New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

SPB has some nice mods to the Abrams. Looking forward to see the new chassis you have. Hopefully can accommodate double the battery? 

AADE7997-2BD2-48E0-8B54-0C9958DDCD9B.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Wow. Now that's a well loved wheel! Without the roll bars, the shell looks like a tombstone. Or a coffin. Maybe your next paint project?

The wheel is stylized under the game Half Life 2

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

So even seated is not recommended on that wheel?? Seated is the biggest positive point of the abrams, oh man.....

I personally do not ride sitting, because I looked at what it all relies on and realized that the design is very flimsy and decided not to buy a seat. There is such a thing as "metal fatigue", so at one moment silumin can crack and fall apart. It is one thing when aluminum is cast at the plant, it has its own strength parameters, and another thing when small-scale production from silumin is underway.
when 10 kg from the battery hangs on supports on each side, and another thing is when another uncle weighing 100 kg sits on top, that is, 50 kg per side.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring back a long unused topic, but a couple of the vendors are starting to sell the abrams very cheap and I am wondering it the firmware update fixed the problems and I should pick one up? FreeMotion is selling them for $2400 which seems like a VERY good deal if the issues are fixed. Was there a problem with bearings as well or just the firmware?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fuerte said:

Sorry to bring back a long unused topic, but a couple of the vendors are starting to sell the abrams very cheap and I am wondering it the firmware update fixed the problems and I should pick one up? FreeMotion is selling them for $2400 which seems like a VERY good deal if the issues are fixed. Was there a problem with bearings as well or just the firmware?

No issues except being a cutout wheel abandoned by Leaperkim… even sub 2k$ is not worth it.

3 hours ago, Fuerte said:

I should pick one up?

It depends on what kind of riding you want...

Its utility is limited. Abrams is tall and heavy and doesn't tolerate mud or debris. 
If you live on the ground floor and don't mind "lack of nimbleness" and don't need to ride offroad and don't need 3600wh... sure.

Or, your $2400 could go towards something that is sporty offroad, or has a cushy suspension, or is just easier to transport.

(I have a local with an Abrams, and after riding it my larger-battery knobby-tire Sherman felt small and nimble... and MSX weightless.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

They never fixed the cutout issues?

The Australian stock that I'm aware of never had the cutout issues as they had different hall effect sensors that were not as noisy electrically. Leaperkim's fixes for the cutouts for earlier stock in the US and Phillipines consisted of both the software (more tolerant to interruptions in hall sensor) and hardware (different hall sensor).

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fuerte said:

I was under the impression they did, but I don’t know for sure.

I was on the new firmware (had just updated it) and mine cut out giving me a hall error that eventually went away. I returned mine to ewheels. I wouldn't recommend getting one even for that price I liked the ride but it's just not worth gambling on

• 1 month later...

Well...after going back and forth for a long time and still having no definitive update on the V13, I pull the trigger on an Abrams from EEVEE's. They have them seriously discounted with new tire, rim, motor and firmware. I still want a V13 in the future, but from what I understand this should solve any unwarranted cutouts. I will update if I notice anything.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fuerte said:

Well...after going back and forth for a long time and still having no definitive update on the V13, I pull the trigger on an Abrams from EEVEE's. They have them seriously discounted with new tire, rim, motor and firmware. I still want a V13 in the future, but from what I understand this should solve any unwarranted cutouts. I will update if I notice anything.

Would be great to hear your first impressions, riding experiences, etc. It's been a while we haven't talked about Abrams here... :-)

My controller after 4000km. Not a speck of dust or water ingress. My chassis is flexing where the tire will easily rub the inner fender. It does seem the flex is from the bar that spans the axle to the front/back but I am not sure. 

D64E0273-9D5F-4A83-AEDB-D60AA7B5A46C.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/7/2022 at 10:40 PM, Kekafuch said:

My controller after 4000km. Not a speck of dust or water ingress.

Did you have to seal the tail light with silicone yourself? 

Edited by techyiam

15 hours ago, kiitick said:

I LOVE the abrams.  I've been tempted to buy another one from eevee's because that is such a great price. I'd for sure sell my sherman to get another abrams.

Riding on main roads at 50+ mph, going over potholes, how would you rank your 3 wheels : Abrams, Sherman, and S22?

Those that have the Abrams, what siliconing do I need to do. In the reviews it looks like I need to plug the holes by the tail light, but anything else? I don't ride in bad weather so I am not too concerned, but I would like this to last. I have had my MSX 100V for 4 years and it is still going strong. Anything I need to do to make it better? I don't know if anyone has a recommendation on pedals or if the stocks are okay.

@techyiam

I would rank the wheels on main roads going 30 mph (that's about as fast as I ride) in this order. S22, Abrams, Sherman.  Although the abrams FEELS more massive, it has SO MUCH extra power behind it. But it is a tall sucker. It's too tall for my little brother, who is 5'8". It took me some time to get used to feeling the wheel against my knees and I'm 5'11". With the price of the abrams on eevee's, I've been seriously tempted to try and sell the sherman. It's a better ride, higher pedals, bigger tire.  But again, it's huge.