Mango

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I have to say that the hammer is a classic way to free bolts that have seized, usually due to the slight galvanic incompatibility of steel and aluminum. It's a trick that's in every mechanic's bag... unless the bolt is defective it's a non-problem.

i've used hammer and chisel before on bolts and nuts, but in this case, probably with loctite applied, heat would be my first choice. using an allen wrench and lighter.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22E0D207-5B48-4D3A-815B-CBC56F04D2CD.jpeg.2a1bb367afefd1c5b1af48a5fd4f26f3.jpeg

Are there scrape marks around the bolt holes, that arc around the center of the axis? Or are they just the texture on the part itself, elsewhere covered with grease?

If the indent in the rail is very tightly made, a part like that might easily be left binding and not sitting flush. Or if they tightened one bolt fully before tightening others. Or if there was some crud left in between. In all these cases the rail could sit itself in properly later on, leaving the bolts badly loose.

The force that axle bolts generally need to be tightened with makes me pretty sure that over tightening wasn’t the reason for them to snap. Then again, you can do some nasty stuff with an impact wrench. But one has to be pretty n00by to do that…

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Also, if this happened while riding. Why aren't the wires all twisted up?

Looks like the axle nub isn’t round, but has slots in it that fit in the indent in the rail preventing it from rotating around.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

Looks like the axle nub isn’t round, but has slots in it that fit in the indent in the rail preventing it from rotating around.

Yeah i had thought of that but if they snapped off while someone was riding it then it  would have had to spread both sides apart and out of the slotted area. otherwise it would have just remained locked in and nobody would have noticed. That was my original point, if it was still locked into that recessed area in the slide then nobody would have noticed, only by coming out of that recessed area would the wheel start "jackhammering" as they stated. And we would have also been provided the damage to the ALUMINUM slide also. wouldn't we?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, techyiam said:

Below is Bob Yan's reply to the thread in question on Facebook.  Noticed it's anecdotal with a lot of assumptions. Too bad he did not include details, and clear pictures of the fractured surfaces of the bolts, the recessed area in the slider, and the axle end.

Those axle bolts have countersunk heads. Therefore, if the bolts are not sufficiently tight (allowing relative motion between the slider and the axle), the back and forth torqueing would at the same time cause the bolt head to pull on the bolt shrank, due to the taper shape of the head. But telltale signs should also be evident on the slider recessed area.

If this is indeed the case, or something equivalent, then I think it is onerous upon Inmotion to provide the required tightening torque, or simply use stronger bolts.

Isn't the sliders made of aluminum. It is hard to believe the bolts would under normal loading. If the installation needs to be this sensitive, stronger bolts should be used.

14 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I have to say that the hammer is a classic way to free bolts that have seized, usually due to the slight galvanic incompatibility of steel and aluminum. It's a trick that's in every mechanic's bag... unless the bolt is defective it's a non-problem.

Hmmmmm. It IS a trick of the trade... but I've seen even Mil-spec fasteners die grisly deaths at the hands of strong, impatient dummies.

12 hours ago, novazeus said:

i've used hammer and chisel before on bolts and nuts, but in this case, probably with loctite applied, heat would be my first choice. using an allen wrench and lighter.

I was taught never to use a torch directly on a part unless you have no choice (and if you effed up a part with a hammer/chisel, you might get some unrequested time off). One of the tricks we used for loctite was: take a fat copper wire and put it in/on the screw head, then use a torch to heat the copper, which heats the screw without torching everything around it. (Or: soldering iron). Patience is a virtue (even though I have none).

When you said allen wrench and lighter, I pictured what works if no copper wire or soldering iron: an allen wrench, which makes lots of contact with a socket head screw and transfers enough heat pretty quick. Don't know if that's what you meant, but good point either way...

Edited by UPONIT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UPONIT said:

When you said allen wrench and lighter, I pictured what works if no copper wire or soldering iron: an allen wrench, which makes lots of contact with a socket head screw and transfers enough heat pretty quick. Don't know if that's what you meant, but good point either way...

yeah, i have a brand new soldering iron, but it was 60' away in another container, plus  it uses electricity, 

so typical me, i improvised with what i had, and it worked great. i took a standard allen wrench and got one end red hot with the lighter, and put it in the bolt, worked great!

i'm a very disorganized mechanic, so improvising is what i do best. 

plus when u live in half of a high cube, ur life becomes improvisation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dangasaur said:

I unboxed and aired up just 30 minutes ago and here are my first impressions.

It's a big wheel and it feels 2x the size of the Shermax I rode last spring.  It's also very narrow and doesn't feel like your hips and legs have to swing out to stand or ride it.  It's extremely heavy but the handles on the front and back do make it pretty easy to maneuver around.  Trolley handle feels super solid, way better than I expected.  The quality is superb and even after all of the unboxing videos and media I was still in awe.

Riding... oh boy.  I just wanted to get a feel for it without pads so my plan was to take it around the cul-de-sac.  For reference, my daily driver is a 100% stock V11 (no pads, no fancy pedals) that I can flick all around and feels like a natural extension of my body.  On the V13, when I leaned forward to get a little speed I nearly fell off the front of the wheel.  When I leaned back to brake, I nearly fell off the back.  Caught me completely off guard.  I had mixed success with low speed maneuvering but I think it's just going to require intentional practice.  I have no plans to ride again until I can configure the pads.

I would say pads is a must for big/heavy wheels.. Just for braking and acceleration alone. And "locking" yourself in pedals.

At one point i even thought about getting pads for my 18xl. But latter i said nah.. Not worth for my style of riding.

1 hour ago, dangasaur said:

On the V13, when I leaned forward to get a little speed I nearly fell off the front of the wheel.  When I leaned back to brake, I nearly fell off the back.  Caught me completely off guard.

😄 Right? It's real. It is hard to explain to someone who has never tried a big motor 22" wheel.

For me, it was an Abrams. Without pads, there is no pedal sensitivity to speak of. Another thing is rotational inertia; it's a lot higher on the V13.

That's why I don't reccomend someone to start on a V13. The rider never gets the chance to learn the basics when the rider is busy dealing with all this extra stuff that only come into play with big heavy wheels. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dangasaur said:

It's also very narrow and doesn't feel like your hips and legs have to swing out to stand or ride it.

That's what I like about Inmotion wheels, nice and slim allowing for very comfortable stance.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My first wheel is an Inmotion V11 and agree about the feel of the wheel, nice and slim . My main factors when deciding what wheel to get though was safety and build quality so in my mind a no brainer. Subsequent safety stories since buying wrt other brands has not changed my opinion.

I’m only at the early stages of learning on the the V11 but at the present time the only wheel I’d look to upgrade to is the V13. Build quality, build in safety redundancy, IP ratings, etc.. I am continually amazed at customers acceptance of poor, risky build  quality re safety on many of the other wheels. But then again I would never “push the bees” so maybe I’m not the target audience 

Edited by Stevebee
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1