INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

I would be happy with an exchange of a new board. I've seen the Disassembly & Controller Replacement video from Inmotion and it doesn't look that complicated. I guess I would take the recall option but what would that involve? Would Inmotion replace my wheel with a new one or would I get a refund? I can't see Inmotion doing a recall, because of the cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

if you want to spend some time, match the specs of the existing part but up Vds to at least 120V (although I don't know if that's high enough to handle regen, ringing, temperature derating etc.) This link filters to only 120V Vds, you should change that to see parts that have higher Vds, they do exist.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/transistors-fets-mosfets-single/278?s=N4IgjCBcpgbFoDGUBmBDANgZwKYBoQB7KAbRABYwBmMcgDhAF0CAHAFyhAGU2AnASwB2AcxABfArAAM8aCGSR02fEVIgqAdjoBOXU1YdI3PkNESQAJhkM5CpbgLFIZMFYAEANX0h2nAKqC-GwA8igAsjhoWACuvDji5hZqLIQA7ji8bmHBXABiAKIAKt4ArAg%2BUGCsLJVSUuayoPwAJpzSDAacPAIiIARsAJ4s8UbNWMhiYkA

Note the 53 week lead times for quantity buys...

I'd start with this one, but its thermals are not nearly as good (3x the on resistance) and there are a ton of fine details but on the surface it would deserve a close look

https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronics/datasheets/discrete_mosfets/littelfuse_discrete_mosfets_n-channel_ultra_junction_ixt_150n15x4_datasheet.pdf.pdf

Edited by Tawpie
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Shane Dougherty said:

The light on the charger flickers red then green.  Back and forth. Would it harm anything to try my charger for my 84v Gotway Tesla v2?

I am not sure they share same pin configuration. Also they might have different charging algorithm (I am not sure how GW chargers works). 

I would suggest talking to your reseller. I don't recall what the blinking means. I have not had this myself on any Inmotion wheel yet. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Could it be that the connection/contact between the charger plug and the wheel is a bit loose?

Maybe push the plug into the wheel more firmly?

First thing I checked. 

The Gotway charger is only 84v but if it's the same pinout at least I'd know if I received a bad charger or if it was something in the wheel. 

2 hours ago, Shane Dougherty said:

First thing I checked. 

The Gotway charger is only 84v but if it's the same pinout at least I'd know if I received a bad charger or if it was something in the wheel. 

It is a different plug and will not fit.  I wouldn't risk it even if you could get it to fit, most likely result would be two borked EUCs.  If you know anyone else with a 100v wheel you could test your charger on theirs or test your V12 on their wheel.  All current 100v wheels use the same plug.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shane Dougherty said:

First thing I checked. 

You wont learn anything by trying to charge a 100v wheel with an 84v charger. At best, nothing will happen. At worst, youll be filing a claim with your fire insurance home policy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chester Copperpot said:

I had this issue and in my case it was caused by one of the connections from the battery where it plugs into the board. It appeared that when they pushed the connector onto the pins, the sleeve pushed out of the connector instead of sliding onto the pin.

It’s under a rubber boot so you can’t  really see it until you try to unplug it. Putting it back together fixed it and it then charged correctly. 

I'll check that

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shane Dougherty said:

I am reading 100v on ghe charger but the pinout numbers on the back of the charger look opposite to the end of the plug.  See numbers in photos. Numbers 1&2 measure positive and 4&5 negative but it looks the opposite on the charger diagram? 

20220123_120034.thumb.jpg.a8c87a848f7d418eb5b2a2b893639007.jpg

That matches the readings on my V12 charger as well. 1&2 measure positive 100V.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shane Dougherty said:

I am reading 100v on ghe charger but the pinout numbers on the back of the charger look opposite to the end of the plug.  See numbers in photos. Numbers 1&2 measure positive and 4&5 negative but it looks the opposite on the charger diagram? 

20220123_120034.thumb.jpg.a8c87a848f7d418eb5b2a2b893639007.jpg

16429583067608448689029290522996.thumb.jpg.2d7c0957b3dec46a33629cae52f6a2b9.jpg

36 minutes ago, Shane Dougherty said:

16429583067608448689029290522996.thumb.jpg.2d7c0957b3dec46a33629cae52f6a2b9.jpg

That's right. The diagram is illustrating the male EUC side of the connector (the pins) which is a mirror image of the female charger-side of the connector. Note that the numbers allign when you plug it in. 1->1, 2->2, 3->3, etc.  Hope that makes sense.

Although now that I look more closely, they have mislabeled positions 4&5--they are swapped in the diagram. Go figure.

Edited by Jeff Earl
Slight correction.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Jeff Earl said:

That's right. The diagram is illustrating the male EUC side of the connector (the pins) which is a mirror image of the female charger-side of the connector. Note that the numbers allign when you plug it in. 1->1, 2->2, 3->3, etc.  Hope that makes sense.

Although now that I look more closely, they have mislabeled positions 4&5--they are swapped in the diagram. Go figure.

I thought that was weird but at least I know my charger seems okay.  Now I'll need to pull my wheel apart.  Not sure that I want to do this knowing that a warranty fix should be coming for the control board? 

1 minute ago, Shane Dougherty said:

Not sure that I want to do this knowing that a warranty fix should be coming for the control board?

It’s your wheel, but if it were mine and it wouldn’t charge out of the box, and I knew that it might need a replacement drive board—I’d have already sent it back. These are too expensive to risk any questions about your warranty coverage… at the very least get in touch with your reseller right away if not sooner.

12 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

It’s your wheel, but if it were mine and it wouldn’t charge out of the box, and I knew that it might need a replacement drive board—I’d have already sent it back. These are too expensive to risk any questions about your warranty coverage… at the very least get in touch with your reseller right away if not sooner.

Reseller is Chicway on the other side of the world.  I have tried to contact them but have not gotten a reply yet.  I've got a foot of snow to deal with so riding won't happen soon but it drives me crazy not knowing what's wrong with it! I'll wait to hear from Chicway before I touch it. 

1 minute ago, Shane Dougherty said:

I'll wait to hear from Chicway before I touch it. 

That’s good to hear. I think they (or AliExpress) have a return policy—it’s not a liberal one though. Basically you can’t use it at all or you might not be able to send it back.

Serious bummer, good thing the riding weather is also not cooperating!