How important are boots really?

Always gone with boots too, I get a bit concerned when see videos of others riding without ankle protection, let alone other protective gear. Of course we’re riding in cooler conditions than many, but any warmer ambient temperature won’t save anyone from pain and injury if they wear inappropriate footwear and come a cropper. I see stout boots as being part of the essential protective gear, pretty much for the very same reasons outlined above, though I’m sure others may have differing views.

Edited by Freeforester
  • Like 3

I wear always ankle high safety boots. It has saved by feet few times after crash from pulled ligament and pedals hitting to the Achilles tendon.

15 minutes ago, Ben-To said:

It would seem that boots without braces would transfer energy to the knee which would be worse than an ankle injury.  I imagine both would be best.

In MX your extended feet might get stuck to the ground or under bike and get twisted. A tight MC boot could transfer pressure from ankle to shin bones and knee. With a EUC this scenario is not very likely. We fly the head first.

• Like 1

I mostly wear Merrell hiking boots, waterproof, 'almost' high tops. They've been really good BUT I'm thinking something with better toe protection is in order. My one 'moving quickly' overlean incident got me thinking about how my toes would drag on the pavement and sand through pretty easily. The Merrells did fine (speed was very low so the slide was short), but something like @gon2fast's roofing boots or perhaps some tactical or even Redwing work boots would do better. Provided they're warm, have room for my feet to move inside, and they must be waterproof. When I'm on the MTen picking up trash, I wear tennis/walking shoes... too lazy to pull on the boots.

• Like 1

@The Brahan Seer it is a good question of your OP.

The short version. I really don't know and this is likely to be different from rider to rider and how and where they ride. 

My personal experience is I ride with wheel free floating or mostly only resting to right leg. I prefer not to have side pads or only limited pads vs power and jump pads. Most or my riding is commuting rides or shopping. But sometimes I do get adventurous. And do "crazy" off roads/raw mountain rides like on my visit to @mrelwoodin Finland this October.

I have small feet like size 8US or 40.5EU.so my toes mostly stay on pedals without much overhang. 

Only during learning I had a bruised ankle due to famous EUC ballet dance. 

My preferred shoes has been Vans Slip-on. And even more with Inmotion hex pedal for V11. I just got some Vans SK8-HI MTE-3 boots in goretex and with light winter warn lining. I expect them to be too warm for my summer rides (25-30C). So I just bought 2 new sets of shoes from Vans. To replace my black once. The Solomon shoes didn't work out for me as I get feet pain big time fast. 

These pedals allow use of different shoes.

I prefer as flat shoes as possible. I have use Merell slip-on before but not happy with these for riding after I got my Vans. 

Both the new Vans are slip-on, but different colour and texture to my old ones. They are not made of cutton/canvas but some sort of artificial fabric. 

0000208539784_01_rz.jpg

I got them from this store:

https://www.efootwear.eu/plimsolls-vans-mod-slip-on-vn0a4tzz1wn1m-66-supply-grapeleafsmoke.html

And these (admitted these are Very "green"):

0000206954640_1_.jpg

Also from same store. 

https://www.efootwear.eu/plimsolls-vans-classic-slip-on-vn0a4u38wt51-neon-green-gecko-tr-wht.html

The winter boots I got from Vans own webstore:

https://www.vans.se/shop/en-gb/vans-se/sk8-hi-gore-tex-mte-3-shoes-vn0a5i116mp

Vans SK8-HI GORE-TEX MTE-3 first real ride

The boots are a bit more stuff in the soles and have a memory foam kinda inner sole. You can find pictures from different angels on the linked websites as source. 

I prefer free movement of my ankles as I use these to mitigate bumps due to having bad knees. I know there is a risk to not having ankles locked as in ski boots, but so far it has worked for me. I have crashed and have had to walk/run off a wheel from time to time. But using shoes like the slip-on has been to my benafit so far. 

You can find more about the boots in my V11 review thread. (for now I didn't look it up and linking it, so up just Google it). 

There might be a day where I wished for more ridged boots. 

The very green shoes I bought to match my other gear. 

Winter gear december 2021

• Like 1

Boots? Dunno, I havent worn any when riding an euc. I prefer flat soled shoes like @Unventor shows. I switched to a more hiking type low cut shoe, and quickly realized that spike pedals like a flat and repeated pattern sole. I've always prefered light shoes. I did wear boots at the shop, but never steel toes. I am certain I've seen an NYC rider toss off at speed and watched his shoes fly. Hell, it happens all the time on bicycles, skateboard, getting hit by cars.. Tis true that feet are less protected if your shoes fly off, but I dont recall that slight, being the majority of sustained damage. I think its more a matter of comfort and control. Altho, we have riders here who can attest that a pedal to the tendon can be serious.

I have a set of work boots and MotoX boots. I simply dont feel comfortable with my ability to control the wheel in them. So.... I put my faith in avoiding the fall when possible. Having quick feet to get them under me is a plus. I do get my fair share of ankle biters, but more often I magically get my feet under me and sustain nothing. Boots would protect the feet, but I'm not sure they'd get under me with such grace. MAYBE if I were to attack an offroad ride with angst in a REAL offroad area, I'd give my work boots a look. Not for the ankle support/restriction, but merely toe protection from kicking rocks from low pedals.

I think whatever gives you the most control and comfort, is what you should wear. Those more safety minded than I (most people) would probably rather protect first and simply get used to it. My personal order of importance, puts safety a bit down the list in general. Ride with what you like, its YOUR magic carpet.... Seatbelt, no smoking, tray tables.... you're the pilot! Emergency exits are everywhere, no worries.:cheers:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Came off the wheel at about 15kph on a road once.

One fly knit running shoe was totally destroyed.

One ankle was scraped, luckily not too badly.

