INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

1 hour ago, WillCO said:

EUCO is shipping their V12's, and mine is on the way (pre-ordered July 8), expected before the coming weekend......and I'll probably wait to ride it 'till InMotion gives us an idea as to what's up w/the cut-outs.     :( 

Almost same day preorder for me, on its way as well (although probably later)

Likewise I'll wait.

Have you talked to EUCO about it tho? In case hardware needs to be replaced as a fix, it might be more efficient to leave it at their warehouse until the problem is solved.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Have you talked about EUCO about it tho? In case hardware needs to be replaced as a fix, it might be more efficient to leave it at their warehouse until the problem is solved.

Thought about it, figured I'd rather have it in-hand rather than risk not being able to get one at all....

I'm guessing they'll still sell like hot-cakes, as there's probably a good percentage of folks who've not heard of the potential issues.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 10:38 PM, evans036 said:

FYI: i uploaded a display protector for the V12 to thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5172878

What CAD software do you use? I got a 3D printer for Christmas and tried to get into FreeCAD to make some stuff for my EUC, but holy smokes that software is a bitch and a half to use. Super unintuitive. I could more or less figure out Inkscape on my own, but Im lost with FreeCAD.

3 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

What CAD software do you use? I got a 3D printer for Christmas and tried to get into FreeCAD to make some stuff for my EUC, but holy smokes that software is a bitch and a half to use. Super unintuitive. I could more or less figure out Inkscape on my own, but Im lost with FreeCAD.

yeah, the CAD softwares all seem to have a steep learning curves.

this part was developed using Solidworks

good luck,

steve

• Like 2

@Gixxer probably not something to think about too much so feel free to completely ignore my question.

Adding the cost of busted gear to the hospital bill, excluding the health and potential work losses, how much Inmotion's QC fail is gonna cost you in total?

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Can we give them credit for 'caring' about customers' safety, as they let this happen to begin with? I can give e-wheels a little leeway, as they have to move a few units before they even can be aware that they need step in and protect their customers. However, manufacturers that 'care' rather than hurry for profit, are responsible for testing PRIOR to release. Nope, they got no free pass from me. Unacceptable! I won't fault e-wheels as I've seen Jason take losses because he really does care. I wonder who's idea the 'soft recall' (is inmotion buying back all 1st gen wheels and compensating retailers?) was. Was it because Inmo 'cares' about us, or 'cares' about profits? Perhaps its that a retailer cared enough to put the pressure on? I think its total bullshit, ALL of it. Proper product testing and QC would be the sign of someone who cares...:furious:

I'll be skipping Gotway and Inmo for another cycle it seems. Sadly, I'm running out of options. If this keeps up, I guess I'll be on my old wheels until they betray me. Itll become time to take a close look at the industry in total by then. If the status quo doesnt change by the time my wheels die, I'll invest in a jet pack instead. Hell, same dangers it seems, but at least It'll be obvious.

Well you're talking about a few wheels out of all the v12's out there. Not every single one is broken at the moment. There are a ton of people riding their v12's. What would you do if you were in their current situation? Do you think they knew these wheels would have defects? Do you know how many other companies have manufacturing defects? It's possible. Stop acting like some crying baby. 

Inmotion is doing what's necessary to fix a problem that's out there. They are communicating to us through these forums and taking the necessary steps to stop more defected wheels from entering the market. They are also sending replacement parts for people who have defected wheels.

If they were a company who didn't care about what happens to their customers then they would continue to sell their wheels. Instead they are recalling the wheels which are probably sitting at the port almost ready to be shipped out and taking a loss to fix it before it becomes a bigger issue. 

But keep on crying because that seems to be working for you. 

• Like 2

Judging by the videos I'm seeing, I'd wager that a quick fix is software based.

We are all thinking about overvoltage on the Mosfets, and if it is the case, letting the wheel charge at 90% max is already a (probably) sufficient step. But to me, it might be overcurrent problems. I have no problems going around 6kw on the app, and I'm not heavy nor tall (83kgs, 1m78). It seems a bit high to me...

Plus, the failure to pass minor bumps or low sidewalks indicates to me that the PID is too "trigger happy" and might overreact to certain terrain. To me, making sure peak current is not allowed above a certain value under a certain speed is paramount. It's all about linear time invariant system controls. Make the time where the burst of current occurs longer, but with less of a peak. The limit being of course the time needed to make sure the wheel doesn't fall faceplant or doesn't soften its pedals too much... It is less of a problem at higher speed, where the wheel has sufficient kinetic energy to smooth the torque demand, and thus the current demand. It makes sense to me, as an engineer. It might at least counteract the problem enough where it becomes a "soft pedal on some bumps" rather than "catastrophic cut out".

