Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

6 minutes ago, dredwheel said:

pre-ordered the patton too. i saw on ewheel's site that the motor is one of the QC points they're investigating before shipping them out. hopefully they'll open them up and check for shit like this. 

This is good to know!

On 4/13/2023 at 8:57 PM, Rollin-on-1 said:

Fyi, he said 1st shipment scheduled to depart China next week with a 5 week ETA.  I'm guessing 1st production units getting into the hands of buyers around the end of May to early June timeframe.

God speed to the alpha testers :roflmao:

On 4/13/2023 at 11:36 AM, DjPanJan said:

What about this motor asembly porblems? Is this dangerous?

"Button" works good. Leaperkim told that was their fault because they disassembled our motor due to some trouble w/ bearings. And they think it became to cause of this cracks and damages. They promise to send new motor asap. I want to trust that's true.

Edited by Kingsong Russia
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

God speed to the alpha testers :roflmao:

no worries bro. with all the new wheels coming out, I'd be trying to figure out how to cope with the FOMO too. comedy is a pretty good go-to. i may try it out myself. that is, for whatever comes after i get my patton.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, stephen said:

What's your thoughts

Looking good. He touched on a lot of my misgivings, like range and instability at speed. I'm glad the ride quality is so good. That seems to be something most riders have been able to agree on. I'm still hella hyped for this wheel. Will it be perfect? Nah. Will it be dope? Absolutely. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tst said:

Is the waterproofing really there?

I see the mainboard has 2 covers. But I don't see a 100% waterproof seal on any of them.

You do realize you cannot submerge an electric wheel and expect it to more work normally again.

Sure, the V12 maybe more waterproof than many other wheels, but in no way can they be submerged. 

Personally, I am not willing to pay a big premium so that the wheel can get certified to a IP67, or IP68 rating. Perhaps IP67 for the battery packs, but certainly not for the whole wheel. 

• Upvote 1

The review seemed nice but the "guessing a 20 mile range" on high speed mode with aggressive driving actually has me a bit worried. The Evees review indicated double of that in normal mode but they only did have a average speed of 33km/h (20.5 mph).

I think it does show that Hisang is pushing it more than them and would I would like to see more reviews form more aggressive riders, this honestly makes it harder for me to chose between the SS and the Patton as my next wheel.

35 minutes ago, techyiam said:

You do realize you cannot submerge an electric wheel and expect it to more work normally again.

Sure, the V12 maybe more waterproof than many other wheels, but in no way can they be submerged. 

Personally, I am not willing to pay a big premium so that the wheel can get certified to a IP67, or IP68 rating. Perhaps IP67 for the battery packs, but certainly not for the whole wheel. 

I'm not talking about submersion. I see 2 covers, but I don't see a watertight bond all around. I also see the lower board fixed straight to the body. So if water seeps in eventually it could get to the board instead fo the board being in the air and a bit safe.

2 minutes ago, Poker said:

The review seemed nice but the "guessing a 20 mile range" on high speed mode with aggressive driving actually has me a bit worried. The Evees review indicated double of that in normal mode but they only did have a average speed of 33km/h (20.5 mph).

I think it does show that Hisang is pushing it more than them and would I would like to see more reviews form more aggressive riders, this honestly makes it harder for me to chose between the SS and the Patton as my next wheel.

I'd consider the Sherman S unless you must have the slightly better nimbleness and a bit more torque of the Patton.

4 minutes ago, tst said:

So if water seeps in eventually it could get to the board instead fo the board being in the air and a bit safe.

If you are not talking about submersion, then you are making a big assumption that rain water can get in and damage the electronics, based on what you saw in the videos. I have not heard of any complaints about water ingress in the controller compartment yet.

We will know soon enough. They should arrive in the May/June timeframe.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Man I remember years ago when they announced the Tesla V1 gotway or someone released a video showcasing a gotway tesla riding fully submerged at the bottom of a swimming pool... I tried looking for that video for a good while but no luck, maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about?

I can't believe we're still dealing with problematic waterproofing when that was possible in 2018 or so.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

Man I remember years ago when they announced the Tesla V1 gotway or someone released a video showcasing a gotway tesla riding fully submerged at the bottom of a swimming pool... I tried looking for that video for a good while but no luck, maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about?

I can't believe we're still dealing with problematic waterproofing when that was possible in 2018 or so.

I have Begode Tesla T3. There is nothing waterproof about.

9 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

Why would swimming pool riding be of any kind of importance to the manufacturers? Why would they increase the wheel’s cost with something like that, when truly nobody would need it? Sure you can coat the mainboard and go ride in a pool, which will destroy the bearings, the motor and the batteries in a week or two. You only need sufficient waterproofing to be able to ride on the rain and not destroy the wheel.

