What speed are you satisfied with?

EUCandME

35 is the fastest I've gone yet on the V12, but usually I cruise around 30mph/50kph if I'm on a well paved road/path and have good visibility. So far not craving more speed than my wheel can provide. I commute on my wheel and there are some rough patches on the bike paths I usually take, so I probably slow down to around 20mph for those sections. I imagine if I went offroading I would not want to go anywhere close to 30mph.

• Like 1

I live in near a senior community in Orange County, California, and don't feel comfortable riding in the streets. Most of my recent riding is on a bike trail, with only a few pedestrians, bikes, ... . There are a lot of cuves, inclines, and declines to make the ride intersting. My main concern is the occasional rabbit running across the trail, so I leave my V8F max speed at 15.5 mph, with most of my riding between 10 mph to 14 mph, slowing to 8 mph for inclines or declines. I'm only doing 20 to 30 minute rides, so range isn't an issue. I'll probably increase the max speed to 18 mph or so, since I weigh 190 lbs and would want some margin below the 21.6 mph max to avoid cutout. I've got about 95 miles on the V8F. In my case I have a 2001 Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle, so I have a fun vehicle that I mostly ride on the freeway, which probably reduces the desire for more speed on an EUC.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Unventor said:

Just a reflection on this. 

Be ing able to go 60kmh will not solve this. Think this way I view this as fooling yourself. 

Most car drivers dislike being behind a truck or lorry. So despite the truck is going as fast as speed limit in on that road most car drivers will push pass and find a option to do this. 

I will argue that car drivers do the same with mopeds and due to this will do this too if you ride an EUC. 

It is about taking your place in traffic so car drivers takes less chances putting you at higher risk while they do this.

Chance or risk taking happens all the time. So that is why I don't ride in car lanes especially heavy traffic once.

If you for whatever reason have a crash most car drivers do not keep the safe distance to react. The higher speed and dense traffic the less chance you have escape harm and the risk of causing mayhem with rogue tumbling wheel that is out of control. The chain reaction alone of this can be very severe. 

The reason this is different in the need to self balancing Vs a bike/moped/MC/car that doesn't have the same need to balance. People that doesn't ride doesn't understand this. And even EUC riders tend to forget.

I should elaborate - I'm really only talking about riding in light traffic or very light traffic.  I usually try and catch up to a car and then trail that using it as a sort of mine sweeper for vehicles pulling out of driveways etc.  This works really well with a lot of the back roads I use since they have speed bumps and cars generally slow down more than me to go over them giving me a chance to catch up.  I just feel like an extra 10km/h of speed would make this both easier and safer.  Even better if this extra 10km/h still wasn't the max speed available so that I have a safety margin.

As soon as the roads start getting busier I move to either a cycle lane if available or foot path and adjust my speed accordingly.  I'm lucky in that I can do most of my commuting on quiet back roads or cycle ways.

When I bought my wheel I was adamant that I wouldn't be using it on the road but when the road is virtually empty it's so much easier and safer to ride.  Way better vision, smoother surface and less obstacles.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

At speeds below 15mph I wonder whether I should really be on my bicycle. At speeds around 25mph I feel I'm totally in control and it feels like I'm on a magic carpet ride - in other words it's fun. At 30+mph speeds it just feels like I'm going to have an accident and that perhaps I should of taken the motorbike. Perhaps it's an age thing, but I don't have much to prove by risking life and limb on a unicycle.

It's also a totally different situation over here in the UK compared to America. Every time we pass a police car we're running the risk of having our wheels taken off us plus a fine plus getting halfway towards a driving ban. If I get stopped once then those points on my driving license will mean the insurance cost on all my vehicles will at least double. If I get done twice then I can't ride my motorbikes or drive a car for 3 years. We're illegal because we don't have insurance but insurance isn't available to us because we're seen as illegal - Catch 22. It's a stupid situation over here and I'll admit I have very low opinion of the police, the law and the courts because of all this but nevertheless that's the way it is. Having an EUC that looks like a one wheeled motorbike just makes it more likely for you to be stopped and also less likely to be allowed into coffee shops etc when I go through the door.