Tim

Edited by Timwheel
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

True indeed... and we've got very high expectations. Imagine the outcry if 1 in a 100 iPhones or Samsungs were defective. Or 1 in a thousand. And a phone that fails is quite a bit less likely to land you in the hospital.

Very eloquently put @Tawpie (the whole message)

4 hours ago, Timwheel said:

Judging by the videos I'm seeing, I'd wager that a quick fix is software based.

We are all thinking about overvoltage on the Mosfets, and if it is the case, letting the wheel charge at 90% max is already a (probably) sufficient step.

This is really bad advice: we already know that cutouts don't occur > 90 % SOC, this would prevent battery balancing, and give a false sense of security to whomever would believe that.

But to me, it might be overcurrent problems. I have no problems going around 6kw on the app, and I'm not heavy nor tall (83kgs, 1m78). It seems a bit high to me...

Plus, the failure to pass minor bumps or low sidewalks indicates to me that the PID is too "trigger happy" and might overreact to certain terrain. To me, making sure peak current is not allowed above a certain value under a certain speed is paramount. It's all about linear time invariant system controls. Make the time where the burst of current occurs longer, but with less of a peak. The limit being of course the time needed to make sure the wheel doesn't fall faceplant or doesn't soften its pedals too much... It is less of a problem at higher speed, where the wheel has sufficient kinetic energy to smooth the torque demand, and thus the current demand. It makes sense to me, as an engineer. It might at least counteract the problem enough where it becomes a "soft pedal on some bumps" rather than "catastrophic cut out".

Tim

I'm thinking along the same lines as well, but the fact that after at least one cutout, the wheel kept spinning like the algorithm didn't identify the >45° side angle condition would indicate there is likely multiple failures at play, or that there are multiple issues ongoing each with their own root cause(s)

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yoos said:

I am afraid that "early batches=beta testers" has become the universal rule. Manufacturers cannot afford lengthy testing (have some 20-50 test vehicles ride 1000 mile each under different use cases) - I suspect they even have a hard time finding someone over 100kg willing to testride at all. The tech is still advancing quickly each year yet the market is still small enough -- manufacturers are tempted (and give in) to rush wheels out rather sooner than later to get market share.

As usual there is some cultural difference: the west expects warranty and liability while in the east it's "use our products at your own peril". I can only hope that as the market grows testing will become more extensive, and safety margins will be increased if only to prevent reputation damage.

@Timwheel I fully agree, they should soften up the algorithm. This begs the question whether riding EUCs in soft mode is generally safer and better for internals (this also hints at a direct connection between the super-hard begode mode and their battery failures). Of course eventually inmotion should replace mosfets with considerably higher rated ones, but a max current limit might make the V12 reasonably safe and still usable in the meantime.

I'm not sure that soft mode would be safer per se. You could imagine a soft mode (i.e a "give" in the pedals) with extremely high current at the end of the dip to stop it from dipping further.

To me, if pedal dipping exists and if counteracting it means going above the components' specs, I'd say ring an alarm when the dip is too pronounced (pretty easy to do on an angular measurement I'd say) and the driver will stop leaning as much.

The V12 has high pedal clearance on its top notch. Letting the pedals dip a little bit on sidewalks or small bumps wouldn't be the end of the world, as clipping risks would be minimal, especially if it means no cut outs... Notice how none of those cut outs appear to be because of extreme riding, I leaned the V12 full tilt or with Powerpads, so much do that I know for a fact my MSX 84V would have given up, and never experienced any kind of failure.

To me, it could very well be software based with not enough headroom on the hardware side to forgive optimistic driving characteristics. At least that's my take on it, I could very well be wrong.

@supercurioThis was not an advice really... Only if it overvoltage is the cause does it make sense, and temporarly. When it comes to SOC, I might have a bad memory, but most of the failure I've seen occured above 90% precisely. At least that is what I thought I read on the spreadsheet, I might have to double check that.

Edited by Timwheel
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Timwheel said:

To me, if pedal dipping exists and if counteracting it means going above the components' specs, I'd say ring an alarm when the dip is too pronounced (pretty easy to do on an angular measurement I'd say) and the driver will stop leaning as much.

I'd say modern algorithms are sophisticated enough to distinguish an overlean from a bump. The bump is always an abrupt quick tilt caused by the momentum imparted by the curb or other colliding obstacle. Anyway, a most simple fix would be to simply globally limit the max current. This would lead to pedal dipping in certain scenarios, but the EUC would not die and you could recover balance. I guess most experienced riders do recognize a pedal dip caused by overpowering and can recover from it via body balancing [if it's not too severe]. At least I do such recovering from time to time since my 16S 420wh is underpowered. This is a better scenario than pumping a higher current and hoping the mosfets won't pop.

A current alarm would also be a good addition of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoos said:

A current alarm would also be a good addition of course.

The V11 warns if pushed too hard, I have no reason to believe that the V12 would be any different.