INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

12 minutes ago, supercurio said:

This will simulate some of the peak power demands

I am not sure this will work properly since this only recreates sudden tilts but there is no load. I assume that current is not a function of just tilt alone but more complicated than that. I would speculate that the very quick change in tilt produced by a curb makes the controller panic (the algorithm might extrapolate and think the wheel is about to tilt even further) and push an insane current as a response.

Still, the test is a good start and should be done. [Better yet, recreate the real cutout situation and do some curbs :D]

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chester Copperpot said:

Ok, wow, I now have a whole new twist on the cutout situation. To summarize what I have previously posted, mine cut out in mid December while walking off a small step.

As others have experienced, it would not turn on unless it was plugged into the charger. The wheel would not spin freely by hand. Ewheels said it is likely blown mostefs and is sending me a new board. 

I had previously sent my logs to IM. Last week I decided to email IM as suggested by Cecily to let them know to associate my log with my issues. They responded this morning asking for a video.

When I went to make a new video, it turned on and balanced like normal!!! I pushed it around the garage and ran it backwards and forwards and it acted like nothing had ever been wrong with it!!! That’s all I could do because I had to head to work.

Now I don’t know what this means. I most certainly don’t trust it. It tried turning it on probably 50 times in the past month in different scenarios and it never worked when not plugged in.

I’d found that if you put it in travel mode you could turn it on while not plugged in but as soon as you turn off travel mode and it tried to apply power to the motor it would instantly cut off.

All of those issues had been previously reported to Ewheels with video, so I’m not crazy, lol. 

Maybe inmotion pushed through an update to the wheel?

42 minutes ago, yoos said:

I am not sure this will work properly since this only recreates sudden tilts but there is no load. I assume that current is not a function of just tilt alone but more complicated than that. I would speculate that the very quick change in tilt produced by a curb makes the controller panic (the algorithm might extrapolate and think the wheel is about to tilt even further) and push an insane current as a response.

Still, the test is a good start and should be done. [Better yet, recreate the real cutout situation and do some curbs :D]

Hehe yeah no guarantee. I would try this test over and over if I had a V12 at hand now.

In terms of load, it's essentially only the kinetic energy from the wheel inertia (motor + tire weight) making it a flywheel.

I noticed that on Sherman, it's possible to overpower the motor that way, when changing direction: the power demands in such test can still be high. At the same time, on Sherman you have a really strong grip to do so with the front and rear handles, it might not be as easy to replicate with a V12.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

From reading this thread it sounds like people are wanting EUC manufacturers with Quality Assurance Standards eg ISO9001. The advantage of this is obvious but the downside is cost. If IM are to send out reps, do recalls etc etc to remedy the issues then that's great as long as we are prepared to pay for it. Ultimately we know we are taking a risk with this product especially first batches. If the alternative is businesses shut down and go bust how would you feel?

??? Makes no sense what I read here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Oh wow, you can trust nobody. Though I wonder if these mosfets are simply too small or have a too narrow margin for a wheel like the V12.

Great that Inmotion has a result and communicates it, though!

I doubt the mosfets are faulty, from what we read on electronics forums their simply not the proper mosfets for the job. If not like that, than a less-than-ideal quality wheel producer like Begode would not put in their wheels 25% margin mosfets for no reason. And if some of the 100 V mosfets are a little more resistant and pass the 100,8V test on V12 is pure luck, not because their manufacturer guaranties for it.

• Like 3

Just now, ESB said:

Hmm. Not very reassuring given what the person who went to ER last week said (200 miles. All good until it wasn’t).

Curious to see the instructions in the video. Props to ewheels for sending out mass email.

Would not trust it either, it’s just a matter of time.

Are the MOSFETs supposed to degrade with use if stressed with voltage and currents beyond their specs and close to their maximum capacity?

I'm thinking about: 100V MOSFETs, 100.8V wheel (beyond that when braking) passing the stress test then failing 1000km later due to degradation.

In case it's a thing.

Ping @RagingGrandpa 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

Would this mean Inmotion does not do independent test on controllers to make sure they function over certain limits? 

Besides having guinea pig testers, a manufacturer should have some equipment to test parts for failures. 

I'd only feel safer with a revamped board with bigger MOSFETs if that's the case. 

At the moment we have to trust that they do. But each time any manufacturer releases a wheel with a fault it doesn't fill me with confidence. Because this is still a new industry with lots to learn from trial and error and experience means we need to take on some of the 'risk' too. As long as we are aware of this then its OK. But as more and more people get into EUC's and it becomes more mainstream perhaps many aren't aware at all. In which case this is a problem.

Edited by The Brahan Seer