The V10F is a fairly innocuous looking machine but it will go a lot further than your current ride, it will be more comfortable and it will be able to go faster but without killing you.

Wow that's a pretty draconian situation.  I don't think NZ law makers have given EUC's much thought so far and long may that last.  Also our police (in Auckland at least) are notoriously slack at enforcing all the little laws like not using cellphones in cars, running red lights etc. etc.  I guess if you did something really really stupid right in front of them they may and that's a big may pull you over but seriously I've seen people do the most outrageous things right in front of police and they're zero fucks given about it.   I think in your situation I'd be opting for an inconspicuous machine as well or only riding it off road.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SorenStarr said:

Being able to go 45+mph is pretty awesome. I'd definitely go faster if the wheel can handle it. Perhaps when freespin speeds on new wheels start to hit the 75-80mph we will finally push past 60mph.

Holy Sh*t how do you even get on the EUC with those massive balls??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rcgldr said:

I weigh 190 lbs and would want some margin below the 21.6 mph max to avoid cutout.

Just to make sure that you know, there is still a reasonable margin of power headroom left at the V8F max speed. One of the main reasons we debated above whether the top speed is a reasonable meter for power headroom, was that if Begode started selling the exact same V8F hardware (with a removable tilt-back), it’s top speed would be referred to as something like 30-33 mph (free spin speed of the V8F is 37 mph). Inmotion limits the top speed with a tilt-back at 22 mph, so there is still 10 mph of headroom left.

I couldn’t find the exact no-load speed of the 16X, but despite it being a 31 mph wheel vs the 22 mph on the V8F, IIRC the 16X no-load speed wasn’t much higher than what’s on the V8F.

Because of this, despite my weight of ~230 lbs I personally wouldn’t avoid riding at max speed on the V8F in order not to have a cutout. Of course, I wouldn’t ride at 22 mph if I didn’t feel stable or otherwise safe enough. But a cutout doesn’t seem to be any closer than on the trusty 16S.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Just to make sure that you know, there is still a reasonable margin of power headroom left at the V8F max speed. One of the main reasons we debated above whether the top speed is a reasonable meter for power headroom, was that if Begode started selling the exact same V8F hardware (with a removable tilt-back), it’s top speed would be referred to as something like 30-33 mph (free spin speed of the V8F is 37 mph). Inmotion limits the top speed with a tilt-back at 22 mph, so there is still 10 mph of headroom left.

I couldn’t find the exact no-load speed of the 16X, but despite it being a 31 mph wheel vs the 22 mph on the V8F, IIRC the 16X no-load speed wasn’t much higher than what’s on the V8F.

Because of this, despite my weight of ~230 lbs I personally wouldn’t avoid riding at max speed on the V8F in order not to have a cutout. Of course, I wouldn’t ride at 22 mph if I didn’t feel stable or otherwise safe enough. But a cutout doesn’t seem to be any closer than on the trusty 16S.

I read something similar with the V10F Inmotion restrict the speed of the wheel much more compared to other brands. Spec wise the V10F could go as fast as a kingsong etc however it is dialled down for more headroom.

For me 55kmh GPS speed (not padded wheel reported speed) is an absolute minimum to be able to cruise comfortably, 60kmh+ capability is preferred and being able to touch 70kmh now and then is more than welcome but not an absolute requirement.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Just to make sure that you know, there is still a reasonable margin of power headroom left at the V8F max speed. ... stable or safe enough

Thanks for the info. At the locations I ride at, there aren't many spots where I could go much faster than 15 mph, other than for a short burst of speed. I have tested tilt back at 25 kph <=> 15.5 mph, with an indicated 16 mph, without issue on a 2000+ foot long and wide pathway. (I had previously tested tilt back at 15 kph and 20 kph). There have been a few posts about new riders getting speed wobble when first going around 20 mph, which I want to avoid. Still it's nice to know that I could increase to 20 mph when I find a suitable location and feel comfortable with trying it out with slow 1 mph increases in speed. I'm at 7 weeks and 97 miles on the V8F now.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Wearing expensive looking clothing and stlyings that a 'mature' person wears, coupled with behavior, is gna be your only hope. I'd imagine an euc is an euc to a cop. I dont think you can go fast and look like your riding a tiny toy, its just not gna happen.

On 9/18/2021 at 3:40 PM, Spaghetteh said:

I have no experience with the V10F but it seems to be a popular pick. However, remember that 25mph is the max speed and is dependent on battery state. If you want a little extra headroom, a little smoother of a ride, and can spare the extra cost I'd recommend considering the 18XL (31mph max speed).

10 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

I think in your situation I'd be opting for an inconspicuous machine as well or only riding it off road.  

On 9/18/2021 at 5:11 PM, EUCandME said:

Honestly your right. Maybe it’s more the attitude I adopt. I try to be as honest as possible when they ask. Maybe because I knew the specs were much higher doesn’t mean that they do. Like you said maybe just confidence is key. I once asked if it would be something I could get into trouble for and my response was. “It’s a bloody wheel mate of course not” not going to lie I had a smile on my face ahah 

This thread reminds me of @ShanesPlanet solution for his 18XL when he did not want to attract attention. He simply went invisible by going total blackout. Even if the wheel was able to be seen, it would be hiding in plain sight ... inconspicuous.

Seriously though, if the 18XL (a conservative appearing wheel) is not fast enough, the the Nik+ would certainly be and has the same conservative look. 

• Like 1

I almost never ride faster than 13, 14mph. Any faster and a bicycle helmet wont offer enough protection anymore, the wind will make my eyes water behind my glasses and the wind noise rushing past my ears will become uncomfortable. I am fine with that, I ride EUC to relax and smell the flowers. When I want more speed I get on my 1250ccm Bandit.

• Like 3

I think there are two aspects of EUC riding: fun and practicality. Fun part comes with pushing the limits, learning new tricks, getting thrills. Practicality is about saving money and time. And every machine has characteristics providing more of one or another. I guess, some of us only have fun with EUC's and the majority combine both. But I cannot imagine "practicality" without "fun". And therefore, I hardly could imagine someone not wanting to go "just a little bit faster" or "just a little bit further/steeper/off-roader" and keep on riding an EUC...

The only limit in "going further" is the compromise of the practicality part for the sake of fun (e.g. the wheel is too expensive or too heavy, etc.). My ideal EUC has the size (and build quality/weather protection) of V12, the suspension of S18/20, the battery of Sherman/Abrams, the speed of Monster Pro and the weight of Mten3. :-)

• Like 3

I think it's possible to have a shred of sensibility up to 40mph. Beyond that, unless the roads are completely memorized or it's a closed course, I think it's safe to say that'd be egregiously speeding. Going 40mph is faster than any eyes could scan for road conditions and hazards or react safely to them.

I got a wheel that can do and bit more, and now I feel set up for the foreseeable future. I don't have to worry about the wheel not being able to keep up ever. I'm just waiting for some more advancements in stability through suspension before I revisit my personal speed cap. 

12 hours ago, That Guy said:

Fun part comes with pushing the limits, learning new tricks, getting thrills. Practicality is about saving money and time. And every machine has characteristics providing more of one or another. I guess, some of us only have fun with EUC's and the majority combine both. But I cannot imagine "practicality" without "fun". And therefore, I hardly could imagine someone not wanting to go "just a little bit faster" or "just a little bit further/steeper/off-roader" and keep on riding an EUC...

Your info shows you own a 16X which is a great wheel but it has a recommended top speed of about 25mph. Thrilling on a 16X is about 27mph and knowing that it's very likely to cut out if the battery ever dips below 40%.