How important are boots really?

Let me tell you, it didn't hurt at all...if you believe me? When this happen I was wheeling overseas, afterwards I just kept on riding... I must be hard headed, I am still not wearing something to protect my ankles!!! :laughbounce2: But please do!

Screenshot_20211210_124352_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 2

Helpful to see how common this kind of injury is.

I got these outrageous SK-481 Ankle Protectors from Komine a while back, but hesitated to recommend them because I wasn't sure how much they were needed. I'll definitely recommend these for heavier wheels now. They're definitely sturdy enough to deflect pedals, and they seem a lot cheaper and more convenient than a full armored motorcycle boot. Non-Japanese people can buy them here.

And I wonder why it always seems to be a Sherman in these accidents? ... Maybe it's because the Sherman is the most popular of the heavy wheels.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Skeptikos said:

And I wonder why it always seems to be a Sherman in these accidents? ... Maybe it's because the Sherman is the most popular of the heavy wheels.

Yep that's pretty much it.  The Sherman has been pretty much the wheel of choice for those with speed and adrenaline on their minds.  Changing of course now that newer contenders are appearing like the Commander, Monster Pro which I'm sure will make unfortunate appearances in future crash footage.  

mcm5..jpg.153a89ff41e895f7b323115adcf3915c.jpg

When they launch it a few years back, their promotional video showing this guy in offroad boots, at that time i was thinking that they are over doing it ^_^ Now that i've tried it, i must say its a must with spike pedal for offroading ! Having said that, it does takes a while of getting use to. Now i can whack over any MTB rock gardens, tree trunks & jumping with ease, it super easy to grip, no need pads B) Also got mine dirt cheap about USD30 only :lol:

Some recent relevant videos below

Spoiler

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:43 AM, Skeptikos said:

They're definitely sturdy enough to deflect pedals, and they seem a lot cheaper and more convenient than a full armored motorcycle boot. Non-Japanese people can buy them here.

They are probably worse than a boot for hyperextension or dislocation prevention but should be good for deflection indeed. They are also very convenient for commuters: you can use low cut shoes/sneakers and simply remove this armor on arrival without changing footwear. 

Personally I use boots (hiking or winter boots) in cold times and sneakers + ankle protectors (these basic ones, worn over socks) in warm weather. A problem with high and heavy boots is that they can be thick around the shin. This leads to a less comfortable stance: you have to either move your feet further away from the shell or deal with the pressure on the shin (should be comparable to the experience produced by wide shell/thick pad EUCs)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've scratch my ankle enough to only wear high top shoes anymore. I saw a guys chop his achilles tendon.

I also lost my big toes nail after a nasty car crash. Cut your nails(pretty sure the shoes force the nails inward). I'm not sure a metal cap would have saved my nail.

• Like 1