Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

My impression after watching Kevin's video, was that he was impressed with Patton's suspension. He like the cushy setting. I don't think he meant to say that the suspension was under damped when he used the words pogo stick. 

I agree, he did seem to like it, but it seemed to me that the suspension was not tuned very well for him.  I think the soft bouncey suspension plus the edge of the knobby tire didn't instill confidence in his higher speed turns.

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Preload (sag) needs to be adjusted for his riding weight.

I agree, it looked like a little more sag would have been beneficial.  

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Suspension can feel very wrong unless you tune it as you want it to feel, too much bounce (pogo effect) is typical consequence of too much rebound, if something feels wrong really need to take the time to stop riding and tune it to see if it can be solved and not just say it's wrong. 😅

In the comment section of the video, I asked if he had made any adjustments to the suspension.  I was curious if he adjusted the setting to his preference or not.  Overall, I thought he gave a very favorable review of the wheel, but I think with better tuning of the susoension, he may have had an even better opinion of the wheel, particularly his high speed turning experience.  He said it is definately not a race wheel, but I think it could be with a properly tuned suspension and a street tire. 

I'm looking forward to the Eevee's video!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I agree, he did seem to like it, but it seemed to me that the suspension was not tuned very well for him.  I think the soft bouncey suspension plus the edge of the knobby tire didn't instill confidence in his higher speed turns.

Personally, if I was after an opinion as to whether the Patton was suitable as a race wheel or not, I would not be watching Kevin's video. I would rather hear from Roger instead.

I like to hear Kevin's opinion because I am not a racer. I am a simple rider. I already know how the FastAce suspension performs. Whether Kevin got it dialed in isn't that important for me. What was important to me was that he basically confirmed the build quality is still similar to the Sherman-S, the wheel is stable like the Sherman, ease of acceleration and braking looked good, and has better agility than the Sherman-S.

I am a pavement rider, so if I were to get it, eventually, the tire will get swapped with a street tire. The handling characteristics will change anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Personally, if I was after an opinion as to whether the Patton was suitable as a race wheel or not, I would not be watching Kevin's video. I would rather hear from Roger instead.

😀 I wasn't watching it to get his opion of it as a race wheel, but I took exception to his comments.  It didn't corner well for him at speed.  As a street rider, the high speed cornering is important to me.  Not because I'll actually be racing it, but because a fast and agile wheel must corner well at speed too.  I highly suspect it will with better suspension tuning and more time aclimating to the wheel.

I hope Roger and Dawn get their hands on a Patton, but I kind of doubt that will happen.

I think Hsiang would be an excellent candidate for a demo wheel though and I hope he gets a chance to review it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

😀 I wasn't watching it to get his opion of it as a race wheel, but I took exception to his comments.  It didn't corner well for him at speed.  As a street rider, the high speed cornering is important to me.  Not because I'll actually be racing it, but because a fast and agile wheel must corner well at speed too.  I highly suspect it will with better suspension tuning and more time aclimating to the wheel.

I hope Roger and Dawn get their hands on a Patton, but I kind of doubt that will happen.

I think Hsiang would be an excellent candidate for a demo wheel though and I hope he gets a chance to review it!

I see. 

I guess I cherry pick info from various reviewers. I didn't place too much importance on his opinion pertaining to higher speed cornering. 

Just curious, why wouldn't you think Roger and Dawn will get a Patton to test?

4 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Just curious, why wouldn't you think Roger and Dawn will get a Patton to test?

They usually get to test the wheels that Marty gets.  The Patton doesn't seem to fit Marty's typical riding scenarios, so I'm not sure eWheels will send the demo to Marty.  I hope I am wrong though.

39 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Just saw it.  Agreed, doesn't look too interesting to me.  Maybe if it is light enough Funky will be interested. 🤣🤣🤣

ISTR that in his recent review of the Nylonove Kinetic pads, in the last minute or so Adam (Wrong Way) manages to bend the rim of the S22 he is jumping with. Might not be the best choice for the fuller-figured funksters among us!

2 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

They usually get to test the wheels that Marty gets.  The Patton doesn't seem to fit Marty's typical riding scenarios, so I'm not sure eWheels will send the demo to Marty.  I hope I am wrong though.

Any wheel that is not Begode, Marty will dismiss as not having enough range.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, techyiam said:

So many good wheels to choose from.

yep, that there is....and it may turn into a windfall for newbies come the end of this riding season (even more wheels to choose from, ignoring their high pricing...).  who knows what the other manufacturers have planned.  but perhaps that statement is abit too anticipatory:  it may be too late for the other manufacturers to react quick enuf to veterans early release...

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

Any wheel that is not Begode, Marty will dismiss as not having enough range.

Marty also has said he was done with 16inch wheels. So I think that pretty much disqualifies this wheel as interesting to that crew. Which is fair enough, get it in the hands of people who will be interested in it!

18 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

Marty also has said he was done with 16inch wheels. So I think that pretty much disqualifies this wheel as interesting to that crew. Which is fair enough, get it in the hands of people who will be interested in it!

A little off topic, but I've noticed with Marty he doesn't seem to want to criticize wheels that he is being given for review. And when others criticize some of the wacky decisions Begode does, for example, he says, "no one is telling you to buy it", etc. Sorry Marty, but sometimes criticism is good if it's constructive. To his credit, everyone deserves an opinion and/or to withhold comments, and he also owned ever wheel since the beginning of time (sarcasm)... so that's cool too. Just something to be aware of when you listen to Marty's reviews in my opinion at least

Edited by BKW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BKW said:

Kevin says it is maneuverable and nimble, but yet also seems to struggle on turns and says "it takes some getting used to" -- a little bit of a contradiction there. A lot of this probably has to do with the tire. I have the Sherman Max and the Patton has the same knobby tire (difference size though) and the same weight EUC, and I remember riding the Sherman Max after getting used to it and was surprised how nimble it was. I think the Patton will be even more nimble. I think the nimbleness of this wheel will be better than ALL 20 inch wheels, so it won't be a problem there.

The weight seems to bother a minority of people. Really, I don't see an issue with the weight for what you're getting out of this wheel. I won't harp on this though.

In my limited test ride with the Patton I would agree that it is a very nimble wheel, much more than the Sherman S and this is instantly recognizable. The knobby doesn't appear to be the same knobby that is on the Shermax/Sherman S. It's "knobbier", less rounded, and has a flatter profile than the Kenda 262 which should be geared more towards off road. Either way I agree that this will be a great wheel for most and I hope I win the one that @eevees is giving away. More wheels = more fun.

• Like 2

asked Bradley when his review was out can't wait I think that's 10.30pm UK time?

Bradley from eevees.com:
6:30pm PDT Tonight!

It’s quite possibly our most ridiculous review yet. 😅

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stephen said:

asked Bradley when his review was out can't wait I think that's 10.30pm UK time?

Bradley from eevees.com:
6:30pm PDT Tonight!

It’s quite possibly our most ridiculous review yet. 😅

If I don't end up winning the Patton I hope one of you fine gents (or gals) do. Good luck!

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BKW said:

A little off topic, but I've noticed with Marty he doesn't seem to want to criticize wheels that he is being given for review.

Well, to be fair, Marty did harshly criticized the Commander Pro for poor build quality, and did not recommend the wheel. With what he showed in his video, I was not convinced that he was right. But Marty started his electric wheel journey since the beginning of time. He has ridden and owned a lot wheels and knows many electric wheel enthusiasts and insiders. So I need to be extra careful if I don't heed his warning.

Additionally, Marty has been continually putting down Gotway and Begode wheels' build quality openly, even though he would still recommend those wheels. (Mind you with the EX30's, the build quality has improved.)

Some may say that is a contradiction in terms, but to the Begode performance addicts, I think they consider it as the price of admission. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bradley from @eevees said if he could only own ONE wheel, it would be the Patton. That's some high praise. #pattongang strong. When the Patton gets here, i'm going to treat it like my child. I'm playing catch with it, singing it to sleep, and tucking it in at night.

• Haha 1

just finished watching the latest eevees review vid on the Patton.  the only question i really want to ask is about the comment they made on the BMS on the Patton.

they said that the Pattons BMS is not a 'smart' BMS which is what is the direction that inmotion and kingsong are taking.  does not having the 'smart' version of a BMS make the Patton's BMS system less reliable or less informative ?  i question the advantage of a 'smart' BMS, since i saw this vid posted by Hsiang of a kingsong wheel engulfed in flames and basically behaving like an amazing fireball..., did that euc that was on fire have a 'smart' BMS ???  on a lighter note,  would a 'smart' BMS make ownership of the Patton more reliable and charging the battery pack more safer ?  please excuse my emphasis on this 'smart' BMS stuff but my impression of most eucs is that there is a battery charging circuit,  but i didnt think that these charging circuits could be that sophisticated...nor do i know enuf on the 'smart' BMS to decide whether or not it is necessary in my next purchase of an euc...

5 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

Did anyone on here win the Patton? I certainty did not.

I wonder what the winner did to beat everyone else.

The size of the QR-Code images was big enough so everyone who was watching the video would have spotted them.

Once the last code was shown, the person who can scan the code and type in the code and press enter first, wins.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of people missing out by fraction of a second.

16 minutes ago, bpong said:

just finished watching the latest eevees review vid on the Patton.  the only question i really want to ask is about the comment they made on the BMS on the Patton.

they said that the Pattons BMS is not a 'smart' BMS which is what is the direction that inmotion and kingsong are taking.  does not having the 'smart' version of a BMS make the Patton's BMS system less reliable or less informative ?  i question the advantage of a 'smart' BMS, since i saw this vid posted by Hsiang of a kingsong wheel engulfed in flames and basically behaving like an amazing fireball..., did that euc that was on fire have a 'smart' BMS ???  on a lighter note,  would a 'smart' BMS make ownership of the Patton more reliable and charging the battery pack more safer ?  please excuse my emphasis on this 'smart' BMS stuff but my impression of most eucs is that there is a battery charging circuit,  but i didnt think that these charging circuits could be that sophisticated...nor do i know enuf on the 'smart' BMS to decide whether or not it is necessary in my next purchase of an euc...

"Smart" BMS allows you to see the cell group voltages.  You can tell by looking whether your pack is well balanced and whether or not you have any cells that are beginning to fail. 

The KS S20 fire was due to a BMS firmware bug.  A similar fire on an S22 is unlikely now that rhe bug has been fixed.

It would have been great if Patton had a smart BMS, but since there have only been a few wheels with a smart BMS, I wouldn't hinge my decision on whether it has a smart BMS or not.  Leaperkim has a good tract record so I'm not too concerned.  Definatly a nice to have though.

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh