ago, chanman said:

Nothing major, just some small jumps and drops off of curbs that the S18 did just fine dozens of times, but burned mosfets twice. If you land a jump or drop off balance you can get a pretty substantial current spike that my boards didn't handle.

Are you doing this when the wheel is fresh of the charger?

I know this is a bit off topic, but it was inspired by the V11Y so here it goes.. 

I tried a quick google search about some custom hangers or something to lower the pedals on original V11. Have anyone heard of a mod like this? 

Alternatively maybe the parts from the new one could be retrofitted to the original one to get a -1cm pedals will have to wait and see  

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

Have anyone heard of a mod like this? 

I haven’t. The pedal bracket includes the suspension stopper bracket and rubber, so it isn’t the simplest of construction.

We don’t know yet whether the lower pedals in the V11Y are provided by the pedal bracket having the stopper at a different location, or the black suspension rails having the groove at a different spot.

So aside of new Motherboard and some orange bumpers. It's the same wheel? :D:sleep1: 

OMG, i almost forgot about most impressive change in the "new" model.

Spoiler

Honeycomb Pedals! Let's GOOOO!!!!

But for real? Is this a joke? I guess if they stop making regular V11 and this one takes it's place, then it's okay... (I personally wanted to see something "better".) Does this one at least have real smart BMS now???

They could at least make better stand.. Not the one that may get stuck inside the wheel while riding. Making you crash and burn motherboard. (First thing i would do after getting V11 - remove the stand.) :D Chance of the stand getting stuck in wheel well is small, but not having it at all removes that 0.1% chance..

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, Funky said:

So aside of new Motherboard and some orange bumpers. It's the same wheel?

And the geometry changes. And pedals I guess. But yes.

3 hours ago, Funky said:

if they stop making regular V11 and this one takes it's place

They have always talked only about “V11 improvements”, so I don’t see why they’d be selling them both.

3 hours ago, Funky said:

They could at least make better stand.. Not the one that may get stuck inside the wheel while riding.

Really?? This is the first I’ve heard about this. I can’t even imagine how that could happen, since the rotating tire pushes the stand away from the tire if it’s in the lowered position.

If you install certain types of a knobby tire though, then it can get stuck on the tire itself, which surely can fry a board. Though I’ve had mine stuck on a knobby many times without issues.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Really?? This is the first I’ve heard about this. I can’t even imagine how that could happen, since the rotating tire pushes the stand away from the tire if it’s in the lowered position.

If you install certain types of a knobby tire though, then it can get stuck on the tire itself, which surely can fry a board. Though I’ve had mine stuck on a knobby many times without issues.

Yup > Off-road tires, knobby. The tire may catch the stand.. Check V12 tread, one guy got injured shoulder and dead wheel. As the stand went inside the wheel. (It's highly recommended to remove the stand, if you got knobby.)

You yourself said..

Though I’ve had mine stuck on a knobby many times without issues.

If the stand comes down somehow mid ride, bumpy road, or you simply "forget" to put it up.. Or what ever.. Afterwards tire catches the stand mid ride.

GG it's Game Over.

Link:

Edited by Funky

40 minutes ago, Funky said:

Check V12 tread, one guy got injured shoulder and dead wheel.

Wow, hadn’t seen that one. Thanks.

I do wonder if the geometry is different on the V11 and V12. I did a few tests of letting the stand fall down while free spinning the wheel, but it never got stuck. It only sticks when and after it’s leaning into the stand. And even then it starts to rotate forwards just fine, and stays stuck only if I try to rotate the tire backwards.

@Funky @mrelwood Just to be clear, the accident I had on the V12 HT was because my driver board died out of no where. My kickstand got twisted into the wheel well as a result of the crash. It was quite violent. In general I don't think adjustable kickstands make a whole lot of sense on EUCs. 

Back to the V11y: I think improvements, even if iterative, are important, and I like that it shows that Inmotion is aware of the models that are doing really well and are working to improve it. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

@Funky @mrelwood Just to be clear, the accident I had on the V12 HT was because my driver board died out of no where. My kickstand got twisted into the wheel well as a result of the crash. It was quite violent. In general I don't think adjustable kickstands make a whole lot of sense on EUCs. 

Oh, thanks for update. I thought it was the kickstand fault, at least posts made it sound like that..

Wow, hadn’t seen that one. Thanks.

I do wonder if the geometry is different on the V11 and V12. I did a few tests of letting the stand fall down while free spinning the wheel, but it never got stuck. It only sticks when and after it’s leaning into the stand. And even then it starts to rotate forwards just fine, and stays stuck only if I try to rotate the tire backwards.

Even if it wasn't kickstand fault. If some off-road tire has more "aggressive" knobbies. It still could catch the kickstand. Like when you hit some bump on road and kickstand gets kicked right into tire... (Especially knobs that could "hook" the kickstand.) Chance of that happening is very, very low. But still it could happen.

Geometry should be different as it has "smaller" tire and no suspension. Speaking about suspension V11 having it - that alone could make kickstand catching tire even more possible. As wheel case moves downwards/upwards on road bumps.. Stand goes down/up with it.

I personally would not like any stand that could touch tire.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

@Funky @mrelwood Just to be clear, the accident I had on the V12 HT was because my driver board died out of no where. My kickstand got twisted into the wheel well as a result of the crash.

I can see it happening the other way around as well. If the stand gets rammed between the tire knobs at speed, it definitely can fry the board.

13 hours ago, Funky said:

Speaking about suspension V11 having it - that alone could make kickstand catching tire even more possible. As wheel case moves downwards/upwards on road bumps.. Stand goes down/up with it.

It doesn’t, the stand on the V11 (and V11Y) is attached to the non-suspended part of the wheel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Excellent upgrade. If it's still 84v and has the same motor current limits, will the V13 hardware do much?

Good question. V11 has possibly had a few more fried boards than Inmotion would like, and a V13-like board could help with that.

But we haven’t seen the full specs yet, so we don’t know if the actual output power rating has been increased.

• Like 1