Most wheels’ electronics are sealed well enough from rain water. Either it’s sealed enough not to get inside, or the system is built in a way that it doesn’t let the water into the circuit boards and batteries.

Begodes excluded of course, but they have always acted based on their own rules of reason...

The bearings are what one should worry about, since if dirty water gets inside it makes them noisy. Can be replaced of course, but it’s a hassle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

The bearings are what one should worry about, since if dirty water gets inside it makes them noisy. Can be replaced of course, but it’s a hassle.

I worry about bearings the least.... As i have packed them in marine grease. And extra layer around axle itself.

Even if i didn't have done "extra" waterproofing. The most worried i am - is about battery and motherboard. (Even knowing the battery packs are wrapped in heat shrink. And motherboard is placed at highest place in euc.) I still worry.. Because water and electricity doesn't mix well. But i still ride in heavy rain storms, winter.

I could give two ducks about bearings.. They won't burn my apartment down. Or make me crash.

EUC's must be IP-X 5/6/7 sealed! Because anything that is made for outdoors - needs to be protected from rain.

• Like 1

re: Hsiang's latest video review of Veteran Patton

about the design portion of the hsiang review vid for the Patton;  IMO, the Patton's design is reminiscent of the design sense of the french swiss architect Le Corbusier.  to simply say that veterans "squarish aluminum profile" is a consequence of the expense of the chosen building materials is rather a shallow observation.  setting aside the rumour that Le Corbusier was abit of a right-wing follower,  his ambitions on both modern building materials and architectural design IMO represent the best of the beginning of modern architectural thought.  so in the case of the Patton,  i can only think that the current choice of materials and utilitarian design represent the same kind of thinking from the turn of the last century.  this is nothing 'new'.  this is a consequence of whats available within the given budget the designer and manufacturer are assigned with.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Funky said:

I worry about bearings the least.... As i have packed them in marine grease. And extra layer around axle itself.

Sounds like you used to worry about the bearings the most. I don’t recall you doing any waterproofing to the mainboard and the batteries.

22 hours ago, Funky said:

But i still ride in heavy rain storms, winter.

Which you have done a few years already I imagine. And how many water ingress related issues have you had?

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Sounds like you used to worry about the bearings the most. I don’t recall you doing any waterproofing to the mainboard and the batteries.

Not really.. I simply where siliconing the motor "shut". Same time while i was inside, i gave the bearings some "treatment". :D 

What waterproofing can be done for batteries and motherboard?

I usually ride with backpack cover over euc. Only thing that gets wet is wheel well. The heat sink maybe are letting some water true.. Haven't checked. But as i don't put my wheel sideways ever, i doubt any water could get onto motherboard itself. Also it seems the motherboard itself is coated with something.. As it's all shiny.. Clear coat of somekind.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Which you have done a few years already I imagine. And how many water ingress related issues have you had?

1 year.

None really (At least that i know of..) as my trips are very short.

Edited by Funky

19 minutes ago, Funky said:

None really

This was my point. You have overhauled the bearings by refilling and sealing them with grease, but you have done nothing to the mainboard and battery. As it should be! There’s no reason to expect that any water would ever get in them, especially if you ride with a cover.

The bearings however, like you have expressed, are probably the first item to require additional care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

What waterproofing can be done for batteries and motherboard?

It already has a conformal coating.  I know people that apply lacquer on the controller to significcantly improve the waterproifing.  A long time rider I know uses something called corona dope.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/corona-dope-gc-electronics-lacquer-coating-2-oz&ved=2ahUKEwjMwLyNj7L-AhXbElkFHS_dAcAQFnoECBgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Z2wwiz8s_FIWrYTf1bl1u

I'm not suggesting this is the best source...just the first link that popped up when I googled it.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 11:04 AM, Kingsong Russia said:

New MOSFET! Kinda slow switching... otherwise lovely.

AJFCJaVHlPfUNbAH9VFxTYHU2l9N7SS3g-gxgnoz

I also like how the batteries are not at the 'edge' of the battery box, leaving some crush space. This is a good example of the weight vs capacity tradeoff... Patton is heavy, but should be more durable because they used the extra material smartly. 

razbiraem-monokoleso-veteran-patton-52.j 

• Like 3

At 85kg (187lb) geared up, I'm apparently in the middle of the recommended weights for the 62lb and 66lb suspensions. Any thoughts on which one to go for? I'll be riding this 90% on trails and single track.

Cheers

Edited by Wonton

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh