The Photo Thread

SlowMo

2 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Hi guys, todays meeting in Colmar, home of the conceptor of the Statue of the liberty (France) :)

Great photos! The USA thanks your country for our proud Statue of Liberty! 

40431059415_bd51575d3e_b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pingouin said:

meeting in Colmar, home of the conceptor of the Statue of the liberty (France)

According to my genealogy search, my great grandfather was born in Neuhaeusal a few km north of Strasbourg. Arriving in NYC in 1884 , two years before the Statue of Liberty was dedicated. Funny how my father never mentioned him. He went back to France (died there ?) about 1930....I lost the genealogy signal after that.

Great grandfather court document from 1893.

2018-04-08_18.07.49

Edited by Bob Eisenman

At last, spring. The studded Mad Mike's off, new Kenda tyres on.

These seem to be very good. They're pretty thick walled and hard, with a thick anti-puncture layer. They actually took 24h with 2.9 bars to fully straighten out from storage, which goes to show how hard they are. They have very good grip and the geometry seem to be good for rolling resistance and control.

It's almost unnerving how silent everything became when there are no studs hitting the asphalt...

20180409_091214_800.thumb.jpg.d53c7804cd971322a6870c1cf960e3ec.jpg

20180409_091159_800.thumb.jpg.bd5bb1d1a0d629f15ba7ae765f10fe2f.jpg

Poor poor pads, my hiking shoes have really been hard on them...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

At last, spring. The studded Mad Mike's off, new Kenda tyres on.

These seem to be very good. They're pretty thick walled and hard, with a thick anti-puncture layer. They actually took 24h with 2.9 bars to fully straighten out from storage, which goes to show how hard they are. They have very good grip and the geometry seem to be good for rolling resistance and control.

It's almost unnerving how silent everything became when there are no studs hitting the asphalt...

20180409_091214_800.thumb.jpg.d53c7804cd971322a6870c1cf960e3ec.jpg

20180409_091159_800.thumb.jpg.bd5bb1d1a0d629f15ba7ae765f10fe2f.jpg

Poor poor pads, my hiking shoes have really been hard on them...

Mind if I ask how your experience has been owning the gt16 and what version of the wheel you own . This has always been my favorite EUC as far as design is concerned. I’m just very hesitant to buy one given the fact that no US reseller carries them and they have a spotted track record . 

3 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Mind if I ask how your experience has been owning the gt16 and what version of the wheel you own . This has always been my favorite EUC as far as design is concerned. I’m just very hesitant to buy one given the fact that no US reseller carries them and they have a spotted track record . 

I tried the GT16 for a minute last year, and @Scatcat's description is spot on.

My first impression was, it feels very light and nimble to ride, more like a 14 incher. If someone had told me it only weighs 10kg, I would have believed it just from how it feels riding it. For me, it was almost a little flimsy, being used to the ACM, as it was so different (direct - I also like the medium ride mode on my ACM that most others consider jelly mode). But I think you can get used to that quickly. And it seemed very stable if you accelerate - your stance is wide like on the ACM, not very narrow like on a V8, so you have good control and stability.

Italian sports car is a really good comparison. Some like such cars, others not at all, and just want a nice, stable, feathered cruiser (like a heavy limousine) that just keeps going on its own. Guess the ACM would be like that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@n2eus, @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", and myself during a ride around Griffith Park today.

IMG_20180408_122504087_HDR

nice photo! I hope it was a fun ride :)

now i kind od feel bad i didnt get an acm2 but that color if i got it in red would look so nice. and the extra battery.. And then there is the money. I was struggeling to get the 850wh model...

but i would think the differences between the tesla and the acm are small except battery.

not that there not there

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Delgado said:

EI have acm 1300wh and gt16 1036wh and the two are wonderful, but very different driving between them. While the acm is a tank, heavy and gives you a lot of safety on the move. The gt16 is very reactive, great acceleration and really agile and playful. I love two wheels. It depends on the moment I choose one or the other. If I want km, off road and tranquility I go with my acm. If I prefer fast displacement or adrenaline without doubt my gt16. By the way, the gt 16 1036wh has an impressive battery range. Practically the same as the 1300wh acm.IMG_20180406_021817.thumb.jpg.090836062bfb07629f533384d69cd6a3.jpg

IMG_20180406_211326.jpg

Oh yes. I cannot count the times that I said to myself "I should just go out and cruise along in a tranquil - like - mode" and then before I know it I push the acceleration and behave like a Ferrari driver... :D
It is hard to keep of the juice kinda.

• Like 2

Newburyport

Yesterday, while my nephew in Maine played in a special Olympics basketball tournament, I rode to Newburyport, Massachusetts. Just south of Georgetown the Monster issued a battery beep while max speeding along a brief route incline, a sign of a much lower battery level than at the start of the ride. I stuck to the side of the wide shouldered road the last few miles north of Georgetown rather than risk considerable wetness along the parallel rail trail through marshy sections. Although the Monster beeped a bit the last few miles to the Commuter rail stop, the speed I'd set for max was easily maintainable on the slight decline down upon an ideal riding surface.  I decided that I needed to grab over an hour's worth of charge at Starbucks while waiting for the next train for the return ride a mile away. Temps were in the forties and the waterfront is still 'down' in terms of boats in the water.

Salem to Newburyport Commuter rail stop.

Elevation profile from Salem to Newburyport.

2018-04-10_04.39.24

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Modeling my new LS2 Rebellion helmet, just in time for summer.

New Movie (120).Movie_Snapshot

EUC heaven. It's freaking snowing right now in Vermont, in mid-April

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

EUC heaven. It's freaking snowing right now in Vermont, in mid-April

Really? Wow. Sometimes I forget that weather sucks in other parts of the country.

Hopefully at least the snow won't stick around for very long.

Photos look good!  Maybe that camera isn't a turd after all!  :whistling:  I'm not a big fan of HDR because it gives the photos a slight unnatural cast to them, but sometimes it works.  Too bad you couldn't take the same photos with the regular camera app to compare against.  For at $200 USD phone (Xiaomi Mi A1), I still think it's an all around decent phone.  Here's a higher end one for a bit more:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-Mix-2-Mobile-Phone-6GB-64GB-Full-Screen-Display-Snapdragon-835-Octa/32846422623.html

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8529&idPhone2=8720&idPhone3=8858

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-5-5-Inch-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-385504.html?Currency=USD

I hear this one is supposed to be pretty good too.  A1 < Redmi Note 5 Pro < Mi Mix 2

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pre-sale-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-4GB-64GB-5-99-Full-Screen-Dual-Camera/32854848418.html

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Photos look good!  Maybe that camera isn't a turd after all!  :whistling:  I'm not a big fan of HDR because it gives the photos a slight unnatural cast to them, but sometimes it works.  Too bad you couldn't take the same photos with the regular camera app to compare against.

I did, both normal and HDR photos with the stock and Google Camera each. Not much of a difference between the two apps (also I forgot which photos are which:efeebb3acc:). Not sure if enabling the whatever API that was necessary for the Google Cam also changed the stock app's behavior, or did nothing.

The HDR photos were chosen because they resemble the real world lighting most. Late afternoon, strong and low sun, some haze, some cloudy/stormy stuff coming up. Really not a good scenario for comparisons. The photos are closer to the real lighting than one might think.

My old Nexus 5 still made more color-accurate pictures, at least it felt that way. Guess I need to test it too.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1