One hip was bruised with a bit of road rash.

If ankle(s) are damaged, incredibly difficult to repair with surgery as it is a complicated joint.

Possible permanent disability, walk with a limp or not at all.

• Like 2

Big fan of always wearing gear and boots. I took a chance on the Highway 21 Axle Shoe which is marketed as casual motorcycle boots to replace the subpar hiking boots I was using. Result: 10/10! Reinforcement everywhere you want it including ankle coverage while still maintaining good flexibility + feeling/control + comfort while riding. Even has a great flat pattern for traction with studded pedals. I went with a half size under my normal size. Short break-in period too.

If your feet aren't too wide, I can't recommend these enough.

• Like 3

https://mileylegal.com/blog/motorcycle-foot-injury/

Suffering an injury in a motorcycle accident is not only painful, but it can impact your mobility for the rest of your life.

The most common types of lower-extremity injuries from an accident include:

• Soft tissue damage
  • Fractured bones
  • Ankle injuries
  • Amputation
  • Lacerations
  • Leg Injuries

Initially, a foot injury almost always means you cannot bear weight and walk for days, weeks, or months, depending on the severity of the injury. Casts, braces, and surgery might also be involved.

After medical care, and even surgery to repair soft tissues or bones in your foot, you might face long-term mobility struggles, chronic pain, nerve damage, and arthritis for life.

Second, you must not underestimate the benefit of wearing protective gear. The single most effective way to protect your feet and prevent injuries while riding is to wear a sturdy pair of motorcycle boots. Often made of hard leather, boots can absorb much of the impact to your feet if an accident occurs.

Multiple surgeries can cost tens of thousands of dollars, making it difficult to afford the medical care an accident victim needs.

• Like 2

Broke an ankle on a cut off (bones not displaced fortunately, but still hurt a lot for quite along time), was wearing quality mc hi tops which reduced the damage (level 1 at ankles). Now I sometimes add protective socks (those I found also have shinbone protection ) or pieces of D30 along with level 2 hi tops (hard to find). I find mc boots have soles that are too thin/hard which reduces pedal control and grip.

• Like 3

Thank you for everyones responses. I think in the summer I will buy some casual motorcycle boots. I currently use safety boots or 30 year old climbing boots (flat soled) in the summer and 30 year old Motorcycle leather boots (flat sole exactly the same as the climbing boot by pure coincidence)  with shin protection in winter. They are a size larger for extra socks. Safe riding everyone.

Like @Unventorand @ShanesPlanet, I've gradually gravitated towards essentially flat soled shoes, but with almost no treads. If you're coming off the EUC with heavy boots, then there's a good chance your knees will hit the pavement first.

I suggest riding your EUC across a grass field with moderately short grass and see what kind of shoes works best for the inevitable bail.

I’ve tried a few. Some of them shown here:

1CC8519F-E753-4D82-A276-6A5858097ED8.jpeg.93608f5b35dd3e24eb0e35fef46878ea.jpeg

Twisted my ankle three times until I found shoes that allow riding much further without pain or numbness, protects the ankle from skin damage, and supports when jumping off and landing badly on a tree root.

It’s the one I placed at the front, a very light Salomon hiking boot. Unlike one might think from the comments above, it definitely doesn’t make my ankle immobile in any way, and doesn’t prevent even a steep ankle angle. Sure, I might run slightly faster with a dedicated running shoe, but that window is way too narrow to choose insufficiently protecting shoes for. These are great pieces of modern tech!

I did replace the insoles for cushioning and an even better personal fit.

• Like 1

i wear steel toed work boots, Dakota Quad comfort line is the only boot i can find with EEE wide toes, good support for my bum ankle, theyre really comfortable and the only other footwear i have are crocs and a pair of dress shoes wide feet elimates 99% of foot wear

https://www.marks.com/en/dakota-mens-steel-toe-composite-plate-quad-comfort-leather-8-inch-work-boots-tan-color-tan-29739.html?color=on&size=on&width=on&quantity=1#29739[color]=TAN&29739[size]=10+1%2F2&29739[width]=WID

• Like 2

I was a diehard Vans guy until I dropped a 500lb piece of concrete on my left foot. All my shoes/boots had to have protection after that, but sometimes that isn't even enough.

image.jpg

The gash in my boot is from a stock Sherman pedal. I tried to jump ship when I was about to hit an unexpected obstacle (curb) and things went wrong. As I was hitting the ground the wheel jumped up and made contact with my foot and shin. Foot was protected, but I have a nice scar on my shin. There was a plastic shell that protected the heel, but it was compromised during the crash and has been replaced Gorilla Tape and Flex Seal spray... I am sure that works just as well.  

• Like 1

I wear Lowa 8” hiking boots after breaking my ankle (the soft tissue damage was the real problem though).

While I was learning to ride and doing figure 8’s, I got super aggressive with leaning and accelerating out of the turn. I basically bounced the pedal off the ground and fell off. The fall didn’t hurt me, it was the 45lb wheel that trampled & twisted my ankle. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 1:22 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

Have you ever hurt your feet?

While trying to see how fast I could go on a bicycle I managed to get the chain off the front cog and somehow managed to snap the foot from the ankle and the ankle from the leg bone. That was decades ago and the foot repaired fine. Later I managed to crash a 1300cc motorbike at about 80mph but cleverly managed to squeeze myself between the bike and the road so there wasn't much damage to the bike. Unfortunately, because I was only wearing tennis gear, I didn't come out so well and the same foot needed screwing back together for a whole new set of breaks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

cleverly managed to squeeze myself between the bike and the road so there wasn't much damage to the bike.

If you're good at that, I bet it comes in handy when you lay your wheel down too. Can't have those clark pads getting sanded down, those babies are expensive.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1